Forums59
Topics1,039,820
Posts13,970,761
Members144,220
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: How important is the selection of a paddle when purchasing a yak?? [Re: WeaponOfBassDestruction] #8526020 01/31/13 03:28 PM
R
RoadBlock Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
I agree with neumie here. That's a pretty broad claim there, plus from the way it reads you e used a carlisle paddle for quite some time. So when was the last Tim you broke a fb or cf paddle on your short trips? Im not trying to start an argument here its just a broad statement does no good in a situation like thus when someone is asking advice. Its like someone asking if moving to Texas is worth it and someone who has only been to the panhandle saying no the whole place is flat and dusty. I can also attest that nuemie is not easy on a paddle, I've seen him use it as a push pole, to push off the vsnk and a stake out pole so his opinion on thus subject is worth listening to.

Re: How important is the selection of a paddle when purchasing a yak?? [Re: RoadBlock] #8526047 01/31/13 03:33 PM
Y
YakFishField Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Y
Originally Posted By: BassCowboy
Werner paddles are night and day in effectiveness and price. 250 on up. That's a lot for a paddle.

Just for the record, I have a Pescador 12' also and I just bought a Werner Skagit 240cm (fiberglass) for $129.99. They are not $250 and up, although the carbon ones do get that high.

Robert Field

www.yakfish.tv

Subscribe to my YouTube: www.youtube.com/YakFishField
Re: How important is the selection of a paddle when purchasing a yak?? [Re: WeaponOfBassDestruction] #8526196 01/31/13 04:03 PM
N
Neumie Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
N
I also recommend that angler not purchase an aluminum shafted paddle. With our excessive high temps in the summer and very cold winters cause the the metal to expand and contract quite a bit. This could eventually lead to the paddle blade (typically fiberglass/nylon at this price range) separating from the metal shaft. My first paddle was an aluminum shaft with fiberglass/nylon blade and I ended up having to re-epoxy both both blades due to separation. I blame it on the different material's expanding/contracting characteristics.

Here's a list of the most common paddles available with their specifications. I did not include aluminum shafted paddles and only included paddles that have short/wide blades. IF you're looking for a paddle that offers a lot of bang for the buck it's the Bending Branches Slice Hybrid.

Had to update this today.
Paddles designed for those who have a high angle stroke.

Last edited by Neumie; 01/31/13 10:35 PM.

"Water is life's matter and matrix, mother and medium. There is no life without water." -Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." - Heraclitus
Re: How important is the selection of a paddle when purchasing a yak?? [Re: YakFishField] #8526355 01/31/13 04:36 PM
M
mikepaddle Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
You cannot beat the Skagit, Werner's base paddle. It is one of the very best paddles available in the lower-middle entry level price range and is one of my personal favorites of any Werner. Due to their popularity we are regularly re-ordering to replenish our stock.

My first personal test experience with the Skagit was total amazement. I couldn't believe how powerful the paddle felt and how little resistance it seemed to require. (My personal mind reaction was that the power that I felt should be coming from a blade twice the size as well as a lot of resistance.) Last Summer, I used demo clients who had never paddled before as my "test subjects". I would equip them with a premium paddle (usually more expensive than the Skagit) for the start of our tour. Sometime into the tour, I would ask them to stop for a moment, trade to the the Skagit, and, say no more. Literally every one of my test subjects immediately commented on how much faster they were going with less effort.

Mariner Sails carries a full line of Werner Paddles (in both regular and small shaft sizes) along with other fine brands. I plan to bring our Werner demo paddles (Kalliste, Camano, & Skagit) to the White Rock demo on Saturday so you can confirm that they are well worth their value.

Originally Posted By: BankRobert
Originally Posted By: BassCowboy
Werner paddles are night and day in effectiveness and price. 250 on up. That's a lot for a paddle.

Just for the record, I have a Pescador 12' also and I just bought a Werner Skagit 240cm (fiberglass) for $129.99. They are not $250 and up, although the carbon ones do get that high.

Re: How important is the selection of a paddle when purchasing a yak?? [Re: Neumie] #8527062 01/31/13 07:25 PM
W
WeaponOfBassDestruction Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
W
Thanks for the info neumie...very helpful!!

Re: How important is the selection of a paddle when purchasing a yak?? [Re: WeaponOfBassDestruction] #8527099 01/31/13 07:41 PM
W
WeaponOfBassDestruction Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
W
Everyone has been a huge help!! Thank you all

Re: How important is the selection of a paddle when purchasing a yak?? [Re: Neumie] #8527107 01/31/13 07:44 PM
Y
YakFishField Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Y
Originally Posted By: Neumie
Here's a list of the most common paddles available with their specifications. I did not include aluminum shafted paddles and only included paddles that have short/wide blades. IF you're looking for a paddle that offers a lot of bang for the buck it's the Bending Branches Slice Hybrid.

Can I ask why you only included paddles with short/wide blades? I just bought the Werner Skagit, which isn't on your list. I've heard nothing but good things about it. Why exclude the longer, skinnier blades? Is there something wrong with going that route?

Robert Field

www.yakfish.tv

Re: How important is the selection of a paddle when purchasing a yak?? [Re: WeaponOfBassDestruction] #8527125 01/31/13 07:50 PM
butch sanders Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
mine was $75 at Bass Pro
seems to work fine for 5 years

Re: How important is the selection of a paddle when purchasing a yak?? [Re: butch sanders] #8527143 01/31/13 07:56 PM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Looking at that chart and those prices on the high end paddles, I'd have to invest in a trolling motor before I bought one of those. rolfmao

Just one more cast!

Re: How important is the selection of a paddle when purchasing a yak?? [Re: YakFishField] #8527183 01/31/13 08:07 PM
N
Neumie Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
N
Originally Posted By: BankRobert
Can I ask why you only included paddles with short/wide blades? I just bought the Werner Skagit, which isn't on your list. I've heard nothing but good things about it. Why exclude the longer, skinnier blades? Is there something wrong with going that route?

I made this list a few months ago out of boredom and curiosity. Since I prefer the shorter, wider blade designs from paddle makers that's why those types are just found on my list. I never thought I would post it up for everyone to see.

The Werener Skagit blade is very popular, there's nothing wrong with it. Like I said in one of my previous posts, blade shape is a personal choice.

"Water is life's matter and matrix, mother and medium. There is no life without water." -Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." - Heraclitus
Re: How important is the selection of a paddle when purchasing a yak?? [Re: WeaponOfBassDestruction] #8527315 01/31/13 08:38 PM
Y
YakFishField Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Y
I gotcha, that makes sense. It's my first paddle b so when I didn't see it listed it scared me, haha. Not trying to waste $130!

Thanks for the info.

Robert Field

www.yakfish.tv

Re: How important is the selection of a paddle when purchasing a yak?? [Re: WeaponOfBassDestruction] #8527706 01/31/13 09:58 PM
N
Neumie Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
N
Paddles designed for those who have a low angle stroke.

Last edited by Neumie; 01/31/13 10:34 PM.

Re: How important is the selection of a paddle when purchasing a yak?? [Re: WeaponOfBassDestruction] #8527884 01/31/13 10:27 PM
Y
YakFishField Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Y
thumb

Robert Field

www.yakfish.tv

Re: How important is the selection of a paddle when purchasing a yak?? [Re: WeaponOfBassDestruction] #8528724 02/01/13 01:27 AM
T
TG Canoes and Kayaks Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
It's all about the weight, folks. Here's some numbers real quick:

Marine Raider ~40oz ($25)
Bending Branches Whisper 37oz ($60)
Werner Skagit FG 34.5oz ($130)
AquaBound Eagle Ray FG 32.4oz ($140)
AquaBound Eagle Ray Carbon 30.25oz ($180)
Epic Active Touring Carbon 24oz ($449)

Now some math:

At 40 strokes a minute (a recreational stroke rate), each ounce is equal to 150 pounds per hour. If you use a Marine Raider paddle on a 4 hour trip, you will have lifted 24,000 lbs (150lbs x 4hrs x 40oz). By using an Epic paddle on the same trip (14,400 lbs lifted), you will have saved yourself from lifting 9600 lbs. That's a 40% energy savings. A lighter paddle will allow you to paddle farther, faster, and more efficiently, leaving you with more energy to fish, and less wear and tear on your shoulders.

Buy the lightest paddle your budget allows, you will never regret it.

As far as carbon fiber/graphite paddle durability is concerned, there need not be any worry. I've used an Epic Active Touring carbon for over 5 years on the San Marcos River with no ill effects. When used as a paddle and occasional push pole, carbon fiber is very strong and resistant to damage. The only care you must take is making sure you store it properly. Be careful not to step on it while loading/unloading or portaging, and be sure you load it on top of the gear pile. I've fixed many a carbon paddle that got a dropped cooler on them.

If they are damaged, they are actually easier to fix than plastic and aluminum. If aluminum gets dented or bent, it's structural integrity is forever compromised. Plastic blades can be fixed, but the material required to do so is heavy, resulting in an unbalanced paddle. Carbon can be easily fixed with very light layers of materials, resulting in a still relatively balanced paddle.

Do you need a $150 (or $250 or $450) paddle in a Pescador? Why not, especially if your plans ever involve upgrading your Pescador to a Cuda or Ride or Stealth in the future. There's no reason why you can't start saving energy and bodily wear and tear now in your budget boat while you save up for your dream boat.

Last edited by TG Canoes and Kayaks; 02/01/13 01:29 AM.

Free test drives, everyday!
Re: How important is the selection of a paddle when purchasing a yak?? [Re: WeaponOfBassDestruction] #8529339 02/01/13 03:31 AM
G
gotreal formerly known as getreal Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
G
alls im saying is my carlisle flew out the back of my truck turning a corner at 35mph. not a scratch on it when i retrieved it. a carbon paddle i would have been shi outta luck. to say a carbon paddle is more durable than a fiberglass glass paddle is highly stretching it. luv me some paddle wars though. i really dont see having a 400 dollar paddle over a 100 paddle. for 5 to 10 oz. difference. as said i dont paddle more than a mile or 2 to a spot. never been fatigued paddling with my carlisle. lift a few weights so maybe thats why. but anyhoo you guys must not be married. if i brought home a 475 dollar carbon paddle it would break across my head within a minute by my wife. yup

yup

if ye aint been skunked, ye aint been fishing! <<al einstene
IAMCOUNTRY
texas made lures. getcha some

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide