Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Shad theory [Re: gborg] #7906626 08/22/12 01:03 AM
Kerry Dugan Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: gborg
Tawakoni is a shad factory and produces tons of fish near the dam when water is being released. The natural current brings stripers and hybrids there by the hundreds.

It was just a theory, but I will tell you that when water is being released on Benbrook or EM, the fish are not stacked up anywhere that I have found. Maybe I haven't looked in the right place after runni g the whole lake. grin

Reel Thrill’s Guide Service
Hybrid Striped Bass
White Bass
Richland Chambers Lake
469-891-1323
Re: Shad theory [Re: sandjohnny] #7908057 08/22/12 11:19 AM
Atta Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Em and bb can fit inside Twok lol. Both are much smaller lakes so it does effect the fishin imo. Also, what temps aren't as high as last year at this time. Lavon was acres of schooling fish last summer this year u get top water for 2 mins. They stack up but sometimes only school for 2 mins.

I would agree with the water release effecting the fishing. Would also go with water temps.

Re: Shad theory [Re: sandjohnny] #7908499 08/22/12 02:00 PM
L
LipRip Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
I think Eagle Mountain has a combination of things going on this summer that has had an effect on fishing. There has been a lot of fluctuation in the water levels, (water in and water being let out), we have had extreme heat with high barometric pressure readings for most of the summer. I have compared the pressure readings from this summer to last summer and have noticed that the pressure was much higher during the same months this summer over last. I add those things along with the shad population blowing up and I feel pretty lucky to have scraped up the fish I have been able to this summer. I don't think it is any one thing. Just my two cents.

Todd Mehalko
TNT North Texas Guide Service
Eagle Mountain, Lewisville and Grapevine Lakes
www.facebook.com/tntguideservice
817-800-8184

"Everybody is a genius. If you judge a fish by his ability to climb a tree, he will live his whole life thinking that he is stupid." A.E.
Re: Shad theory [Re: sandjohnny] #7909147 08/22/12 04:57 PM
Dennis Christian Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Johnny, as you know, every year at this time white bass fishing slows. It's really slow right now at Cedar Creek. I haven't caught a limit of whites in the last hlaf dozen trips out. Caught 21 whites and 3 legal hybrids by myself yesterday, and that's about the best I've done lately. Re your theory, I still think it's the smaller shad in the lake that fish are feeding on - smaller than out smallest slabs and spinners. You can catch fish if you keep moving around to find fish feeding on the older, larger shad, but most of the fish are now onto the smaller shad. So, catches are smaller now. Fishing picks back up in the fall, I believe, because the new shad have grown large enough to be emulated by our lures.

Re: Shad theory [Re: sandjohnny] #7910374 08/22/12 09:59 PM
S
sandjohnny Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
S
I want to thank everyone who commented on this post. It has been interesting to read other peoples comments. To clerfy what is happening on EM these past two months.We have had a few days where fish do the normal surface for an hour or so and then you can go find them on the bottom still schooled up. The problem has been this has been seldom has opposed to nearly every day.We have been able to catch fish but it is what I call picking them to death. Find a little mark catch one maybe two move to the next little mark no schools. You had better be proficient with your depth finder or you won't find them. Saturday was a typical day find a fish or 2 move 50 yards and other one or two.Caught 30 in a little over an hour doing this. No grouped up fish.
I would even like to thank the people who offered to teach me how to catch sandbass . I always want to learn it just wasn't my purpose of this post. I do get a kick out of people who have fished in what we call hero time and they have a handle and feel like they can hammer them any time. It is like I tell my fishing buddies if you have not not had to eat humble pie when it comes to sandbass fishing you have not fished for them long enough or you are a liar or both LOL.
A lot of buddies say I have the bar set to high but we averaged maybe half what we average in a normal summer.
From the comments it sound like a lot of things contributed to this summer the shad the constant letting out of water since late spring.
Again thanks to every one who commented.
Johnny

http://www.johnnysguideservice.com 8174441286 or 8175976598
Creator of OLE UGLY SLABS johnlu1313@gmail.com
[Linked Image]
OLE UGLY SLABS GO TO www.johnnysguideservice.com
Fish with the Guy who invented the OLE UGLY slab
Re: Shad theory [Re: sandjohnny] #7910535 08/22/12 10:46 PM
1tex Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Johhny,you have forgotten more about sandbassin then I know,especially on EM lol!I have fished Benbrook for over 35 years tho and I agree with Kerry.When they are letting water out the fish seem to shut down.It doesnt seem to effect the crappie or catfish as much tho.
David

Re: Shad theory [Re: sandjohnny] #7911829 08/23/12 03:11 AM
D
DEERSTRANGLER� Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
D
Too many shad is right on. This time last year it was 4" gizzards in the normal places to catch bait. Now it's 5-6" thread fins and 8+" gizzards. I did a little experiment yesterday after I hit the lake. I stopped a 10 different random places in wide open water and threw the net. 10 places and 10 throws and each spot had 7-15 good baits in the net. Depth was anywhere from 4.5' to 30' of water. Most of y'all know I catfish a little. We did catch one of the gifts from Bridgeport while drifting. Was about 3-3.5lbs.

Re: Shad theory [Re: sandjohnny] #7912423 08/23/12 11:29 AM
S
sandjohnny Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
S
If we get enough hybrids maybe I will catch a big one along with my customers.
Johnny

[Linked Image]
Re: Shad theory [Re: sandjohnny] #7913085 08/23/12 03:15 PM
E
Eagle Mountain Guide - David Everitt Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
E
Interesting theory and read. EM has always been loaded with bait. Some years more than others. We had a shad kill in early 2010. Surface temps as low as 15 degrees in January. Normal for summer to be poor on EM. Fish are moving fast after dissolved oxygen and not so much feeding as thermocline sets in. Topwater gets halfway predictable first week in July. Last summer was better because the pipeline was running from RC. This depleted or lowered the thermocline on the south end. Thus, our deep water humps produced like spring and fall. Contrary to other reports, the pipeline was running spring thru fall. Not continually but, enough to make a difference. I know because I fished it. Lots of theories in fishing. We want to know why and how come? To prove the theories, we would have to swim with the fishes and I don't care to do that. Too much bait is a good theory. Also, a great argument to stock open water predators such as HYBRIDS to balance the fishery. Tp&w stocks fish in our lakes to eat the bait and balance the fishery. Fishermen are not first on the list. Nuff said. Good read fellas. Tight lines.

David
www.davesguideservice.net

Re: Shad theory [Re: sandjohnny] #7913510 08/23/12 05:05 PM
BlueNitro Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Good information and agree with all (well most of) your thoughts on the subject. You guys are the expert fisherman and I appreciate your input. Helps us guys that just enjoy to fish.

"Pitt.... You mention shad aren't full of nutrients. Can you elaborate?" - I heard that from him a bunch of times so I talked to a fish biologist who started laughing. He told me that shad are their primary forage and they are nutrionally sound for all types of fish. I guess that is why they eat them then but I'm no "expert".

LiftSaver Trolling Motor Mounting Bracket - Patent Pending and LiftSaver Transducer Pole Mount
www.liftsavertmmount.com
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Works with MG Xi5, Xi3 and MK Terrova, Ulterra, PD V2 and Riptides as well.

Re: Shad theory [Re: BlueNitro] #7914052 08/23/12 06:57 PM
L
LipRip Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
[quote=BlueNitro]
"Pitt.... You mention shad aren't full of nutrients. Can you elaborate?" - I heard that from him a bunch of times so I talked to a fish biologist who started laughing. He told me that shad are their primary forage and they are nutrionally sound for all types of fish. I guess that is why they eat them then but I'm no "expert".

Ron, I have heard the same information over the years but like you I am no biologist. Lol
I think what they mean is that they have poor nutritional content compared to other forage that may be available like crayfish or perch or trout for that matter. Maybe shad are just more available,but again like you, I am no expert. Maybe someone who is will chime in?

Todd Mehalko
TNT North Texas Guide Service
Eagle Mountain, Lewisville and Grapevine Lakes
www.facebook.com/tntguideservice
817-800-8184

"Everybody is a genius. If you judge a fish by his ability to climb a tree, he will live his whole life thinking that he is stupid." A.E.
Re: Shad theory [Re: sandjohnny] #7914270 08/23/12 07:43 PM
S
sandjohnny Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
S
I was not here last summer David I just listening to other people on the fishing I got back at the 1st of Sept and I never did catch the pipe line on until the lake patrol told me they were going to start pumpimg at some date in Oct and they did so I did not know they had it on earlier than that.The info I got was they would start every year in the fall and pump til June the 1st if no rain and then that would be it for the pumping for the year. That has been the case this year no pumping all summer. But we get all kinds of info. But I do know they haven't pumped any this summer. In fact they have been letting it out since May. But that sure could be why it was so much better last year. I did not know we had shad kill I thought we should but clint(game Warden) said there was no sign and I never did see and was catfishing a lot in the winter of 2010 and doing a lot of cast netting. But I do know we got more shad than I have ever seen . We have had at least 4 spawns this year and I know we normally get a big one in the fall. It is sure interesting to get other peoples perspective on what is going on.
Johnny
http://www.johnnysguideservice.com/

Last edited by sandjohnny; 08/23/12 08:05 PM.

[Linked Image]
Re: Shad theory [Re: sandjohnny] #7917682 08/24/12 04:53 PM
BlueNitro Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: sandjohnny
I would even like to thank the people who offered to teach me how to catch sandbass . I always want to learn it just wasn't my purpose of this post. I do get a kick out of people who have fished in what we call hero time and they have a handle and feel like they can hammer them any time. It is like I tell my fishing buddies if you have not not had to eat humble pie when it comes to sandbass fishing you have not fished for them long enough or you are a liar or both LOL.

rolfmao clap rolfmao clap rolfmao clap rolfmao clap rolfmao

LiftSaver Trolling Motor Mounting Bracket - Patent Pending and LiftSaver Transducer Pole Mount
www.liftsavertmmount.com
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Works with MG Xi5, Xi3 and MK Terrova, Ulterra, PD V2 and Riptides as well.

Re: Shad theory [Re: sandjohnny] #7917764 08/24/12 05:16 PM
S
Scott Smith Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
I have fished lakes that were just full of shad but the hybrids were very hard to catch. I've also been on lakes where the shad population was low and still had a hard time catching fish. I really don't think it had anything to do with the amount of shad, but the quality of water they were swimming in.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide