Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: How close is too close? [Re: Bass & Breakfast] #9856336 03/26/14 04:32 PM
Huckleberry Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Crank up and do the same exact thing to him.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: How close is too close? [Re: Bass & Breakfast] #9856338 03/26/14 04:32 PM
ssmith Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
this kind of behavior wouldn't happen as much if folks said something while it was happening instead of waiting on the comfort of a keyboard.

Re: How close is too close? [Re: SkeeterRonnie] #9856344 03/26/14 04:34 PM
Jay Kendrick Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: SkeeterRonnie
depends on your mentality. if I can hit your boat with my lure, you are too close. If you are casting at the same thing I am, you are too close... otherwise... enjoy your day. I don't let people get in my head. I am not a pro, nor will I ever be, so it's all in fun. My job involves helping people in severe life/death trauma... this fishing stuff is just a minute fraction of what life has to offer.

Good post, Ronnie.

Re: How close is too close? [Re: Bass & Breakfast] #9856351 03/26/14 04:35 PM
Texascajun69 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I have followed chats on this website for many years and have always respected everyone else's opinions, but this is one time I cannot. Why do some of you think it is okay to break long standing fishing etiquette just because there is money involved or because someone is getting paid to do fish? I have known a lot of guides (good and bad) through my 40 years of bass fishing and the good ones know they have to follow the same rules of etiquette as everyone else. If I had been this guy I would have started my motor, idled about 3 feet along side the guides boat, told him and his clients what an a--hole i thought he was and shutdown about 10ft in front of him and started fishing again.

I totally respect a guide has to produce for his clients to get paid. On 3 different ocasions thru the years, I have had guides idle up within voice range and asked if I minded if they fished along with me. EVERYTIME I told them to go ahead and and pulled out of the area. The guides who did this showed waht ETIQUETTE and CLASS are.

John K Fontenot
Diapers and Politicians need to be changed often; and for the same reason.
Re: How close is too close? [Re: Bass & Breakfast] #9856360 03/26/14 04:39 PM
reeltexan Online Happy
TFF Celebrity
Online Happy
TFF Celebrity
Years ago, people rarely did these things while fishing. It was called courtesy.
Back then, you gave one another enough room to enjoy your day and IF you idled past another boat, it was as far away as you could get. Many times we would kill the outboard and troll back into the cove.

But....
Texas wasn't near as crowded back then. Today the earth contains over six billion souls. Many have moved here in the last twenty years. Many more are coming.
Lake Fork has always been crowded in the spring. It always will be.
You'll have to "live it" or "live with it" if you choose to fish there this time of year.

"..The pleasantist angling is to see the fish
Cut with her golden oars the silver stream,
And greedily devour the treacherous bait.
Bill Shakespeare

[Linked Image]
Re: How close is too close? [Re: reeltexan] #9856417 03/26/14 04:55 PM
Y
YankHardReelFast Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Y
Originally Posted By: reeltexan
Years ago, people rarely did these things while fishing. It was called courtesy.
Back then, you gave one another enough room to enjoy your day and IF you idled past another boat, it was as far away as you could get. Many times we would kill the outboard and troll back into the cove.

But....
Texas wasn't near as crowded back then. Today the earth contains over six billion souls. Many have moved here in the last twenty years. Many more are coming.
Lake Fork has always been crowded in the spring. It always will be.
You'll have to "live it" or "live with it" if you choose to fish there this time of year.

I agree with half of your post. There are many more folks in this old world than there has ever been. That goes for lakes as well.

The difference now is lack of courtesy because there is no fear of getting called out for your actions. 30 years ago, men were men. They spoke their mind and stood up. They didn't "just live with it."

Re: How close is too close? [Re: Bass & Breakfast] #9856439 03/26/14 05:01 PM
ScottA Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Coming within 15 yds of another angler is too close if there is room to pass. This is a lot like hitting into golfers, you just don't do it.

I would have fired up my engine and passed within 15 yds of the guide and fish ahead of him. How can he complain? Good for the goose, good for the gander. Tit for tat.

Perhaps the same treatment will teach etiquette. Tough lesson.

Re: How close is too close? [Re: Bass & Breakfast] #9856452 03/26/14 05:04 PM
Atta Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Doesn't matter. The guy said that he was Iin The cove alone and the guide came in. Would be different if there were 100 boats in there with them.

Guide had no reason to drive past someone fishing and stop to cut him off.

It happens on MLF and people on here a quick to jump there [censored]. Yet a fork guide does it and most people want to say it's ok and not blast them. Garbage!

Re: How close is too close? [Re: Bass & Breakfast] #9856502 03/26/14 05:16 PM
J
Jesse Cornell Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
J
Does he have the right to fish thwater, yes, do I agree with it. Definitely not!

Re: How close is too close? [Re: ssmith] #9856523 03/26/14 05:24 PM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
Originally Posted By: ssmith
this kind of behavior wouldn't happen as much if folks said something while it was happening instead of waiting on the comfort of a keyboard.

Best comment yet. I especially love the ones that are titled "To the guy in the whatever color boat of whatever brand" posts that get made on here. Its like a lot of people will not say a word when its happening. I don't get it.

Re: How close is too close? [Re: Bass & Breakfast] #9856529 03/26/14 05:27 PM
P
patriot07 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
P
Close is when you look over at your fishing buddy and say "I can't believe that tool just pulled up in front of us. Too close is when you're so mad that you feel the need to make an internet rant of it. Those distances are completely subjective to everyone.

Fishing Fork in the springtime, I don't particularly think that 60 yards is all that close. How does he even know if you're moving? I've tried to have etiquette and maintain 125-150 yards of clearance from guys before only to find out that they're just sitting in a single spot and I just wasted a bunch of time hoping to be a "nice guy". So especially if there's a particular spot that's a good one and the guy still hasn't fished it, I'll start on the other side of that spot and work back towards him. I'll guestimate his distance from it, add 20-30 yards and start that far away from the good spot. That way, he hits the spot first, I can start further away and we all still get to fish what we want. And I'm not wasting time if he's sitting still.

I had a guy run up and start fishing about 20 yards in front of me on Fork a month or so ago. Just move on. No reason to let it ruin your day. 60 yards is a decent bit of space on the most crowded lake in Texas during the most crowded time of the year.

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
- Soren Kierkegaard
Re: How close is too close? [Re: Mark Perry] #9856551 03/26/14 05:31 PM
Tiltman Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Mark Perry

Best comment yet. I especially love the ones that are titled "To the guy in the whatever color boat of whatever brand" posts that get made on here. Its like a lot of people will not say a word when its happening. I don't get it.

True, I hate this kind of thing. I try to just ask a person if they were there before me. If I look ahead of another boat even a 150 yards and I think thats where they are going I wont fish, its just not cool. I idled (which I hate to do) for 300 yards to get out of a creek so I didnt blow out a place a guy wanted to fish. I asked him "will you be fishing around this bridge?" he said yes so I idled out. Why anyone thinks that since they don't want to fish used water its ok to go in front of some one that got there first so they get the leftovers is beyond me plain and simple.

Re: How close is too close? [Re: Tiltman] #9856561 03/26/14 05:34 PM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
Originally Posted By: Tiltman

True, I hate this kind of thing. I try to just ask a person if they were there before me. If I look ahead of another boat even a 150 yards and I think thats where they are going I wont fish, its just not cool. I idled (which I hate to do) for 300 yards to get out of a creek so I didnt blow out a place a guy wanted to fish. I asked him "will you be fishing around this bridge?" he said yes so I idled out. Why anyone thinks that since they don't want to fish used water its ok to go in front of some one that got there first so they get the leftovers is beyond me plain and simple.

Simple communication on the water fixes most any issue like this. Not all that hard at all. The other thing that solves a lot of the crowding stuff is to limit time spent on community holes etc. Find some water off the beaten path and get away from the crowds.

Re: How close is too close? [Re: Mark Perry] #9856565 03/26/14 05:35 PM
P
patriot07 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
P
Simple communication on the water fixes most any issue like this. Not all that hard at all. The other thing that solves a lot of the crowding stuff is to limit time spent on community holes etc. Find some water off the beaten path and get away from the crowds.
Best post on this thread.

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
- Soren Kierkegaard
Re: How close is too close? [Re: Bass & Breakfast] #9856567 03/26/14 05:35 PM
J
J.P. Greeson Online Content
the janitor
Online Content
the janitor
J
I think on Fork during spawn, you are doing good if no one blows up your spot. 100 yards is probably unrealistic on the busiest bass lake in Texas.

The solution to any problem - work, love, money, whatever - is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide