Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Why Yellow Magic? [Re: Rhaider] #10151003 07/20/14 05:12 PM
T
Thad Rains Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
bigfishtx,

Robert, well thought out reply. I know a little about the YM since I have thrown it since 2000. Won a T on it and a scum frog in late June of that year. Scum frog caught a 10.48, the YM accounted for 2 8's, a 5 and a 6 for a total of 38.+ One of the greatest weekends topwater fishing I have had. That being said, I have confidence in myself, not my baits (except for about 36 CBs, the kind David Fritts wouldn't take $1000 for each bait, the PROVEN fish catching lures).

The YM SPITS water better than any bait, except maybe the Rico. BTW, when I took the paint off of a YM, a Don Iovino Splash-it and a Rico, I found them to be basically the same blank for all 3 (back in the mid 2000s). The YM can also be walked the dog style of retrieve, not so, most poppers, and Robert already talked about the different sounds they make. I now have over 30 YMs, Ricos and Splash-its. Most are the discontinued 3/8s oz model (14 of them, maybe the worlds largest collection). The 3/8s oz YM (Plus 1) model is even better at catching big fish than the 1/4 oz. models. You can find them on Ebay for $20 to $50 each. Good luck if you try them. Hope this helps.

Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains

Thad Rains
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Why Yellow Magic? [Re: Rhaider] #10160246 07/24/14 03:01 AM
Big Red 12 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I can't explain it either. I use to have just one. We would be in a tournament and my son would pick mine up and start catching them. I would have to get a Pop-R out and throw it and never get bit. Didn't understand it. A fish took that away from me at Fork. I cried. Bought several from TW on a 20% off sale. I probably have 20+ now.

Re: Why Yellow Magic? [Re: Rhaider] #10160759 07/24/14 01:24 PM
C
Chasin Hogs Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Yall using the 1/4 or the 1/2 oz

Re: Why Yellow Magic? [Re: Jarrett Latta] #10160827 07/24/14 01:51 PM
R
Razorback Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
R
Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta
Change the hooks on the magic, they are very soft

I agree and do this with every Yellow Magic I throw.

Re: Why Yellow Magic? [Re: Rhaider] #10163117 07/25/14 03:52 AM
R
Rhaider Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
R
Wow this is more information about topwater baits than I thought was ever possible! Thanks everyone for your input!

Re: Why Yellow Magic? [Re: Rhaider] #10163137 07/25/14 03:59 AM
R
Railhead Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
love fishing spooks, my buddy sells the yellow magic. never would buy one. he said "I'll give it to you, if you like it, send me a check, if you don't send it back. needless to say, I sent the check. now need to order more.

Triton-TR20
Re: Why Yellow Magic? [Re: Rhaider] #10163243 07/25/14 05:15 AM
P
pYr8 Offline
Angler
Angler
P
IMHO, Yellow Magics are a substitute for changing up presentation. I've never seen them pull a strike where another top water worked for the conditions wouldn't. As the age old saying goes, it's not what you got, it's how you use it. Go and ask most any old salts in fishing. A huge part of the fishing industry relies on catching anglers, fish is up to you.

I hate to be a bummer on y'all who thrive on running up credit limits on new goodies, but fish have limited intelligence. The same thing, fished a little different can get the stubborn ones.

Granted, fish get used to seeing the same thing over & over. But often a new lure isn't the key, a new lure just makes it easier. Rethink what the fish think...

Just my $0.02 worth...

Re: Why Yellow Magic? [Re: pYr8] #10163327 07/25/14 10:49 AM
Lee in Texas Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
THIS: A huge part of the fishing industry relies on catching anglers, fish is up to you.
Learned that lesson ALL OVER AGAIN! rolfmao

Originally Posted By: pYr8
IMHO, Yellow Magics are a substitute for changing up presentation. I've never seen them pull a strike where another top water worked for the conditions wouldn't. As the age old saying goes, it's not what you got, it's how you use it. Go and ask most any old salts in fishing. A huge part of the fishing industry relies on catching anglers, fish is up to you.

I hate to be a bummer on y'all who thrive on running up credit limits on new goodies, but fish have limited intelligence. The same thing, fished a little different can get the stubborn ones.

Granted, fish get used to seeing the same thing over & over. But often a new lure isn't the key, a new lure just makes it easier. Rethink what the fish think...

Just my $0.02 worth...

http://www.finfeatherresort.com/index.asp - Best Folks on Toledo Bend !!!
http://bassclubofthewest.angelfire.com/ -West Ft Worth Bass Club
http://www.gleasonfishing.com/ Darold Gleason (Toledo Bend Guide)
2004 Stratos Complete Restoration 2014!!! With Much Gratitude to:
Cal's Marine/Azle,Texas (817)300-2827
Re: Why Yellow Magic? [Re: Rhaider] #10163611 07/25/14 01:39 PM
L
larry rasure Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
I have yellow magic which works good,but I have just as good a luck with my old heddon chugger spook in black shore minnow with a feathered hook and the back. The chugger spook catches lots of big bass.

Re: Why Yellow Magic? [Re: pYr8] #10163665 07/25/14 01:57 PM
S
soonersorlaters Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S

Just my $0.02 worth...

So, would you agree that Grande Bass Rattlesnakes are just as effective as Hags F4's?

Re: Why Yellow Magic? [Re: Rhaider] #10164009 07/25/14 03:47 PM
Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life) Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Yellow magic and Rico's catch fish they usually don't catch fisherman because most of y'all are to dumb to think that your pop R or whatever will even come close to a yellow magic or Rico. If u wanna catch more and bigger fish buy YM or Rico if u wanna save money so u can waste it on something like a laser crankbait buy the cheaper brands

Re: Why Yellow Magic? [Re: soonersorlaters] #10164044 07/25/14 03:59 PM
Donald Harper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: soonersorlaters

Just my $0.02 worth...

So, would you agree that Grande Bass Rattlesnakes are just as effective as Hags F4's?

There is one other hand pour that is even better. Capt. Grump's Cat Tails.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: Why Yellow Magic? [Re: Rhaider] #10164967 07/25/14 09:08 PM
T
Thad Rains Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
I have seen the YM do it's magic against 3 other poppers. Got a chance to fish with a guide once, he had two friends that were touring pros and I bet them that I could catch more fish on my YM popper (1/4 oz) to their 3 fishing other poppers. For every fish I caught more than them, they each owed me $5, for every fish they caught more than me, I owed them $1. After about 8 minutes, they called the bet off, as I was up 4 nothing on them and I had missed 3 more bites, so they wanted to know what I was using. This was many years ago, before the YM got popular, but it just went to prove to me and to them that it was a special bait, at least at that time and place it was. They paid me off and made me give them one each of the 1/4 oz. baits and 1 each of the 3/8s oz. baits. I told them to only throw those on HEAVY test and they didn't they all lost their baits to big fish using 15 and 17# test, they could not believe the big fish catching attributes of the 3/8s oz.

Thad Rains
Re: Why Yellow Magic? [Re: Rhaider] #10166099 07/26/14 07:28 AM
D
DevinJoe Offline
Angler
Angler
D
The small ym popper is the only topwater besides a frog that i throw. i have been outfished 5 to 1 when i was throwing something else and the guy .in the front or back was throwing a ym. not sure why but it convinced me. i throw japanese shad bone and the clear one. i just looked at their site and i dont even see one with a "blue ghost stripe" and the colors i throw dont have anything lke that so i dont think that has anything to do with it. just buy a one and u wont be dissapointed

Re: Why Yellow Magic? [Re: pYr8] #10167636 07/27/14 12:50 AM
P
PhishWhisperer Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
P

Just my $0.02 worth...

Well, I guess I would qualify to be called an "old salt". For a long time I resisted buying a Yellow Magic because I just couldn't believe it could be that much better than my old standard Pop-R. I eventually gave in and bought one. I have fished it along side of Pop-R's and almost always caught more fish on the Yellow Magic. So, I would say that there is something different about the Yellow Magic, and it, in fact, catches more fish than other poppers.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide