D
dfwflyfisher Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
Alright guys, let's have at it...

Which one do you prefer and why?

Re: Wading Boots (Felt vs. Rubber) [Re: dfwflyfisher] #7088221 01/24/12 11:34 PM
Jacob m Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Get some korkers with the interchangeable soles they come with both and you can also geto rubber with studs and/or felt with studs

Fishing is one thing i can't agree on but catching would be more of what i do.
Re: Wading Boots (Felt vs. Rubber) [Re: dfwflyfisher] #7088294 01/24/12 11:50 PM
rrhyne56 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Well felt is going away since it carries organisms stream to stream. Rubber with spikes seems the way to go.

"have fun with this stuff"
in memory of Big Dale
RRhyne56, Flyfishing warden
Re: Wading Boots (Felt vs. Rubber) [Re: dfwflyfisher] #7088515 01/25/12 12:46 AM
H
hunterag Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
H
Missouri has outlawed, all felt in their parks, they will become less prevelent, but imho, there is not a better alternative than felt out there right now. And if you believe the only way diddymo is transported from stream to stream then I have a bridge to sell you.

The focus required leaves any worries behind.
Re: Wading Boots (Felt vs. Rubber) [Re: dfwflyfisher] #7088516 01/25/12 12:46 AM
M
mbarker68x Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
M
I happened to buy a new set awhile back. Had a set of rubber sole with removable studs in my hand. I know the Cabela's sales clerk was just talking, but I really don't think I need to here the lectur about spreading organisms from stream to stream, lake to lake, pond to pond and so on. It was so bad my kids had to drag me away to go look at the trout swimming around the little pond at the Buda Store. I have never owned felt soles, so I can't really say what the benifits are. but the soft sticky rubber and studs have always worked for me.

Re: Wading Boots (Felt vs. Rubber) [Re: dfwflyfisher] #7088626 01/25/12 01:08 AM
M
Mckinneycrappiecatcher Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
M
i like felt with cleats. no better way to go, you dont slip, and your cleats dig into the rocks.

Re: Wading Boots (Felt vs. Rubber) [Re: dfwflyfisher] #7089783 01/25/12 05:27 AM
S
Steve Zissou Offline
Angler
Angler
S
New vibram outsole works phenomenally well, without studs. J.

If it were easy as fishin, You could be a musician
If you could make sounds loud or mellow
Re: Wading Boots (Felt vs. Rubber) [Re: dfwflyfisher] #7092885 01/25/12 11:06 PM
M
MHawk82 Offline
Angler
Angler
M
I've had rubberized felt boots and switched to Simms Guide boots that are full rubber. I fished northern Ohio on some very slick shale in water that was moving around 300cfs in the middle of winter with both pair. I never put studs in the Simms and I did better than my friends that were wearing studded felt. I vote rubber.

Re: Wading Boots (Felt vs. Rubber) [Re: dfwflyfisher] #7092976 01/25/12 11:27 PM
F
flyfshrgrl Offline
Angler
Angler
F
VIBRAM IS THE BIGGEST MYTH PERPETUATED ON THE FISHING PUBLIC, EVER!

When the evils of felt were being touted, people never stopped to question or think that the shoe's exposed fabric above the sole and below the gaiter is actually a better harbinger for aquatic hitchhikers than the sole, but Vibram won out because nobody posed this part of the problem.

Vibram is slicker than snot, after all, it is a very concentrated, hard rubber, and when wet slippery is its nature regardless the grooves and tread created. I have slid downstream with the moving current when wearing the Vibram soles without cleats. I know some older people who have fallen quite hard as the Vibram-soled shoe slipped, instead of purchased, on the rocky riverbed. I never slipped with felt soles, nor upon talking with those whom I saw fall, did they experience falls (and injuries) until they went to Vibram soles.

Felt is superior and the only way to go, but with states jumping on the "aquatic hitchhikers can only attach to a wader's sole" bandwagon and outlawing felt, many options are not available. I resorted to Simms HardBite Star Cleats and have been happy with cleats and do not slip any more, although I do take my wading staff with me more often than I ever did with felt.

I prefer the interchangeable soles, so I can fish with felt whenever possible and switch to the Vibram when legally required to do so.

Julia Bell/flyfshrgrl
Dallas Fly Fishers President, 2021-present

FishOn! the Fly
Re: Wading Boots (Felt vs. Rubber) [Re: flyfshrgrl] #7093057 01/25/12 11:45 PM
S
sexycarpenter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
I have both and the rubber is NOT as rock solid slip resistant as reported.

Re: Wading Boots (Felt vs. Rubber) [Re: dfwflyfisher] #7093522 01/26/12 01:36 AM
M
mickfly Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
I have Vibram soled Simms boots to which I just added carbide star cleats. They worked fine for me on Spillway Creek and other parts of Broken Bow. I have some carbide studs and Alumabite cleats on order and will test them as well. I've heard the Alumabites are the best, though softer (and less wear resistant) than the carbides.

Mickfly
Fish Friendly -- Life's too short to do it any other way
Re: Wading Boots (Felt vs. Rubber) [Re: dfwflyfisher] #7093571 01/26/12 01:46 AM
S
Steve Zissou Offline
Angler
Angler
S
Vibram offers many different types of compounds used In a variety of different outsole patterns. Everything from dress shoes to wading boots, and all sorts of applications in between. Each compound is a unique formulation.

I too have used traditional felt soled wading boots and a late model pair of Simms featuring Vibram outsoles.

I do not profess to have an in depth understanding of the ecological pros and cons of felt vs rubber outsoles on wading boots; I will defer participating in that debate, leaving it to people more knowledgable about the topic.

I have never fished in boots equipped w older versions of vibram's outsoles... So I can't speak to those either.

But I own a pair of 2011 vintage vibram soled boots and can personally testify to their performance. They work great. Better than felt soled boots I have tried.

That said, to each his own. Felt soles have been around a long time, for a reason. But everything new, fangled and new-fangled are not automatically a bad thing.

Last edited by Steve Zissou; 01/27/12 06:14 AM.

If it were easy as fishin, You could be a musician
If you could make sounds loud or mellow
Re: Wading Boots (Felt vs. Rubber) [Re: dfwflyfisher] #7094267 01/26/12 04:13 AM
T
Tallgrass05 Offline
bill maher's protege
bill maher's protege
T
I used Hodgman felt-soled boots for 15 years on the White River in Arkansas and several Montana rivers, mostly the Yellowstone. I will say the Yellowstone is much more slippery than the White.

Last year I bought a pair of Simms Freestone boots with Vibram soles and put some cleats on. Those have been used on the both the White and Yellowstone rivers. The "feel" with the Vibram is different compared to felt soles. I think the grip is better with the Vibram, and I felt more secure with the Vibram soles compared to felt.

Re: Wading Boots (Felt vs. Rubber) [Re: flyfshrgrl] #7097127 01/26/12 11:05 PM
M
MHawk82 Offline
Angler
Angler
M
Originally Posted By: flyfshrgrl
VIBRAM IS THE BIGGEST MYTH PERPETUATED ON THE FISHING PUBLIC, EVER!

When the evils of felt were being touted, people never stopped to question or think that the shoe's exposed fabric above the sole and below the gaiter is actually a better harbinger for aquatic hitchhikers than the sole, but Vibram won out because nobody posed this part of the problem.

Vibram is slicker than snot, after all, it is a very concentrated, hard rubber, and when wet slippery is its nature regardless the grooves and tread created. I have slid downstream with the moving current when wearing the Vibram soles without cleats. I know some older people who have fallen quite hard as the Vibram-soled shoe slipped, instead of purchased, on the rocky riverbed. I never slipped with felt soles, nor upon talking with those whom I saw fall, did they experience falls (and injuries) until they went to Vibram soles.

Felt is superior and the only way to go, but with states jumping on the "aquatic hitchhikers can only attach to a wader's sole" bandwagon and outlawing felt, many options are not available. I resorted to Simms HardBite Star Cleats and have been happy with cleats and do not slip any more, although I do take my wading staff with me more often than I ever did with felt.

I prefer the interchangeable soles, so I can fish with felt whenever possible and switch to the Vibram when legally required to do so.

I also thought about the other areas that are fabric. That is why everyone should clean their gear. On the topic of felt being better, everyone has an opinion, I formed mine by watching 3 friends slip and fall into 36* water with felt on and I did not even come close to doing so. I really thought since the weather/water was so cold that the rubber would be like ice skates, but they performed well beyond my expectations and I don't think I would ever go to felt again.

Re: Wading Boots (Felt vs. Rubber) [Re: dfwflyfisher] #7099655 01/27/12 04:26 PM
Bassplastic Offline
Angler
Angler
You can slip and fall with either. Riverbed compositions are different, and what works well with one substrate might not perform as well with another.

I think back about all the swiftwater rescue training I did several years ago - we all wore rubber soled boots and somehow did just fine.

I can tell you this for certain, though - felt soles and slick muddy banks don't mix well at all. There's no question in my mind that I have slipped far more entering and exiting a river on slick banks than I ever have wading around in the river itself. In the case of muddy banks, treaded rubber is *much* better than felt.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide