Forums59
Topics1,039,326
Posts13,962,866
Members144,199
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Is there a technique for managing a jumping bass? [Re: Brad R] #11016033 08/03/15 01:52 AM
T
Troutnout Offline
Angler
Angler
T
Rod In water... And start praying.....

Official Wannabe
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Is there a technique for managing a jumping bass? [Re: Brad R] #11016160 08/03/15 02:41 AM
T
T54 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
One of the reasons I like using high speed reels 7 to 8.5:1 is because it makes it a lot easier to keep them down.

Re: Is there a technique for managing a jumping bass? [Re: Brad R] #11016429 08/03/15 12:45 PM
JacksonBean Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Brad R
Eric,

I love to see them jump, too!

Just hate to lose them.

Dropping the rod down in the water makes so much sense: One has a fish on the other end of the line at, say a 45 deg. angle and if the fish is swimming away from the pressure, that is, out and or deeper, it feels more pressure since the fisherman and fish are both pulling in opposite directions. If it swims up, it feels less pressure and I suppose that reinforces the idea that it is going in the right direction.

Next thing you know, boom, the fish is flying.

Why didn't I think of this? I appreciate the advice!

I'll see if I can learn the technique.

Brad

Hey Brad,

Lots of great opinions on this subject. Just an FYI..... Arguably the hottest crank bait fisherman on the planet right now advises not to stick your rod into the water as this changes the dynamics of the rod which was designed to be used in air, not water. His theory is to reel as fast as you can when you see the breach about to happen to keep as much pressure on the hook as you can. As has been said..... Sometimes they throw the bait no matter what you do.

Tight lines,
J

[Linked Image]
Re: Is there a technique for managing a jumping bass? [Re: Dude Lebowski] #11016540 08/03/15 02:04 PM
B
bogey♂ Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Originally Posted By: Dude Lebowski
When they jump, I shoot'em from the hip with my six gun. frkazoid

clap roflmao

Originally Posted By: Dan90210 ☮
you know, nothing wrong with seven men who met on the internet going for a swim together
Re: Is there a technique for managing a jumping bass? [Re: Brad R] #11016582 08/03/15 02:32 PM
Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life) Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
right color, line, rod and good hooks will all keep your fish pinned even when they jump. That being said I keep rod down and reel fast always keep the line tight. Don't change your rod position or line angle before they jump just keep rod stable and pointing down. You want the line to be pull on the crankbait at the same angle u set the hook. Let your rod absorbe the head shakes and thrashing and just hold steady

Re: Is there a technique for managing a jumping bass? [Re: Brad R] #11016593 08/03/15 02:36 PM
5Redman8 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Sometimes you lose even when you do everything right and sometimes you win when you do everything wrong.

Re: Is there a technique for managing a jumping bass? [Re: JacksonBean] #11016661 08/03/15 03:16 PM
M
Mulholland Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Originally Posted By: JacksonBean
Originally Posted By: Brad R
Eric,

I love to see them jump, too!

Just hate to lose them.

Dropping the rod down in the water makes so much sense: One has a fish on the other end of the line at, say a 45 deg. angle and if the fish is swimming away from the pressure, that is, out and or deeper, it feels more pressure since the fisherman and fish are both pulling in opposite directions. If it swims up, it feels less pressure and I suppose that reinforces the idea that it is going in the right direction.

Next thing you know, boom, the fish is flying.

Why didn't I think of this? I appreciate the advice!

I'll see if I can learn the technique.

Brad

Hey Brad,

Lots of great opinions on this subject. Just an FYI..... Arguably the hottest crank bait fisherman on the planet right now advises not to stick your rod into the water as this changes the dynamics of the rod which was designed to be used in air, not water. His theory is to reel as fast as you can when you see the breach about to happen to keep as much pressure on the hook as you can. As has been said..... Sometimes they throw the bait no matter what you do.

Tight lines,
J

That is really an interesting take on the matter... I'd love to see some science backing up claims either direction, but regardless, I will still bunk my drop to keep them down. I have never had any negative dynamic impact on my rod behavior in water vs. air cost me a fish. I have had jumping fish throw hooks. As much as everyone here likes to pretend, we can't choose exactly how a fish takes the bait, and there are times you can land a 5lb fish with one single treble barb punched through only the cartilage of the corner of the mouth, not even really inside the lip but through it, from swiping at it. A fish like that jumping and headshaking is coming unbuttoned period. If you keep it down you have a chance. And once it's closer to the boat you can possible swing the bait back across it to get another hook it while playing the fish.

Keeping the fish down is important because once you are hooked up that is about the only way the fish can come off short of breaking off on structure. The only drawback form the water I imagine would be increasing the action of the rod, or making it act like a higher power, faster taper rod because of the resistance...if it did that in some significant way, you could lose a big fish on a hard run perhaps that you'd otherwise have kept pinned.. but I just can't see that being remotely as significant as keeping a fish from jumping. I'll keep kneeling on the deck with my rod tip 5ft under water like I'm praying when they surge upwards haha! Certainly one more fun mystery of fishing someone could do some scientific testing and show effects both ways and still be entirely up to personal preference

Re: Is there a technique for managing a jumping bass? [Re: Mulholland] #11017009 08/03/15 06:08 PM
JacksonBean Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Mulholland
.... I have never had any negative dynamic impact on my rod behavior in water vs. air cost me a fish.....

hmmm

[Linked Image]
Re: Is there a technique for managing a jumping bass? [Re: Brad R] #11017697 08/03/15 11:12 PM
Y
YAKaddict Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Y
I'll skim that fish all the way across the surface.......8.1:1 ratio, looks like the fish is skiing

Re: Is there a technique for managing a jumping bass? [Re: Troutnout] #11018391 08/04/15 03:14 AM
S
stetson Offline
Angler
Angler
S
Originally Posted By: Troutnout
Rod In water... And start praying.....

+1

Re: Is there a technique for managing a jumping bass? [Re: JacksonBean] #11019459 08/04/15 05:54 PM
M
Mulholland Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Originally Posted By: JacksonBean
.... I have never had any negative dynamic impact on my rod behavior in water vs. air cost me a fish.....

hmmm

Jumping fish throw hooks. Preventing fish form jumping is more important to me than being concerned with any hypothetical negative impact of putting the rod in the water. Was it confusingly worded or you just giving me a hard time or what?

Re: Is there a technique for managing a jumping bass? [Re: Mulholland] #11019611 08/04/15 06:55 PM
JacksonBean Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity

It's just pretty funny....

That is really an interesting take on the matter... I'd love to see some science backing up claims either direction, but regardless, I will still bunk my drop to keep them down. I have never had any negative dynamic impact on my rod behavior in water vs. air cost me a fish. Really? Prove it. wink You'd like to see science backing up the claim that materials behave differently in different mediums (air vs. water which is very basic physics) yet you state definitively that you've NEVER lost a fish because of sticking your rod in the water? See the comedy in this? I have had jumping fish throw hooks. As much as everyone here likes to pretend, we can't choose exactly how a fish takes the bait, and there are times you can land a 5lb fish with one single treble barb punched through only the cartilage of the corner of the mouth, not even really inside the lip but through it, from swiping at it. A fish like that jumping and headshaking is coming unbuttoned period. If you keep it down you have a chance. And once it's closer to the boat you can possible swing the bait back across it to get another hook it while playing the fish.

Keeping the fish down is important because once you are hooked up that is about the only way the fish can come off short of breaking off on structure. Again.... Very interesting. Fish come off of hooks all of the time under water. It happens. Anyone that fishes enough knows that fish come off for a variety of reasons many of which we don't get to find out about. The only drawback form the water I imagine would be increasing the action of the rod, or making it act like a higher power, faster taper rod because of the resistance...if it did that in some significant way, you could lose a big fish on a hard run perhaps that you'd otherwise have kept pinned.. but I just can't see that being remotely as significant as keeping a fish from jumping. You realize though that just because you don't understand the principle, though you've done a good job working through the logic, it still remains the same. I used to do the same..... stick my rod tip down in the water and unfortunately fish still jump no matter how badly you don't want them to. I'll keep kneeling on the deck with my rod tip 5ft under water like I'm praying when they surge upwards haha! Certainly one more fun mystery of fishing someone could do some scientific testing and show effects both ways and still be entirely up to personal preference

I'm just letting you know what a guy who fishes for a living believes. And when I say he fishes for a living I mean that he has a lot of money riding on the fish he hooks and in his experience, reeling very quickly works best.

But Brad R gets to choose how he wants to do it based upon everyone's input. wink

[Linked Image]
Re: Is there a technique for managing a jumping bass? [Re: Brad R] #11019660 08/04/15 07:11 PM
M
Mulholland Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Yeah... one professional angler... what if 100 other pro anglers say the opposite? Do you still have the huge chip on your shoulder? My point was his opinion was still that, an opinion. And yes, I can prove to myself I don't have fish come off form my rod being in the water... are you challenged in some way? It was an anecdote based on my personal experience. I haven't had any fish come off from my shoving my rod deep in the water. I have had fish come off from jumping. I have had shoving my rod in the water stop fish from jumping. Are you still keeping up with the logic and deductive reasoning here? Excellent, onward then!

This applies directly towards a situation where a fish makes a run upwards and you need to keep it down, not any situation where a fish normally breaks off underwater, so your argument is 100% invalid as it has nothing to do with what we are discussing. Yes, lots of fish break off underwater. IF my rod isn't in the water in an attempt to keep them form jumping, obviously it is 100% impossible that my rod being in the water aided the fish in breaking off.

I am not saying you can keep 100% of fish from jumping, but the simple mathematics of it is if your rod tip is above the water line and you are pulling against the fish, you are pulling that fish above the water line. So if the fish stops fighting you and swimming away and runs up, the only thing you can physically do to apply any vector of force on the direction of travel of that fish is to move the anchor point to below the water line, putting pressure to keep him beneath it.

You are wrong on every level as far as the "simple physics" that back the potential "opinions" being expressed by any parties. The physics 100% fully back everything I have said and practice, which is mirrors by every other angler I have had experience with.

I'm far from a pro though and would love to see how many of them share the opinion you did. I am glad you are very proud and trusting of the experience and info you got form 1 single source, but given hundreds of equally reputable and qualified experts, I'd rather take the info from everyone than one random person. You're welcome to handle it however you want though, as am I or anyone else for that matter.

Even if one opted not to dip their rod, I don't reckon it's because it'd cost you a fish but because you'd rather simply ski the fish in as mentioned by others. The reason you listed is previously, to me at least, unheard of.

Re: Is there a technique for managing a jumping bass? [Re: Mulholland] #11019729 08/04/15 07:36 PM
JacksonBean Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Yeah... one professional angler... what if 100 other pro anglers say the opposite? Do you still have the huge chip on your shoulder? My point was his opinion was still that, an opinion. And yes, I can prove to myself I don't have fish come off form my rod being in the water... are you challenged in some way? It was an anecdote based on my personal experience. I haven't had any fish come off from my shoving my rod deep in the water. I have had fish come off from jumping. I have had shoving my rod in the water stop fish from jumping. Are you still keeping up with the logic and deductive reasoning here? Excellent, onward then!

This applies directly towards a situation where a fish makes a run upwards and you need to keep it down, not any situation where a fish normally breaks off underwater, so your argument is 100% invalid as it has nothing to do with what we are discussing. Yes, lots of fish break off underwater. IF my rod isn't in the water in an attempt to keep them form jumping, obviously it is 100% impossible that my rod being in the water aided the fish in breaking off.

I am not saying you can keep 100% of fish from jumping, but the simple mathematics of it is if your rod tip is above the water line and you are pulling against the fish, you are pulling that fish above the water line. So if the fish stops fighting you and swimming away and runs up, the only thing you can physically do to apply any vector of force on the direction of travel of that fish is to move the anchor point to below the water line, putting pressure to keep him beneath it.

You are wrong on every level as far as the "simple physics" that back the potential "opinions" being expressed by any parties. The physics 100% fully back everything I have said and practice, which is mirrors by every other angler I have had experience with.

I'm far from a pro though and would love to see how many of them share the opinion you did. I am glad you are very proud and trusting of the experience and info you got form 1 single source, but given hundreds of equally reputable and qualified experts, I'd rather take the info from everyone than one random person. You're welcome to handle it however you want though, as am I or anyone else for that matter.

Even if one opted not to dip their rod, I don't reckon it's because it'd cost you a fish but because you'd rather simply ski the fish in as mentioned by others. The reason you listed is previously, to me at least, unheard of.

Got you fired up did I? Oh goodness.....

Maybe I should elaborate on why I quoted the one source. I'm a marshal for the Bassmaster Elites. I like riding around with the pros to learn from them and pick their brains so that I can become a better fisherman. Do you know how many of them I've ever seen dip their rod in the water to keep a fish from jumping? Zero..... Not one. The reason I was highlighting what Keith Combs believes is because he's regarding as being one of the best with a crank bait which I think many would agree is the lure most likely to be thrown by an angry bass. So yes.... He's a bit of an authority regarding jumping bass if you've been keeping up with his performance over the last few years. Equally as important... What do the guides who fish for a living think? Care to review Mr. Molone's post above? What about one of our local big fish celebs Mr. Ken A. who also posted above? I don't know about you but I fish with a lot of guides every year and I have yet to see one do as you mention.

My point is that you can't discount an opinion because you don't understand it. A common theme in your posts is telling people that their argument is "invalid" because of one reason or another and it's just funny when you use backward logic to arrive at some asinine conclusion in the same paragraph.

You can say I'm wrong at the "simple physics" you fail to grasp yet that's all hot air. You can't force us to believe any such nonsense because you slept through such courses.

Keep burying your rod tip in the water.... Please. wink

[Linked Image]
Re: Is there a technique for managing a jumping bass? [Re: Brad R] #11019739 08/04/15 07:38 PM
S
SheCrappieKilla Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
When shoving your rod tip under water, what if the fish gets hung up in the water displacement air bag and rips a big hole in the air bag?

Just wondering if your rod tip would still be under water?
bolt

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide