Originally Posted By: Tristen Rodriguez
That was a great article by Andrew. I'd like to throw my .02 in there and say I try to avoid fishing a bladed bait with braid. In my experience I end up missing a lot of fish because of the stretch factor, even when using a trailer hook. Not sure if anyone has had the same problem but thought I'd throw it out there.

Braid is pointless on a chatterbait and does in fact cause issues. I can undo a wire snap on braid with a hookset honestly. It also does NOT help a bait that already has serious issues staying down in the water column so further limits the usefulness.

Best setup for a bladed jig is (depending on weight but generally speaking) a 7' MH rod with fast action, and a 7:1 reel, fished with 10-20lb fluorocarbon depending on cover.

You can fish a bladed jig on a crankbait rod with slower reel to some success as well (as Brett Hite does) but I have no problem at all pulling my bait away from bass... nor casting it a mile, with the added benefit of being able to skip it into cover, and control the fish more easily. Only place a parabolic rod is a plus is when they follow it to the boat and short line you honestly. Not sure why else you would use one... you can impart different action being able to heavily load the rod and cause it to kick the bait though, which is interesting and nice in grass as well but I find (at least with my cranking rod) that it lacks the power to truly fish and rip free of grass in this manner, though Brett's super fancy Evergreen rod he uses is probably VASTLY different to my cranking rods characteristics still.