Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: C'mon Guys!! [Re: ezgoing] #9344694 09/25/13 06:13 AM
S
Sacking n stacking Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Originally Posted By: ezgoing
Unfortunately any slip owner who has his boat on the lake for any period of time has had problems with damage resulting from those who fish the slips from their boats or theft of property left in the slip. (You can't take your prop with you but I have had a stainless steel prop stolen from my boat while it was in the slip.)

This sours dock and slip owners against those who fish this way. Joe Pool Marina has signs posted that you can not fish the slips unless you are that slip's owner. They are probably aware this can not be enforced but may feel it keeps some people from doing it and limits their liability if somebody gets hurt fishing the slips.

Yes, the slips are on public water. Yes, everybody has a right to fish public water. But everybody is liable if their boat wake causes any damage to another boat or lake property and everybody is liable when their fishing lure causes damage to any property in the slip area, including the boat.

A custom cover on a pontoon costs over $1000. A damaged fuel hose can cost several hundred if a boat shop replaces it for you.

My slip neighbor just paid $16,000 to have the gel coat redone on his 36' cabin cruiser. You can bet he does not like it when jigs or lures hit it.

I do not condone shooting at somebody for fishing your slip. I no longer condone shooting somebody for stealing from your boat or slip, nor running your trot lines and nets. A life is worth more than that to me today.

But I grew up on the Tennessee River and fished with my grandfather, who was a commercial fisherman at that time. He carried a rifle in his car and boat and would shoot anybody he caught damaging his property or stealing from his lines.

He would state his boat and lines feed his family so damage to his gear or stealing from his lines took food from his family. So they deserved to get shot. Many of the rivermen of that era felt that way. I would not be surprised if many did still felt that way.

I would take their picture if I saw them damaging my property, if I did not see them I would ask the slip owner across from me to check his cameras and provide me a picture of the boat(s) who were fishing the slip that night.

Since he has a $200,000 house boat docked there he has cameras covering the slips from all angles. He told me when I leased the slip one of his cameras covered my slip so I did not need to get a camera for the slip.

I would then use those pictures to file civil and criminal damage charges against whoever was responsible and had left the scene after committing the damage.

Criminal damage is "Recklessly defacing or damaging property of another person". Since it is well known that lures can damage the property of another person you are acting "recklessly" when you toss a lure into a slip containing a boat if it causes damage.

My slip is 36'. The first 6' is a deck, my pontoon is 20'. That leaves the rear 10' of my slip as open water.

I don't mind anybody fishing that last 10', as it is open water. I even have lights on it.

It does bother me when I find hooks, jigs or lures in the lines that I use to secure the boat to the slip. The rear of my pontoon has an exposed fuel line from the gas tank to the motor, a water line from my aerator pump to my live wells, a line from my rear transducer and various other electrical lines.

If people are hooking the tie lines from the rear of the pontoon to the deck then some are probably hitting the rear of my boat, where they could damage my aerator pump, my transducer, my fuel line or any of the electrical lines.

So your insistence on "shooting" your lures around my boat can cost me money in repairs and loss of use of my boat while it is being repaired.

If you feel my attitude is unreasonable, then I am sorry. But you are not the one paying for my damage. This became a sore point for me when somebody stole four fishing rods from the back of my boat in my slip in August this year.

Yes, I should have removed them from the boat. But it was late at night when I returned to the slip and I did not think anybody would steal four used rod and reels. But they were gone the next afternoon when I returned to clean the boat and put everything away.

As to tossing lures around boats in slips I can only state that if I started tossing lures at your boat while you were fishing the slips you would get upset, even through your boat is on public water and I have the right to fish the water where your boat is setting.

The key is treat everybody's property the way you want your property treated. If you don't want lures tossed around the water where your boat is at, then don't toss your lures around the boats in the slips.

Fish the ends of the slips. Fish the slips when the boats are absent. If the slip is longer than the boat then fish up to the boat. But don't toss or shoot your lures along the sides of the boat nor at the rear of the boat, as you can do damage you would not want done to your boat by somebody tossing lures at it.

End of rant. I will not post again in this thread, as those who act badly do not care whose property is damaged as a result of their actions as they exercise their "rights". At least they don't care until they get caught and sued, then they rant against lawsuit-happy slip owners.

But you can't tell anyone where they can and can't fish if there is water under your dock I will gladly flip my jig under it and catch a sea monster simply nothing you can do about it if you want to own the water and the dock then you should go buy a pond with a dock on it!

Last edited by Sacking n stacking; 09/25/13 06:15 AM.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: C'mon Guys!! [Re: Texas Husker] #9344728 09/25/13 09:14 AM
F
Fork-LegendV21 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Hopefully I will be building my dock up in little caney by next year... The only time I plan on leaving my boat in the stall is when I come in for lunch or take a #2! I wouldn't leave my boat and gear on the water unattended for very long. Most fishermen are real nice and wouldn't do anything... But there are always those idiots out there no matter where you go. Sorry for the damage to your property... I personally would not have a problem with people fishing around my dock or even getting a hung lure off the dock as long as they don't damage anything or steal something.

Re: C'mon Guys!! [Re: ezgoing] #9344772 09/25/13 10:15 AM
B
bassdude10 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted By: ezgoing

As to tossing lures around boats in slips I can only state that if I started tossing lures at your boat while you were fishing the slips you would get upset, even through your boat is on public water and I have the right to fish the water where your boat is setting.

The key is treat everybody's property the way you want your property treated. If you don't want lures tossed around the water where your boat is at, then don't toss your lures around the boats in the slips.

This is an idiotic analogy. What purpose would you have for casting lures at a moving boat? I could call the game warden on you for harassing a fisherman, although I would probably laugh it off and keep on fishing.

And those signs you mentioned earlier are for people walking the slips and fishing, not for boaters. Seems you would know that since you have researched the laws to see if you can sue fisherman.

And the funny thing is I don't give a carp if somebody fishes around my boat if I have it docked. Heck if a 3/8 ounce jig being pitched up next to it is going to damage it then there's no way I'm gonna trust that thing going 70 mph across the lake!

Re: C'mon Guys!! [Re: Daddyof2] #9345300 09/25/13 03:01 PM
S
Sparlin Offline
Angler
Angler
S
Originally Posted By: holt's dad
They should start a mid-day drama series with modern day DRAMA filled fisherMEN!!

HAHAHA! YUP!

�There is in fact a true law - namely, right reason - which is in accordance with nature, applies to all men, and is unchangeable and eternal.�

[image]http://m1284.photobucket.com/albumv...54_zps40dbb749.jpg.html?o=2&newest=1[image]
Re: C'mon Guys!! [Re: Texas Husker] #9345372 09/25/13 03:28 PM
Y
YankHardReelFast Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Y
Are y'all really grown men???????????

Do you understand it's wrong to damage someone's property? That is what this post is about. Do not damage other people's stuff. How hard is that to understand????

Who is stupid enough to argue that it's okay to damage another person's property??

Re: C'mon Guys!! [Re: Texas Husker] #9345397 09/25/13 03:36 PM
Daddyof2 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
You break my stuff...you buy my stuff. SIMPLE! I break your stuff, I buy your stuff...SIMPLE

Re: C'mon Guys!! [Re: Daddyof2] #9345455 09/25/13 03:58 PM
Y
YankHardReelFast Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Y
Originally Posted By: holt's dad
You break my stuff...you buy my stuff. SIMPLE! I break your stuff, I buy your stuff...SIMPLE

I bet someone is going to argue with you cuz "it wasn't my fault"!!!! LOL

Re: C'mon Guys!! [Re: Texas Husker] #9346045 09/25/13 06:59 PM
S
Sparlin Offline
Angler
Angler
S
So...if I've learned anything from this, it's to stay away from docks. :>)

�There is in fact a true law - namely, right reason - which is in accordance with nature, applies to all men, and is unchangeable and eternal.�

[image]http://m1284.photobucket.com/albumv...54_zps40dbb749.jpg.html?o=2&newest=1[image]
Re: C'mon Guys!! [Re: Texas Husker] #9346141 09/25/13 07:28 PM
C
Chuck N. Wind Offline
Angler
Angler
C
A lot of you people are WAY too high strung and serious. Good grief, its an internet fishing forum.

If Congress would take their job this seriously, our country might not be headed in the direction of North Korea. If people would take their responsibility as citizens this seriously, then Congress might get fixed.

Its this simple. Personal Responsibility and Integrity.

If you mess up someone's property, have integrity and contact them and offer to make it right. If you can't contact them, leave a note.

If your property got messed up and the offender is attempting to make it right, be polite and understanding that accidents happen.
That's why they're called accidents, and that's why there is such a thing as insurance. Acknowledge the fact that the person trying to make things right is a person of integrity, and appreciate that.

If you mess up someone's property and don't attempt to make it right, you are a coward. Period. This is comparable to being a low life thief. You scum bag trash won't be able to buy your way out of hell.

If you are a property owner and someone is attempting to make their accident right with you and you have a bad attitude and act a fool over it, then you are just as bad as the coward mentioned above. You deserve at the very least to be told to kiss A$$ and go back to hell where you came from.

Its that simple.

God does not charge time spent fishing against a man's allotted life span. - Indian Proverb
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide