Print Thread
Im still here.....RandomReports/ Mayan Princess 8/8 #7858853 08/09/12 03:12 AM
A
AcousticTennis Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
A
Well let me catch yall up a bit....I havent seen Baffin in over a month fishing has been tough there for me....

Had my 21st Birthday... 4 -5 foot seas be dammed I had my first legal drink floating in the gulf! (shiner bock)

Made a offshore trip a while back and watched spots Catch a monster king!

Also got to see my buddy tangle with a feisty bonnet shark while jigging the rigs for snapper

My gals family has a cabin on Lake Buchanan and we got invited so something new to try!

Winds were high! The 130' of water was rough! Pitch black! A lake we knew nothing about trying to freshwater fish!

I was flying by a shoreline with chop and used my spotlight to find a LARGE cat 40+pounds it took off quickly! Shined the light on the shoreline and another took off...i paddled back to get robert and while making the return trip a large freshwater drum went under my kayak! This was the location! We beached to check out the terrain and while walking the shoreline with a spotlight we managed to find dozens of catfish and freshwater drum shallow. Sight casting didnt work but oh well its a new game for us.

Back in the kayak i tossed out Shrimp flavored fishbites and it got picked up! I didn't even notice the hit which lead to me getting tangled in more stumps then i cared for...finally managed to untangle the mess and pull out my first Blue Cat! 29"-30"

Trip was successful i will be better prepared next time!

After being beat up all weekend tubing and water skiing, i rolled around in bed and turned off the alarm skipping the offshore trip with blowrey and prof. salt....then the call came making me regret that decision! =/

I got my buddy robert to *cough* skip class *cough* and head offshore today...

Met up with OhDeer and Phu at launch
water was awesome almost no surf easy getting out...

When we got to the rig birds were working with bonita all over the baitfish...i managed a hook up twice but didn't stick...i need a better lure for those suckers....

While on one school they disappeared and it got quiet....i look down and the batifish were under my kayak hiding then BAM BAM BAM! The bonita started crashing the bait under me hitting my kayak in the process...

I turn around and see Phu hooked up...i paddle over for assistance which was a good think because he somehow hooked the king in the tail making it hard to land without a gaff...i stuck it right when the lure fell out of the tail whooo Phu is on the board!

Me and Robert left the first rig and headed for the others on the paddle robert hooks this nice spanish mackeral? measured at 31" either big smack or small king can someone clarify this?

....when we got to the big rig we noticed a lot of little fins out of the water...it was Thousands of spadefish all around the rig little ones not many large ones....

Jigging caught snapper, ladyfish, and triggerfish...

I let out another ribbon and as soon as i engaged the clicker it starts screeeeaming!

After a good battle i pull out this Solid king!

Continued...

Re: Im still here.....RandomReports/ Mayan Princess 8/8 [Re: AcousticTennis] #7858858 08/09/12 03:12 AM
A
AcousticTennis Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
A
Pumped up I decided to try for snapper...when i got to my favorite of the rigs i noticed top water action right on top of it...perfect cast stopped short of hitting hte rig and my line started to zigzag Spanish mack on!

I called over bert and he started jigging pulling up pompano....hearing and spanish mackeral were all over the rig!
Red snapper were corralling baitfish on the rig and popping them on the top....

We left it after a while and back to try for snapper on the big rig....Bert had hooked a threadfish? and put it on a hook...

while at the big rig (time 11:35) bert hooks into something massive....He starts getting towed around the fish is heavy...about 30minutes in it tries pulling him into the rig so i tie up to his kayak and start the tug of war with bert in the middle....

i manage to pull him from the rig...its around 1ish now and he tells me "im ok brotha go get more kings" so i load up and circle the nearest rig to him just incase....not long after ZZZZZZ!

Hit so hard it birdnested like you wouldn't believe with no drag my treble was straightened and i had him on one tiny hook....

after a lot of missed gaff attempts i got my second king in the kayak!

The Time is not 3 o'clock and bert is still fighting what we now know is a giant ray....i told him to give me the rod he was exhausted!

I locked the drag held the spool and pulled as hard as possible...80lb mono and a heavy ugly stick didnt budge, i didnt budge, the fish didnt budge...what happened is the kayak started to go down and take water over the sides since i was pulling so hard....

Finally was able to get off the bottom but couldnt lift it up since the weight was soo much....we cut the line and i tried to pull in with my hands...ended up busting the mono at the knot....3 1/2 hour battle with a monster ray never even budged and we got pulled 4 more miles away from the beach....

started our paddle back and ran into jacob he caught some nice snapper while i was there...good meeting ya brotha!

It was a awesome day offshore and im looking forward to the Tournament!

Till Next time!
Life is good!

Re: Im still here.....RandomReports/ Mayan Princess 8/8 [Re: AcousticTennis] #7858901 08/09/12 03:28 AM
S
saltwaterjunky Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Looking good wonder where ya been fish

Re: Im still here.....RandomReports/ Mayan Princess 8/8 [Re: AcousticTennis] #7858932 08/09/12 03:41 AM
B
Bluwave Mike Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Nice kings

Re: Im still here.....RandomReports/ Mayan Princess 8/8 [Re: AcousticTennis] #7859308 08/09/12 12:13 PM
F
Fish Wrangler Offline
Angler
Angler
F
Spanish macks have yellow spots. That was a nice spanish mack if it was one. Also, were you fishing out of Port A?

Re: Im still here.....RandomReports/ Mayan Princess 8/8 [Re: AcousticTennis] #7862593 08/10/12 01:31 AM
L
LandPirate Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
The fish in question is a small king. Great report. It *ALMOST* makes me want to take up offshore yaking. Notice that I said ALMOST?

Last edited by LandPirate; 08/10/12 01:32 AM.

Mike
Buda/Port Aransas, TX
Re: Im still here.....RandomReports/ Mayan Princess 8/8 [Re: AcousticTennis] #7863214 08/10/12 03:55 AM
J
Jean Scurtu Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
Great report, nice fish and pictures.Congrats!!!

Jean Scurtu

"BORN TO FISH,FORCED TO WORK"
Re: Im still here.....RandomReports/ Mayan Princess 8/8 [Re: AcousticTennis] #7871110 08/12/12 04:31 PM
B
back2fishing Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Terrific report and photos. I started laughing when the ray was going to sink your kayak. Reminds me of the scene from Jaws. "We need a bigger boat".

Robert

[Linked Image]
Re: Im still here.....RandomReports/ Mayan Princess 8/8 [Re: AcousticTennis] #7871568 08/12/12 07:31 PM
B
Blueshoes2208 Offline
Angler
Angler
B
hahahahhaha............ my friend told me this story on texas kayak fisherman, little did I know it was on my own forum too!!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide