Forums59
Topics1,039,396
Posts13,963,891
Members144,202
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Anyone had LASIK surgery done? [Re: Danny L. Weems] #10752613 04/08/15 01:56 AM
4976sc Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Had it done 1 month ago. I'm 26 and have wore glasses since I was 3. Right eye was bad and left eye was decent. My experience is different from everyone else. At this time I am not pleased with it. I had mine done from one of the best dr in the world, dr Lehman and would never bad mouth him, but I just haven't yet had the results that I was hoping for. My right eye is still bad and doesn't look like anything has changed. Like I said has only been 1 month so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they improve. Good luck to you if you go through with it

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Anyone had LASIK surgery done? [Re: 4976sc] #10752803 04/08/15 02:51 AM
D
duckkillah Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
Originally Posted By: 4976sc
My experience is different from everyone else. At this time I am not pleased with it.

Don't be discouraged yet! Dr. Booth did 1 of my eyes a year and a half ago, and it took nearly 3 months for it to stabilize. It is one of the better investments I've ever made. My contacts would dry out and then pop out of my eye ALL the time while riding in my boat. I decided I had to do something when BOTH of them came out at the same time a little after dark one night. Talk about a scary ride back to the ramp!

I had to have PRK done because my cornea was a little thin, and he warned me that the recovery would be a little harder than regular LASIK. I left the office seeing better than I had in 25 years, but it was rough. I was almost physically sick for 3 days afterwards, but now I can see 20/15 in that eye. Well worth the headache after not being able to see most of my life...

Re: Anyone had LASIK surgery done? [Re: Danny L. Weems] #10752805 04/08/15 02:51 AM
P
PoppaChuck Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
Had mine done mono-vision in 2003. Took my brain the full 8 weeks to start working right. I am pretty sure I fell more times in 8 weeks than my whole life. Long about week six I was ready to go back and see if they could undo it. Brain finally kicked in everything was great until about 2 years ago. I cant see very good anymore. May be time for a touch up.

Re: Anyone had LASIK surgery done? [Re: 4976sc] #10752930 04/08/15 03:30 AM
Y
YankHardReelFast Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Y
Originally Posted By: 4976sc
Had it done 1 month ago. I'm 26 and have wore glasses since I was 3. Right eye was bad and left eye was decent. My experience is different from everyone else. At this time I am not pleased with it. I had mine done from one of the best dr in the world, dr Lehman and would never bad mouth him, but I just haven't yet had the results that I was hoping for. My right eye is still bad and doesn't look like anything has changed. Like I said has only been 1 month so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they improve. Good luck to you if you go through with it

Don't get discouraged. I said above I just had it done for the second time just 3 months ago. It hurt. I was very wind sensitive. My vision was worse AFTER the surgery than before. I regretted it 110%!! Fast forward about 60 days and my vision was considerably better. I could almost tell a difference daily. Here I am at 90 days and I just went back to see Dr Booth last week. I am 20/20. I'm still pretty light sensitive but it's getting better. Hopefully you're in the same boat with me and time will take care of it.

Re: Anyone had LASIK surgery done? [Re: Danny L. Weems] #10752956 04/08/15 03:41 AM
F
FMJshooter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
I had custom PRK, was like seeing the world for the first time afterwards. Went from 20/80 to 20/15, almost blind to hawk eyed! 10 years later still at 20/20.

Last edited by FMJshooter; 04/08/15 03:41 AM.
Re: Anyone had LASIK surgery done? [Re: Danny L. Weems] #10752990 04/08/15 03:58 AM
Danny L. Weems Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Wow, the TFF crew comes thru again! I'm going to call my eye Paris Optical and ask my Dr. if he thinks I'm a candidate. He has a Dr. out of Sherman that comes to his office once a week and does the surgery.
I had great vision until I turned 40 and then it went down hill fast. I really still don't like wearing glasses and don't wear them at my desk.
Thanks again guys, I'm excited just thinking about the possibility.

Phil 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Re: Anyone had LASIK surgery done? [Re: Danny L. Weems] #10753196 04/08/15 12:09 PM
P
Panhandle Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
P
3 years ago, I was legally blind and had been for 30 years. Now, I am still 20/20 after my third check up after the procedure. It's the best money I have ever spent aside from adopting my son.

Special Delivery Adoption Agency

"Lord let me be the person my dog thinks I am."
Re: Anyone had LASIK surgery done? [Re: Danny L. Weems] #10753201 04/08/15 12:13 PM
C
crapyetr Online Sleepy
TFF Team Angler
Online Sleepy
TFF Team Angler
C
moved from Odessa to Crockett in 2003...humidity kept my glasses wet from sweat dripping on them...went to Nacogdoches and had it done in 2004? i think...have NEVER regretted it...next best thing i've ever done for myself next to quitting smoking

MERCY - not receiving what you deserve
GRACE - receiving what you don't deserve
America's MESS = God's miracle fixes
I'd rather walk with God with no questions answered than to walk thru life without Him and know the answers
Re: Anyone had LASIK surgery done? [Re: Danny L. Weems] #10753592 04/08/15 02:53 PM
A
Allen Bass Fisher Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
A
Had my eyes done by Dr. Whitman (Key/Whitmen) about 10 years ago now. My vision 20/60 so it was not terrible but I hated wearing glasses to fish. I went to one of his free informational seminars and at the end they drew a name of participants for one free LASIK eye correction and I won so that convinced me to do it.

They warned me that I would lose my near vision unless I opted for their mono-vision where they correct one eye for distance and one eye for near vision. I was afraid it would effect my depth of field for casting so I did not opt for that.

Had it done and was very happy but I did and still need readers for close up work so to tie a knot I still need glasses. I was 20/15 for several years. In the last few years my distance has slipped and was considering going back in for a touchup which was included in my package as long as I have and annual eye exam by their office. I brought it up a few months ago when I had my annual exam. They did not jump all over it. Said I have the start of cataracts and should consider Crystal Lens replacements. That would be at my expense though.

Re: Anyone had LASIK surgery done? [Re: Danny L. Weems] #10753633 04/08/15 03:03 PM
R
Ronnie Merrifield Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
I had mine done, and it's been the best money ever spent. I can see better than i could with contacts. I have 20/10 or 20/15 vision now. i can't remember which one.. you will love it if you get it man. It's annoying the first little bit because you can't rub yours eyes and they get dry until the nerve endings grow back together.

Re: Anyone had LASIK surgery done? [Re: PoppaChuck] #10754460 04/08/15 08:49 PM
B
Blue Moon Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Originally Posted By: PoppaChuck
Had mine done mono-vision in 2003. Took my brain the full 8 weeks to start working right. I am pretty sure I fell more times in 8 weeks than my whole life. Long about week six I was ready to go back and see if they could undo it. Brain finally kicked in everything was great until about 2 years ago. I cant see very good anymore. May be time for a touch up.

For those considering the surgery, personally I would not recommend monovision. At best youll have reduced overall clarity and limited depth perception compared to both eyes working in concert. While you may be able to adapt and live a normal life, youll never see as well as you could.

Humans with both eyes have what is known as binocular vision for a multitude of reasons and not just for the purpose of redundancy. We see much better when both eyes work together. Heres some food for thought on this.

Because our eyes are separated from each other we have a substantially improved field of vision plus what we see is more defined; actually clearer and sharper. Most people understand why we have a wider field of view with two eyes but not as many understand why we actually see better with two eyes.

With both eyes most people can naturally span a 190 degree field of view with improved visual clarity compared to only 40 degrees with one eye working alone. More importantly when it comes to monovision, the clarity you see naturally in the 190 degree field of view depends entirely how well both of your eyes are working in concert and how close each is corrected to 20/20.

Just as importantly, the horizontal separation of our eyes allow us to see objects three dimensionally because each eye is focused at a slightly different angle on a specific object we are looking at. This allows us to see shapes and into the shadows better. Technically this is known as stereopsis. The net result is significantly better depth perception plus it allows us to distinguish objects that would otherwise be camouflaged in the background. This is significantly important to how we perceive if we have good sight or not.

If you think about how a 3D movie is created, they are shot with two cameras, slightly separated on the same plane just like your eyes. Each camera, just like our individual eyes, focus on an object at slightly different angles making the object in focus appear three dimensional when combined. A very important benefit of binocular vision is three dimensional sight and precise depth perception.

While you may not think precise depth perception is critical for your lifestyle, it helps us do simple things like walk or run with confidence or reach out and grasp things. Pilots, surgeons and most athletes should never purposely sign up for monovision.

Even if you have a non-active lifestyle and think you can tolerate monovision, it appears most people are only happy with the results if the dominate eye can be corrected to 20/20 and become less happy with it overtime as eyesight performance degrades. This is because monovision is best tolerated when the dominate eye is 20/20 but everyones eyesight starts to degrade so you will likely need to have it adjusted or correct the dominate eye with a contact so you can see OK. Not having this corrected will likely slow most people down and frankly this is not a situation most would willingly sign up for.

Many eye surgeons will not perform monovision surgery for any patient under 45 years old unless they have been using contacts to simulate monovision for an extended period of time and are OK with the results. Even then, statistically most monovision patients will eventually either return for an adjustment or become unhappy with the procedure over time.

Studies have shown that monovision patients that initially have 20/20 vision in the dominate eye will start to complain as soon as their dominate eye degrades to 20/25 and will likely need contact or eye glass correction if it degrades to 20/30. This is because the loss of both clarity and depth perception become more noticeable and the patient will feel that they cant see very well in either eye.

If anyone opts for monovision, keep in mind that your dominate eye focuses 12 to 15 times faster than your non-dominate eye so its critical you and your doctor know which is your dominate eye. Just because you're right handed does not mean you necessarily are right eye dominate, although approximately two thirds of the population share same side eye and hand domination.

Im not an eye surgeon but Im an optics geek, amateur astronomer, photographer, aerobatic pilot and enjoy many different sports so Ive studied this issue perhaps more than some. Besides doing your due diligence to find the right surgeon, below are a few terms that you may want to explore before opting for monovision:

Binocular Vision
Stereopsis
Binocular disparity/parallax
Depth perception
Field of view

Blue Moon

Re: Anyone had LASIK surgery done? [Re: Danny L. Weems] #10755399 04/09/15 04:14 AM
S
Strait1277 Offline
Angler
Angler
S
I had PRK 2.5 years ago and am 37 and have been in glasses and attempted contacts since 7th grade. Finally got sick of having to keep up with glasses and buying RX Oakley lenses twice a year after scratching them up. PRK is a little rough on the recovery side but golly it is amazing! I have 20/20 vision and it is like watching a tv from the 90's and then watching a movie in 1080P. All I can say is research your doctor extremely well. I live in Wichita Falls and we have the best doctor in the US here. Dr. Mark Suggs. He thoroughly tested me and said most of what he does is the prep work and making sure you are the perfect candidate for either PRK or LASIK. He prefers PRK now because you don't have the flap that has to heal and complications with it. PRK takes about 2 to 3 months to get your perfect vision. It was $3,500 and looking back I'd pay 10,000 for it now. Hunting and fishing and driving are so much more pleasant now. Especially finding fish on beds!! And I can now tell all types of ducks I'm shooting at before my lab brings them back! That's awesome too. All around greatest money ever spent hands down.

Re: Anyone had LASIK surgery done? [Re: Danny L. Weems] #10756187 04/09/15 03:38 PM
C
Chad Miller Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
best money I have ever spent. hands down.

www.facebook.com/ashoparoundthecorner
www.facebook.com/gaertnerleasing

Find me on LinkedIn!

My Idol, My Hero, My Dad. 11/3/1944 - 9/12/2014

There are those who love to catch fish, and those who will fish for the chance to catch.
Re: Anyone had LASIK surgery done? [Re: Danny L. Weems] #10756221 04/09/15 03:52 PM
K
KB1953 Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
K
Why is this posted in the bass fishing section? loco

Re: Anyone had LASIK surgery done? [Re: Danny L. Weems] #10758089 04/10/15 12:58 PM
S
Strait1277 Offline
Angler
Angler
S
Because being able to see while on the water fishing is pretty dang important.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide