Forums59
Topics1,039,534
Posts13,966,014
Members144,208
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Private waters around collin county [Re: Double K Outdoors] #10995186 07/23/15 11:11 AM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
D
Larry, I remember you and I figuring that out a long time ago. We could raise the fish but had to limit our fishing. It still doesn't seem fair. It seems different for the guys that have bigger bodies of water like Steve. But, the fishing pressure on those also has to be managed.

I still have 3 old catfish. They slap their tails at a red and white cork and quit eating the feed.

BTW, I'm still thanking you for telling me that a free swimming 4 inch bluegill is the best bait for hard to catch bass. But they learn about that too. My footsteps on the bank alert all of them.

Re: Private waters around collin county [Re: Double K Outdoors] #10995876 07/23/15 04:13 PM
M
Meadowlark Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
M
Yep, DD, a painful lesson learned indeed.

As a long time successful rancher and pond aficionado, I don't deny the importance of genetics, a subject of recent discussion here, but I do firmly believe 99% of the pond owners out there are pretty much throwing away money by paying a premium on designer named bass that will never achieve their marketed potential. Fishing pressure is certainly one of the largest factors in that unachieved potential.

If you can't catch them, what use are they?

Re: Private waters around collin county [Re: Double K Outdoors] #10997656 07/24/15 10:19 AM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
D
You nailed it. I tell people to not worry about the bass. It's all about the forage base, water quality, etc. It's like raising cattle. The best ranch manager has to be a grass farmer. The average Texas pond is bass heavy and bluegill light. Managing for big bass is never ending work on culling, feeding the BG and continually checking on them.

Then there's killing just the right amount of vegetation. And, once the pond gets out of balance on either plant life or fish, it takes mucho work and copious amounts of time, sweat and cash to bring it back into balance. Oh, I forgot about rain dances.

Re: Private waters around collin county [Re: Double K Outdoors] #10998870 07/24/15 09:41 PM
D
Double K Outdoors Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
D
I do understand the amount of time and work it takes. My family was going to build a private pond on some land we had in east texas and the whole family was going to help out with the time, work and expenses. We were getting ready to start digging when the plans fell apart due to my grandparents health.
I've done the research so I do understand and I can appreciate all of those factors for private lake owners.
This was taken in a direction that I didn't really want it to go. I was more asking if any of the private lake owners would be willing to work out a deal. I'd still pay to fish, but I can't afford the annual fee on top of paying to fish. I knew that it was going to be a long shot, but you have to ask before you know the answer right?
I had no intentions of trying to cheat anyone out of their money and rightfully, everyone can tell me no. It's not the first time I've been turned down people lol.
This was more brought up because my wife who likes to fish, doesn't always go because of public waters making it harder to catch good numbers and size. She asked me if I could try and find a place, so I tried. I totally understand why the answer would be no and I respect each of you lake/pond owners. Its hard work and time consuming.

~You won't catch any fish if you don't try!
[Linked Image]

Re: Private waters around collin county [Re: Double K Outdoors] #11134236 09/29/15 06:04 AM
F
fish fear me Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
I understand the part where it costs a lot of money to stock/build a lake but I can't see the membership fee and the daily rate.
If you are not taking the bass what are you losing? You got a bass with a sore mouth for 6 months, maybe even die, but that is just one fish.

I don't get it.

If they provided detailed contour maps of the lake that would help 100%. But they don't. So you are spending several daily fees just to figure out where to fish (unless you are just banging the banks).

Re: Private waters around collin county [Re: Double K Outdoors] #11135118 09/29/15 06:46 PM
B
Bill77 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
As mentioned previously, the expenses are just getting started after the pond build and initial stocking. Also, pond owners have concerns about fish catchability rates being proportional to fishing pressure (which are valid),also trashing, and damage to fences, gates, etc are possibilities.
Yes, the cost involved in joining one of the private fishing membership services is a pretty big gulp to swallow for the average person, including myself. however, it was explained in previous posts that the expenses involved in creating and maintaining these commercial fisheries is commensurate with membership prices. Other recreational hobbies are also more expensive these days - golf memberships for one and $30k+ for a top of the line bass boat.

Re: Private waters around collin county [Re: fish fear me] #11136713 09/30/15 02:46 PM
S
salex Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S

1)
Quote:
I understand the part where it costs a lot of money to stock/build a lake but I can't see the membership fee and the daily rate.
We could charge one fee. But our model is built so that you pay as you go. So, those that "use" our lakes pay more than those who only go a few times. The total dollars needed to run a business, are still the same, So, we could raise the membership fee and stop the daily fees, but those who don't fish as much would we paying for those who fish all the time. The ones who fish less frequently would not be happy with this, so we believe in a pay as you go model.

2)
Quote:
If you are not taking the bass what are you losing? You got a bass with a sore mouth for 6 months, maybe even die, but that is just one fish.
. You are losing fishing pressure. Fish can only take so much fishing pressure before they stop or slow down on biting. We lose hundreds of reservations a year, because we build in rest days, between anglers. I know of no other club that monitors fishing pressure. Most have a pay one fee go as often as you wish, so lakes can be "overfished" very easily. We have built a reservation system and staff to monitor reservations, at a considerable expense. But, we believe that fishing pressure is a huge component to catching or not catching fish. Less pressure, means less dollars generated, but increases the odds of catching fish.

3.This is a great idea and one we started to implement. We have provided contour maps on a couple of lakes. We recently purchased a lake mapping unit and will adding these contour maps over the next few years.

Last edited by salex; 09/30/15 02:49 PM.

Steve Alexander
salexander@privatewaterfishing.com
www.privatewaterfishing.com

Re: Private waters around collin county [Re: Double K Outdoors] #11137091 09/30/15 05:27 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
I have several friends who have been members with Steve for years. If you want to fish some outstanding private waters, and have them to yourself, Steve's deal is about as good as they come!

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: Private waters around collin county [Re: Double K Outdoors] #11140045 10/01/15 11:20 PM
D
Double K Outdoors Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
D
I wanted to be clear... I think it's totally worth the money to do it. I just can't afford it lol.
I want to one day and I'd love to take my wife with me, but right now we can't afford to spend this kind of money and yes we have discussed it at great length. I'm just not ready to get rid of My kayak, boat and motorcycle for a few days of excellent fishing. Until then, I'll have to deal with fishing pressure.

I appreciate all you private owners do.

~You won't catch any fish if you don't try!
[Linked Image]

Re: Private waters around collin county [Re: Double K Outdoors] #11141341 10/02/15 04:04 PM
P
Phototex Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
BankBassin, I am a member of PWF, and dearly love the club and the fastastic fishing available to Salex' members. Just as an example - before I joined, I had caught a total of only 3 8-pound Largemouth Bass in my lifetime. Fishing the club's private waters, I caught 4 8-pounders last week. I've also caught two over 9 this past year. If you and your wife would like to try one of these waters, Salex does have a guest policy whereby you can "sample fish." You and your wife would each have to pay exactly what members pay plus a small guest fee, but without paying a membership or initiation fee. I'd be glad to have you join me on one of those waters. PM me if you want to pursue this.

Tom

PB: 10-01 on a Ribbit frog
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide