Print Thread
Texoma 4/5 - striper sighting #9885324 04/06/14 03:33 AM
M
MtnDew Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
M
I am calling this a sighting not a report, because I only saw other boats with stripers today. We couldn't get one into our boat.

I did have a few strikes, one hook up, but lost it fumbling with trolling motor and rod. Father had a few good strikes, and lost bait to something. I did get a drum netted on an alabama rig full of sassy shads, being trolled at 1.5 mph in Buncombe.

Started the morning at Buncombe creek park ramp. Joined the 4-7 boats circling the whole cove , trolling around and around, but nothing. I didn't see anyone land a fish. Took a break to run the new motor and get more break in time on her. Made our way down to Mill Creek. Chris was there and he said hello and told us to get in line for the community drift by the island cut. I saw them catch stripers there. Chris confirmed the fish in Buncombe were not cooperating today.

Worked the shore line west and nothing, so ran over to the White House on the west side of Big Mineral. I swear I marked solid fish on the side scan close to shore in 15'. The wind had picked up and the rollers were to much for the little boat. I couldn't cast and control the boat safely, so fired up the motor and ran back toward Buncombe.

Honest Chris , we were not following you. I was planning to work the west bank at the mouth of Buncombe, your boat just goes faster than mine. Lucky for me Chris is a great guy, even though we got a little to close, but the wind was still howling. Again I saw Chris's boat catching fish. Chris was nice enough to let us know that they were hitting flukes and not sassy shads this time. Just as we got lined up and re-rigged the sky opened up with ice like rain.

Fortunately, I had enough break time, that we could use up to 5 mins of WOT smile .. Fully loaded with 2 people we hit 20mph, could have maybe gotten more, if trimmed better and kept her wide open. Old motor only hit 20mph, going downwind by myself and perfectly skipping over the waves.

Of course once I got the boat on the trailer it stopped raining.

When I got home, I was surprised that my trolling/starting battery showed 94% charged. I used the trolling motor alot, and expected it to be down more than that. The new motor puts out up to 10amps, but I didn't think it would make this much of a difference. So needless to say I am still super thrilled with my new 20HP electric start motor.

-rob

Re: Texoma 4/5 - striper sighting [Re: MtnDew] #9885338 04/06/14 03:40 AM
D
DU SOUTH5 Offline
Angler
Angler
D
Good report.

Re: Texoma 4/5 - striper sighting [Re: MtnDew] #9886028 04/06/14 03:26 PM
M
MagicWand Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
I enjoyed your report. I felt like I was in the boat with you Rob. Glad your boat is running as you like.

One thing about Chris Carey, he thinks like a fish!

If Sassy's aren't doing it then Chris will change lures 10 times and move 10 more times to find out what and where they will bite. Count on it!

MagicWand - Let's go Striper fishing on Lake Texoma!!

"The finest gift you can give to any fisherman is to put a good fish back in the water, and who knows if the fish that you just caught isn't someone else's gift to you?" Lee Wulff, famous fly fisherman
Re: Texoma 4/5 - striper sighting [Re: MagicWand] #9886871 04/06/14 09:49 PM
C
chrisc/striper express guide service Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
rob no worries and thx for the kind words dave!

Lake Texoma Striper Guide Chris Carey

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide