Print Thread
Headed to Colorado in late June, need advice #9977521 05/12/14 02:46 PM
B
bsc Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Me and my wife are planning a trip to Colorado in late June, looking for areas to go. Looking to hike and camp for a couple nights, would like somewhere with some privacy with a river nearby that has some decent fishing. Dont mike hiking a bit to some good areas, but nothing too crazy. Planning on probably a weeklong trip so hopefully can try a couple different places including driving there/back. Driving from DFW area so anything on the southern side of Colorado would be preferable.

Thanks for any info!

Re: Headed to Colorado in late June, need advice [Re: bsc] #9977782 05/12/14 04:27 PM
R
Robert Hunter Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
This sound like a perfect trip for the conejo vally. The tribes should be comin down by then. It's not very crowded and great fishing everywhere. A good hike and fish would be elk creek get to the second meadow before you start fishing hard. I think it's at about the five mile mark. Also the upper Los pinos has some quality fish start down by the train station food hall and hike up from there. You can get directions from conejo river anglers. Also there is a three mile stretch of quality water right out side Antonio on the Los pinos that I one of my favorites. This is in New Mexico though. I would bet the main river will be very high still so be careful wadding. Golden stones should be going well.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [url=https://postimages.org/][img]https://i.postimg.cc/bsQJFvLj/
Re: Headed to Colorado in late June, need advice [Re: bsc] #9978635 05/12/14 10:01 PM
K
karpbuster Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
Originally Posted By: bsc
Me and my wife are planning a trip to Colorado in late June, looking for areas to go. Looking to hike and camp for a couple nights, would like somewhere with some privacy with a river nearby that has some decent fishing. Dont mike hiking a bit to some good areas, but nothing too crazy. Planning on probably a weeklong trip so hopefully can try a couple different places including driving there/back. Driving from DFW area so anything on the southern side of Colorado would be preferable.

Thanks for any info!

Well I have fished, backpacked all along the southern Colorado, Northern New Mexico mountains. You want to stay in a cabin or camp ground and do day hikes? If yes, I would second the Conejos, awesome fishing and great day hikes ... from Platero up to Conejos falls, Lake Kerr, the river is awesome fishing above and below Platero. I have hiked one other lake ... can't remember, closer to Platero. I would guess you will drive thru Santa Fe and up to Chama, NM.

I also like Williams Creek reservoir, CO up past Pagosa Springs, the Los Pinos and Piedra rivers are great fishing. Great camping. For the family Vallecito lake is nice (by Bayfield), I use to go there before it was so popular, now it is busy in the summer but still beautiful, need camping reservations.

The Chama NM area has the same deal great camping and fishing.

"Love is something more stern and splendid than mere kindness."

"All that we call human history--money, poverty, ambition, war, prostitution, classes, empires, slavery--[is] the long terrible story of man trying to find something other than God which will make him happy." � C.S. Lewis

C.S. Lewis
Re: Headed to Colorado in late June, need advice [Re: karpbuster] #9978649 05/12/14 10:09 PM
K
karpbuster Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
I was just looking at the map and remembered that Williams Creek is 10 miles to the Los Pinos river, a hike for sure, but you will be rewarded with awesome fishing (overnight trip). The piedra rivers are right there and excellent fishing.

The closest is Chama area then Conejos, then Williams Creek/Vallecito Lake.

"Love is something more stern and splendid than mere kindness."

"All that we call human history--money, poverty, ambition, war, prostitution, classes, empires, slavery--[is] the long terrible story of man trying to find something other than God which will make him happy." � C.S. Lewis

C.S. Lewis
Re: Headed to Colorado in late June, need advice [Re: bsc] #9978962 05/13/14 12:11 AM
R
Ri0Getter Offline
Angler
Angler
R
Durango area is awesome. Great town and more water then you know how to fish. you have the animas that holds monster browns. You can drive an hour and be at he lower san juan in new mexico. You would be very close to some small creeks and streams also.

Re: Headed to Colorado in late June, need advice [Re: karpbuster] #9979066 05/13/14 12:44 AM
B
bsc Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Thanks guys! Looking to hike in somewhere and just setup camp next to a river, not like a dedicated campsite. Maybe 2-3 nights b4 going back to the car.

Originally Posted By: karpbuster
Originally Posted By: bsc

Thanks for any info!

Well I have fished, backpacked all along the southern Colorado, Northern New Mexico mountains. You want to stay in a cabin or camp ground and do day hikes? If yes, I would second the Conejos, awesome fishing and great day hikes ... from Platero up to Conejos falls, Lake Kerr, the river is awesome fishing above and below Platero. I have hiked one other lake ... can't remember, closer to Platero. I would guess you will drive thru Santa Fe and up to Chama, NM.

I also like Williams Creek reservoir, CO up past Pagosa Springs, the Los Pinos and Piedra rivers are great fishing. Great camping. For the family Vallecito lake is nice (by Bayfield), I use to go there before it was so popular, now it is busy in the summer but still beautiful, need camping reservations.

The Chama NM area has the same deal great camping and fishing.

Re: Headed to Colorado in late June, need advice [Re: bsc] #9979350 05/13/14 02:02 AM
R
Robert Hunter Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
You might really research elk creek if you can really dedicate your self to it and get to the third meadow(about 12 miles). You find real solitude wilderness and browns rainbows and cuttbows to 24 inches. Bear bags and bear spray a must up there. If you get your wife up there I would mind your p's&q's for the rest of your life that is a pack trip that you will never forget.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [url=https://postimages.org/][img]https://i.postimg.cc/bsQJFvLj/
Re: Headed to Colorado in late June, need advice [Re: bsc] #9979803 05/13/14 08:05 AM
F
Fwt Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
I'd plan my trip based on snow levels going forward. Yes, the Conejos is nice but the snow pack is below 40%. Things could be skinny when you're there. If you're willing to hike, you can find fish in any drainage in the state. Good luck w/ it!

ftp://ftp-fc.sc.egov.usda.gov/CO/Snow/snow/watershed/daily/co_update_snow.pdf

Re: Headed to Colorado in late June, need advice [Re: bsc] #9980065 05/13/14 12:46 PM
H
Hawkpuppy 1 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
H
I would suggest anywhere between Creede and Lake City for everything you are looking for. Great waters all through there and cabins are available in both places to base out of.

Dave

Strip, strip....set
Re: Headed to Colorado in late June, need advice [Re: Robert Hunter] #9982230 05/14/14 12:17 AM
W
winchester44 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
W
Originally Posted By: robert hunter
You might really research elk creek if you can really dedicate your self to it and get to the third meadow(about 12 miles). You find real solitude wilderness and browns rainbows and cuttbows to 24 inches. Bear bags and bear spray a must up there. If you get your wife up there I would mind your p's&q's for the rest of your life that is a pack trip that you will never forget.

SHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! Well dag nam it. Secret is out now.

Just Kidding.

My wife made it to the first meadow, about 3 miles I think.

Re: Headed to Colorado in late June, need advice [Re: Fwt] #9982263 05/14/14 12:24 AM
W
winchester44 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
W
Originally Posted By: Fwt
I'd plan my trip based on snow levels going forward. Yes, the Conejos is nice but the snow pack is below 40%. Things could be skinny when you're there. If you're willing to hike, you can find fish in any drainage in the state. Good luck w/ it!

ftp://ftp-fc.sc.egov.usda.gov/CO/Snow/snow/watershed/daily/co_update_snow.pdf

Everyone I've talked to up there said it's going to be a late season by 10-15 days. It's been a cold spring. Combined with a low snow pack that could make thinks pretty skinny or you could have a big spike. I'm headed to Gunnison right at the end of June and we think we might very well miss the stonefly hatch according to the people we are talking to.
violin

Last edited by winchester44; 05/14/14 12:25 AM.
Re: Headed to Colorado in late June, need advice [Re: bsc] #9983788 05/14/14 02:04 PM
G
Golfer Jeff Offline
Angler
Angler
G
Winchester - the Caddis are late on the Arkansas... head over the mountain and hit them. They had a blizzard hatch one day, then a snow blizzard the next. weird weather patterns. Snowpack in Arki drainage is 100%

Last edited by Golfer Jeff; 05/14/14 02:05 PM.
Re: Headed to Colorado in late June, need advice [Re: bsc] #9986504 05/15/14 01:15 PM
K
kodys'papa Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
Elk creek is an awesome place. Our house was less than a mile from the campground. Great trails, beautiful scenery and not too crowded.
Late june will be early for the conejos, but the creeks should be a lot of fun...
Ofishially jealous. We are headed up late september for leaf peeping and fishing

Hooking a fish is like playing string with a cat. The exact size, shape, color of string matters less than how you wiggle it- and little cats are easier to fool than big ones. John Gierach
Re: Headed to Colorado in late June, need advice [Re: bsc] #10002754 05/21/14 11:20 PM
D
derik d Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
D
I always prefer the Black Canyon, bar none, when in S.Colorado. Make sure to stock up on munchies.

It's more than the catfish would do.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide