Forums59
Topics1,040,439
Posts13,981,468
Members144,237
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Need everyone's help with my fishing club... [Re: Neumie] #7058470 01/17/12 12:32 AM
Jerry Hamon Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Being the president of a fly fishing club for the last two years has taught me lots.

Here are my suggestions (in no particular order):

1. Have someone come in monthly to present a program related to fishing, kayaking, etc. This could be as simple as someone from this forum who has knowledge of various types of fishing from a yak or it could be a professional from a kayak manufacturer pro staff, etc. This would liven up the program and give them an outside perspective on the sport. (in fact I'd volunteer to come do an "Urban Fly Fishing" presentation which involves bank fishing, kayak fishing, and kick-boat fishing on the fly.)

2. I have found, through teaching high school aged students, that they really enjoy being mentors. That being said get them involved in teaching 7th and 8th graders who are about to move up into high school. You'd be surprised how well that works to grow the program. Those MS kids can't wait to move up and you're creating angler educators not just fishermen.

3. Make sure you have plenty of "OTW" time for your group. Classroom is great but the more time spent on the water the better.

4. Get them involved in RISE, HOW, or some events where they see folks creating a better life for themselves through fishing. THIS IS LIFE CHANGING!!!

5. Find other groups similar to yours and have some small tournaments.

Hope this helps.

My website is below in my signature and it has all my contact info. I'll help all I can.

Our clubs mission is to grow the sport of fly fishing through education, conservation, and outreach. It's working!!!

Owner/Guide at River Crossing Guide Service

(214) 457-3407
revtcf@gmail.com
Re: Need everyone's help with my fishing club... [Re: JAlderson] #7063710 01/18/12 05:21 AM
M
mkdm Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
M
Originally Posted By: JAlderson
Some questions:
Where are you located?
Do all the kids have kayaks or canoes?
Do you get to meet during school hours?
Do you receive any support from the school?
What do the kids have to do in order to sign up for the club?

Sounds like you have a opportunity to build a great program. Bottom line is kids and many adults NEED STRUCTURE. If you build a program in which they can learn and be apart of then it will do very well. I would start the year with asking the members what they want to learn; what fish and type of fishing they want to learn. I am sure there are syllabuses online from other programs that you could "reuse" and make your own.
We are located in east Dallas. Bishop Lynch High School. Not everybody has kayak or canoe. I did purchase for the clu one kayak and two canoes. We meet Wednesdays after second period and usually every week. We receive a lot of support from school. In order to sign up for the club they just come to the meetings and they are in. We usually have an outing, usually at Ray Hubbard or White Rock lake, then talk about it at the next meeting.

If you know of an old Dagger Bayou 2 tandem kayak I am interested.
Re: Need everyone's help with my fishing club... [Re: mkdm] #7063781 01/18/12 06:15 AM
D
District Paddle Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Create a blog and document your adventures.

This creates a platform for you to share your adventures and the knowledge you obtain through these experiences, and most importantly, it displays the accomplishments of your students.

It also promotes your club in several ways: it attracts new members, it attracts potential sponsors, and it increases the public reach of the program allowing you to create a network of people who can provide a wide range of assistance (food, kayak rentals, equipment, transportation, angling advice, etc).

Re: Need everyone's help with my fishing club... [Re: mkdm] #7063848 01/18/12 10:51 AM
B
bert Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
1) Talk to some local guides and see if they will do some species specific or multi-species tips and tricks presentations.

2) To further motivate and educate them volunteer with a local Boy Scout troop to help get them fishing badges.

3) Watch the forums for fly and jig tying get togethers and teach them the art of making the lures they catch fish on.

Good Luck!

Bert

"Ipsa scientia potestas est"-Knowledge in itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

"Beware the lolipop of mediocrity, one lick and you could suck forever" - unknown author
Re: Need everyone's help with my fishing club... [Re: mkdm] #7065376 01/18/12 06:41 PM
M
mkdm Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
M
I'm loving the ideas that everyone is giving. I appreciate them so much. I have been keeping minutes for every meeting that we have had for the last two years...

Re: Need everyone's help with my fishing club... [Re: mkdm] #7067464 01/19/12 05:04 AM
F
Fish ZoMbiE Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
10 is pretty good IMO. No kid wants to be in a club that's no fun. so you must be doing something right. you might open it up to other kids from other schools in your area too. this way youd have 20-30 participating members. just remember you cant please em all.
always asked yourself, what am i offering these kids?
id focus on helping them learn to catch #'s.
HOW YOU ASK?
bill dance can learn em what those green fish like:

flash
vibration
scent
color
structure & or cover
etc.

Also the importance of:
depth
instinct
personal touch
etc.

show them lures that work & talk about the differences & how they are used & why. take em to the water with those lures just to have them chunk n wind em. this way they can feel the different action/vibration. get a couple of bass pros to meet yall out there. take em to cabela's & the outdoor world. set up buckets to flip & pitch into for prizes from the stores & maybe win their favorite lures. take em into the fly shops to look & touch all the different flies. have them talk to those folks. let em learn to tie two knots while they are in there. Encourage them to ask questions. IMO they need to see touch n feel many different types of lures & seeing & feeling them move through the water is important too. Talk to them about what makes it attractive to a bass & why. Teach them to match the prey for the season. Order some blank lures online & have them paint & put them together.
They should be takin pics of fish they caught with those lures. Always talk about whats working right now and why. Submit their catch to the school office/publication for the school news. Feb-March are easier to catch the bigs. If they are catching & having fun they will want to be apart of your club IMO.

Re: Need everyone's help with my fishing club... [Re: Fish ZoMbiE] #7067481 01/19/12 05:22 AM
M
mkdm Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
M
Great stuff Zombie, the list of ideas grows. I just bought the ff which will be something else I can teach them. Humminbird 561

Re: Need everyone's help with my fishing club... [Re: mkdm] #7068253 01/19/12 03:48 PM
B
Baby Huey Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Saw this while surfing the internet. Not endorsing, recommending, know nothing about the vendor, just FYI.
http://directboats.com/fikapade.html

OSHA tries to make the jobsite "idiot proof" then the employers go and hire the cheapest idiots they can find to prove OSHA wrong.
Re: Need everyone's help with my fishing club... [Re: mkdm] #7068889 01/19/12 07:14 PM
M
mkdm Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
M
Awesome. Unfortunately it has to go on our wish list.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide