Print Thread
Wade Fishing Help #7369840 04/03/12 06:22 PM
B
bclifford Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Well i finally got my boat, and that means that I can finally learn to get out into East Matagorda and do some wade fishing. Everyone tells me wade fishing is the best way to go in Matagorda Bay. Unfortunately for me I have no idea what i need for wade fishing. So my question to you guys is what do I need to get me started. I already have all the rods/reels I need. What equipment do you folks recommend I get before heading out for the first time. Any advice is most appreciated.

[Linked Image]
Re: Wade Fishing Help [Re: bclifford] #7370124 04/03/12 07:21 PM
P
Pat Goff Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
P
Sorry no pictures but..
I use an everlast wading belt, much handier than the old levis belt loops.

A straight pronged, plastic coated cable stringer with float on the end, 20'

wading net that has the elastic in the handle that attaches to the belt.

I wear knee high wading boots, not as bullet proof as the ray guards, but way better than nothing, and much easier to maneuver in.

Jig heads and plastics go in a ziplock bag in pocket, and don't forget a good number of paper towels. (trout will splash your sunglasses)

Pat Goff
Seadrift TX
[Linked Image]
Re: Wade Fishing Help [Re: bclifford] #7370195 04/03/12 07:37 PM
B
bclifford Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Thanks a lot! That is really helpful laugh

[Linked Image]
Re: Wade Fishing Help [Re: bclifford] #7530001 05/15/12 03:10 AM
B
bayfisherman Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
This is what i use.
Shimano Curado 200G5
Castaway 6'6" MH action rod
Berkley Big Game clear (10-14 pound)
stringer
bait bucket
Paul Brown Floating Originals and Devils(various colors)
Brown lures Devil Eye pearl/chartreuse and pink Hologram most of the time
and for live bait croakers and 3-6 inch mullet
Hope this helps.

Last edited by bayfisherman; 05/17/12 01:40 PM.
Re: Wade Fishing Help [Re: bclifford] #7536428 05/16/12 05:00 PM
S
Saltwater Killer Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
Wade belt first and foremost, I like the G2 Pro from Foreverlast, also the poly stringer, aluminum pliers. I prefer a sash style tackle box, that way you can have some top waters, corkys, or spoons it you want a change from a jig. If you do decide to get the ray gaurdz, recommend getting the Reef boot and Ray gaurdz seperate, that way in the winter you can wear them over your waders, I did not do this and now have two sets of gaurdz bang. I prefer a boga grip over a net, make sure your belt have a bottle holder for a bottle of water. Hydrate before even hitting the water, sunscreen is your friend and buy a wadefishing map, they will tell you were the hard bottoms are.

If you are really ready to make the plunge, take a wade fishing guide out a couple times, you will learn more than you can imagine from those guys as far as were good bottom is to how to tell were to fish on a certian tide.

Hope this helps.

Keep a tight line!
Re: Wade Fishing Help [Re: bclifford] #7536711 05/16/12 06:02 PM
AQUA PIMP Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
There are many ways to go as far as gear goes.... For me I like to go light as possible. Most of the time when I step out of the boat I know I may be gone for hours at a time.

Rod and reel I like a 6'6 Med light and I like the smaller 50 series reels. Two of my favorites right now are the Curado 50E and the Chronarch 50 both spooled with Berkley 10 lb Big Game. Leader I usually start off with about 6' of 20 lb Big Game. Sometimes when I get back to the boat that 6' of leader is about 6' LOL. Sometimes I will use a Tony clip though and wont half to re tie.

The two pics Im posting I just took. This is what I am carrying right now. The over the shoulder box I like to use to keep my Corkys in. I try to keep my Corkys dry when not in use. The over the shoulder box is good for my soft plastcs aswell, plus this is where I keep my pliers and Boga.

My belt is where I store all my topwaters and stringer. Notice the float! This is a good place to keep extra lead heads and rigged up soft plastics. Once I have fish on the stringer the belt has a spot for the stringer spike to slide into. NEVER EVER tie your stinger to you or the belt. If a Shark grabs your stinger just slide the spike out and let him have it. If your stringer is tied on you somewhere you may be going for an unexpected ride. Always keep your stringer away from you at all times. Never let it get twisted around your lergs or body.
I would recommend taking an deeply hooked fish back to the boat. A bloody fish wont last long on a stringer. Some folks like the Do-Nets but I dont like them dragging behind me. Like I said I like to go light as possible. Some people think the Do-Nets will keep the Sharks away and thats why they use them. Wrong!!! Sharks will blast right through a Do-Net all the same. Now in the surf a Do-Net is not a bad idea because it could serve as a life saving device if you got out too deep and into trouble.

Some folks like landing nets but I dont really care for them. I like to grab my fish when possible. If the fish is hooked good with a topwater then I will use my Boga. I dont like the net hanging around me or when Im fighting a good Trout or Red thats just something else in the way I have to keep the fish out of. Also, I have seen a lot of Big Trout missed because of a topwater getting up in the net causing the Trout to tear free. I release alot of fish too. Nets remove alot of the protective slime off of a fish. Thebesat way to handle a fish for release is with a Boga or wet hands.

Summer time long pants are a must... Especially in East Matty, that jelly in that bay cane be fierce LOL. Do wear long pants in any bay. A good wading boot is a must to. Winter time I like the Foreverlast boot that does not have the Ray guards. Warmer water temps I will wear the ones with the ray guards. What ever boot you choose make sure the rubber is thick enough to walk on shell. I know I wade some pretty nasty shell and my boots get cut up pretty bad.

A few extra things I take are my sun glasses, sun glass cleaners, finger nail clippers, extra leader line, extra leadheads, a buff, and I always carry my cell phone too. Especially when wading solo.

Hope this helps..

AQUA PIMP

"SALTWATA PIMP'N AIN'T EZ"
www.saltwaterassault.com
Re: Wade Fishing Help [Re: bclifford] #7536718 05/16/12 06:03 PM
AQUA PIMP Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Here are a few pics of what I mainly carry....

AQUA PIMP

"SALTWATA PIMP'N AIN'T EZ"
www.saltwaterassault.com
Re: Wade Fishing Help [Re: bclifford] #7537614 05/16/12 09:39 PM
B
bclifford Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Thanks Aqua! That is a huge help. cheers

[Linked Image]
Re: Wade Fishing Help [Re: bclifford] #7537713 05/16/12 10:10 PM
K
karnavor2 Offline
Angler
Angler
K
Aqua Pimp is dead on/ i like to use waders until the water is warm. Other then that i agree with him...My setup is almost identical...

Re: Wade Fishing Help [Re: karnavor2] #7539952 05/17/12 03:23 PM
B
bayfisherman Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
20' stringer with float
wade bucket for live bait
Some type of shoes (in case you step on any shell)
wade belt with rods holder for when you catch a fish to put your rod in
good supply of baits
here are some that i use for summer
Brown lures devil eyes and flappin' devils in pearl/chartreuse,pink hologram,strawberry,amber(depends on color of water)
Paul Brown Devil for Reds mostly in Bone,purple chartreuse,pearl black back and pearl chartreuse
Mirrolure catch 2000 in various colors
Mirrrolure top dog jr. in mullet colors
Mullet or croaker for live bait with pre-tied leaders.
Hope this helps.

Re: Wade Fishing Help [Re: bclifford] #7547681 05/19/12 01:43 PM
L
LexyFishing Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
L
Find a 6'0" - 6'6" super light rod for wade fishing.
CastAway made some very nice "Saltwater Wader Stick" that you can use with a Curado 50E.
It would be a perfect combo for wading all day long.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide