Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,039,916
Posts13,972,227
Members144,222
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Corps of Engineers Threatens Closure of Prime Fishing Areas #8279041 11/29/12 02:15 PM
F
Fishin Machine Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
F

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Corps of Engineers Threatens Closure of Prime Fishing Areas [Re: Fishin Machine] #8279050 11/29/12 02:17 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
that chick is decent for an older gal and that story is about Tennessee noidea

#MFGA
Re: Corps of Engineers Threatens Closure of Prime Fishing Areas [Re: Fishin Machine] #8279073 11/29/12 02:22 PM
F
Fishin Machine Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
F
It could happen anywhere

Re: Corps of Engineers Threatens Closure of Prime Fishing Areas [Re: Fishin Machine] #8279086 11/29/12 02:26 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted By: Fishin Machine
It could happen anywhere

and a meteorite could fall on your head, it "COULD" happen farmer

#MFGA
Re: Corps of Engineers Threatens Closure of Prime Fishing Areas [Re: Fishin Machine] #8279112 11/29/12 02:30 PM
B
BaylorBass Offline
Angler
Angler
B
In California the liberals have already had their way with some BS they got passed called the Marine Life Protection Act (MLPA). Along hundreds of miles of our coast and local islands they have shut down areas to fishing with "Marine Protection Areas" (MPA's). Some areas you are not even supposed to enter with a boat. Its ridiculous.
They had no science to back up and justify these closures, and I kid you not, they're a significant part of our coastline. The Department of Fish and Game has become more concerned with appeasing groups that have deep pockets (i.e. the wacko environmentalists) than the sportsmen their organization was created to manage.
I hope it doesn't come to that for yall.

Lake Travis Fishing Guide
www.fish512.com
Re: Corps of Engineers Threatens Closure of Prime Fishing Areas [Re: Fishin Machine] #8279585 11/29/12 04:51 PM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
I also read recently where they may try and protect the clear lake hitch in california's clear lake. If they get their way, it could impact bass fishing there because its a forage base for bass. Its extreme but its possible

Re: Corps of Engineers Threatens Closure of Prime Fishing Areas [Re: BaylorBass] #8279932 11/29/12 06:13 PM
G
GrassProShop Jim Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G
Originally Posted By: CAbaylor2014
In California the liberals have already had their way with some BS they got passed called the Marine Life Protection Act (MLPA). Along hundreds of miles of our coast and local islands they have shut down areas to fishing with "Marine Protection Areas" (MPA's). Some areas you are not even supposed to enter with a boat. Its ridiculous.
They had no science to back up and justify these closures, and I kid you not, they're a significant part of our coastline. The Department of Fish and Game has become more concerned with appeasing groups that have deep pockets (i.e. the wacko environmentalists) than the sportsmen their organization was created to manage.

Not wanting to start a political/personal issue here, but I find it interesting that "liberals/tree huggers/wacko environmentalists" somehow get lumped together and a very broad swipe with the paint brush.

I don't know of the specifics of which you speak here, but I for one am glad that SOMEONE pays SOME attention to our environment. If no one did, way more of our lakes and waterways might become polluted/endangered, etc.

Just my $.02 from the sidelines.

Jim

"Hoping to catch a double digit!"
Personal Best LMB - 8.35 pounds - Caught at Lake Picachos Mexico in 2020

Re: Corps of Engineers Threatens Closure of Prime Fishing Areas [Re: GrassProShop Jim] #8280165 11/29/12 07:15 PM
B
BaylorBass Offline
Angler
Angler
B
There is a big difference between managing our natural resources and simply outlawing people to even access them.

This fight has been going on for several years, unfortunately fishermen lost out and the environmentalists won and the MPA's were implemented about a year ago. Yes, tree hugger or wacko environmentalist may be a blanket term, but if you saw the people at the protests supporting the closures you would agree. PETA is a big supporter obviously... need I say more?

They wanted the areas shut down to sportsmen, without any regard to its impact on the economy. Recreational fishing as well as commercial fishing is a huge industry and was hit hard by this. Several boats at the landings have gone out of business, and several of my best GPS coords are now in areas shut down to fishing.

All I'm saying is it does not require outlawing fishing to manage a fishery and to protect the environment. You're a fisherman, I'm sure I don't need to tell you that those who are buying fishing licenses are some of the best stewards of our natural resources.

Lake Travis Fishing Guide
www.fish512.com
Re: Corps of Engineers Threatens Closure of Prime Fishing Areas [Re: GrassProShop Jim] #8280227 11/29/12 07:32 PM
A
a-mac Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
A
Originally Posted By: GrassProShop Jim

Not wanting to start a political/personal issue here, but I find it interesting that "liberals/tree huggers/wacko environmentalists" somehow get lumped together and a very broad swipe with the paint brush.

I don't know of the specifics of which you speak here, but I for one am glad that SOMEONE pays SOME attention to our environment. If no one did, way more of our lakes and waterways might become polluted/endangered, etc.

Jim

Thanks! As a fisheries biologist (by degree) and specialized in ecotoxicollogy, fisheries management, and behavioral ecology it is nice to not be lumped as a "tree hugger" for once. I've worked with Indiana and Oregon Fish & Wildlife but recently went back to school at TCU to pursue my master's in biology.

As for those that criticize those "tree huggers." Perhaps you should look at who the sportsmen are:
http://keepamericafishing.salsalabs.com/...t_item_KEY=8764

This is the results of a recent vote, which fails to pass the Sportsman's Act of 2012. By the way, Texas representatives voted "nay"

This provides some of the key points for the bill.
http://keepamericafishing.salsalabs.com/o/6394/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=4086

http://www.bigindianabass.com/big_indian...ct-of-2012.html

Re: Corps of Engineers Threatens Closure of Prime Fishing Areas [Re: a-mac] #8280442 11/29/12 08:22 PM
John175☮ Offline
MACHO MAN
MACHO MAN
Originally Posted By: a-mac
By the way, Texas representatives voted "nay"

Only Texas Democrat members and Ron Paul voted against it in the House.
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/votes/112-2012/h164

The Senate voted against their own version because of a silly Constitutional issue:

"the bill violates the Constitution because revenue-raising measures originate in the House."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/h...0ab3_story.html

“Do not pray for easier lives. Pray to be stronger men.†-JFK
Re: Corps of Engineers Threatens Closure of Prime Fishing Areas [Re: Fishin Machine] #8280659 11/29/12 09:10 PM
E
elkhartdom Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
E
started long long ago, look at Lake Tahoe, if your not grandfathered in, you are not allowed to have a two cycle engine on your boat on that lake. more and more of it will keep happening, just you watch

Last edited by elkhartdom; 11/29/12 09:11 PM.

at the sound of my name, fish tremble
HI HO SILVER AWAY!!!ranger Z521,250 sho,black and silver
TD: BMET 6263
http://theboatcentertx.com
bmoet@facebook
"I humble myself before God, there the list ends" Sam Houston
Re: Corps of Engineers Threatens Closure of Prime Fishing Areas [Re: GrassProShop Jim] #8281189 11/29/12 11:45 PM
W
woppercatcher Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
Originally Posted By: GrassProShop Jim

Jim

Ya, I love it that whenever something happens that someone doesn't like it's the liberals fault. And it's usuall uninformed conservatives that post that [censored]! If you get BassMaster magazine the December issue has a story about how in Virginia land owners sued and won a battle saying the river bottom is part of their property and now people can't fish on that part of the river. State didn't even try and fight it! So yes this can happen and it's not just because of liberals! We all think we have some kind of right to fish,hunt or use what we believe is public land well there are just as many people who feel they have a right to do what they want with public land as well. Recently in Kentucky they passed an amendment to their state constitution that said everybody had the right to hunt and fish on public land for reasons just as this. That's all well and good but if there are no fish or game than that right is worthless that's why groups work to protect fish and wildlife. Also, most fish and game departments have no say on public land and or it's uses so if your concerned you need to contact your so called representative in Washington or your state representative. And lastly, our public land is being reduced not by liberals but by progress and greed in most cases.

Re: Corps of Engineers Threatens Closure of Prime Fishing Areas [Re: Fishin Machine] #8281500 11/30/12 01:11 AM
E
elkhartdom Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
E
popcorn2

at the sound of my name, fish tremble
HI HO SILVER AWAY!!!ranger Z521,250 sho,black and silver
TD: BMET 6263
http://theboatcentertx.com
bmoet@facebook
"I humble myself before God, there the list ends" Sam Houston