Forums59
Topics1,039,791
Posts13,970,364
Members144,217
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Need Falcon Lake Fishing Resort Recommendations [Re: Set That Hook] #7872465 08/13/12 12:21 AM
S
Set That Hook Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
txwhitetail,

Have Gun, Will Travel - Paladin

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Need Falcon Lake Fishing Resort Recommendations [Re: Set That Hook] #7872574 08/13/12 12:45 AM
S
Set That Hook Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
WTN, my fishing buddy and I have birthdays in March, so Im looking at that month next year to make the trip, but can adjust based on best recommendations for an opportunity to boat a bass of a lifetime.

A 10+ would do the trick, however, shoulder-to-shoulder fishing with 100k other boats doesnt sound like fun when I can catch quality bass on local DFW lakes that time of year. We want to make the trip down to Falcon at the right time for the right reasons.

Holiday Inn Express and Sunbridge hotels are the two motels mentioned so far, anyone else have lodging recommendations?

I gather from previous posts that dining and local entertainment options are limited in the Zapata area?

Dont want to get off the beaten path, but willing to explore to have a good trip.

All feedback is appreciated.

Re: Need Falcon Lake Fishing Resort Recommendations [Re: Set That Hook] #7872618 08/13/12 12:56 AM
O
OldChamp Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
O
Originally Posted By: Set That Hook

As I understand there are NO resorts/fish camps/fisherman friendly lodging options directly on Falcon Lake? It sounds like off-lake hotels are our only option?

If this is the case, Ill assume security of ones rig is risky at best? Dining and entertainment options in Zapata also seem to be limited or risky? Well, a little risky is OK, just dont want to end up in a ditch...

Besides Zapata, are you aware of other communities or towns in the Falcon area that offer friendly lodging for visiting fisherman?

There's a few places that could be considered on the water only in the sense they have their own boat ramps. Beacon Lodge, and the RV park in town come to mind. But I believe their ramps are long ago out of the water at current lake levels. Other than the county park ramp there might be a few private ramps still useable or launch off the shoreline where safe - but 4x4 might be needed. There's no marinas anywhere on the lake.

I would not say parking your rig in front of your motel room is highly risky in Zapata, I've not had nor heard of any real problems. But no doubt there have been some occasional issues. It's probably safer than Lake Fork based on what I've seen and heard.

There are no other towns close to Falcon. It's 40-50 miles back to Laredo.
Falcon Heights is a very small community 30 miles down the road from Zapata and just off the US end of Falcon dam and State Park and has a small motel. But you have to pack in & prepare all your own grub - nothing else there.

Not trying to discourage you but you need to get a good feeling of where you are heading and what Zapata has to offer.

Last edited by OldChamp; 08/13/12 12:59 AM.

Re: Need Falcon Lake Fishing Resort Recommendations [Re: Set That Hook] #7872623 08/13/12 12:57 AM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
If you want some stories to bring back, head over to mexico one night. That is, if you come back

Last edited by Jaret Latta; 08/13/12 12:57 AM.
Re: Need Falcon Lake Fishing Resort Recommendations [Re: Set That Hook] #7872633 08/13/12 12:58 AM
Kelly G. Offline
Angler
Angler
I have spent about 16 nights at the Sunbridge Inn over the last couple of years. I have never had or heard of any problems about the rigs parked outside of the doors there. Food there is not awesome, but was plenty good for this hungry fisherman!

Re: Need Falcon Lake Fishing Resort Recommendations [Re: Set That Hook] #7872652 08/13/12 01:04 AM
Walls Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Dude, no offense, but you are WAY overthinking this. It is not that kind of experience. It is pure fishing- eat what you can, when you can....sleep....repeat. I have stayed just about everywhere currently available, except for Tommy Law's new place and a couple of other houses advertised on here. Unless you get one of the aforementioned houses, Sunbridge has been the easiest option with the rig just outside the door, clean room, and close to FLT and the county ramp. If the houses are not available, I would take the tailgating grill, some beer, a cooler of food, and hit Sunbridge. Get Jay/10lbsorbust (or any of a half dozen other awesome guides) for the first day or two and whack 'em. You can get great breakfast tacos at Tina's on the way to the ramp, stop by FLT and get what you need as well as some dock talk, and then fish for 13 hours. My favorite months to fish there are October and November. Cooler temps, less pressure, and the fish have been cooperative. Pray for rain, and good luck. JMHO

Re: Need Falcon Lake Fishing Resort Recommendations [Re: Set That Hook] #7872706 08/13/12 01:12 AM
T
Td52 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
check out www.bedandbass.biz stayed there this spring good people nice place.They will cook for you ,make you lunches.and plan on going back.

Re: Need Falcon Lake Fishing Resort Recommendations [Re: Set That Hook] #7872770 08/13/12 01:26 AM
S
Set That Hook Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Jeret Latta, perhaps back in the day, a trip across the border would have been more productive than fishing the Rio Grande, but wed like to stay NORTH of the river, and say we had a successful trip regardless of what we catchanyone on local Senorita Hot Spots?

That said, OldChamp, again I appreciate your time and input on this post. What concerns me is your description of water levels and launch conditions; we have no 4x4s available, just trucks.

Kelly G, I appreciate the thumbs up on Sunbridge, will file it at the top.

Re: Need Falcon Lake Fishing Resort Recommendations [Re: Set That Hook] #7872789 08/13/12 01:30 AM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
I agree, just joking there. I used to go across to nuevo laredo all the time when i hunted there in the early 90's. cant anymore.

The county ramp across from falcon tackle is in great shape. Actually 2 ramps there now as the one on the point is exposed.

Re: Need Falcon Lake Fishing Resort Recommendations [Re: Set That Hook] #7872831 08/13/12 01:42 AM
S
Set That Hook Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Chasinbass, wasnt trying to overthink the trip, just wanted to get advice before we commit to the trip. Feedback on what wed like versus what to expect. So far, your advice as well as others has been valuable. I appreciate your input.

Re: Need Falcon Lake Fishing Resort Recommendations [Re: Set That Hook] #7872878 08/13/12 01:54 AM
Donald Harper Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
PM sent; booking two places both have full discriptions in Plugs and Announcements and also running an add in the Classifides.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: Need Falcon Lake Fishing Resort Recommendations [Re: Td52] #7874158 08/13/12 02:55 PM
BASS101 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted By: Td52
check out www.bedandbass.biz stayed there this spring good people nice place.They will cook for you ,make you lunches.and plan on going back.

X2

[Linked Image]
Re: Need Falcon Lake Fishing Resort Recommendations [Re: Set That Hook] #7879159 08/14/12 06:21 PM
B
BassinBilly Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Set the hook give me a ring and I will give you the lay down of what I have learned living here since Feb. I will tell you more about the places I have also and see if it is what you are looking for. If you look at my previous posts you will see a thread with pics of the water level that will pretty much be the view. I will have pics of the place soon.

Re: Need Falcon Lake Fishing Resort Recommendations [Re: Set That Hook] #7879424 08/14/12 07:20 PM
T
Texas Smoke Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Jeret Latta, perhaps back in the day, a trip across the border would have been more productive than fishing the Rio Grande, but wed like to stay NORTH of the river, and say we had a successful trip regardless of what we catchanyone on local Senorita Hot Spots?

That said, OldChamp, again I appreciate your time and input on this post. What concerns me is your description of water levels and launch conditions; we have no 4x4s available, just trucks.

Local senorita hotspots ??

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. You obviously haven't spent much time in South Texas.

With all due respect, you should take 2 minutes of your day and use Google Maps to look up Zapata. That would eliminate 90% of your questions because you would soon realize just how small Zapata is. Forget about "entertainment" (Why do you keep putting quotes around that word ?) forget about resorts and forget about senoritas. The only reason you should go to Zapata is to go fishing. Period. Any other expectations you have will be crushed. If you want a complete package of resorts and "entertainment" and senoritas and fishing, go elsewhere.

Re: Need Falcon Lake Fishing Resort Recommendations [Re: Texas Smoke] #7881119 08/15/12 01:56 AM
T Gutierrez Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: Texas Smoke

Local senorita hotspots ??

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. You obviously haven't spent much time in South Texas.

With all due respect, you should take 2 minutes of your day and use Google Maps to look up Zapata. That would eliminate 90% of your questions because you would soon realize just how small Zapata is. Forget about "entertainment" (Why do you keep putting quotes around that word ?) forget about resorts and forget about senoritas. The only reason you should go to Zapata is to go fishing. Period. Any other expectations you have will be crushed. If you want a complete package of resorts and "entertainment" and senoritas and fishing, go elsewhere.

Agreed to effinity and beyond x 100000000000 hundred million... Entertainment and sinoritas can be found in Mexico with a few hundred bucks and cast iron nuts...

[Linked Image]11.01

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide