Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: How big could a catfish get? [Re: SlimyHands] #9918043 04/18/14 03:43 PM
D
dmunsie Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Gene pool genetics is also vital. The Mississippi is a good example. Old records seem to indicate fish approaching 300lbs (blues), but they say the gene pool for those fish are long gone. Here in Texas I would feel pretty confident saying there's a decent chance a 200lb blue or flattie is "out there" somewhere. wink

Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: How big could a catfish get? [Re: SlimyHands] #9918065 04/18/14 03:56 PM
S
SlimyHands Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Nice! Love the pics, and the other thread was very entertaining.

Re: How big could a catfish get? [Re: DAMFISHERMAN] #9918126 04/18/14 04:20 PM
S
soggybottom Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: DAMFISHERMAN
Originally Posted By: Poormanscat
I'd pay a diver good money to go to the bottom of Lake O the Pines with a go-pro or some other underwater camera and take actual picture evidence!
Been hearing the "my brothers dads best friend used to dive for the ______ county sheriffs dept and said there were catfish as big as a car down near the dam of Pines."
With all the modern technology, show me proof!
grin

how much more proof do people need?

pledge= fishstick
Re: How big could a catfish get? [Re: SlimyHands] #9918725 04/18/14 10:03 PM
S
snowyriver6 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
in thailand they caught one that was over 600 lbs

Re: How big could a catfish get? [Re: fishortalk] #9919006 04/19/14 12:41 AM
P
Poormanscat Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
Originally Posted By: fishortalk
Originally Posted By: DAMFISHERMAN™
Originally Posted By: Poormanscat
I'd pay a diver good money to go to the bottom of Lake O the Pines with a go-pro or some other underwater camera and take actual picture evidence!
Been hearing the "my brothers dads best friend used to dive for the ______ county sheriffs dept and said there were catfish as big as a car down near the dam of Pines."
With all the modern technology, show me proof!
grin

Poormanscat: I believe you need to send a check to damfisherman. And I am absolutely positive he used modern technology to get that picture.

hahaha... yep!, wonder if he will accept Obamacare payments?

Re: How big could a catfish get? [Re: SlimyHands] #9919027 04/19/14 12:50 AM
P
Poormanscat Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
Pretty sure it was either a big cat or Loch Ness that I saw on my graph at Pines. Was running the creek channel that winds thru the stumps out across from Alley Creek. The creek has some 35+ ft. holes in it. the depth around the creek is about 20 ft.
They just aint interested in a #6 treble hook baited with a hotdog weenie soaked in koolaid and garlic! hahaha

Re: How big could a catfish get? [Re: SlimyHands] #9919556 04/19/14 04:31 AM
C
Chuck7700 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C

If you are fortunate enough to have a dam that you can fish, then you can catch some of the biggest catfish imaginable. The bottom of the dam where the water falls provides the perfect areas for the catfish to congregate, and if you know how you can easily reel them in.
The first thing you want to do is find a good vantage point to fish the dam. Ideally, you can set up in front of the dam either by sitting on rocks or other structures. If you can not fish there, then you can fish from the bank as well. Make sure you attach yourself to your vehicle.

The next thing you need is some heavy duty deep sea fishing rods and some 200 pound line. Braid line is preferred. Then rig up some BIG hooks and add a couple of weights to the line about 12 inches above the bait.

Now that you have your gear rigged, then you are ready to begin fishing for catfish. If you are fishing from in front of the dam, then cast as close to the wall of the dam as possible. This is ideal because the catfish sit there to get the food that falls over the dam.

You will need a 40 pound smelly, decaying pig and toss is out by the dam. Be sure to tie your self to a big boulder so the catfish won't pull in and eat you t

Fishing at a dam is one of the most rewarding types of fishing, both for the large fish and the wonderful ambiance that surrounds you. The pounding water and the natural beauty surrounding the dam are exhilarating. If you have never fished at a dam, you should try it out as soon as possible but not in your boat. The last one I holed up sank my boat!
Good luck catching a big one.

Last edited by Chuck7700; 04/19/14 04:51 AM.
Re: How big could a catfish get? [Re: SlimyHands] #9919577 04/19/14 05:00 AM
C
Chuck7700 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C

Awhile back, I wrote an article about evidence of the existence of monster catfish at Bagnell Dam on the Lake of the Ozarks. Im including most of that article at the end to incorporate all of the info in one spot. But, I have since found more evidence pointing towards this and wish to discuss it

After writing the other article, I had a conversation with my mom about it ~ she has been nearly a lifelong resident of Missouri and used to live at the Lake of the Ozarks. She told me about my dads fishing trip with his buddies where one of them hooked a REALLY big one on their line. It was so big, it started to pull the boat with the grown men and all their gear in it! She said that at first they were very shocked, but out of necessity, managed to cut the line and free themselves of the monster fish, big enough to pull the boat! My dad has since passed away, but I do believe this story since it goes along with the other evidence given by divers and residents of the Lake.

And here is a tidbit of the other article (well, maybe more than a tidbitit has all the important info)

Ive lived close to the Ozarks nearly my whole life and have heard tales of people seeing catfish as big as men while diving near Bagnell Dam, at the Lake of the Ozarks. I believe that this is entirely possible, in spite of others refuting the fact. Bagnell Dam was started in 1929 and completed in 1931 the largest artificial lake in the world at that time. Fed by the muddy Osage River, this manmade Missouri lake is just over 80 years old a lot of time for catfish to contentedly live and multiply.

Here is some interesting info I found from another source:

In more recent times, I have heard and read about divers and underwater welders who have quit their jobs to pursue different kinds of work. Allegedly, this has happened near Bagnell Dam at the Lake of the Ozarks . The divers claimed to have seen catfish the size of as some stories have itVolkswagons. Sometimes the fish have been described as being even larger than Volkswagons. Like most fish stories, this one might seem pretty hard to believe. At first anyway. Like Ive written before, nature can be very mysterious to us; we look out at a body of water and can only imagine whats underneath. Is it possible that catfish can grow so large that they could or would attempt to eat a human? Theres Some Big Fish in the Lake Ozarks by Wes Goff

We all continue to askIs this truecould there be a large bunch of them lurking in the depths of this old Missouri lake? Perhaps, time will tell.

Re: How big could a catfish get? [Re: Chuck7700] #9919735 04/19/14 11:30 AM
F
fishortalk Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
Originally Posted By: Chuck7700

If you are fortunate enough to have a dam that you can fish, then you can catch some of the biggest catfish imaginable. The bottom of the dam where the water falls provides the perfect areas for the catfish to congregate, and if you know how you can easily reel them in.
The first thing you want to do is find a good vantage point to fish the dam. Ideally, you can set up in front of the dam either by sitting on rocks or other structures. If you can not fish there, then you can fish from the bank as well. Make sure you attach yourself to your vehicle.

The next thing you need is some heavy duty deep sea fishing rods and some 200 pound line. Braid line is preferred. Then rig up some BIG hooks and add a couple of weights to the line about 12 inches above the bait.

Now that you have your gear rigged, then you are ready to begin fishing for catfish. If you are fishing from in front of the dam, then cast as close to the wall of the dam as possible. This is ideal because the catfish sit there to get the food that falls over the dam.

You will need a 40 pound smelly, decaying pig and toss is out by the dam. Be sure to tie your self to a big boulder so the catfish won't pull in and eat you t

Fishing at a dam is one of the most rewarding types of fishing, both for the large fish and the wonderful ambiance that surrounds you. The pounding water and the natural beauty surrounding the dam are exhilarating. If you have never fished at a dam, you should try it out as soon as possible but not in your boat. The last one I holed up sank my boat!
Good luck catching a big one.

"Make sure you attach yourself to your vehicle." -[b] DO NOT LEAVE YOUR KEYS IN YOUR VEHICLE!! Same applies when using a "Bumper Dumper"

Last edited by fishortalk; 04/19/14 11:31 AM.
Re: How big could a catfish get? [Re: SlimyHands] #9923192 04/21/14 02:16 AM
D
Disarmer Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
Theoretically they could be hundreds and hundreds of pounds if left for long enough and with enough food. The water holds their weight so their body can just keep expanding. Realistically, there may be a 200lber out there in some lake in Texas.

Re: How big could a catfish get? [Re: SlimyHands] #9953214 05/02/14 10:19 AM
B
Bau5hunter Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
B
A lot of people are hesitant to believe triple digit catfish in the 200s and 300s exist. I have seen guys noodle 50lb flatheads out of 6ft of water in Lake Palestine, and I am sure that Lake Palestine is not the only location where this is permissible. With that said, if the conditions and variables are correct, and a cat has a near perfect environment, IS NOT THREATENED BY FISHERMEN... I say that in all caps because really, here in Texas everyone and their dog and cousin Bubba go out and fish for anything big enough to swallow a hook.

If these unrealistic conditions existed, I can not fathom how it would be impossible for a blue or flathead to not approach 200lbs. The main reason you don't see them close to this range is because of the predator that leaves little chance for this to happen.... Man. smile

Re: How big could a catfish get? [Re: SlimyHands] #9954354 05/02/14 06:58 PM
P
pixelfish85 Offline
Angler
Angler
P
I haven't seen catfish the size of cars, but I have been bitten by a large catfish on Lake Travis while scuba diving. Same over at Possum Kingdom. For added safety you should never feed fish hotdogs with exposed thumbs.

Re: How big could a catfish get? [Re: SlimyHands] #9956374 05/03/14 06:33 PM
S
Samuel Ragle Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Anyone mention the myth of the big cats at Tawakoni spillway? smile

LMB. 8.5 Fork PB
www.brcarpetcleaning.com
Reasonable rates and great results! 100% family owned
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread