Forums59
Topics1,041,289
Posts13,997,382
Members144,251
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Lake Record fish - Question [Re: TexasBassBuster] #10768287 04/14/15 11:34 PM
T
Thad Rains Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
Besides length, get circumference size too. You do not have to weigh it on certified scales, all you need is a picture, length and circumference measurements and submit it to TPWD, or that was the way it was when I caught the Lake Lewisville LMB record of 11-8. Didn't have a camera when I fished Lake Alan Henry the previous week, or I would still have the SMB record there. 20" X 14" and weighed on a scale at 3-12, even though we guessed her at 5 lbs. Hope this helps.

Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains

Thad Rains
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Lake Record fish - Question [Re: timwins31] #10768307 04/14/15 11:44 PM
T
TexasBassBuster Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
T
Originally Posted By: timwins31
I've never really understood the joy in filling a vacant lake record spot with just any keeper fish. When I see that a 3lb bass is the lake record somewhere I just wonder to myself what person would go thru the trouble of getting a small fish certified. Seems pointless unless you just want to see your name on a list.

I see where you are coming from its no challenge other than just doing it. I want to be on the website and get a certificate and all that nonsense. It might not mean anything to anybody else but I think its neat. Another factor would be bragging rights. The main reason though is Ive been fishing this lake for 25+ years. Ever since I can remember and im only 31 years old. Somehow I guess this ties me to my favorite lake in my mind of course. Plus I hope I can pursuade people to want to fly fish more and try to break their favorite lakes records. Im sure this is all cheesy but hey someone had to first submit all the records there are currently...
Without them this would not be a topic.

Re: Lake Record fish - Question [Re: Thad Rains] #10768313 04/14/15 11:47 PM
T
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
T
Originally Posted By: Thad Rains
Besides length, get circumference size too. You do not have to weigh it on certified scales, all you need is a picture, length and circumference measurements and submit it to TPWD, or that was the way it was when I caught the Lake Lewisville LMB record of 11-8. Didn't have a camera when I fished Lake Alan Henry the previous week, or I would still have the SMB record there. 20" X 14" and weighed on a scale at 3-12, even though we guessed her at 5 lbs. Hope this helps.

Thad Rains

Congrats on your record.
Thank you for your help.

Re: Lake Record fish - Question [Re: TexasBassBuster] #10768820 04/15/15 02:48 AM
T
timwins31 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: TexasBassBuster
Originally Posted By: timwins31
I've never really understood the joy in filling a vacant lake record spot with just any keeper fish. When I see that a 3lb bass is the lake record somewhere I just wonder to myself what person would go thru the trouble of getting a small fish certified. Seems pointless unless you just want to see your name on a list.

I see where you are coming from its no challenge other than just doing it. I want to be on the website and get a certificate and all that nonsense. It might not mean anything to anybody else but I think its neat. Another factor would be bragging rights. The main reason though is Ive been fishing this lake for 25+ years. Ever since I can remember and im only 31 years old. Somehow I guess this ties me to my favorite lake in my mind of course. Plus I hope I can pursuade people to want to fly fish more and try to break their favorite lakes records. Im sure this is all cheesy but hey someone had to first submit all the records there are currently...
Without them this would not be a topic.

To each his own right. Good luck man, hope you catch a giant.

Re: Lake Record fish - Question [Re: TexasBassBuster] #10768883 04/15/15 03:09 AM
1442 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I've submitted a few junior records for kids that have fished with me and have one warmouth record myself.
The scales used to weigh the fish had to be certified, or they could be certified within a short time after the weighing to make the record legit.

the requirements are explained well on the tpwd fish records and awards web page and the forms can be printed from there as well.
I keep copies in my boat and truck in case they are needed, mostly by junior anglers but you never know when it might happen. I'm ready in case I break the Rayburn bass record this weekend in the mc donalds tourney. juggle

Re: Lake Record fish - Question [Re: 1442] #10768926 04/15/15 03:30 AM
T
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
T
Originally Posted By: 1442
I've submitted a few junior records for kids that have fished with me and have one warmouth record myself.
The scales used to weigh the fish had to be certified, or they could be certified within a short time after the weighing to make the record legit.

the requirements are explained well on the tpwd fish records and awards web page and the forms can be printed from there as well.
I keep copies in my boat and truck in case they are needed, mostly by junior anglers but you never know when it might happen. I'm ready in case I break the Rayburn bass record this weekend in the mc donalds tourney. juggle

Thanks for the info.

Good luck!!!

Re: Lake Record fish - Question [Re: TexasBassBuster] #10769043 04/15/15 05:40 AM
Larry Mosby Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Not hard to get a record where none exist yet. All it would have to be is a legal keeper and not even a lunker.

Larry Mosby
Re: Lake Record fish - Question [Re: TexasBassBuster] #10769439 04/15/15 01:52 PM
Txmedic033 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C&R records are measured by length and have to meet the minimum length requirements for TPWD's Big Fish Awards. Good luck and post your results.!

Re: Lake Record fish - Question [Re: TexasBassBuster] #10769449 04/15/15 01:56 PM
Txmedic033 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Buy this Scale and send it to and official weights and measures company like This One to get it certified. I bought 3 scales and had them all certified. It cost me a little under $30 per scale total. Myself and my fishing partners got 15 records in the last year and I plan on getting a couple world records this year.

Re: Lake Record fish - Question [Re: TexasBassBuster] #10769483 04/15/15 02:09 PM
1442 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
may not be very hard to establish a record in some cases but it is a record regardless and it can be a very special thing for a lot of anglers, young or old.

Re: Lake Record fish - Question [Re: TexasBassBuster] #10769506 04/15/15 02:14 PM
1442 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
thanks for that link Txmedic, I've searched for a place to certify personal scales and have been unsuccesfull. That will make the process much easier, than trying to find a place with certified scales when you need them.

Re: Lake Record fish - Question [Re: Txmedic033] #10770568 04/15/15 09:44 PM
T
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
T
Originally Posted By: Txmedic033
Buy this Scale and send it to and official weights and measures company like This One to get it certified. I bought 3 scales and had them all certified. It cost me a little under $30 per scale total. Myself and my fishing partners got 15 records in the last year and I plan on getting a couple world records this year.

nice info.

good luck in your quest! I hope you get it.

Re: Lake Record fish - Question [Re: TexasBassBuster] #10771080 04/16/15 01:56 AM
T
Thad Rains Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
Here is a link to the application from TPWD. It only mentions Notary and State Private or Public to be certified weights. The SAL MUST be certified, too. Hope this helps. At least, that is the way I read it.

http://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish/programs/fishrecords/

Thad Rains

Thanks 1442. I stand corrected.

tr

Last edited by Thad Rains; 04/16/15 03:44 PM.

Thad Rains
Re: Lake Record fish - Question [Re: TexasBassBuster] #10771301 04/16/15 03:14 AM
1442 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
#3 on the weight records category for water body records reads:

3.Fish must be weighed on certified or legal-for-trade scales within 3 days of the catch date. Certified scales are scales (either electronic or spring-based) that have been, on an annual basis, certified as accurate by a Texas Department of Agriculture Licensed Service Provider or the International Game Fish Association

State records are required to be notarized.
The certification by the texas depertment of agriculture licensed service provider or international game fish association part is what throws me off as to how scales can be certified by any other means and still be used to submit records.
Txmedic, do the scales certified by the company you linked to have a department of agriculture sticker with date of certification?
I've talked to a couple different people with TD of A and they both said that my cull m rite scales could not be certified. My cull m rites have been dead accurate to the one hundredth of a pound, compared to certified scales at grocery stores, on every fish that I have helped submit as water body records in the past. I actually had two cull m rite scales and they both read exactly the same, but one has since bit the dust.

Re: Lake Record fish - Question [Re: 1442] #10771598 04/16/15 11:55 AM
H
Hobbs McAvoy Offline
Angler
Angler
H
Originally Posted By: 1442
#3 on the weight records category for water body records reads:

3.Fish must be weighed on certified or legal-for-trade scales within 3 days of the catch date. Certified scales are scales (either electronic or spring-based) that have been, on an annual basis, certified as accurate by a Texas Department of Agriculture Licensed Service Provider or the International Game Fish Association

State records are required to be notarized.
The certification by the texas depertment of agriculture licensed service provider or international game fish association part is what throws me off as to how scales can be certified by any other means and still be used to submit records.
Txmedic, do the scales certified by the company you linked to have a department of agriculture sticker with date of certification?
I've talked to a couple different people with TD of A and they both said that my cull m rite scales could not be certified. My cull m rites have been dead accurate to the one hundredth of a pound, compared to certified scales at grocery stores, on every fish that I have helped submit as water body records in the past. I actually had two cull m rite scales and they both read exactly the same, but one has since bit the dust.

I certified my scales using the same company in the link about 4 years ago. TPWD approved the certification and I was awarded a Water Body Record. Not sure on a State Record but for the Water Body Records you will be okay using the company in the link. Your scales will need to have a serial number and the certification is good for two years then it will need to be certified again.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide