Forums59
Topics1,039,368
Posts13,963,443
Members144,202
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! [Re: Panhandle] #7151069 02/09/12 04:06 PM
demok83 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I like this tip! banana

Proverbs 3:5-6
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! [Re: Monte Coon] #7151116 02/09/12 04:15 PM
B
bowfin Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Leave wife at home,prevents sight seeing.

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! [Re: Monte Coon] #7151298 02/09/12 04:57 PM
H
Huntinnfishin Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
Anytime I'm putting a rod away, I put my lure on the bottom eye or on the hook saver on the rod and then I tighten my line on the rod, wrap the line around the eyes a couple times, and it keeps my rods from getting tangled. May be easier to use a rod sock, never bought one, but I've been doing it for years and really helps me.

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! [Re: Huntinnfishin] #7151353 02/09/12 05:06 PM
F
FisherMen Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
Originally Posted By: Huntinnfishin
Anytime I'm putting a rod away, I put my lure on the bottom eye or on the hook saver on the rod and then I tighten my line on the rod, wrap the line around the eyes a couple times, and it keeps my rods from getting tangled. May be easier to use a rod sock, never bought one, but I've been doing it for years and really helps me.

I do this as well. Also... I recently purchased The Rod Glove brand covers and they have helped even more. In order to organize them better, I picked one color for all my moving baits and one color for all my worm/jig/stationary type baits. This helps me to find what I am looking for quicker. I may buy a third color to put on a favorite or more frequently used rod in order to find it better.... or put in on a rod that is not used as much or technique specific so I know not to grab it first.

Eric Seaton
1998 Triton TR-19
Still Waters Bass Club www.stillwatersbassclub.org
Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! [Re: Monte Coon] #7151364 02/09/12 05:10 PM
Stan Browning Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Fish your strength's,not what everyone say's is producing fish,in the long run you will have more confidence and catch more fish by fishing your strength's.

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! [Re: Monte Coon] #7151373 02/09/12 05:11 PM
C
ChampionDon (SkeeterDon) Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Okay, here are a few of mine:

I keep the senko type baits after using them for Trigged applications and use them for wacky rigging, They will wobble more as they sink.

2. Wacky rigging o-rings. Got to sally's beauty supply and get some rubber bands that they use when they braid hair, the small ones. You get like 500 for $2, then just double the rubber band and slip over your soft plastic stick bait, catch multiple fish on one bait.

3. Dont like to use the o-rings then get some clear jumbo straws at specific restaurants and cut in inch lengths, put over your bait and then your hook through the straw and bait, can use the same bait all day long.

4. When you buy some spinner baits (H2) they put that rubber tubing over the hooks, keep thos and cut them up like in 1/8 lengths. The put them on your Carolina rig just above the swivel to protect the knot.

5. Treble type baits, like topwaters and crankbatis, always getting tangled up with the other rods. I use those hair clips that are 3-4 inches long and you can get them anywhere. I buy mine from the dollar store and can get 4-5 for $1. Borrow some from your wife or girlfriend. When I am on the deck of the boat and I pull one off I just attach it to the trolling motor wires and they have never come off. My dad taught me this one.

6. Hook sharpener I use an emory board. I have one that is course on one side and fine on the other. It works better than a file and gets the hook super sharp. It will double when you rip a nail and you can file it down. LOL

7. Remember what line you have on the reel? Use a label maker. Typically one does not change the rod that the reel is on and the label usually is long, so just wrap it around the hand of the rod so that it sticks to itself and you will have a waterproof sticker. You can also date it so you know how when the line was put on.

8. I have been doing this one for years. I get those retractable lanyards from office depot or the dollar store and attach my little clippers to it and then put it on my belt loop or belt and they are always right there and when I am done, I just let them go.

9. Been doing this one for twenty years, will post anyway if its a repeat. When re-spooling line, dont take the old all the way off, leave some on for backing. Use a uni-uni knot to attach with only 2 or 3 loops per tag and cut real close so there is not catching

10. Only put the amount of gas in the boat that you think you are going to use. Allows you to keep a small amount in the boat when not in use, so you will burn it off. Plus helps you concentrate more on a particular area and fish it more thoroughly before going somewhere else. Of course this does not work if you have a milk run, but again, only put in the amount that you plan on using.
11. I love to fish tubes, but I like to use oldhams with the wire guard, always been a pain to get it rigged, until I started using an easy thread needle. It has an slit in the hole so you can slide the wire guard and thread the needle through the middle of the tube. I know that sometimes the tube will go bad after catching a few fish and you need a new one. But this is good because it forces you to retie.

12. Replace all the baits that have skirts and use the rubber bands with little zip ties. No more skirts falling apart.

13. I use a dental pick to help out with backlashes. When you go to your dentist, ask if they have any that they dont use anymore, get the ones that are rounded on the sharp ends, some have a cutting/scrapping edge. They should give them to you for free.

14. Buy larger spools of line like in 1000/3000 yard spool. It is way cheaper in the long run. I only buy the smaller spools when necessary.

15. When using Frogs, pull the skirt out a little from each leg and put a drop of super glue and then pull back. Do this for both legs and it will keep your legs from falling apart.

16. Use baby wipes instead of TP, plus you can use them to clean your hands. Keep one in truck and boat.

17. When keeping tools in boat, like screwdrivers, wrenches, etc, tools that can rust. Use some type of Tupperware bowl that can hold the tools. Keeps them dry and rust free.

18. Wiping down the boat I use The Absorber, soaks up water, does not smear, removes dirt, washable, and can be put up wet.

19. I owe this one to American Rod Smith. Some rods dont have bait holders or the one that you have breaks. AR has a hole in the trigger for their rods. Just drill you a hold in yours and then file the edges down, bingo, always there, never breaks either.

20. Drop shot rigs Use a wide rubber band around the butt of the rod, wrap it a couple of times and then when you are thru fishing just pull up a band and insert your weight and you are good to go.

21. Spare prop/Spare Hub We spend all that money on baits/rods/reels. This has been a life saver many a times. Get a spare one, dont worry about performance, just as long as it gets you back. Be sure to have a spare of whatever goes with the prop as well, like a nut, washer, cotter pin etc.

22. Aluminum wheels Need to check those lugs regularly. Especially if you have dust covers. I had one wheel come lose one time and thank goodness for the dust cover. I use loctite, not the permanent one and put a couple of drops inside the nut. That away I can still break the lug nut off if necessary to replace the tire.

23. Ring Free Users- It does not come with a measuring device, which I think is [censored], so I use the old Stabil bottle, just pour it all in and now you can pre-measure the amount.

24. When I do a decarb on my engine I keep my old spark plugs hand and use them during the decarb so not to mess up the new spark plugs.

25. Electronics I buy one of those little spray bottles from walmart and put windex, Ammonia free, and put a couple of paper towels in a Ziploc back in the boat. Keep them in the glove box for when I need to clean off the screens.

26. Pair of Dikes in boat for when you get hooked and the barb is all the way thru, cut the hook and pull through. Works very well when by yourself. Done this a few times. Damn whites LOL

27. Those cover plates that cover up your holes of the boat so you can get to the wires for electronics and stuff, like on your bow. How many of you have stripped out the holes and have to use a bigger screw? Well, you dont have any more. You know how the old method was to use a sliver of wood to put in the screw hole so the screw would hold, especially on door hinges? Well, just use a zip tie. Yes push it through and zip it up. The screw will now hold and be as good as new.

28. The washers that the screws go thru on the boat and how the paint has faded, typically black? Use a sharpie to color them black again. Dont like that? Then use black nail polish.

29. Need lunch for next day or snack when you are away from home? How many of you hardly ever finish your meal? Well I always keep some freezer (thicker) Ziploc bags. Bingo put leftovers in bag, like fajitas and tortillas, or a roll and left over steak. You may not do it all the time, but the opportunity is there at times.

If you need clarification for any, just let me know.

Last edited by SkeeterDon; 02/09/12 05:28 PM.

2011 BassChamps East Region Champions-Lake Sam Rayburn Oct 1-2
Central Texas Realtor, Helping People Buy/Sell Their Home, Give Me A Call.
2020 Bullet 21XRS 2020 Mercury 250 ProXS
www.powertackle.com
www.swaggertackle.com
www.hogfarmberbaits.com
www.honestac.com
www.whortonins.com
Donnie C. O'Neal - 512-431-5977

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! [Re: GarySHO] #7151381 02/09/12 05:13 PM
F
FisherMen Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
Originally Posted By: GarySHO
I do my backing a little different. I spool up about half a spool of old line. I then take black electrical tape and cover that line up, I stick it to the old line and use the reel handle to reel it up really tight. I then tie my regular line around that. Now I have about a half a spool of line, which keeps the birdnests down, less line waste and I keep the spool full because thats where your gear ratio is.

I have done this in the past and it works just like you said. Helps especially on the "professional overruns". grin

One thing I found though... you can get down to your knot pretty quick if you have a smaller spool or if you are over half full before putting the tape on. I used old line for a little over a 1/3 of the spool, put the tape on, and then put on new line. This will all depend on what size spool and what size line you are putting on... each reel may be different.

Great, great tip Gary!

Eric Seaton
1998 Triton TR-19
Still Waters Bass Club www.stillwatersbassclub.org
Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! [Re: ChampionDon (SkeeterDon)] #7151465 02/09/12 05:27 PM
Monte Coon Offline OP
Coon's Bar & Grill
OP Offline
Coon's Bar & Grill
Wow lots of good stuff thanks for posting SkeeterDon!!!!

[Linked Image]
Monte Coon | Sales Manager | Moritz Chevrolet | 817-696-2003

www.facebook.com/MoritzFortWorth
www.moritzchevrolet.com
www.dobynsrods.com
www.funnsunboats.com
Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! [Re: Monte Coon] #7151472 02/09/12 05:29 PM
C
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
your welcome Monte, hope I did not bogg it down to bad LOL

www.powertackle.com
www.swaggertackle.com
www.hogfarmberbaits.com
www.honestac.com
www.whortonins.com

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! [Re: ChampionDon (SkeeterDon)] #7151568 02/09/12 05:47 PM
Monte Coon Offline OP
Coon's Bar & Grill
OP Offline
Coon's Bar & Grill
Originally Posted By: SkeeterDon
your welcome Monte, hope I did not bogg it down to bad LOL

Not at all those were some great tips and a lot of effort to type all of that!!!

[Linked Image]
Monte Coon | Sales Manager | Moritz Chevrolet | 817-696-2003

www.facebook.com/MoritzFortWorth
www.moritzchevrolet.com
www.dobynsrods.com
www.funnsunboats.com
Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! [Re: Monte Coon] #7151609 02/09/12 05:56 PM
C
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
i tend to type in word then copy and past, when I am doing long posts because I have been screwed before LOL.

Hey looky there another tip. hahahah

Last edited by SkeeterDon; 02/10/12 04:01 AM.

www.powertackle.com
www.swaggertackle.com
www.hogfarmberbaits.com
www.honestac.com
www.whortonins.com

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! [Re: ChampionDon (SkeeterDon)] #7151701 02/09/12 06:18 PM
A
Alwims Offline
Angler
Angler
A
Originally Posted By: SkeeterDon

27. Those cover plates that cover up your holes of the boat so you can get to the wires for electronics and stuff, like on your bow. How many of you have stripped out the holes and have to use a bigger screw? Well, you dont have any more. You know how the old method was to use a sliver of wood to put in the screw hole so the screw would hold, especially on door hinges? Well, just use a zip tie. Yes push it through and zip it up. The screw will now hold and be as good as new.

SkeeterDon, That has got to be the best tip I have ever heard of. You Da Man. Thanks

Like me for what I am, or don't like me at all.

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! [Re: Monte Coon] #7151737 02/09/12 06:24 PM
J
jbassman Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
J
I tip is to put gas in the boat when you get close to where you are fishing,, that way you are not pulling that extra weight of fuel.. saves a few MPG.
I also took a zip tie strap and put it in my Basscat livewell, pull it shut until you have a 2 inch size opening then my cull rings are clipped to the zipp tie,

They are always where i need them ,when i need them. They stay there all the time. Been doing this for years.

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! [Re: Monte Coon] #7151806 02/09/12 06:38 PM
Der Vorsteher Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I keep a floormat in the boat so when i get out on a bank or something and get my shoes muddy i wipe off my feet on the mat, then shake it out over the side of the boat and that keeps me from getting mud all over the boat.

Team Wolfs
Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! [Re: Monte Coon] #7151823 02/09/12 06:44 PM
C
Crazy Cuban Offline
Angler
Angler
C
GO FISHING WITH PAC.

*** looking for DD's ***

contact info...hgascanio@yahoo.com
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread