Texas Fishing Forum

Nucanoe Frontier 12 Feedback/Advice

Posted By: Aggie61

Nucanoe Frontier 12 Feedback/Advice - 09/19/14 08:47 PM

Was looking to purchase a tandem kayak to introduce my son, 8 YO, to kayak fishing. I have been looking at the Native Ultimate 15FX but leaning toward the Nucanoe Frontier 12. Not going to be covering long distances, <5 miles. I am average built less than 200#. Majority of fishing inshore, small lakes and occasional rivers.

Can anyone comment on the Nucanoe Frontier 12, Pros and Cons. Nucanoe priced at $1485 with Pro Max swivel seats compared to native ultimate 15 fx at $1600.

Thanks for any comments and input.
Posted By: yakintime

Re: Nucanoe Frontier 12 Feedback/Advice - 09/19/14 09:02 PM

We'll have the Frontier 12 and the Frontier 10 at our Mariner Sails Demo Day September 27th at Lake Lewisville. We'll also have the NuCanoe representative here to help with any questions you may have.

click for details
http://www.mariner-sails.com/events.asp
Posted By: Tommar

Re: Nucanoe Frontier 12 Feedback/Advice - 09/19/14 10:40 PM

I just got one myself last week. Been out twice and like it so far. Still trying seat and rod holder locations to find what I like.

I did have to sand the back end a little to put my suction cup transducer on it.

Read my thread Thoughts on a Nucanoe for good points others gave me.

Re: Nucanoe Frontier 12 Feedback/Advice - 09/19/14 11:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Tommar
I just got one myself last week. Been out twice and like it so far. Still trying seat and rod holder locations to find what I like.

I did have to sand the back end a little to put my suction cup transducer on it.

Read my thread Thoughts on a Nucanoe for good points others gave me.

Can you post that link? How did it paddle? Track well?

Thanks
Posted By: FlyGuy66

Re: Nucanoe Frontier 12 Feedback/Advice - 09/20/14 03:44 AM

If you want a very versatile, extremely stable kayak that works well in all the waters you mentioned and is great solo and good tandem, the Nucanoe Frontier 12 is the right boat. Given the boat's exceptional stability, roominess, comfort, and safe weight rating, it is also surprisingly agile.

Re: Nucanoe Frontier 12 Feedback/Advice - 09/20/14 04:29 AM

Has their been any issues with Nucanoe quality control? Have read some post with issues regarding hull warping.
Posted By: jtbgator

Re: Nucanoe Frontier 12 Feedback/Advice - 09/20/14 03:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Aggie61

Has their been any issues with Nucanoe quality control? Have read some post with issues regarding hull warping.

I believe the warping issues were with the older model Frontiers. I had an F10 a while ago and didn't really care for it. But your usage with your kids is different from mine. My Frontier was a barge and didn't track well. If it were me, I'd go with the Native FX 15. I've only heard great things about the FX line.

I would also think resale value for the FX > Frontier 12, if you ever intend to sell/upgrade later on.

Take them both out and see which you prefer.
Posted By: FlyGuy66

Re: Nucanoe Frontier 12 Feedback/Advice - 09/21/14 12:21 AM

The F10 is not an efficient hull design. So it doesn't track well or paddle nearly as easily as the F12. The deck crack issue that a FEW people were having has been addressed on all 2014 models and there is a free insert available for older model F12's from Nucanoe. It wasn't a common problem, but they addressed it anyway.

There's a major difference between the Native Ultimate and the Nucanoe Frontier: Ultimates SINK...Nucanoes DON'T. Kids on board? I want a boat that floats when swamped!
Posted By: jtbgator

Re: Nucanoe Frontier 12 Feedback/Advice - 09/21/14 01:13 PM

Originally Posted By: FlyGuy66
There's a major difference between the Native Ultimate and the Nucanoe Frontier: Ultimates SINK...Nucanoes DON'T. Kids on board? I want a boat that floats when swamped!

Good point!
Posted By: Tommar

Re: Nucanoe Frontier 12 Feedback/Advice - 09/22/14 04:19 AM

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbt...e?#Post10242040

Here is the link to the post I started a few weeks ago. There is good info in there.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum