Forums59
Topics1,039,337
Posts13,963,100
Members144,199
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Tharp and Erhler has no waypoints going into the TTBC [Re: lamoon78] #10891259 06/03/15 01:18 AM
Kevin Sharp Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted By: lamoon78
I think you would be suprised how many get local help from guides and some of the good sticks that spend alot of time on that paticular body of water they will be fishing. I know they do it I know numerous people that they get it from but hey if they can get away with it then to each his own but I dont and never will agree with it and think its totally wrong. To the few that dont I respect them more as a angler than the ones that do. Thats just my outlook on it.

I have no idea how many of the pros you rode with during the TTBC, but I rode with three of them. Not only did they not have waypoints, they didn't even know where they could run. I did ask Mark Rose and Jason Christie why they were fishing the spots they were and both said they were just on points in front of spawning coves. Greg Hackney on day two said he was just running bank looking to catch a fish big enough to win a truck. He was fishing Little Caney and asked me twice if it was ok to run where we were.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Tharp and Erhler has no waypoints going into the TTBC [Re: lamoon78] #10891301 06/03/15 01:34 AM
F
Fishspanker Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
F
Originally Posted By: lamoon78
I think you would be suprised how many get local help from guides and some of the good sticks that spend alot of time on that paticular body of water they will be fishing. I know they do it I know numerous people that they get it from but hey if they can get away with it then to each his own but I dont and never will agree with it and think its totally wrong. To the few that dont I respect them more as a angler than the ones that do. Thats just my outlook on it.

In 7 years of riding with them in the TTBC two things are common. They all say that fishing memories is a sure way to lose. Also that info doesn't mean much. They like to let the fish tell them what to do . The info they do like is from others in their group of a elite pros they hang out with. It's tough out there to make it alone. Most have a small group that helps each other find a pattern that had a chance of at least cashing a check.

Info is also a good way to get help losing. It cuts both ways .

Last edited by Fishspanker; 06/03/15 01:46 AM.

The Sheep who only fears the Wolf is eaten by the Shepherd.
Re: Tharp and Erhler had no waypoints going into the TTBC [Re: Mark Perry] #10891311 06/03/15 01:38 AM
Monte Coon Offline
Coon's Bar & Grill
Coon's Bar & Grill
Great article and having had the opportunity to fish with Brent in the Pro-Am it was obvious he had no way points he would be running up the lake and see something on his map like a creek channel and follow it for miles zigging and zagging back and forth pointing out what he saw. He mentioned to us that he had caught several good ones the day before in 35 feet of water and he had no idea they lived that deep on Fork. We spent about half of our 3 hour tournament time just riding around looking it was pretty cool.

[Linked Image]
Monte Coon | Sales Manager | Moritz Chevrolet | 817-696-2003

www.facebook.com/MoritzFortWorth
www.moritzchevrolet.com
www.dobynsrods.com
www.funnsunboats.com
Re: Tharp and Erhler had no waypoints going into the TTBC [Re: Mark Perry] #10891688 06/03/15 04:22 AM
C
chickenfried76 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
for the average spare weekend guy like me, i think waypoints are good and bad. i'm not a big fan of tournament fishing, but it is very cool to see a guy go to fork or any lake with limited or no information and do well. it shows that they can read the conditions and execute. that kind of intuitiveness is a trait that all successful people hold.

personally when i go fishing, i always getted trapped in hitting "my spots". too often i leave the lake not loading the boat with fish. this is a great lesson in going blind, just reading the maps and conditions to know where fish should be holding. reading this gives me more confidence, albeit possilbly stupid bull-headed confidence, in looking at a shallow or deep water spot and fishing the conditions.

the good pro guys go on instinct, and it is paying off. i plan to employ this same kind of instinct when hitting the lake next time the ramps open around DFW.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide