Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Rick Clunn [Re: Slade] #10646578 02/25/15 02:41 PM
S
Skip Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Personality always comes into play when liking someone are not. That being said I think for the younger guys there is a lot that can be picked up from the older guys and a lot that can be picked up from todays pro's. As I get older my body can't stand the riggers of bass fishing all day and the pressure of tournaments. I still love it and love watching the TV shows. I love talking bass fishing. Your never to old to pick up a few pointers here and there. I started back in the early '80's and I made a few mistakes and some laughed at me. I always said I would never laugh at anyone and would extend a helping hand when I could. There is never a dumb question when it comes to bass fishing. If you have a question ask and someone will give you an answer. I always liked Rick Clunn.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Rick Clunn [Re: Slade] #10646580 02/25/15 02:42 PM
P
pkskeetersr Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
Yes he would bank on it !!

Re: Rick Clunn [Re: grout-scout] #10646582 02/25/15 02:42 PM
Happykamper Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: grout-scout
Question: Would Rick Clunn still dominate today like he did back then (if he was in his youth) in today's tournament pro circuit?

I say NO.

He would be a force,if you give him 30 years of youth and all the tools and info that the young anglers have now he would be just as dominant. I remember reading about a tournament he won on Lake Mead, he flew the lake and could see the fish suspended in the timber from the air, he was always on the cutting edge.

[Linked Image]
Re: Rick Clunn [Re: Slade] #10646604 02/25/15 02:47 PM
P
pkskeetersr Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
I was there at mead when he won two of those tournaments beat us like a drum !!!

Re: Rick Clunn [Re: grout-scout] #10646921 02/25/15 04:05 PM
F
furim2 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
Question: Would Rick Clunn still dominate today like he did back then (if he was in his youth) in today's tournament pro circuit?

I say NO.

Yes he would. There is no one more dedicated to learning.
All the weird stuff is true. We were fishing a tournament in the early 2000's. Before blastoff, I needed to get rid of some coffee and walked out into a dark area. There, behind a production trailer, was a guy standing about three feet from the trailer with his hands behind his back, leaned over with his forehead against the trailer. It was Rick, meditating, not for just a few minutes either. Later that day, we pulled into the slip next to him at weigh in. He'd had a rough day, and his wife, a trophy if ever there was one, walked up to his boat. He just waved her away and said , "not now". He sat there in the drivers seat for minutes, just looking straight ahead, decompressing.

Re: Rick Clunn [Re: furim2] #10646993 02/25/15 04:22 PM
S
Slade Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted By: furim2

I say NO.

Yes he would. There is no one more dedicated to learning.
All the weird stuff is true. We were fishing a tournament in the early 2000's. Before blastoff, I needed to get rid of some coffee and walked out into a dark area. There, behind a production trailer, was a guy standing about three feet from the trailer with his hands behind his back, leaned over with his forehead against the trailer. It was Rick, meditating, not for just a few minutes either. Later that day, we pulled into the slip next to him at weigh in. He'd had a rough day, and his wife, a trophy if ever there was one, walked up to his boat. He just waved her away and said , "not now". He sat there in the drivers seat for minutes, just looking straight ahead, decompressing.

There is a method to his madness, and I think he is a better fisherman than some of the young guns now, they rely on all their electronics and state of the art equipment way more than someone like him. He is at peace with nature, and that will always give him an edge.

PB 10.58 Joe Pool

Re: Rick Clunn [Re: jimham82] #10647001 02/25/15 04:25 PM
78Staff Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted By: jimham82
I went to a seminar back around '86. Rick Clunn gave an hour long presentation. One of the questions he answered was why he didn't have all the patches on his shirt (old school) like some of the other pro's. He said "how much money is enough?". Sounds like he was already financially set back them.

He was all about seasonal patterns, map study, reviewing past tournament history. In other words, he was pretty analytical even back then.

The no logo's is touched on in the Bass Wars book mentioned earlier, it really po'd Ray Scott that Clunn was not wearing logo'd clothing. Really good book, can usually be found on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Bass-Wars-Story-Fi...words=bass+wars

Some other tournament trail type books worth reading...

Joe Thomas's book "Diary of a Bass Pro"
http://www.amazon.com/Diary-Bass-Pro-Ins...as+bass+fishing

Ken Shultz's Bass Madness
http://www.amazon.com/Bass-Madness-Bigmo...XYTW2G68SX4X3BW

And, while grabbing those links I noticed this one from 1978... "Rick Clunn's World Championship Bass Fishing" - but not familiar with it.

http://www.amazon.com/Clunns-World-Champ...ords=rick+clunn

Re: Rick Clunn [Re: Slade] #10647193 02/25/15 05:29 PM
78Staff Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Also here's the Rick Clunn VHS I mentioned...

http://www.amazon.com/Bass-Fishing-Botto...ords=rick+clunn

Re: Rick Clunn [Re: jimham82] #10647470 02/25/15 07:12 PM
ScottA Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Originally Posted By: jimham82
I went to a seminar back around '86. Rick Clunn gave an hour long presentation. One of the questions he answered was why he didn't have all the patches on his shirt (old school) like some of the other pro's. He said "how much money is enough?". Sounds like he was already financially set back them.

He was all about seasonal patterns, map study, reviewing past tournament history. In other words, he was pretty analytical even back then.

Back in the old days of B.A.S.S. it was frowned upon to wear patches if you were not getting paid for wearing the logo. So I'm sure that is why Clunn wore only paying sponsor patches.in addtion, Ray Scott limited what could be worn on shirts to a certain degree. Today it seems everyone is a "Patch Monster". No pay for the patch they wear.

Re: Rick Clunn [Re: grout-scout] #10647493 02/25/15 07:25 PM
ScottA Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman

I say NO.

You are probably right, he would perhaps would not win 4 Classics in the modern era of Tournament Bass Fishing. I have to say that fisherman are MUCH better today than they were 30 yrs ago. Partly due to advances in technology.. ie better equipment. Today you can idle by a floating dock and see brush, stumps, fish. Old school you had to stop, put down the trolling motor, cast a lure under and around the dock to verify if there was anything to hold fish.

Proof that anglers are better today.. look at the weights of the sacks. When B.A.S.S. started it was a 10 fish limit, then it went to 7 fish, then to 5 fish. Tournament anglers bring fewer fish to the scales with heavier aggregate weight than they did when the limit was higher. Some may say the fisheries are better, I doubt that to be the case, considering the amount of anglers with better equipment on the water today vs. decades ago.

No doubt, Clunn is a legend and rightfully so. His machine like tactics, never wasting a cast, or a positioning of the boat made him successful.

Re: Rick Clunn [Re: ScottA] #10647503 02/25/15 07:30 PM
C
CJ04 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
C
Originally Posted By: ScottA

I say NO.

You are probably right, he would perhaps would not win 4 Classics in the modern era of Tournament Bass Fishing. I have to say that fisherman are MUCH better today than they were 30 yrs ago. Partly due to advances in technology.. ie better equipment. Today you can idle by a floating dock and see brush, stumps, fish. Old school you had to stop, put down the trolling motor, cast a lure under and around the dock to verify if there was anything to hold fish.

Proof that anglers are better today.. look at the weights of the sacks. When B.A.S.S. started it was a 10 fish limit, then it went to 7 fish, then to 5 fish. Tournament anglers bring fewer fish to the scales with heavier aggregate weight than they did when the limit was higher. Some may say the fisheries are better, I doubt that to be the case, considering the amount of anglers with better equipment on the water today vs. decades ago.

No doubt, Clunn is a legend and rightfully so. His machine like tactics, never wasting a cast, or a positioning of the boat made him successful.

Well said!!

Re: Rick Clunn [Re: Slade] #10647615 02/25/15 08:17 PM
TBassYates Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Like him or not one thing is for sure, Rick Clunn is a part of bass fishing history. Like pretty much everyone else involved in bass fishing I was ate up with it while growing up and still have plenty of the Bassmaster and other shows on VCR tapes that I recorded through the years. I still like to relive those early years when Rick Clunn was one of the dominating figures and helped bring the sport to a whole new level that everyone enjoy's today.

[Linked Image]
Re: Rick Clunn [Re: SAKS] #10647640 02/25/15 08:27 PM
Donald Harper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: SAKS
I am not sure what I was expecting to read when I opened this thread but Indian proverbs were not one of them. I enjoyed it. I totally agree with RC. He was just on The Bass Pros talking about technology being a compliment to your game. I just wish I could apply it a fraction as good as he can. Does anyone even try to locate fish without electronics?

I look back to the 70's when electronics were just a device to read the bottom and you learned those spots to either speed up or shut down. It wasn't used for much else because that was the era that Hummingbird was caught marking fish when none was there as you passed over a piece of structure.

The fisherman that I patterned all my fishing after and took his spinner bait to win lots of tournaments with it was Hank Parker. He probably knows more proverbs than any of them and could read the lake, temp., pressure, creek swings, and weather to help him win on a spinner bait that he would throw all day long. All this came from a ability that is unknown today by most fisherman. Through the 90's all I threw were spinner baits patterned after the "Classic" and the spook pattern after Zell Roland's Signature 3 hook spook. I also added a few crank baits back in the 70's from the garage of Bill Dance and Charles Spence. All was good back in those days. A consistent winner back in those days had it going on with NATURE.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: Rick Clunn [Re: Slade] #10647647 02/25/15 08:28 PM
Texascajun69 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Those of us who remember Rick Clunn in the old days when we was fishing tournaments on Lake Conroe remember before he became a Bass Pro he was a Computer Programmer for Exxon. Now you younger guys may not realize how tedious and detailed being a programmer was in the early seventies. It definitely wasn't like today. He has always been very analytical on his approach to fishing. He once said every fish he catches he asks himself at least 6 questions about that catch. How fast was he moving the bait? Was the fish in the shade or shadows, Did the fish hit from the front, side or come up behind the bait, How deep did the fish take the bait, how deep was the fish, and how deep was the water the boat was in? Me, I just say Where did he come from?

John K Fontenot
Diapers and Politicians need to be changed often; and for the same reason.
Re: Rick Clunn [Re: Texascajun69] #10647757 02/25/15 09:23 PM
R
rangerb Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Originally Posted By: Texascajun69
Those of us who remember Rick Clunn in the old days when we was fishing tournaments on Lake Conroe remember before he became a Bass Pro he was a Computer Programmer for Exxon. Now you younger guys may not realize how tedious and detailed being a programmer was in the early seventies. It definitely wasn't like today. He has always been very analytical on his approach to fishing. He once said every fish he catches he asks himself at least 6 questions about that catch. How fast was he moving the bait? Was the fish in the shade or shadows, Did the fish hit from the front, side or come up behind the bait, How deep did the fish take the bait, how deep was the fish, and how deep was the water the boat was in? Me, I just say Where did he come from?
l fished several tournaments against him on east Texas lakes in those days. He won no more then than lots of locals. I think he developed lots of skills after quiting his day job. I think with today's equipment and improved fishery..bigger bass...the old timers would be as competitive were they still in their prime.. of course this from an old timer.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide