Forums59
Topics1,039,337
Posts13,963,081
Members144,199
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Zona on La Perla lake right now [Re: soonersorlaters] #10619644 02/15/15 12:12 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
Idiotic may be a stretch as far as records go. The great thing about the record as it stands is a kid with a cane pole and a bobber sitting on any public lake can catch it. It's open. You want to put a big asterisk by it or put in its own category so be it. I think it's going to be interesting to see what is grown there but as far as records I will always consider the one from. Public water the one that counts. The only thing that makes this even interesting is the experiment factor.

Last edited by whatsaweighin; 02/15/15 12:12 PM.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Zona on La Perla lake right now [Re: Frank the Tank] #10619687 02/15/15 12:55 PM
L
Lil joe Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
L
Originally Posted By: Frank the Tank
Best fishing show in TV. If I got to pick 1 guy to fish with, it would be Z-Train.

I think so too frank. I don't understand all the hate of zona on here. I'm sure it would be a blast to spend a day or 2 fishin with him

Re: Zona on La Perla lake right now [Re: soonersorlaters] #10619724 02/15/15 01:31 PM
horseplaydvm Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
If you don't think you can teach a bass to come to a feeder like deer then you are absolutely wrong. Go to lake Dunlap and fish around the feeders around the times they go off. Watch some of the videos of the bass showing up during trout stockings in California. I would be willing to bet that if you release those prongs at certain times into the lake, a person could fish that end of the lake with a plastic prong bait and catch one fish after another.
Bass can use the water column to disperse at different depths, however a majority of the bass will relate to the available cover not just randomly suspend in open water.
There are far more similarities to your lake and high fence deer hunting than not.
1) Both are in a controlled, limited sized area.
2) Both are given supplemental food and water to maximize growth.
3) Both have minimal if any natural predators.
4) Both have limited exposure to humans to maximize a successful hunting/fishing experience.
5) Both utilize superior genetics to maximize size.
I'm not sure why you are offended that people relate it to high fence deer hunting? Just accept it for what it is and carry on. Cater to the people who want that type of experience, nothing wrong with that. Don't get upset and call people idiots for pointing out something that is closer to the truth than not. JMO

[Linked Image]
Gone Fishing
B.A.S. 6/5/47-6/6/12
C.W.S. 9/29/72- 10/17/23
Re: Zona on La Perla lake right now [Re: soonersorlaters] #10619757 02/15/15 01:59 PM
Hole Shot Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
All debate aside.....looks like a fun place to fish!

Re: Zona on La Perla lake right now [Re: soonersorlaters] #10619828 02/15/15 02:31 PM
S
SpiderJig Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
I'm sure it's fun to fish there. I think I'd leave without a sense of accomplishment though, even if I caught a 10+.

PB- 10lb 5oz Purtis Creek 7-25-15
Re: Zona on La Perla lake right now [Re: La Perla Ranch] #10619875 02/15/15 02:56 PM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
Originally Posted By: La Perla Ranch
No Rob, it is DEFINITELY NOT like high fenced deer. Deer live in a two dimensional world, always on the plane of the ground, while bass are stratified vertically, dispersed throughout the water column, and rarely visible, especially the big ones. Deer can be patterned with cameras, attracted with corn, rattled in with horns, shot with long distance rifles, precision optics, and range finders over a quarter mile away, and their rut takes them over great distances which exposes them to the hunter. In the end, the deer does not have to choose to take the bullet, as he has no choice in the matter. I would say the chances of a particular buck eluding a kill on a high fenced tract 5 times bigger than La Perla Lake are slim and none with a good hunter and adequate time to hunt the rut.

Now let us consider the bass. When one takes into consideration the size differential of a bass vs a whitetail, and then one adds to that the vertical space available to be hidden in, then add to that the fact that bass are generally ambush predators as opposed to roaming wolves or rutting bucks, sticking to tighter cover and not moving about nearly as much, it changes the math probabilities for success. The combined effect of all of that makes the odds of finding a particular bass a needle in the hey stack issue, and causes the 90 acre La Perla Lake to be the equivalent of finding a deer on 10-20 thousand acres, at least. But then the REAL problem begins....

IF you are lucky enough to get your lure in front of the fish, unlike the buck and the bullet, the bass has a choice in the matter. Presentation has to be perfect, but even then, the giant Floridas are known to be finicky eaters, which is why in Florida many won't even attempt to catch them without live bait! Part of the problem is education. By the time that monster bass is over 10, you KNOW she has been caught before. Each time she gets fooled, she is that less likely to get fooled again. How many deer are able to go through getting killed, then get to do a rerun to see if they can be smarter and survive successive attempts by the hunter!

It is also why Pearl, the giant bass 1 oz shy of 14 lbs, shocked up in December, 2013 during the time Bassmaster was there, has NEVER been caught, nor have most of the other double digit bass shocked up that day.

You can probably tell I'm sick of hearing people repeat this uneducated statement made by a few outdoor writers who clearly, have no clue. Come on people, use your head. Fishing is not hunting. There are huge differences. Are the odds better of catching a big one on my lake? Of course, because there are tons more of them, but it is idiotic to compare it to a high fenced ranch and irresponsible to say so if you have never done both. If you had, you would not make this statement.

Rob I know you did not start this and I'm not calling you an idiot, as I know you are just repeating what you read somebody else say. But comparing the two this way IS idiotic and uninformed, and I am going to start calling it out.

Excellent analogy Doc. This is the reason I am not a hunter. No offense to the guys that do it. I own three dozen guns and I hit what I aim at. I just don't see the challenge. To me bass fishing is the ultimate challenge. You are presenting an artificial lure to an unseen creature in hopes that you make it wiggle just right so the fish will be tempted to bite it.

Good luck in your endeavors. I hope you raise a 25 pound bass down there! Nothing would make me prouder than to say the new world record came from TEXAS waters!

Re: Zona on La Perla lake right now [Re: DevinJoe] #10619886 02/15/15 03:02 PM
361V Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: DevinJoe
Its like a baseball player being on steroids and breaking the home run record
It shouldn't count either way. My two cents
Shouldn't COUNT for what? The only thing it does not count as is one of the places I will get to fish. :-)

Re: Zona on La Perla lake right now [Re: soonersorlaters] #10619902 02/15/15 03:13 PM
F
Frank the Tank Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
F
Ken, I have to agree. I have fished lots of Texas private water fisheries. Places where 13+ lb. fish have been caught, and I have taken 100+ trips to these waters. Largest fish I have ever caught was just shy of 9 lb.'s. We're talking fisheries less than 100 acres, and stacked with fish. On one particular lake, about a 40 acre lake loaded with timber and 3-5 lb. fish, I literally got tired of catching that size, but was never able to coax a 9 lb.+ fish out of it. Conversely, my biggest fish was out of....... a public fishery. Lake Fork. You still have to catch the fish. Dr. Gary has been up front and transparent, he knows it does increase the percentages of hooking into a monster, but you still have to CATCH the fish. I for one will be proud to have the record come from Texas waters, IF he can pull it off. Many have tried, but no-one has succeeded yet. I am pulling for him to do it.

Jesus loves all of us
Re: Zona on La Perla lake right now [Re: Ken A.] #10619924 02/15/15 03:24 PM
921 Phoenix Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Ken A.
No Rob, it is DEFINITELY NOT like high fenced deer. Deer live in a two dimensional world, always on the plane of the ground, while bass are stratified vertically, dispersed throughout the water column, and rarely visible, especially the big ones. Deer can be patterned with cameras, attracted with corn, rattled in with horns, shot with long distance rifles, precision optics, and range finders over a quarter mile away, and their rut takes them over great distances which exposes them to the hunter. In the end, the deer does not have to choose to take the bullet, as he has no choice in the matter. I would say the chances of a particular buck eluding a kill on a high fenced tract 5 times bigger than La Perla Lake are slim and none with a good hunter and adequate time to hunt the rut.

Now let us consider the bass. When one takes into consideration the size differential of a bass vs a whitetail, and then one adds to that the vertical space available to be hidden in, then add to that the fact that bass are generally ambush predators as opposed to roaming wolves or rutting bucks, sticking to tighter cover and not moving about nearly as much, it changes the math probabilities for success. The combined effect of all of that makes the odds of finding a particular bass a needle in the hey stack issue, and causes the 90 acre La Perla Lake to be the equivalent of finding a deer on 10-20 thousand acres, at least. But then the REAL problem begins....

IF you are lucky enough to get your lure in front of the fish, unlike the buck and the bullet, the bass has a choice in the matter. Presentation has to be perfect, but even then, the giant Floridas are known to be finicky eaters, which is why in Florida many won't even attempt to catch them without live bait! Part of the problem is education. By the time that monster bass is over 10, you KNOW she has been caught before. Each time she gets fooled, she is that less likely to get fooled again. How many deer are able to go through getting killed, then get to do a rerun to see if they can be smarter and survive successive attempts by the hunter!

It is also why Pearl, the giant bass 1 oz shy of 14 lbs, shocked up in December, 2013 during the time Bassmaster was there, has NEVER been caught, nor have most of the other double digit bass shocked up that day.

You can probably tell I'm sick of hearing people repeat this uneducated statement made by a few outdoor writers who clearly, have no clue. Come on people, use your head. Fishing is not hunting. There are huge differences. Are the odds better of catching a big one on my lake? Of course, because there are tons more of them, but it is idiotic to compare it to a high fenced ranch and irresponsible to say so if you have never done both. If you had, you would not make this statement.

Rob I know you did not start this and I'm not calling you an idiot, as I know you are just repeating what you read somebody else say. But comparing the two this way IS idiotic and uninformed, and I am going to start calling it out.

Excellent analogy Doc. This is the reason I am not a hunter. No offense to the guys that do it. I own three dozen guns and I hit what I aim at. I just don't see the challenge. To me bass fishing is the ultimate challenge. You are presenting an artificial lure to an unseen creature in hopes that you make it wiggle just right so the fish will be tempted to bite it.

Good luck in your endeavors. I hope you raise a 25 pound bass down there! Nothing would make me prouder than to say the new world record came from TEXAS waters!

I hunt and fish all over the Western states and fish mostly in Texas. I don't believe their is not anything close between high fence hunting and bass fishing in a lake designed to be a big bass lake for all the reasons stated above. I do believe you have a better chance at a big bass on lakes like theses then a lake in northern Minnesota. The fact that you can put a high fence on a property and set a timer on a feeder and draw the animal in at a certain time makes your chances about 100% that you will get a shot. I believe you can go to one of theses big bass lakes all you want and still not even get a chance at a DD because they just don't want to bite or your on the wrong end of the lake when they do. I have to agree that anyone comparing theses two are uninformed or have never done both. I do believe if I wanted a DD and wanted to pay the money theses lakes give you a better chance but you still have to out smart the bass, if you go to a high fence ranch and can't get a shot something is very wrong with the ranch it self. just my .02

Re: Zona on La Perla lake right now [Re: Frank the Tank] #10619931 02/15/15 03:30 PM
O
ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50) Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
O
I watched the show as well and was extremely impressed with what Dr. Gary Schwarz has done......Tom Mann Sr. had similar private lake with ponds he could drain forage to feed his fish, the results being, he also had exceptionally large fish. The thing I was most curious about was how he got this lake full? Did he have to pump water out of the ground? I just don't see that area of Texas having the kind of rainfall to fill and maintain a lake like that.........
This could easily be done in my home state Louisiana but the thing you have to consider there is flooding which would totally take away your effort...........

2012 ZX200 Skeeter
2012 Yamaha 200 SHO

Isaiah 40:31 "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
Proud student of the Pro Staffer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzwF72B2F2w&t=14s
Re: Zona on La Perla lake right now [Re: soonersorlaters] #10619979 02/15/15 03:53 PM
D
dudley44 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
might be wrong but has permit to pump out of Rio Grande

Re: Zona on La Perla lake right now [Re: horseplaydvm] #10620096 02/15/15 04:57 PM
L
La Perla Ranch Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
Hey Horseplay. Excellent points objectively stated, and I agree with almost all of them. I wrote a long reply and hit submit 30 minutes ago, but it is gone now from here and has not shown up there. What did I do wrong guys?.

Anyway, thanks for showing me a side of the high fence analogy that was not doing so as a criticism. I needed to see that. I think the criticism in the past has made me overly sensitive. I will try to write it again after I get back from church if it does not show up.

Sorry.
Doc

La Perla Ranch
Zapata County, Texas
tecomateranch.com
Re: Zona on La Perla lake right now [Re: La Perla Ranch] #10620144 02/15/15 05:25 PM
Chet Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Here's the deal, some hunters shoot straight some don't. Some bass anglers catch fish often some don't. But if you give me 10 200pt. deer and I turn 5 loose on a 3,000 acre fenced in plot and other 5 I turn loose in Tarrant Co. which will be easier to find? If you give me 20 14lb bass and I turn 10 loose in Fork and 10 loose at a 80 acre pond which will be easier to get over. I think it's that simple. If you take the best hunter and the best fisherman in America the odds of getting around (not killing or catching their prey) are much better in the smaller area period.

Re: Zona on La Perla lake right now [Re: La Perla Ranch] #10620191 02/15/15 05:56 PM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
Hey Horseplay. Excellent points objectively stated, and I agree with almost all of them. I wrote a long reply and hit submit 30 minutes ago, but it is gone now from here and has not shown up there. What did I do wrong guys?.

Anyway, thanks for showing me a side of the high fence analogy that was not doing so as a criticism. I needed to see that. I think the criticism in the past has made me overly sensitive. I will try to write it again after I get back from church if it does not show up.

Sorry.
Doc

Save your breath (and typing fingers) Doc. There are maybe a dozen or so guys on here that actually can appreciate what you are trying to accomplish.

Re: Zona on La Perla lake right now [Re: Chet] #10620201 02/15/15 06:06 PM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
Originally Posted By: Chet
If you give me 20 14lb bass and I turn 10 loose in Fork and 10 loose at a 80 acre pond which will be easier to get over. I think it's that simple.

Thats the whole point Chet. You guys don't have a clue what it takes to raise a 14 lb bass in the first place. Its NOT that simple. If it were there would be 14 pounders being caught all over.

How many 14's have you caught??

Last edited by Ken A.; 02/15/15 06:10 PM.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide