Forums59
Topics1,040,125
Posts13,975,913
Members144,228
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: "Plane Speed" law at night on lakes [Re: YankHardReelFast] #10109144 07/03/14 12:30 PM
Bissett Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I know Grand Lake has a speed limit at night of 35 and they are on the lookout.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: "Plane Speed" law at night on lakes [Re: YankHardReelFast] #10109155 07/03/14 12:36 PM
B
Bass_Bustin_Texan Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Our local private Lake Cherokee has a speed limit in open water of 45 mph, in the boat lane it is 25mph. Daytime limits.

Don't think for a second they aren't sitting behind a point using their radar gun.

I have a feeling it's coming to the lake near you.

IMO, it's about time for a speed limit. Motors and boats get faster and most of these rules were written in the early days of boats and motors. If not you could wake up one day to one of those speed boats racing past your fishing hole at 200 mph.

You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish. ~Unknown

Open your eyes & look within, are you satisfied with the life youre living.

No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.
Re: "Plane Speed" law at night on lakes [Re: Bissett] #10109164 07/03/14 12:41 PM
Okie Poke Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Bissett

This is a state law in OK and affects all lakes and reservoirs.

😎 Dallas Cowboys....eventual Superbowl Champions 😎

Re: "Plane Speed" law at night on lakes [Re: Okie Poke] #10109171 07/03/14 12:44 PM
Bissett Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Okie Poke
Originally Posted By: Bissett

This is a state law in OK and affects all lakes and reservoirs.

Wow well that's good to know!! lol. I guess the reason I thought that was because the majority of night tournaments are all on Grand. I do have one next weekend on Tenkiller though so I'll definitely keep this in mind! Saved me a possible ticket!

Re: "Plane Speed" law at night on lakes [Re: Okie Poke] #10109245 07/03/14 01:18 PM
Y
YankHardReelFast Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Y
I had no idea the states were getting involved in speed limits. This brings up a whole new topic. The motor manufacturers have to be lobbying against any kind of limits. If they stuck a 50mph speed limit on Texas lakes, that would kill the market for a 300hp motor....not to mention, it would probably cut back on the 250s also. The 200s and 225s sales would increase though.

Man, just think of the money we'd save if they did that...boats would cost less, we'd use less fuel, less oil....stupid idea! LOL

Re: "Plane Speed" law at night on lakes [Re: YankHardReelFast] #10109259 07/03/14 01:24 PM
M
mstring Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
I think this is a great rule. I learned my lesson years ago on Cypress Springs on night, running about 70 and running through a flock of mud hens sitting on the water. Didn't see them until I got hit in the chest with one. Talk about a mess.

Re: "Plane Speed" law at night on lakes [Re: YankHardReelFast] #10109287 07/03/14 01:34 PM
S
soonersorlaters Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted By: YankHardReelFast
I had no idea the states were getting involved in speed limits. This brings up a whole new topic. The motor manufacturers have to be lobbying against any kind of limits. If they stuck a 50mph speed limit on Texas lakes, that would kill the market for a 300hp motor....not to mention, it would probably cut back on the 250s also. The 200s and 225s sales would increase though.

Man, just think of the money we'd save if they did that...boats would cost less, we'd use less fuel, less oil....stupid idea! LOL

Having 70 MPH speed limits on roads hasn't stopped us from buying vehicles capable of 150mph.

There will always be a faction of people that have to have the biggest, fastest, whatever............"just because".

Re: "Plane Speed" law at night on lakes [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #10109304 07/03/14 01:39 PM
J
Jim Deeds Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Originally Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan
Our local private Lake Cherokee has a speed limit in open water of 45 mph, in the boat lane it is 25mph. Daytime limits.

Don't think for a second they aren't sitting behind a point using their radar gun.

I have a feeling it's coming to the lake near you.

IMO, it's about time for a speed limit. Motors and boats get faster and most of these rules were written in the early days of boats and motors. If not you could wake up one day to one of those speed boats racing past your fishing hole at 200 mph.

Actually, I'm pretty sure it's 40 on the open water (20 at night), 20 in the boat roads and idle speed everywhere else on Cherokee. I'm OK with this - like everywhere else, there are a lot of idiots out there. Normally traffic is relatively light, except for weekends like this one.

Of course, it's a relatively small lake (same size as Murvaul) and really, you can be almost anywhere in 15 minutes.

Last edited by Jim Deeds; 07/03/14 01:41 PM.
Re: "Plane Speed" law at night on lakes [Re: YankHardReelFast] #10109454 07/03/14 02:38 PM
921 Phoenix Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I am not sure on open water or mark boat lanes why you would need a speed limit in the daylight hours. I agree totally with a 35 or 40 MPH at night just to dangerous. I night fish with a guy who likes to run fast in the day light hours but he only runs about 40 at night with a high beam light leading the way.

Re: "Plane Speed" law at night on lakes [Re: YankHardReelFast] #10109496 07/03/14 02:52 PM
9094 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I think if anyplace needs a daytime speed limit it is boatlanes. Most are like 2 lane roads with thick forest on each side. Wide open spaces are a different matter, lots of room to move and react.

Re: "Plane Speed" law at night on lakes [Re: YankHardReelFast] #10109532 07/03/14 03:07 PM
H
HasBen Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
H
For all you guys that are wishing for speed limits, horsepower restrictions, etc....just remember what a slippery slope you are asking for. You are asking for more government intrusion into your life. Next it will be boat driver's license, background checks before you can buy a boat, mandatory liability insurance,...etc. How about we take personal responsibility for our actions. How about self monitoring. How about following the laws and enforcing the laws we already have before we enact a bunch of new restrictions on our freedom. How about thinking before you ask the government to take any more control over your life than they already have.

“There’s no such thing as too much horsepower, just not enough traction”…..Carroll Shelby
Re: "Plane Speed" law at night on lakes [Re: YankHardReelFast] #10109560 07/03/14 03:16 PM
J
JeffLStevens Offline
Angler
Angler
J
Well put HasBen.

Re: "Plane Speed" law at night on lakes [Re: YankHardReelFast] #10109562 07/03/14 03:16 PM
B
badfishxD Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
I always creep at night. Never know what's in front of you until it's too late.

Re: "Plane Speed" law at night on lakes [Re: HasBen] #10109579 07/03/14 03:22 PM
Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life) Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: HasBen
For all you guys that are wishing for speed limits, horsepower restrictions, etc....just remember what a slippery slope you are asking for. You are asking for more government intrusion into your life. Next it will be boat driver's license, background checks before you can buy a boat, mandatory liability insurance,...etc. How about we take personal responsibility for our actions. How about self monitoring. How about following the laws and enforcing the laws we already have before we enact a bunch of new restrictions on our freedom. How about thinking before you ask the government to take any more control over your life than they already have.

X2 people need to take responsibility for their safety and others especially if they do not want the government jumping in and trying to do it for them

Re: "Plane Speed" law at night on lakes [Re: HasBen] #10109593 07/03/14 03:28 PM
B
Bass_Bustin_Texan Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Originally Posted By: HasBen

Problem is as we all post...we are the safe ones. smile

It's the others you have to worry about. Some don't care. Some only think of themselves. Some are invincible. I'd like to think if I take my family out on the lake that everyone is a safe and long time boat driver....but it's not that way.

You can take a person who has never even pulled a boat, go buy one with 2-300hp motors 40' long and take off across a small lake if you wanted before sunset....full speed, no regulations, no permit needed, and insurance only if you financed it. Is it smart? I'd say not, but some people now days need limits and rules so they don't kill someone else.

I am the first to agree, I don't like new rules, but when you take my family safety into effect I tend to listen more. smile

(For instance - Gun laws get tossed around, but yet we get into our own speeding bullet (car) every day. Taking our and other lives into our own hands. One slight miss turn and your life can be over.

If you look at the percentage of people driving vs. gun toters.....you got a higher chance of dying from a car than a gun. I think regulations is certain aspect in life are where we need to focus....right now..immigration....someone needs to stop. I for one would like to see a new law...to prevent stuff like this going on now. ^^ As the world changes we have to adapt to what is going on around us and the advances in technology.)

You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish. ~Unknown

Open your eyes & look within, are you satisfied with the life youre living.

No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide