Forums59
Topics1,039,534
Posts13,966,014
Members144,208
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Little Caney run at Lake Fork Be Careful !! [Re: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell] #10640600 02/23/15 07:59 PM
T
tmcviper1 Offline
Angler
Angler
T
there are three large ones in run, two at narrow part half way out at the 2x4 center marker 12" about 6" down on east side, 30-40 ft out another at end of cluster of stumps by 2x4, 100 yds further at tall tree w/cone in lane another
12" one about 6" under as well , before you get to cone w/bird house on it..

Tmcviper1
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Little Caney run at Lake Fork Be Careful !! [Re: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell] #10640618 02/23/15 08:03 PM
Dan Phifer Offline
Angler
Angler
I idled it a few weeks ago and will tell you that I rolled over a few too many stumps to make me comfortable enough to run it when the lake is this low. I have already donated some money to a fiberglass shop because of this run. I don't really want to go that route again.

Re: Little Caney run at Lake Fork Be Careful !! [Re: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell] #10640638 02/23/15 08:07 PM
krawlin 47 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I know after I took my lower unit out on the stump being discussed, I mentioned it to a couple of guides on the lake and they both said no friggin way do they run little caney at through the middle of the run - once you get to the cone I come off - I had one at the manikin tree get me too.

Once you get through the gut you can get back on plane to the back corner - the middle of the run is laced with trees.

Whether you think you can or you can't, you are probably right.
Re: Little Caney run at Lake Fork Be Careful !! [Re: Ken A.] #10640713 02/23/15 08:33 PM
921 Phoenix Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Ken A.
Originally Posted By: lakeforkfisherman
Originally Posted By: Frank the Tank
Sorry, not trying to hi-jack this post, it is very kind of you to do this Marc and hopefully can save someone a lower unit. But I am curious. Are the lanes out on the main lake completely cleared all the way to the bottom so they are worry free? I guess it gets sketchy when you turn off from those and head into coves such as little Caney, or Williams, etc.?

Great question. Inquiring minds want to know.

No they are not. Those lanes were created long after the lake was filled. The lanes that are currently marked are good when the lake is at full pool but not when it is as low as it is now.

Ken I have a question I was told this also that the boat lanes were put in later. I was also told above 515 East and above 2946 that those lanes were cleared before filling is their any truth to this.

Re: Little Caney run at Lake Fork Be Careful !! [Re: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell] #10640853 02/23/15 09:16 PM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
Guy,

I fished the lake when it was new and first filled but that has been a while. From memory, above 515 East and north of 2946 the lanes were cut before the lake was full. The buoys were not there but the lanes were.

All the buoys marking the lanes south of the 515 bridges were set about ten years (or so) ago when the lake was close to full pool if my memory serves me correctly. I have hit stumps running from buoy to buoy when the lake was 4 feet low. I am sure with the lake being 8 feet low, there are many dangers lurking just beneath.

When I am on the lake, I run the paths from memory that I have always run with not much regard for the buoys. That makes me really dangerous because I "think" I know where I am going. wink

Last edited by Ken A.; 02/23/15 09:17 PM.

Re: Little Caney run at Lake Fork Be Careful !! [Re: Ken A.] #10640951 02/23/15 09:54 PM
921 Phoenix Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Ken A.
Guy,

I fished the lake when it was new and first filled but that has been a while. From memory, above 515 East and north of 2946 the lanes were cut before the lake was full. The buoys were not there but the lanes were.

All the buoys marking the lanes south of the 515 bridges were set about ten years (or so) ago when the lake was close to full pool if my memory serves me correctly. I have hit stumps running from buoy to buoy when the lake was 4 feet low. I am sure with the lake being 8 feet low, there are many dangers lurking just beneath.

When I am on the lake, I run the paths from memory that I have always run with not much regard for the buoys. That makes me really dangerous because I "think" I know where I am going. wink

Thanks Ken, I can also say I was running up Little Caney when it was about 7.5 feet low about two months ago and touch a stump about where the little zig zag is in the boat lane you need to be real careful as Marc has said. I believe it to be very dangerous in there right now.

Re: Little Caney run at Lake Fork Be Careful !! [Re: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell] #10641027 02/23/15 10:26 PM
L
Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
Ken A is right. They marked them way after the lake had been full. I think around 2000 but not sure. There are very few that have been cut out. Most are through fields and old road beds. Years ago in front of Taylor Branch there was one about 20 ft East of the buoy. Now they moved the buoy out a bit away from it after it got hit about a dozen times. My dad and I offered to cut all the runs for the firewood back in the day before the lake project was complete. I still remember meeting with the guys from the SRA with my dad.

Last edited by Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell; 02/23/15 10:30 PM.
Re: Little Caney run at Lake Fork Be Careful !! [Re: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell] #10641055 02/23/15 10:33 PM
AndrewG - Lake Fork Guide Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Good post Marc. I've been watching guys run the gauntlet in there and cringe every time. I've idled that enough to know there is no clear straight path through that middle section from there on up to right past that second pipeline at this level. I see guys who make it but no way I'm doing it.

The lake is gonna claim a lot of lower units and damaged hulls this year. It's starting to effect guides who know the lake a lot better than I do. The one in front of moccasin in the boat lane got a friend of mine a couple weeks ago. I must have had a guardian angel telling me to take it off plane early running into Chaney last week, I was way way out, where I would always normally run. I hit one idling that brought the boat to a complete stop. 43' of water. N 32degrees 48.096'
W 95degrees 33.002' . Now I know there's a ton at the mouth but I was out there a good ways from the ones most of us know about.

Re: Little Caney run at Lake Fork Be Careful !! [Re: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell] #10641070 02/23/15 10:39 PM
C_Fisher Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell
If you are running into or out of Little Caney you need to be really careful. I was running in there on Sat am and hit a stump in the area of the orange cone in the middle of the run.

I have been through there well over a 1000 times and I had just told my guys every time the lake gets lower this spot scares me a bit. No longer than I said it we hit one.

Did not do any damage but it did stop up my water pick up with wood. I idled back through on the way out and there are several I spotted using my SI that are very close to surfacing also. Please be careful.

Hit 2 myself in the same area pretty much right in the center of the boat lane. Luckily I was idling because I'm chicken...

Re: Little Caney run at Lake Fork Be Careful !! [Re: AndrewG - Lake Fork Guide] #10641319 02/23/15 11:43 PM
B
Billy_Lawson Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted By: AndrewG - Lake Fork Guide
Good post Marc. I've been watching guys run the gauntlet in there and cringe every time. I've idled that enough to know there is no clear straight path through that middle section from there on up to right past that second pipeline at this level. I see guys who make it but no way I'm doing it.

The lake is gonna claim a lot of lower units and damaged hulls this year. It's starting to effect guides who know the lake a lot better than I do. The one in front of moccasin in the boat lane got a friend of mine a couple weeks ago. I must have had a guardian angel telling me to take it off plane early running into Chaney last week, I was way way out, where I would always normally run. I hit one idling that brought the boat to a complete stop. 43' of water. N 32degrees 48.096'
W 95degrees 33.002' . Now I know there's a ton at the mouth but I was out there a good ways from the ones most of us know about.

the one in front of moccassin is real close to the main boat lane and in an area where nothing else is real close, and it's huge!!

Re: Little Caney run at Lake Fork Be Careful !! [Re: AndrewG - Lake Fork Guide] #10641320 02/23/15 11:43 PM
Alex Finch Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: AndrewG - Lake Fork Guide

I found a clump of them outside of Chaney as well Andrew. Not sure why I came off plane early there either, but was sure glad I did. When the lake was around 7.5 foot low, they were barely showing and right under the surface. There are a few of them in that patch.

Online Orders: www.finchnastybaitco.com
E-mail Orders: finchnastybaitco@gmail.com

Finch Nasty Bait Co. is now an Authorized Retailer of Keitech Fat Swing Impact swimbaits! We offer select sizes and colors that match our line of Thumpers (bladed swim jigs) and universal swim jigs.
Re: Little Caney run at Lake Fork Be Careful !! [Re: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell] #10641323 02/23/15 11:44 PM
B
bloo_rainger Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
B
If your coming from the main boat Lane how close can you run to the Orange cone? Are we talking about water in this area or past he cone?

Re: Little Caney run at Lake Fork Be Careful !! [Re: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell] #10641381 02/23/15 11:54 PM
R
Rube G. Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
back when all of the trees were standing, the lane that went back into L. Caney was a little fire road. Barely enough room for 2 boats to pass.

Re: Little Caney run at Lake Fork Be Careful !! [Re: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell] #10641402 02/23/15 11:59 PM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
Saw a smaller one just off a buoy in Birch as well. Its maybe 10-15' from the bouy.See boats running right by it a lot. Hell I have done it a 1000 times till I noticed it the other day. I marked it but cannot recall what buoy it was. I will write the coordinates down and post.

Re: Little Caney run at Lake Fork Be Careful !! [Re: Mark Perry] #10641535 02/24/15 12:33 AM
S
Slewfoot Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
S
Originally Posted By: Mark Perry
Saw a smaller one just off a buoy in Birch as well. Its maybe 10-15' from the bouy.See boats running right by it a lot. Hell I have done it a 1000 times till I noticed it the other day. I marked it but cannot recall what buoy it was. I will write the coordinates down and post.

I think that small round orange ball is attatched to it as your coming in about 1/3 way to the bridge.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide