Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Boat position in the wind [Re: Garvin] #10777745 04/18/15 09:37 PM
J
JPost Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
I've read that Tournament bass fishing dramatically changed fishing strategies back in the 70s. Running and gunning became popular as getting your sack full was the priority. I don't do it much myself, but anchoring and really fishing a specific location can produce great catches if you have the patience to do it.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Boat position in the wind [Re: Garvin] #10777928 04/18/15 11:41 PM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Your boat looks so light that a windsock should be a noticeable improvement. You might even try 2 socks. You can make your own out of a scrap piece of tarp to give it a try before you buy one. The nice thing about them is that they will slow the drift in wind but don't really effect your trolling motor if you want to fish a shoreline and stay straight.

Re: Boat position in the wind [Re: Garvin] #10777953 04/18/15 11:55 PM
D
djones03 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
Im not trying to be a debbie downer, but am in the same situation, bought a drift sock and still got blew all over the lake. Maybe two would work, but id probably get them tangled up with each other. Ive tried anchoring and the wind just drags the anchor behind my boat. Flat side aluminums like yours and mine are just not made for open water fishing. Im in the market for a fiberglass boat to see if that will help the problem.

Re: Boat position in the wind [Re: Garvin] #10778776 04/19/15 01:20 PM
D
DarrellSimpson Offline
Angler
Angler
D
I went out with a guide who has a aluminum boat. it was windy. He used inexpensive rope and land scape bricks as anchors. It worked o.k. but he still had to stay on the trolling motor to make corrections, but the bricks slowed the changes down and if you lose one its only a few dollars. But darn that Terra nova looks like the way to go. Can anyone say if they have a decent reliability, with all the electronics I cant help but wonder how long the service life would be.

Re: Boat position in the wind [Re: djones03] #10778792 04/19/15 01:33 PM
F
Frank the Tank Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
F
Originally Posted By: djones03
Im not trying to be a debbie downer, but am in the same situation, bought a drift sock and still got blew all over the lake. Maybe two would work, but id probably get them tangled up with each other. Ive tried anchoring and the wind just drags the anchor behind my boat. Flat side aluminums like yours and mine are just not made for open water fishing. Im in the market for a fiberglass boat to see if that will help the problem.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the fact remains, unless you're willing to tie up, fiberglass, bigger boat is the answer. Trust me, I know from experience. After two tin rigs, one of which was almost 20 feet long and would get blown around like a kite.

Jesus loves all of us
Re: Boat position in the wind [Re: Garvin] #10778803 04/19/15 01:39 PM
Garvin Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
I think what I'll do is try the double mushrooms, one on each cleat, and if that doesn't work, then I'll add a sock. If that doesn't work, then it looks like I'll have a great excuse to upgrade to a glass boat.

Just ONCE I'd like for someone to call me "Sir" without adding, "please stop making a scene."

"The problem with quotes on the internet is having to ascertain whether or not they are genuine." -- Abraham Lincoln
Re: Boat position in the wind [Re: Garvin] #10778826 04/19/15 01:56 PM
F
Fish Art Texas Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
my best advice for all trolling motors is to go hand control.you can keep both feet on the floor and relax better while stand up fishing ,which most serious fisherman do. hand control motors break down far less often than those with cable systems_fewer parts _easy to fix.add a simple push pull handle and you are ready to fish!it is the way to in texas _we have wind most all the time.!

Joe Spurgin
Re: Boat position in the wind [Re: Fish Art Texas] #10778918 04/19/15 03:00 PM
plasma800 Offline
Angler
Angler
Originally Posted By: Fish Art Texas
my best advice for all trolling motors is to go hand control.you can keep both feet on the floor and relax better while stand up fishing ,which most serious fisherman do. hand control motors break down far less often than those with cable systems_fewer parts _easy to fix.add a simple push pull handle and you are ready to fish!it is the way to in texas _we have wind most all the time.!

There are times when I wish i my foot control was a hand lever control (like almost everytime I use it) smile

Re: Boat position in the wind [Re: Garvin] #10779056 04/19/15 04:54 PM
W
Washington Bass Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
I had a similar problem with my alum boat, know what I did? Learned I can catch shallow fish year round In the right places and cover. If I want to fish banks in the wind I motor up wind and drift down bank, then run back up, or tie to trees or anchor. Don't let the wind ruin your day, find a way to fish it, it's not required to spend money on poles or terrovas until you are fishing big tourneys with a 19+ bass boat. But If you have a few grand to spend go ahead.

Originally Posted By: lakeforkfisherman
I can backlash toilet paper.

PB: 7.8 @ Ladybird
Re: Boat position in the wind [Re: Garvin] #10779116 04/19/15 05:49 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
WIND SOCK - These show WIND DIRECTION at airports.
DRIFT SOCK - THIS is what anglers use in the water!

In my early boat-owner days I went through 3 small boats, two alum. and one fiberglass. I learned the value of drift socks decades ago when Lake Okeechobee was my home water and still use them today even though I have been in 20+ foot fiberglass boats for 20 years. I currently carry 3 size choices in my boat and have been known to deploy two of them at once. Nobody really needs three - I simply up-sized and kept the extra one in the boat.

Dragging anchor is a no-no according to many experts (and I agree). Even if the fish forget, you may leave a muddy trail on the bottom or tear up the cover holding them. The dragging also sounds better than it works because it can either hang up, or slip so fast that you move faster than if you had used a drift sock. I would not hesitate to use a 48 inch drift sock with your boat. It is better to have big than not enough, trust me. It only needs a short line, rarely gets hung on anything, and will weigh a lot less than adding another anchor to the boat also!

Re: Boat position in the wind [Re: Flippin-Out] #10779133 04/19/15 06:04 PM
Garvin Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
Originally Posted By: Flippin-Out
WIND SOCK - These show WIND DIRECTION at airports.
DRIFT SOCK - THIS is what anglers use in the water!

In my early boat-owner days I went through 3 small boats, two alum. and one fiberglass. I learned the value of drift socks decades ago when Lake Okeechobee was my home water and still use them today even though I have been in 20+ foot fiberglass boats for 20 years. I currently carry 3 size choices in my boat and have been known to deploy two of them at once. Nobody really needs three - I simply up-sized and kept the extra one in the boat.

Dragging anchor is a no-no according to many experts (and I agree). Even if the fish forget, you may leave a muddy trail on the bottom or tear up the cover holding them. The dragging also sounds better than it works because it can either hang up, or slip so fast that you move faster than if you had used a drift sock. I would not hesitate to use a 48 inch drift sock with your boat. It is better to have big than not enough, trust me. It only needs a short line, rarely gets hung on anything, and will weigh a lot less than adding another anchor to the boat also!

Those are great points. Thanks very much.

Just ONCE I'd like for someone to call me "Sir" without adding, "please stop making a scene."

"The problem with quotes on the internet is having to ascertain whether or not they are genuine." -- Abraham Lincoln
Re: Boat position in the wind [Re: Washington Bass] #10779147 04/19/15 06:17 PM
Garvin Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
Originally Posted By: Washington Bass
I had a similar problem with my alum boat, know what I did? Learned I can catch shallow fish year round In the right places and cover. If I want to fish banks in the wind I motor up wind and drift down bank, then run back up, or tie to trees or anchor.

That's exactly what I've been doing; fishing shallow, going upwind and working my way back downwind to save battery time and not having to fight the current.
But I've also been wanting to explore deep structure and been trying to figure out how to do it in my lightweight boat. And I did mention earlier I don't have the budget for stuff like a Terrova. If I did, I'd also own a proper bass boat...

Re: Boat position in the wind [Re: Garvin] #10779223 04/19/15 06:57 PM
B
beeflover Offline
Angler
Angler
B
I really don't like the idea of dragging mushroom anchors, they will drag up a bunch of mud and that mud will blow right back on your spot. you can make a drift sock simply draggin a 5 gal bucket but a real drift sock is much better. Don't buy a small cheap one get a good sized one $60 bucks or so. Drag it from the bow and it will really stabilize the front of the boat and keep it from swinging all over.

I started with boats similar to yours and found I could idle the big motor just fast enough to nearly match the wind then minimize the bow swing with the drift sock and move the boat around with the trolling motor. Really works good for holding that spot on a spot.

If you wanna anchor then get a spike type that will really hold then swing on a long rope back and forth over the fish. You can control the length of the swing by letting out or pulling in rope. You will be surprised at the water you can cover swinging on a long rope with the good anchor. You can cover the whole end of a point or big rockpile for instance. No motor noise either. These are tried an true tactics from way back walleye fishing

Try these tactics before you spend thousands on a glass boat because then you won't want to pull an anchor into the new boat and get it dirty!

Last edited by beeflover; 04/19/15 07:04 PM.
Re: Boat position in the wind [Re: Garvin] #10781588 04/20/15 05:36 PM
D
Darryl Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
I found the chene anchor to work well. I have the big one and a second small one. I have 100' of anchor rope on each. The big one will hold in pretty rough stuff and not drag on the bottom like a mushroom. I also have a large drift sock to slow me down.

And I will second the bigger trolling motor. I went to a 24volt 70#... still get blown around, but I can get back to where I was faster.

http://www.basspro.com/Chene-Anchors/product/850/

Re: Boat position in the wind [Re: Garvin] #10782318 04/20/15 09:17 PM
C
cove_crawler Offline
Angler
Angler
C
I fish in an 18 foot tracker, and yes, wind is and always will be an issue with these aluminum boats. BUT... I can fish offshore structure pretty dang efficiently. You just have to have a big enough trolling motor to handle it. I've got a 24v 70 on my tracker, and can use it in up to 20-25 mph and stay in places I want, or move around against the wind. It can be done. The hard part is to learn to drive the trolling motor while doing everything...fishing, catching, releasing, retying...everything. Because, as you know....if you let off of it...you'll be blown off your spot easy. But even still, if you have the proper size trolling motor and you do have to get off of it for a minute, you can crank it up and get back on your spot quickly.

Is it ideal....no. But for my situation, the pros outweigh the cons on the alum vs glass comparison, so I do what I need to do to fish where I want to fish.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide