Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: High end rods [Re: West Texas FX] #9875654 04/02/14 01:49 PM
Amac88 Offline
Angler
Angler
Give Powell Rods a look. They make 5 different series ranging from $70-$350. ALL their rods are exceptional for the price. Very light and sensitive and make great blanks. They offer quite a few technique specific rods as well, you can find a rod for anything technique you want. Click on the link below and check em out. Best of luck in your search.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: High end rods [Re: Chris G] #9876134 04/02/14 04:18 PM
DustyHartOutdoors Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: Chris G
I went thru this exact same scenario when I started bass fishing about 8 years ago. I asked the same type of questions and got various responses. At the time I didn't know much about rods, what made one blank better than another, etc so I went on "feel" combined with some things I picked up from some other people.

I would start by looking at weight as someone posted earlier. The lighter the better.
Then look at sensitivity. This is very hard to figure out just holding a rod in the store.
Then I would look at balance. To me this is one of the most important things.
Then look at action. My preference is fast or extra fast action which simply refers to how the rod bends.
Then lastly look at rod strength or power based on what your favorite type of fishing is. Most guys don't jump in and buy 5 new rods they buy 1 or 2 to get started.

To summarize, start with deciding what techniques are your favorite then go look at rods that would be a good set up for those and start looking at all the items listed above. If you want to send me a PM with some specific questions I can try to help as best I can. I have owned All Star, Castaway, Falcons, Ducketts, G-Loomis and Dobyns so can only speak to my experience with those.

Good answer!

Years ago I asked the same question to KVD (he was at BPS in Grapevine for something) his answer was look at the guides first. He said the more guides on a rod typically meant better quality, then he said feel for balance. He said to take a reel and a weight with you when looking for a new rod (simulate the weight that will be used most with the rod) then ask the store to help you (let you) set the rods up until you find one that fits you.

Re: High end rods [Re: West Texas FX] #9876274 04/02/14 04:59 PM
C
coachmatt Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Good sensitivity, plenty of backbone to get the out of the cover, light weight, and something you can afford.

Re: High end rods [Re: West Texas FX] #9876329 04/02/14 05:24 PM
B
B.Estes Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
What Chris G. said!

Personally for me, the most important two things are weight and sensitivity......hands down.
Any of the higher priced rods are generally constructed well.
Quality blanks, guides, reel seats, etc.
I also have no loyalty to one brand. Look on my deck and you will see a very diverse group of rods.
For example, I have a Duckett that throws nothing but jigs, a G Loomis for Shakey Heads, Shimano for worm, Falcon for Carolina rig, Constrictor for crankbaits, and others like All-Stars, Berkleys, Carrot Stix, St.Croix, and other fairly inexpensive rods. I think I may still have an old Skyline laying around.(anyone whose been fishing for a while from the Ft. Worth area, may know about these rods.)
Good luck on your search, and try to fish with as many as possible.
That's the best way to figure out what you will like.

Re: High end rods [Re: West Texas FX] #9876595 04/02/14 07:06 PM
The Fishing Physicist Offline
YOLO
YOLO
I'm a MAJOR fan of St. Croix rods. They're design by St. Croix in Park Falls, Wisconsin USA. Very many of their rod lines a made with blanks that are manufactured in Park Falls as well. I know for a fact that the Avid series blanks are made in Park Falls, and Avid series rods are also assembled in Park Falls. This hold true for all their Legend series of rods.

Falcon is a good company as well. They make a rod call the Outtasight that is the best rod for 'Trap type' lures in the 1/2 ounce to 1 ounce range that I've ever used. Just a great rod. BTW, the Outtasight is a part of the LowRider rod series.

Just about every other rod I fish with is a St. Croix Avid, or one of the St. Croix Legend series rods. I have four of the original Legend Elite series rods. They are fantastic rods. I also have a couple of the original production run Legend Tournament Bass Series casting rods. These are excellent as well.

The nice think about St. Croix's Avid series is that there are so many rod designs to chose from. I consider Avids to be the best rods per $ out there.

TFP

Above all else hold these two things in the greatest of circumspection; government and self.

YOLO=Schiefspiegler
Re: High end rods [Re: West Texas FX] #9876619 04/02/14 07:14 PM
W
WTXHooker Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
W
Powertackle..

Re: High end rods [Re: Mark Perry] #9876630 04/02/14 07:20 PM
D
Douglas J Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted By: Mark Perry
Start by "stairstepping". What I mean is if you had $50 rods in the past buy a $100 rod and see if the hype is worth it to you. If so then buy a $150 and so on until you hit the $300 mark or so. Past that I am out. If you fish enough to justify and appreciate the higher end stuff then go for it. That being said NEVER feel like you can't catch fish on cheaper stuff. Its all about what you want and expect. I use primarily all Megabass Orochi XX rods and that is as high end as I need to go for what I do.

Solid advice

#MFGA
Re: High end rods [Re: West Texas FX] #9880040 04/03/14 09:38 PM
J
John-Mark Offline
Angler
Angler
J
Or you find a guy to custom build you rods for you like I do.. I decide what I wanna spend on the quality of blank first, Then I decide what kind of fishing I am gonna be doing with the rod... T rig, Jig Rod.. so on....then I can do whatever I want from there... eyes to handle.. made just for me for exactly what I want.. even eyes wrapped in the color I want...All with the help and advice from a Rod maker that hand crafts that rod just for you... personally I would put my custom rods up against the 300+ rods any day and I got them for less... but thats just me and my preference... then again I don't need people seeing a logo on my rods so people know that I spent thousands ... I can look over in that guys boat and see he spent a TON on those high end RODS and know I spent half and got even better rods... plus they are custom built for me and if something goes wrong or I break something I can take it to my guy and pay to have it fixed in a jiffy...
but thats just me...

Re: High end rods [Re: West Texas FX] #9880072 04/03/14 09:51 PM
B
bigbass94 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
I always look for the quality, how sensitive the rod is, how light, will it match the reel I'm putting on it, etc...
There are a lot of good rods out there nowadays, but you can't go wrong with a G.Loomis, St. Croix, Dobyns, Duckett, or a Falcon.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." - Doug Larson
Re: High end rods [Re: West Texas FX] #9880156 04/03/14 10:28 PM
W
Will.i.am Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
W

I look at it like this if Edwin Evers can be one of the most consistent anglers in the world using BPS rods and reels ranging from 69.99 to 149.99 I think I will be ok using the low end equipment.

Re: High end rods [Re: West Texas FX] #9880821 04/04/14 01:52 AM
Big C Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Every bodies metric will be somewhat different. For me, it's light, sensitive and well balanced. Various levels of that are achieved at different price points. I tend to use high dollar rods but that purs absolutely no more fish in the live well than the cheaper version. KVD uses Quantuum, so anything is possible.

BIG C

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.

Sir Winston Churchill
Re: High end rods [Re: West Texas FX] #9881087 04/04/14 03:07 AM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
Balance trumps weight for me.

Re: High end rods [Re: Will.i.am] #9881089 04/04/14 03:08 AM
90 5.0 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: Will.i.am

I look at it like this if Edwin Evers can be one of the most consistent anglers in the world using BPS rods and reels ranging from 69.99 to 149.99 I think I will be ok using the low end equipment.

He also drives a nitro.

Most pros use what tff's turn their nose up at.

Use what ever is comfortable to you.

I cashed alot of checks with a Berkeley lightning rod and a 5500c, actually alot more than I have with loomis and premiers.

If you want a nice rod, buy one. But don't get caught up in the hype thinking you need one.

I did and it hasn't helped my fishing any

Re: High end rods [Re: West Texas FX] #9881676 04/04/14 01:30 PM
Der Vorsteher Online Shocked
TFF Guru
Online Shocked
TFF Guru
If you break any rods and need to get rid of them, let me know, I started making lamps out of them.

Team Wolfs
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide