Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Lets see your....RECIPE's [Re: jdsibert] #7753551 07/12/12 06:53 PM
B
back2fishing Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
If you crave Almond Joy but don't like the price.

Go to Krogers on the baking good aisle. Buy 2 packs of semi sweet chips, bag of sweetened coconut, bag of whole almonds. All are Kroger generics.

Toss a handful of each into a big bowl (2 handfuls of the semi sweet chips). Stir around with your hand. Eat as finger food.

You can add mini marshmallows if that if your thing.

For $6-8 you end up with $25 worth of Almond Joy generics.

Robert

[Linked Image]
Re: Lets see your....RECIPE's [Re: back2fishing] #7769446 07/17/12 02:55 AM
J
jdsibert Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
Originally Posted By: back2fishing
If you crave Almond Joy but don't like the price.

Go to Krogers on the baking good aisle. Buy 2 packs of semi sweet chips, bag of sweetened coconut, bag of whole almonds. All are Kroger generics.

Toss a handful of each into a big bowl (2 handfuls of the semi sweet chips). Stir around with your hand. Eat as finger food.

You can add mini marshmallows if that if your thing.

For $6-8 you end up with $25 worth of Almond Joy generics.

uhhh....your single huh? <LOL>

< Smiles to himself, remembering being single, and eating KFC right out of the box>

Re: Lets see your....RECIPE's [Re: jdsibert] #7769450 07/17/12 02:56 AM
J
jdsibert Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
Originally Posted By: jdsibert
Originally Posted By: Reef Runner
TEXAS Gumbo:

3/4 lb. cleaned, shelled fresh shrimp
3/4 lb. crab meat
3/4 lb. oysters

(Quantities are after cleaning. Use shells and oyster liquor in stock.)

Veggies:

2 cups onion, finely chopped
2 cups celery, finely chopped
1 cup green onion, chopped
1 cup bell pepper, finely chopped
3 large cloves fresh garlic, diced
2 cups okra, sliced
8 oz, can tomato sauce

Spices:

1 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. oregano
1 bay leaf, ground
1 1/2 tblspn. Tabasco Sauce

DIRECTIONS:

Prepare a seafood stock by throwing the shells from cleaning the seafood; the oyster liquor; one large onion, quartered and several celery stocks into a large pot. Fill the pot with cold water and bring to a boil. Simmer two to four hours, add water as needed to keep about one quart of liquid.

While the stock simmers sit down, relax and watch a NASCAR race. When the stock smells so good you can't stand to wait any longer start chopping the veggies. This gives the stock a chance to keep simmering.

Saut the okra until the edges are golden brown and set aside.

Set aside the rest of the veggies for use with the roux.

Blend and grind the dry spices and set aside.

Prepare a dark brown roux. The roux is what gives the finished gumbo broth its deep, rich flavor and gorgeous, dark golden color. The importance of this step can't be overlooked but it is really not as difficult as most people believe. With patience and persistence anyone can turn out a roux to rival the finest Cajun chefs. Never stop stirring!

In my kitchen we use a large cast iron skillet about 4 inches deep. Heat 3/4 cup oil over medium low heat. As the oil starts to get hot gradually blend in 3/4 cup unsifted flour. Stir constantly. We use a flat ended wooden spoon / spatula. If the mixture starts to bubble or boil, turn it down. Stir constantly.

Slowly, before your very eyes, the mixture will shade from white through cream color to tan then light brown, brown and finally a reddish brown. Stir constantly. When the reddish brown roux darkens to about the color of wet red Georgia gumbo clay start adding the veggies previously set aside. This will start cooling down the roux so you may need to turn up the heat slightly. Keep stirring. Fold in all the veggies except the okra and cook until the roux mixture has turned dark brown and the vegetables are cooked.

Turn off the heat, set aside.

Strain the stock, fold in the roux with the veggies, add the okra, dry spices and Tobasco.

Bring the basic gumbo to a boil, turn down the heat and simmer for an hour or so.

About twenty minutes to half-hour before dinnertime add the seafood and continue simmering. Serve in bowls over rice.

Try not to over eat.

Made this last night.....ate till I was so full I thought I was gonna puke. woke up and Just had more for breakfast!

And Right now, there is a empty bowl of it in front of me !!

Re: Lets see your....RECIPE's [Re: jdsibert] #7769918 07/17/12 07:03 AM
R
RobTx Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
R
Two extremely good and so easy a caveman could do it recipes

SPICY FRIED FISH
(I prefer trout and whiting personally)

1.Use a lot of Slap Ya Mama on filets

2.Coat the @#&% out of them with mustard or dijon mustard

3.Shake in bag with zatarains crispy southern mix

4.Fry

5.Serve with fresh lemon slices and Profit!

NOW! Here is my wife and I's favorite! When its done it will look like you paid 25 dollars a plate for this fish. Taste like you did too.

REDFISH ON THE HALF SHELL

1.Take Redfish filets with scales on(this will become the "shell") and season with slap ya mama seasoning.

2.Coat meat side with Ranch dressing.

3.Cover in French's brand French Fried Onions (the kind used on top of green bean casseroles)

4.Place two filets in top rack of oven at 350 degrees for 10 mnutes.

5.Move fish to middle rack and put oven on broil mode for 5 minutes.

6.Enjoy an incredibly visually appealing and AMAZING meal. I serve this with a side salad already dressed on the side of the plate.

I PROMISE you that your wife or girlfriend will ask you to make it again and again...

Last edited by RobTx; 07/17/12 07:09 AM.
Re: Lets see your....RECIPE's [Re: jdsibert] #7781972 07/19/12 09:50 PM
J
jdsibert Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
This rain is keeping me off the water.....and you guys are keeping me hungry. first chance I get....gonna go kill some fish....KILL EM' THEN GRILL EM' !!

PS....THANK YOU GOD.....for this LOVELY rain!

Re: Lets see your....RECIPE's [Re: jdsibert] #7787500 07/21/12 02:42 AM
A
AdanV Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A
This is how I cooked the 18" Flounder I caught last Saturday from West bay:

Its been a LOOONG time since I cooked fish on my own, so bear with me.

- Heated a frying pan on Medium-High heat.
- Scaled Fish, cut off head, and removed the guts. It was too big to cook it whole, so I cut it into 3 sections.
- Sprinkled each side well with Lemon Pepper, Cajun Seasoning (Tony Chacheres), and minced Garlic.
- Melted 1/4 cup of butter in the heating pan and put the fish immediately in.
- Cooked each side until Brown. I used a fork to make sure all the meat was flaking off.
- Ate it with some buttered wheat toast and washed it down with icy cold Shiner Bock. Delicious!

Re: Lets see your....RECIPE's [Re: jdsibert] #7790696 07/22/12 03:41 AM
B
basspromaster Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
I see inshore species but no offshore so I'll tell you mine for grilled grouper. It is extremely easy and very good.

Teriyaki sauce
Soy sauce
Onion
Cilantro
Tomato
Mango

I have always done this to taste so I don't really have good measurements for you but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to do this.

Mix a small amount of soy and tariki into a baking dish and add your grouper. Let sit in mixture about an hr on each side. Now you can either make a mango
Salsa or a topping like piccolo but with the mango. Either one is really good.

Salsa: pretty simple whole ripe mango, cilantro, 1/4 to 1/2 cup onion and 1/4 to half cup tomato. Put it in a food proccesor and blend it until it looks like a nice salsa. You can add jalepeno if you want it spicy.

Picco: slice mango into small chunks add red onion cilantro tomato lime and if you want a lil jalapeo

Lay down tin foil across your grill at a med temperature. You want the fish to cook fast and not get dry but bc grouper is usually a thick cut it seems to do better at this temp. Add olive oil to the foil and wait till it gets hot. Place fish on the hottest part so that you can get a quick hot seer on one side. After steering it one one side flip and move to the outside. Place either the salsa or Picco on top the fillets and close the lid. Takes about 15 min or so. The fish will be fall apart tender so I personally just pick up the foil and place on a backing dish or tray. Serve this over white rice with a side of grilled asparagus. It is truly one of the best things I've ever eaten it the bomb.com!!! Very easy too

Last edited by basspromaster; 07/22/12 03:45 AM.

Politicians, baseball players, high-powered corporate CEO's they all seem to eventually let us down. Nature, however, does not. Look to her for inspiration and you will learn the secrets to living a good life. The most Important lesson it would seem is to make sure you spend as much time fishing as anything else.
Re: Lets see your....RECIPE's [Re: jdsibert] #7791464 07/22/12 03:19 PM
K
kodys'papa Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
Great thread. Been experimenting with grilled, baked freshwater fish a long time. Don 't get to the coast much. Had a bag of three half shell red vacuum sealed since last trip to coast. Baked em last week added just fresh oregano, basil, cilantro, old bay and the juice of a lemon, lime, orange, quartered whole onion, three fresh garlic pods. foil wrapped and baked at 350 for about 35 minutes or so Great fresh and even better fish tacos the next day, simple to put together, toss foil, rinse pan...

Hooking a fish is like playing string with a cat. The exact size, shape, color of string matters less than how you wiggle it- and little cats are easier to fool than big ones. John Gierach
Re: Lets see your....RECIPE's [Re: jdsibert] #7799714 07/24/12 07:34 PM
M
Mo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
M
Quick and easy blackened fish ( Redfish, trout, flounder ,
dophin , It's all good )

OUTSIDE-- set up propane cooker with an Iron skillet or
griddle , get VERY hot. ( dry )

Louisiana Brand Blackened fish seasoning ( blue can)
Olive oil ( get some of the good stuff )

Dip the fillets in oil , hit both side with seasoning,
lay'em out on a cookie sheet,

Drop them on the HOTT griddle , I only do 2-4 fillets at a time depending on the size, SMOKE WILL ENSUE !!! ( this is why
we do it outside )
a couple of minutes per each side ( watch the edges--
when they turn white , turn the fillet over, second side
just a little less than the first.

Enjoy.

MO

MY BACKYARD , 20,000 ACRES , NO MOWING smile
Re: Lets see your....RECIPE's [Re: jdsibert] #7800387 07/24/12 10:13 PM
B
back2fishing Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
I am an old bachelor. Started a new diet last month so home made Almond Joys have to wait for Christmas. Darn ! !

Robert

[Linked Image]
Re: Lets see your....RECIPE's [Re: jdsibert] #7811024 07/27/12 05:01 PM
cocodrie Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
lazy/quick ceviche that will gross 98% of you out.

slice some ***fresh caught*** trout fillets really thin, layer them on some foil (shiney side up) and turn/fold up the sides (like a pan or bowl). take out to the pool, jump in the pool with a few cold beers in an ice chest. squeeze a [censored] load of limes over the trout to where the lime juice is all over every slice. take some Cholula hot sauce and dash all over the thin slices. leave on the edge of pool in direct sun moving around a bit with your fingers until the bottom turns white, then turn over and let the other side cook. once fish is cooked and will barely start to flake, just dig in and enjoy. eat them plain like that or with chips. also works well out on the boat in the middle of the bay or gulf.

Re: Lets see your....RECIPE's [Re: Mo] #7813049 07/28/12 02:07 AM
G
Garfish 3 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
G
Originally Posted By: Mo
Quick and easy blackened fish ( Redfish, trout, flounder ,
dophin , It's all good )

OUTSIDE-- set up propane cooker with an Iron skillet or
griddle , get VERY hot. ( dry )

Louisiana Brand Blackened fish seasoning ( blue can)
Olive oil ( get some of the good stuff

Dip the fillets in oil , hit both side with seasoning,
lay'em out on a cookie sheet,

Drop them on the HOTT griddle , I only do 2-4 fillets at a time depending on the size, SMOKE WILL ENSUE !!! ( this is why
we do it outside )
a couple of minutes per each side ( watch the edges--
when they turn white , turn the fillet over, second side
just a little less than the first.

Enjoy.

MO

X2!
I do it just about the same way. Very easy and it's really good.

If you want to, make it Atchafalaya style w/ some crawfish etoufee' over it or Pontchartrain style w/ a crab sauce on it.

Make sure Mama's not around or she'll get slapped!!!! LOL

"Hurry up! We're burnin' daylight."
Re: Lets see your....RECIPE's [Re: jdsibert] #7813430 07/28/12 04:46 AM
J
jdsibert Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
ttt

Re: Lets see your....RECIPE's [Re: jdsibert] #7828256 08/01/12 04:03 PM
J
jdsibert Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
TTT!!

Re: Lets see your....RECIPE's [Re: jdsibert] #7834212 08/02/12 10:00 PM
R
rockportraider Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
Yum. Will be trying a few of these and reporting later.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide