Forums59
Topics1,039,368
Posts13,963,450
Members144,202
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13
Re: I hate to see this [Re: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish] #8754898 03/26/13 10:57 PM
C
catfishingterry Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Originally Posted By: tgravley aka stinkbait tom
Yep a legal jug shouldn't be messed with and I personally never would.
Now we need something else to argue about so I can get my last five posts!!!!
hung

IF IT AINT BLOWIN I AINT GOWIN
Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: I hate to see this [Re: big10] #8754949 03/26/13 11:08 PM
B
brownbagspecial Offline
Angler
Angler
B
Im sure we could find something to argue about lol

Re: I hate to see this [Re: big10] #8755644 03/27/13 01:48 AM
F
Fish ZoMbiE Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
fish will hit a bare hook under the right conditions. they will often snag themselves if the hook is sharp enough too. unattended lines are dangerous! i still jug and trot line on occasion but mainly rod fish. mark em if you have them. then pull em when they aren't being used. if you leave them unattended your asking for trouble IMO. once marked properly, your totally with in the law to leave them for a certain amount of days but your still asking for trouble. rod anglers hate getting snagged in them and loosing their lures & rigs like we hate it when someone cuts or runs our lines.

Re: I hate to see this [Re: big10] #8755683 03/27/13 01:56 AM
A
Anew Offline
Angler
Angler
A
When I was fishing this weekend from the bank someone had a jug that got away tangled in my line. I reeled it in and kept the 8 pound blue and the jug. It had nothing on it, name or anything. some circumstances are different like that but to run somebody's jug cause it has a dead fish when you don't know if its legal or not is wrong. it could be set out 30mins before and the hook was swallowed and killed it people need to learn to leave other peoples stuff alone I know if I ever catch anybody running anything of mine they will regret it, when I know what I have and do is legal.

Re: I hate to see this [Re: big10] #8756625 03/27/13 05:23 AM
C
Catfish-hunter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
I'm on the fence when it comes to jugs. If actively ran,can be a great fun and enjoyable. I no longer use them.Just me but I share the lakes with bassers,jet fleas,Wade fishermen,party boats.Last time I put some out at Medina Lake at dusk,I had 2 missing come morning and 2 on bank where someone snagged with a rod and took the fish off. I didn't know there was so many people that fished after dark out there,could be a hazzard driving a boat through them at night. Feel better for everyone if I just put a trotline out with kids. We don't keep many fish,party days are over.No friends.5lbs live weight makes a meal.Usually just keep 10lbs or so.Hard to get my 6yo totally interested in fishing with rods only.8yo likes to cast a lot and move spots,bass fisherman I'm afraid.I trotline just to keep them interested and see look on their faces when we got a few. Let them take turns with the dip net.Good stuff.If we ever went to a larger lake I'd consider throwing out some jugs while we fished.Nothing like a bouncing jug baited with large bait to get your blood going.

Re: I hate to see this [Re: Catfish-hunter] #8756755 03/27/13 11:11 AM
C
ChuChu1 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Originally Posted By: catfish-hunter
I'm on the fence when it comes to jugs. If actively ran,can be a great fun and enjoyable. I no longer use them.Just me but I share the lakes with bassers,jet fleas,Wade fishermen,party boats.Last time I put some out at Medina Lake at dusk,I had 2 missing come morning and 2 on bank where someone snagged with a rod and took the fish off. I didn't know there was so many people that fished after dark out there,could be a hazzard driving a boat through them at night. Feel better for everyone if I just put a trotline out with kids. We don't keep many fish,party days are over.No friends.5lbs live weight makes a meal.Usually just keep 10lbs or so.Hard to get my 6yo totally interested in fishing with rods only.8yo likes to cast a lot and move spots,bass fisherman I'm afraid.I trotline just to keep them interested and see look on their faces when we got a few. Let them take turns with the dip net.Good stuff.If we ever went to a larger lake I'd consider throwing out some jugs while we fished.Nothing like a bouncing jug baited with large bait to get your blood going.

That's what it's all about! Getting kids interested in fishing, not fighting over the little things. Expose them to fishing, but don't teach them to steal.

Snowflakes and entitled brats will be the doom of America!

Re: I hate to see this [Re: big10] #8756830 03/27/13 11:53 AM
C
ChuckP Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
My only issue with jugs and trots are that 99.9% are left unattended. You don't know what kind of a hazard they may be or what kind of trouble they can cause. You are not there monitoring so you don't know. If you are fishing, then you should be there tending your gear. I think it is irresponsible to throw a bunch of hooks and line in the water and walk away and assume everything will be fine.

I think when you leave the lake you should take all of your gear with you. That is my 2 cents.

American by birth, Texan by the grace of God

/
36 1/2 lb blue cat- - - - -1995 Baymaster

Re: I hate to see this [Re: ChuckP] #8757407 03/27/13 02:18 PM
R
redchevy Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: ChuckP
My only issue with jugs and trots are that 99.9% are left unattended. You don't know what kind of a hazard they may be or what kind of trouble they can cause. You are not there monitoring so you don't know. If you are fishing, then you should be there tending your gear. I think it is irresponsible to throw a bunch of hooks and line in the water and walk away and assume everything will be fine.

I think when you leave the lake you should take all of your gear with you. That is my 2 cents.

So you dont think you should be able to set a trotline and go back to your TT in the state park on the lake and sleep the night and check in the morning?

I guess not all lakes are the same, but the lake I fish most of the time is nothing but tree stumps, there aint nobody out ther buy a few white bassers and bowfisherman at night. Past that its catfish and aligators.

Re: I hate to see this [Re: big10] #8757557 03/27/13 02:54 PM
K
kodys'papa Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
I have four missing from two months ago... Set em out one afternoon, went back two hours later and they were gone...
We set em for a fish fry that weekend...
New circle hooks and staging
Guess someone wanted a free set up...

Hooking a fish is like playing string with a cat. The exact size, shape, color of string matters less than how you wiggle it- and little cats are easier to fool than big ones. John Gierach
Re: I hate to see this [Re: big10] #8758008 03/27/13 04:23 PM
L
lowew79 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
2 ?'s...

How much does a typical jug setup cost?

Does someone moving it or picking it up then putting it back mess it up or break it in some way I'm not aware of?

I realize cost is not the point, it's the principle of the thing. I am just curious

Politicians are like diapers, they both need to be changed often, and for the same reason - Unknown
Re: I hate to see this [Re: lowew79] #8758084 03/27/13 04:37 PM
R
redchevy Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: lowew79
2 ?'s...

How much does a typical jug setup cost?

Does someone moving it or picking it up then putting it back mess it up or break it in some way I'm not aware of?

I realize cost is not the point, it's the principle of the thing. I am just curious

My jugs probably cost less than $5.

How much does your house cost? If I pick the lock without hurting it and only walk around without taking anything and leave it how I found it how does that affect it? Yes, it is the principle, if it aint yours dont mess with it.

Re: I hate to see this [Re: big10] #8758388 03/27/13 05:48 PM
C
Catfish-hunter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Last week a buddy and I were talking about throw lines on the Brazos. Sure you got hooks,line,weights,gear tags,but the main thing is time. When I ran lines,we had 100 hooks or whatever legal for 3 people fishing.Didn't buy bait and my perch traps only gave silver dollar sized perch. We had to do a lot of running around hunting larger bait in creeks,and ponds. Then you finally get enough bait to run some and all the Dang perch are dead in the water trough when your finally ready to go fish.Go recatch some in traps and just settle and go fish. Then someone runs your lines for you.Smoke is coming out of my ears just thinking about it again.

Re: I hate to see this [Re: big10] #8758834 03/27/13 07:41 PM
Capt. Michael Littlejohn Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
If the water holds low, we are going to plan a "Clean Lake Tawakoni Day" which will consist of rounding up unmarked jugs and trashed trotlines in the stumps. I don't have a date together yet, but TP&W will be issuing some cool handouts for volunteers.

We pick up jugs and trashed trotlines weekly. It's a never ending battle over here. frown

Michael Littlejohn's Full-Time Lake Tawakoni Guide Service
www.tawakoniguideservice.com
Click HERE for Recent CATCH Photos!

Re: I hate to see this [Re: Capt. Michael Littlejohn] #8758861 03/27/13 07:47 PM
C
catfishingterry Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Originally Posted By: Salsa
If the water holds low, we are going to plan a "Clean Lake Tawakoni Day" which will consist of rounding up unmarked jugs and trashed trotlines in the stumps. I don't have a date together yet, but TP&W will be issuing some cool handouts for volunteers.

We pick up jugs and trashed trotlines weekly. It's a never ending battle over here. frown
good deal. Glad to see that.

IF IT AINT BLOWIN I AINT GOWIN
Re: I hate to see this [Re: ChuckP] #8759045 03/27/13 08:34 PM
J
j49 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Originally Posted By: ChuckP

I once heard that 99.9% of quoted statistics are made up on the spot.

J49

Last edited by j49; 03/27/13 08:35 PM.

good fishing
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide