Forums59
Topics1,039,898
Posts13,971,873
Members144,222
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Hoop nets, wire nets, and wooden traps [Re: TIM CLINE] #10830044 05/09/15 10:26 AM
M
maxj Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
fish I have been an avid trotline fisherman for 50+ years BUT, I can't understand why anyone who puts a line in the water doesn't take it out when his is finished. Also, if you tie your line to a tree why can't you go back to the tree and remove the whole line with out leaving 6-8 ft. of cord hanging from your tree to cause others problems.

Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Hoop nets, wire nets, and wooden traps [Re: Aixsponsa] #10830123 05/09/15 12:33 PM
C
ChuChu1 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
My Dad taught me the joys of trotlining in the early 1950's. We caught our bait, set our lines, and ran them every four hours. We usually set them out on Friday evening and took them up Sunday afternoon. The rest of the week was work for Dad. We did this every couple of months. He taught me to keep the hooks out of the boat when attaching them to the mainline, baiting and removing fish. We took the lines home and strung them out to dry before storing for the next trip. Even back in the 50's there were some that never removed their lines and they were not a problem. Even the fish camp at the lake had rental lines that people could rent. These were made from aircraft cable. They never bothered anyone. All this worked for years, and then bass fishing became popular and out of towners came to Lake Wood. Then all the problems began. Lines cut, threats when people were caught running or cutting lines, lines pulled out of the water and hung up in trees. It boiled till there was a shooting that resulted in the death of one man and another wounded.
Today there are few trotlines, no one wants to do the work for someone else to cut them. What has developed, are many many drop or limb lines. Well camouflaged and unmarked. After a rise in the river, it is a slow, watchful trip down the river looking for lines hanging from trees with a hook just about head high in a bass boat. Mother nature hung them in the tree, but a man tied the knot.Some lines are really old, but some are still fairly new. But nylon line lasts a long time. Steel hooks usually rust away, but the stainless are forever.
I haven't set any lines in a long time, but I remember the fun.
I believe a crab trap clean up type of clean up would work for trotlines and jug lines. TP&W can declare a month that no lines can be set and coordinate volunteers to clear any remaining lines.

Snowflakes and entitled brats will be the doom of America!

Re: Hoop nets, wire nets, and wooden traps [Re: ChuChu1] #10830469 05/09/15 03:54 PM
B
Bittercreek Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Originally Posted By: ChuChu1
Originally Posted By: redchevy
That is the direction catfishing is taking now. Is that what you want?

Not me.

Not me either!

No Sir. Not in this Camp!

Re: Hoop nets, wire nets, and wooden traps [Re: TIM CLINE] #10830789 05/09/15 06:12 PM
S
Slow Drifter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted By: TIM CLINE
In stead of talking bans, how about pursuing something like the crab trap cleanup? It works and would work on abandoned trotlines.

That is great idea problem is only a Game Warden can legally remove them. It would have to be organized with TP&W.

It already is organized with TP&W (crab-trap removal, that is). Has been for a few years. Nothing negative meant by this post. I've taken part in several cleanups and the organizers make it a fun time.

http://www.ccatexas.org/2015-texas-crab-trap-removal-program/

Last edited by Slow Drifter; 05/09/15 06:14 PM.

SD

[Linked Image]
Re: Hoop nets, wire nets, and wooden traps [Re: Slow Drifter] #10830853 05/09/15 06:57 PM
C
ChuChu1 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Originally Posted By: Slow Drifter
In stead of talking bans, how about pursuing something like the crab trap cleanup? It works and would work on abandoned trotlines.

That is great idea problem is only a Game Warden can legally remove them. It would have to be organized with TP&W.

It already is organized with TP&W (crab-trap removal, that is). Has been for a few years. Nothing negative meant by this post. I've taken part in several cleanups and the organizers make it a fun time.

The crab trap cleanup has been very successful. I think something along that line can be done for abandoned trotlines and other fishing lines.

Snowflakes and entitled brats will be the doom of America!

Re: Hoop nets, wire nets, and wooden traps [Re: Aixsponsa] #10830863 05/09/15 07:05 PM
B
Bob Landry Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Bass fishermen seem to enjoy their own style of rudeness. They think nothing about plowing through boats to get to that next hole, but God forbid a guy fishing with his son create a wake going by them.. I try to be polite on the water, but in reality, I'm only going to give what I get.

2015 Seaark 1872 MV CC Etec-90
Two Helix 12 CHIRP SI's, , MinnKota Riptide ST80/i-pilot Link, Bob's Hydraulic
2020 Robalo R200 CC, Yamaha 150

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Re: Hoop nets, wire nets, and wooden traps [Re: ChuChu1] #10830872 05/09/15 07:10 PM
S
Slow Drifter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted By: Slow Drifter

The crab trap cleanup has been very successful. I think something along that line can be done for abandoned trotlines and other fishing lines.

That's kinda' what I was thinking. Close the state to trot and jug lines for the same 10 days and have "cleanups" with designated disposal sites. (Pretty much a trash can at every ramp)

SD

[Linked Image]
Re: Hoop nets, wire nets, and wooden traps [Re: Aixsponsa] #10830959 05/09/15 07:54 PM
T
texdanm Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
I'll tell you, I put too much work into my jug lines and trotlines to just use them once and leave them to rot. Jugging is great fun for family fishing with kids.

What I dislike more than anything is people that mostly want to take the pleasure out of my favorite pastimes. Sadly that seems to have become one of the favorite pastimes of too many people these days. You can't go anywhere anymore without finding the Grenches stirring the pot. That is one reason that I do nearly all of my fishing Monday through Friday these days.

Last edited by texdanm; 05/09/15 07:55 PM.

You know that old saying "Some people march to the beat of a different drummer."? I don't listen to a drum at all and have meandered through life instead of marching.
Re: Hoop nets, wire nets, and wooden traps [Re: texdanm] #10832439 05/10/15 03:02 PM
T
Twistedmidnite Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Originally Posted By: texdanm
I'll tell you, I put too much work into my jug lines and trotlines to just use them once and leave them to rot. Jugging is great fun for family fishing with kids.

What I dislike more than anything is people that mostly want to take the pleasure out of my favorite pastimes. Sadly that seems to have become one of the favorite pastimes of too many people these days. You can't go anywhere anymore without finding the Grenches stirring the pot. That is one reason that I do nearly all of my fishing Monday through Friday these days.

I'm with this guy...

Last edited by Twistedmidnite; 05/10/15 03:18 PM.
Re: Hoop nets, wire nets, and wooden traps [Re: texdanm] #10832470 05/10/15 03:17 PM
T
Twistedmidnite Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Originally Posted By: texdanm

it's prolly the bass fishers leaving the old trotlines too. They want to try fish for the first time so they run to Wal-Mart and buy a trotline. Put it in a terrible place and catch no fish so they just leave it...it's all speculation of course

Last edited by Twistedmidnite; 05/10/15 03:18 PM.
Re: Hoop nets, wire nets, and wooden traps [Re: Aixsponsa] #10833860 05/11/15 02:00 AM
A
Aixsponsa Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
A
Twisted midnight I think you're right about people setting them in terrible places then leaving them, at least for many of them.

Then there's the people that just don't care about things that matter to others, an example being someone that won't think twice about throwing a week's worth of trash off of a river bridge, I have no reason to believe that type of person would care much about what they leave in a lake.

If you can either quickly or quietly switch out shells, you can bring home almost anything.
Re: Hoop nets, wire nets, and wooden traps [Re: ChuChu1] #10834316 05/11/15 07:19 AM
O
opus Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
O
Originally Posted By: Bob Landry
Someone help me understand the difference between someone who catches 25 fish on a trotline or jugline and a fishing guide who takes out 4 people, fishing with rod and reel, and comes back in with 100 fish. Harvesting is wrong regardless of how it's done, taking limits of legal fish is ok regardless of how it's done.

Nothing is wrong and their is no difference.

Why trotlines and jugs are bad:
1. bass fishermen hang their lures on trotlines.
2. there is a misguided belief that trotlines and jugs kill "their" big fish
3. someone is having fun and catching a few of "their" fish for their families.
4. some cannot allow a man and his kids on vacation have a good time and catch a few fish on jugs or trotlines.
5. because they are bored and need something to b***h about.
6. some of those are guides that catch a lot of fish for their clients and they think someone catching THEIR catfish somehow reduces their income.

I used to support the guides and their catch and release, but since they have taken the misguided belief that they should set rules and regulations for their benefit and cut the ordinary fisherman out of being able to enjoy their style of fishing, I no longer will support them and will do everything I can to stop their agenda.
Look at bass fishing. Used to be fun to go to the lake and catch a few and take some home to eat. I witnessed a man cleaning three bass, one about 5 pounds he had caught at Coleto Creek. Their was a couple of guys loading up to go home, and saw what he was doing. They ridiculed him to the point that his about 7 years old son was crying.
That is the direction catfishing is taking now. Is that what you want?
thumb

Re: Hoop nets, wire nets, and wooden traps [Re: Twistedmidnite] #10835399 05/11/15 05:38 PM
B
Bob Landry Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted By: Twistedmidnite
I tell ya what I got to gripe about...big ol bass boats running by me on plane while I'm catfishing in my flatbottom. I've took water over the front several times. Prolly gonna dround some young kids some day.

Anyone know if were gonna get bowfishing for catfish back this year? I heard it was a possibility this September

Same here Unfortunately bass fishermen have the mentality that allow them to really believe that their boats have two speeds, wide open and off. What's even more amazing are the number of people who post bass boats for sale in the classifieds thinking that someone really want ro buy a boat that has been run WOT it's entire life. I guess it takes all kinds.

2015 Seaark 1872 MV CC Etec-90
Two Helix 12 CHIRP SI's, , MinnKota Riptide ST80/i-pilot Link, Bob's Hydraulic
2020 Robalo R200 CC, Yamaha 150

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Re: Hoop nets, wire nets, and wooden traps [Re: Aixsponsa] #10835540 05/11/15 06:12 PM
R
redchevy Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
I have never fished the north texas lakes, but another contributing factor to abandoned trotlines is being lost. I learned fishing as a kid in Choke Canyon when it was 20-24 foot low, picture a flooded regrowth mequite field where everything looks the same for miles on end. Lots of people set stuff and drive away and never find it again. Or set it and then the next day it storms and they cant get out to pull it and they vaca is over and end up leaving. I have never done either of those, but have seen both happen.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide