Print Thread
Circle hook help #9991223 05/17/14 12:52 AM
M
mdsdoc Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
M
Ok, I haven't fished much in probably ten or more years so am re learning via this forum which is awesome. Have gotten the fever again and am trying to figure out how to rig a circle hook. Learned I need to snell the hook. Which is not so easy. Any tips would be awesome. Mostly I want to know if I need a swivel before the hook or not. I used to use Kahle hooks and just tie a weight to the line above the hook with a barrel weight? using palomars. Not sure it has an eye in it. Has been way too long since I fished.

Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Circle hook help [Re: mdsdoc] #9991260 05/17/14 01:12 AM
P
pixelfish85 Offline
Angler
Angler
P
Well it depends on the rig you are trying to use. I use a lot of Santee Cooper rigs so I rig them like this:

http://www.learntocatchcatfish.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/santee-cooper-catfish-rig.jpg

Just remember that circle hooks are not like J hooks. You do not want to set the hook. Once you get a bite just take up the slack and the fish will hook itself. Once you take up the slack I usually give it a slow lift just to make sure the fish is on, and then pull em in. I have yet to gut hook a fish, but if you are doing some CPR make sure you use right size circle hook on cats or you will end up blinding them. Use the smallest hook you can get away with for the targeted species.

Re: Circle hook help [Re: pixelfish85] #9991387 05/17/14 02:04 AM
M
mdsdoc Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
M
I have seen that and feel it would be good but haven't tried it yet. I am going bank fishing tomorrow in a neighborhood pond and feel that's overkill. (Not sure how deep it is). Was just wanting to know if no float and only hook and weight do I still need the swivel. Also thanks for the tip on the hook. I can't get myself off setting hook. Was at Joe pool in Cedar Hill state park last weekend and I kept trying to set hook even though I've read not to. I did try to not sometimes but it never hooked my bites. Guy beside me said it was probably little ones. I gave it time and reeled in but didn't know ow how to make sure it was set. I kept reeling in probably too far.

Re: Circle hook help [Re: mdsdoc] #9991415 05/17/14 02:14 AM
P
pixelfish85 Offline
Angler
Angler
P
Well it depends on how much stuff is on the bottom of that pond. I'd still use a float if it has a lot of weeds. It lets the kitties find it easier.

Last edited by pixelfish85; 05/17/14 02:14 AM.
Re: Circle hook help [Re: mdsdoc] #9991468 05/17/14 02:39 AM
M
mjmetro0719 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
M
I use circle hooks for bluecats, I have never had much luck with them on channel cats, I'm sure they work and I have caught channels on circle hooks while fishing for blues but when I targeted channels and used them I missed alot of fish, I prefer a khale so when I feel the pressure I can set the hook on them

Last edited by mjmetro0719; 05/17/14 02:42 AM.

Mike
Re: Circle hook help [Re: mdsdoc] #9991475 05/17/14 02:43 AM
Txmedic033 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Make sure you snell your circle hooks to improve your hookups.

Re: Circle hook help [Re: mdsdoc] #9991493 05/17/14 02:52 AM
M
Minnowkiller Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
M
Use a swivel about a foot above the hook and have weight sliding up and down the line above the swivel, this gives less resistance for the fish to feel the weight of the line and let's you detect bites better, then you want about a 1ft leader under the swivel to the hook

PB 35lb flathead
Re: Circle hook help [Re: mdsdoc] #9992161 05/17/14 05:59 PM
Txmedic033 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Why is it that every hook manufacturer has a different size hook than the others? I ordered 100 10/0 hooks only to find out that I have 5/0 hooks that are bigger. It's pretty frustrating.

Re: Circle hook help [Re: mdsdoc] #9992324 05/17/14 08:20 PM
O
opus Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
O
Cause then ya have to REorder, it is kinda stupid have NEVER got any that were bigger than I wanted, got pretty good at openin the gap tho

Re: Circle hook help [Re: mdsdoc] #9992393 05/17/14 09:12 PM
J
JB in Ft Worth Offline
Angler
Angler
J
I typically fish a Kahle or circle hook under a slip cork. I like the flexibility that the slip cork gives - you can fish just off the bottom or suspended at any given depth. Also, you rarely get hung up on the bottom that way.

The rig I use is basically a Santee rig with the slip cork added: - bobber stop -> slip cork -> 1/4 oz barrel weight -> barrel swivel -> 18" of 20 lb. leader -> 2/0 to 8/0 hook.

Re: Circle hook help [Re: opus] #9992441 05/17/14 09:41 PM
C
catchum Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
I am using 2/0-3/0 Eagle C/hooks. I switched over to the circle hooks about 8 or 10 yrs back. The hardest thing is not to set the hooks as with other types of hooks. I have to bank fish as I sold my boat several yrs ago. The line is 20 lb test on a Garcia 6500 reel using an 8-9 ft rod to get the distances when needed to reach out a little. I rig up a 3 1/2 -4 oz weight and tie it to the end of the line. The C hook is placed up about 16 inches of the weight on a leader drop with an 10 inch leader. Place a float up about 12 inches from the leader drop to keep the bait off the bottom and help to wind in if you miss the fish bit. I make my own rod holders and will place out 2 to 4 rods to see if they are bitings. Most fish will hook themselves when the heavy weights drag on the bottom. The problem with most people is when the line moves the think they need to set the hook. Let the fish hook up and then you pick up and start to wind without setting the hook. If you want the big blues you will need to use heavy line and hooks. I have caught channel cat and blues with these same C hooks. Use a slack line and wait!! If the fish doesn't hook up after a few bits it is probably to small to catch. I have lost only one fish which broke the line. I am trying to catch eating size fish. No stink bait for me!!!!!

Remember to let the line be slack on the ground. The fish will let you know if he is hooked. Set back and have a cool one!!! Still enjoying fishing after 75 yrs plus.

I have caught blues up to 38 lbs on 2/0 hooks using shrimp or shad. The best catching bait has been cut carp in the spring. Leave the skin on and make 1/2 - 1/2 - 1 inch long baits. Don't try to hide the hooks. My best catch was from the bank on Richland Chambers on day from 2 pm to 4 pm. I quit with 19 blues to 13 lbs. I thought I was perch fishing!!!!

Re: Circle hook help [Re: mdsdoc] #9993238 05/18/14 11:13 AM
J
jackiekennedyfishingguide Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
" I used to use Kahle hooks and just tie a weight to the line above the hook with a barrel weight? using palomars"

If it ain't broke don't fix it or fix it until it is...
I fish kahle hooks and have for a very long time, thanks to Chris(Catman)Watson, my hookup ratio is very high and I seldom deep hook fish. If you know when and how to set the hook they work excellent. I do keep some circles in the boat for people who don't know how to fish or set the hook and just start reeling.
Simple economics and working great keep me using kahle hooks. 40 are about $4 at Academy or buy circles for how much? Just keep on using what works or follow the crowd.

903-603-3793
Clients or I have landed eight state record fish and eighteen water body records.
TPWD Elite Angler
[Linked Image]
jackiekennedyfishingguide

Re: Circle hook help [Re: mdsdoc] #9993282 05/18/14 12:16 PM
C
CatBoss Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Several very good vendors on eBay for bulk purchases on great quality hooks
Dont pay mark up for fancy brand labeling

Re: Circle hook help [Re: mdsdoc] #9994422 05/18/14 11:59 PM
Caribou Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: mdsdoc
I have seen that and feel it would be good but haven't tried it yet. I am going bank fishing tomorrow in a neighborhood pond and feel that's overkill. (Not sure how deep it is). Was just wanting to know if no float and only hook and weight do I still need the swivel. Also thanks for the tip on the hook. I can't get myself off setting hook. Was at Joe pool in Cedar Hill state park last weekend and I kept trying to set hook even though I've read not to. I did try to not sometimes but it never hooked my bites. Guy beside me said it was probably little ones. I gave it time and reeled in but didn't know ow how to make sure it was set. I kept reeling in probably too far.

Couple of things.

You will have much more luck using circle hooks if you out your rods in rod holders. I prefer PVC rod holders. It keeps the rod from moving, and allows the resistance from your line and rod hook the fish. If it's in your hands, it's hard to apply the pressure without yanking the rod.

As far as swivels go, I always use a swivel. I like to use a 20lb test line on my reel, and a 40lb line for leaders. So I will slide a weight onto my main like (20lb) then tie on a good sized swivel. Then tie on my hook that has been snelled using the 40lb test. I use the bigger line for leaders because big cats have basically sandpaper for teeth, and the bigger line is much more abrasion resistant.

As has been mentioned, circle hooks don't work well for me with channel cats. An joe pool has mostly channel cats. If I'm fishing in a lake like JP, I'll use stink bait with a treble hook. I also wouldn't use circle hooks in a neighborhood pond unless you know there are big cats in it. I'd use treble hooks with stink bait, or small hooks with worms.

Re: Circle hook help [Re: Caribou] #9996655 05/19/14 08:37 PM
B
BroIncarnate Offline
Angler
Angler
B
Originally Posted By: Caribou
Originally Posted By: mdsdoc

Couple of things.

You will have much more luck using circle hooks if you out your rods in rod holders. I prefer PVC rod holders. It keeps the rod from moving, and allows the resistance from your line and rod hook the fish. If it's in your hands, it's hard to apply the pressure without yanking the rod.

As far as swivels go, I always use a swivel. I like to use a 20lb test line on my reel, and a 40lb line for leaders. So I will slide a weight onto my main like (20lb) then tie on a good sized swivel. Then tie on my hook that has been snelled using the 40lb test. I use the bigger line for leaders because big cats have basically sandpaper for teeth, and the bigger line is much more abrasion resistant.

As has been mentioned, circle hooks don't work well for me with channel cats. An joe pool has mostly channel cats. If I'm fishing in a lake like JP, I'll use stink bait with a treble hook. I also wouldn't use circle hooks in a neighborhood pond unless you know there are big cats in it. I'd use treble hooks with stink bait, or small hooks with worms.

^^ This! All depends on where you are fishing (pond vs lake, how big is the pong/lake) I use 12 lb test with 20 lb leader for where I fish (Granger/Pflugerville). I go to 4/0 circle hooks for blues with a worm/shrimp/cut bait/live perch/shad) and 6/0 trebles with punch bait for channels. Pfluger has channels, never seen a blue outta there, so I always use trebles. Granger has channels and blues but I've not seen a blue outta there yet from bank fishing!

I use standard slip rig with (12 lb) Main Line------------->(1oz-2oz weight for where I fish) --------------->Barrel Swivel-------------->(20 lb)1 ft Leader ----------> 4/0 Circle (with worm/shrimp/cut or live bait) or 6/0 treble (punch bait)-

Good luck!!!! thumb

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide