Forums59
Topics1,039,593
Posts13,967,213
Members144,208
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
Re: TPWD stocking SAL fingerlings in Jalisco Lake (La Perla) [Re: Big Swimbait] #10165381 07/25/14 11:53 PM
S
soonersorlaters Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted By: Big Swimbait
Originally Posted By: soonersorlaters
I wonder what Fork would have been like if the original brood ponds were developed and managed this way.

Unless you can replicate the entire lake to support the same water quality, forage, etc., I suspect it would be no different.

My thoughts differ. No doubt the females would have been bigger at the flooding stage. If they lived to the same age as the original ones, that 18 lb'er might be a blip on the radar screen.

No doubt? I would first have to know what size bass the Fork brood ponds produced vs. what this project will produce in the same amount of time before I could make that statement.

If I put you on a high protein / fat diet, you will gain weight. When I take that resource away, you cannot sustain it without a similar level of protein / fat.

If the concept is that this project can provide better forage for the fish (in a controlled environment) than your typical reservoir, isn't it simple deductive reasoning to think they would need that same "better forage / conditions" to sustain the same rate of growth in said reservoir?

Fish can lose weight.

Last edited by soonersorlaters; 07/25/14 11:54 PM.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: TPWD stocking SAL fingerlings in Jalisco Lake (La Perla) [Re: Troyz] #10165390 07/25/14 11:57 PM
T
the skipper Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Troyz
Originally Posted By: JacksonBean

So for the record, if none of the conditions in this experiment can/will be duplicated in public waters, how will this benefit Texas fishing in general? Maybe that has already been answered in another post but if it was I missed it.

It's called the scientific method. We use scientific controls to better isolate an independent variable and weigh its effect on the outcome. It's actually the onus of those who started the SAL program. Will we realize that the individuality of the genetics of micropterus salmoides floridanus be deemed a non-factor 20 years from now? Possibly. Does it mean the experiments shouldn't be done just because you found out you were wrong? Absolutely not.

On the surface it sure doesn't seem like a lot of science is involved. You are putting fish into a controlled environment, no predators and all the high protein food they can eat without really working for it. I am going to go out on a limb and guess that they will get bigger quicker. I know that is oversimplification but bottom line, from what we have been told about this experiment, that is what is going on.

Put those same fish or their offspring in a public lake where the food supply is not as good or as plentiful, predators have to be avoided and they have to work for their food, the result is they will not get as big as quick.

Don't bring common sense into it, it has to be "scientific". The real money isn't in the fingerlings, its in the time, equipment, and other maintenance or political hours will be spent on this. Again, I'm am in no way against the doc having his own lake, and doing what he wants to it. But in NO WAY should public money be spent for private gain, and yes there will be a lot of private gain. Not only the recognition that will sell trips to la perla but in 15 years there will be a long line to get in there. Unless they make it public which is out of the question. Maybe this one lake isn't a big difference but this isn't the only one and all that waste adds up. Doc, I am sorry you got caught up in this and this is no disrespect to you.

Re: TPWD stocking SAL fingerlings in Jalisco Lake (La Perla) [Re: Jordan Shipley] #10165436 07/26/14 12:25 AM
W
Workfishngolf37 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
W
How many of you guys going to give up fishing because of this? Only way to change it is to let tp&w know why you aren't buying fishing license this year.

Re: TPWD stocking SAL fingerlings in Jalisco Lake (La Perla) [Re: soonersorlaters] #10165463 07/26/14 12:34 AM
B
Big Swimbait Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
I wonder what Fork would have been like if the original brood ponds were developed and managed this way.

Unless you can replicate the entire lake to support the same water quality, forage, etc., I suspect it would be no different.

My thoughts differ. No doubt the females would have been bigger at the flooding stage. If they lived to the same age as the original ones, that 18 lb'er might be a blip on the radar screen.

No doubt? I would first have to know what size bass the Fork brood ponds produced vs. what this project will produce in the same amount of time before I could make that statement.

If I put you on a high protein / fat diet, you will gain weight. When I take that resource away, you cannot sustain it without a similar level of protein / fat.

If the concept is that this project can provide better forage for the fish (in a controlled environment) than your typical reservoir, isn't it simple deductive reasoning to think they would need that same "better forage / conditions" to sustain the same rate of growth in said reservoir?

Fish can lose weight.

Agreed on the losing weight. My comment was based on the fact that the La Perla fish with their exceptional circumstances, have already shown above normal growth rates. I agree that it could not be sustained, but if the weight gains made from that point forward were equal, then larger fish at the same age would be possible. But I also understand that this would only apply to the first stocking.

Less gritchin', more fishin'
Re: TPWD stocking SAL fingerlings in Jalisco Lake (La Perla) [Re: Jordan Shipley] #10165839 07/26/14 02:57 AM
G
grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
I wonder who is going to pay for all the baitfish in Jalisco? Are prawns, bluegill, shad, minnows & sunfish also donated to the SAL program or are the tax payers buying them?

Re: TPWD stocking SAL fingerlings in Jalisco Lake (La Perla) [Re: Jordan Shipley] #10165979 07/26/14 04:11 AM
W
Workfishngolf37 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
W
If you can't be positive, then at least be quite?? Is that a typo!! That is the most Un American thing a person can say. Thats right up there if you cant say something nice dont say anything at all. But that contradictions nice guys finish last. So if nice guys finish last then I have some ocean front property in Arizona I'd like to sell you.

Re: TPWD stocking SAL fingerlings in Jalisco Lake (La Perla) [Re: Jordan Shipley] #10166010 07/26/14 04:38 AM
B
bigfishtx Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
This post, as well as the others on La Perla, have been interesting to say the least with how many negative posts it's brought.

It looks like the consensus of the naysayers is that TPWD and all Texas Fishing License Holders are getting the shaft. I don't see it, not one bit. Jordan has explained it at least twice. The ~7,000 fingerlings getting stocked into Jalisco will eventually be SAL fish, and TPWD will get those fish. Those fish will be spawned and a large amount of those fry will be stocked into public waters. Jalisco will have to be culled down as well and those big fish have to go somewhere. I guess the easy way to look at this is, say those ~7,000 fry got put in Fork. I have no idea what the survival rate would be, but between all the predatory fish, birds, fishermen keeping unders, etc.... I would be shocked if 15% made it to slot size. At Jalisco, there won't be any predatory fish, or fisherman, and the only threat to the success of those fish will be some extreme weather event, some infection, or maybe some Heron or Cormorants (I bet they have that covered though). As Jordan said previously, the survival rate of those ~7,000 will be multiples higher than anywhere on public water. I don't see anything but positive from that for TPWD as well as all of us who are addicted to these green fish!

What else I see, is TPWD gaining immense amounts of data on Florida Strain Bass. By having Jalisco as a test bed in a controlled environment, they'll be able to see survival rates with no predation, annual growth rates based on water quality and forage, how Florida's grow under ideal water temps and conditions, etc. The list goes on an on. I see TPWD being able to use this data to determine ideal lakes to put pure Floridas in and possibly lakes that would benefit more from F1s. It's a HUGE win for TPWD and us, the bass fishermen.

I guess the biggest thing I see is that Dr Gary Schwarz, in my opinion, is not getting anything out of this deal. In fact, I would say he's LOSING money on this in a major way by not being able to sell trips on Jalisco for 15 years. There are as good or better Florida Strain Bass out there for sale than what TPWD is providing. Dr. Schwarz could easily go purchase fry, stock his lake, and have a great Trophy Bass Fishery in a few years.

I think we all need to consider this. Nobody is making him partner with TPWD, and there are other options out there for fry. As far as I can tell, he's doing this out of the goodness of his heart and his desire to give something to us the bass fishermen.

Keep the Lord in your heart and keep your powder dry.
5:5
Re: TPWD stocking SAL fingerlings in Jalisco Lake (La Perla) [Re: Jordan Shipley] #10166072 07/26/14 05:53 AM
T
txmasterpo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
T
You know......just raising SAL fry to 12"' before stocking would change the results in public waters exponentially......

Whatever Doc is doing or what shenanigans TPW may be up to don't affect any of you really...... just saying

Wonder how much hydrilla costs? ;-) That would help too!!

http://www.trccovers.com

"I am large, I contain multitudes."

Walt Whitman
Re: TPWD stocking SAL fingerlings in Jalisco Lake (La Perla) [Re: Jordan Shipley] #10166205 07/26/14 12:16 PM
G
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
So does anybody know who's in charge of feeding these fish for the next 15 years? A big bass has to eat ALOT of food.

Re: TPWD stocking SAL fingerlings in Jalisco Lake (La Perla) [Re: the skipper] #10166284 07/26/14 01:13 PM
N
Nutman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
N
Originally Posted By: the skipper
Originally Posted By: JacksonBean

So for the record, if none of the conditions in this experiment can/will be duplicated in public waters, how will this benefit Texas fishing in general? Maybe that has already been answered in another post but if it was I missed it.

It's called the scientific method. We use scientific controls to better isolate an independent variable and weigh its effect on the outcome. It's actually the onus of those who started the SAL program. Will we realize that the individuality of the genetics of micropterus salmoides floridanus be deemed a non-factor 20 years from now? Possibly. Does it mean the experiments shouldn't be done just because you found out you were wrong? Absolutely not.

On the surface it sure doesn't seem like a lot of science is involved. You are putting fish into a controlled environment, no predators and all the high protein food they can eat without really working for it. I am going to go out on a limb and guess that they will get bigger quicker. I know that is oversimplification but bottom line, from what we have been told about this experiment, that is what is going on.

Put those same fish or their offspring in a public lake where the food supply is not as good or as plentiful, predators have to be avoided and they have to work for their food, the result is they will not get as big as quick.

Don't bring common sense into it, it has to be "scientific". The real money isn't in the fingerlings, its in the time, equipment, and other maintenance or political hours will be spent on this. Again, I'm am in no way against the doc having his own lake, and doing what he wants to it. But in NO WAY should public money be spent for private gain, and yes there will be a lot of private gain. Not only the recognition that will sell trips to la perla but in 15 years there will be a long line to get in there. Unless they make it public which is out of the question. Maybe this one lake isn't a big difference but this isn't the only one and all that waste adds up. Doc, I am sorry you got caught up in this and this is no disrespect to you.

First:
The fact that they are using assets (time, manpower, fingerlings) supplied by "TAX" money for a private venture is the real issue. Whether the project is successful or not is to be seen & everyone has the opinion on that. But to use "OUR TAX" money on a project that we will not benefit from unless we pay for it again is the real issue. But wait, we do that everyday now with our current government on the Federal level & I thought Texas was better than that.

Second:
Since when can a record bass come from private waters ?
isn't that the reason that bass from Lake Echo can't be weighed for a record.
Lake Echo used to be on the big bass record books and I would suggest still would be if the fish could be weighed from there.

Third:
this whole thing would not be an issue if they had just been "transparent" about it in the first place and it not come out after it was discovered.

People just like to be told ahead of time what is going on and not find out after the fact. Like anything that happens you can spin a story positively or negatively, it is just easier to sell the story in a positive manner before it happens. We will all have our opinion:

My question is:
Why didn't the good Doc just BUY the fingerlings from the TPW for his project ?
Lord knows he has the resources to do just that.
The TPW could have used HIS money to further the SAL project their way.
They would not have used our tax money
& he could have said the SAL fingerlings in his project, fed his way, would produce the BIG BASS that everyone would pay to catch.

Re: TPWD stocking SAL fingerlings in Jalisco Lake (La Perla) [Re: Nutman] #10166309 07/26/14 01:24 PM
B
BassBucknBeer Offline
Angler
Angler
B
Originally Posted By: Nutman

Second:
Since when can a record bass come from private waters ?
isn't that the reason that bass from Lake Echo can't be weighed for a record.
Lake Echo used to be on the big bass record books and I would suggest still would be if the fish could be weighed from there.

All good points...

from the Echo lake website:

" Originally known as Lake Echo, it was once home to the State of Texas record for Largemouth Bass on two different occasions before the lake became part of our private gated community and was renamed Echo Lake. As a private lake, it could no longer be considered for state records and the record was awarded to a public access lake."

The next obvious question is: If a fish from private waters can't be considered for state records, can it's offspring that are transported to a public lake be considered???
crazy

Last edited by BassBucknBeer; 07/26/14 02:16 PM.
Re: TPWD stocking SAL fingerlings in Jalisco Lake (La Perla) [Re: Workfishngolf37] #10168019 07/27/14 04:07 AM
B
Big Swimbait Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted By: Workfishngolf37
If you can't be positive, then at least be quite?? Is that a typo!! That is the most Un American thing a person can say. Thats right up there if you cant say something nice dont say anything at all. But that contradictions nice guys finish last. So if nice guys finish last then I have some ocean front property in Arizona I'd like to sell you.

No, the only typo was in your spelling of "quiet". I just prefer to associate with positive people. My choice as an American - not un-American at all. Please feel free to surround yourself with negativity - there is plenty to go around. Now, let's get this back on topic instead of signatures.

Less gritchin', more fishin'
Re: TPWD stocking SAL fingerlings in Jalisco Lake (La Perla) [Re: Jordan Shipley] #10168065 07/27/14 05:02 AM
N
NDN98 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
N
popcorn

Re: TPWD stocking SAL fingerlings in Jalisco Lake (La Perla) [Re: Big Swimbait] #10168288 07/27/14 01:15 PM
G
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
Originally Posted By: Workfishngolf37

No, the only typo was in your spelling of "quiet". I just prefer to associate with positive people. My choice as an American - not un-American at all. Please feel free to surround yourself with negativity - there is plenty to go around. Now, let's get this back on topic instead of signatures.

So it's better to sit back and let people walk all over you than to say something? I want to know who is paying for all the bait that is going to be fed to the Jalisco SAL bass every year for the next 15 years.

Re: TPWD stocking SAL fingerlings in Jalisco Lake (La Perla) [Re: Jordan Shipley] #10168351 07/27/14 02:04 PM
W
WAWI Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
W
When you use public forums for free marketing losing control of the message and having the thing go sideways on you should be a posibility you take into account. Lol

Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide