Forums59
Topics1,040,853
Posts13,988,668
Members144,244
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Please post your best Gulf (or Southern) Flounder Pics & Tips here. #6444544 07/26/11 10:28 PM
D
DoormatzAndBeer Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
D
I'm an avid fisherman that absolutely loves Flounder! Living by the Gulf, more often than not I'll catch a Gulf Flounder when fishing for Flounder although there's still that Southern possibility from time to time. Regardless, all flatties excite me no matter what size for their uniqueness, fight, beauty and taste (when I eat them).

I gotta tell ya that when I caught my first Flounder it was one of the coolest and most memorable moments that I've ever had fishing. Sure, I love catching many other types of fish (especially in the Gulf of Mexico), but Flounder are still the "full package" that put a smile on my face whenever I pull one up from the bottom, ya know? When I caught my first "flatty" ever, it surely was a Merry Christmas reeling it onto my pier on that very day!

Without talking much more, I'd appreciate seeing all of your pics and tips quite alot. If you like Flounder even half as much as I do, I'm sure you'll have something great to say/show about my favorite fish. Thanks!

Worried? Then Just Read the Bible! - - - - LIVE TWICE, DIE ONCE!

Basic Instructions B4 Leaving Earth

JOB 41:34 - "Of all creatures, the crocodile is the proudest. It is the king of beasts."
Re: Please post your best Gulf (or Southern) Flounder Pics & Tips here. [Re: DoormatzAndBeer] #6444906 07/26/11 11:48 PM
A
Alton Wade Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
A
About 20 yr's ago a older guy that I new and talked fishing with alot took me to Seabrook flat's and we waded around some piling's and he showed my the "carolina rig" and how to hook a live shrimp and fish it slow on the bottom. That day I caught my first saltwater fish, a flounder and I have been hooked ever since. I lived in Colorado 5 yr's and I moved back to The Great State Of TEXAS cause I missed saltwater fishing so much. My first fishing trip back me and my cousin and brother-n-law went pier fishing and I caught 2 Flounder before they rigged up, GOD it was great to be home. Now my feet are on my native soil I'm never leaving again. GOD BLESS the Galveston bay system. Sorry if I got off topic a bit.

Last edited by Alton Wade; 07/26/11 11:49 PM.
Re: Please post your best Gulf (or Southern) Flounder Pics & Tips here. [Re: Alton Wade] #6445756 07/27/11 03:20 AM
D
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
D
Wow, that sounds so great and lucky for you! I can't remember what my first saltwater (or freshwater) fish was, but it would be interesting to know. I'd like to think that my first freshwater fish was probably either a Largemouth Bass, "Sunny" or a Channel Cat. Thinking saltwater, perhaps it was either a Mangrove Snapper, Sheepshead or Gulf Kingfish, but I'm not absolutely sure about one or the other like you luckily were. I'd like to think that it wasn't a Seacat, but you can never keep Gafftopsails and Hardheads out of the discussion for how much EVERYONE seems to get hooked on one down here more than any other targeted species, ya know...lol?

In the end, certain fish species that I KNOW that I've caught as my first(s) are these:

1. SHARK - Bonnethead.
2. STINGRAY - Southern.
3. PUFFERFISH - Southern.
4. EEL - American.
5. SQUID - Atlantic Long-Finned.
6. GROUPER - Red.
7. DRUM - Black.

Ofcourse some of those species (like the Groupers & Sharks) were also caught in the other names too (like the Gag Grouper & Blacktip Shark, for example), but the Southern Stingray, Southern Pufferfish, American Eel, Atlantic Long-Finned Squid & Black Drum are the only types that I've caught of those species of fish. The Stingray & Snook that I caught on my pier were very memorable fishing moments too, that's for sure!

P.S. I definitely can't wait to try out my new Kayak this season. I'll really be "getting around" in that!

JOB 41:34 - "Of all creatures, the crocodile is the proudest. It is the king of beasts."
Re: Please post your best Gulf (or Southern) Flounder Pics & Tips here. [Re: DoormatzAndBeer] #6445836 07/27/11 04:00 AM
T
TxHook'Em Offline
Angler
Angler
T
Hey Alton,

How do you hook your shrimp? I will sometimes hook them close to the tail or on the horn. Whats your preference?

Man may defy him...but Great and Good is our God!!!

Re: Please post your best Gulf (or Southern) Flounder Pics & Tips here. [Re: TxHook'Em] #6446122 07/27/11 08:03 AM
D
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
D
^ Just so you know, most of the time I personally like to hook the shrimp up on a jig thru the center of the shrimp and with the hook facing out on the tail if you know what I mean. At the same time, I like to have it so that the "head" of the jig is just touching right outside of the shrimp. That provides a little more "action" to the shrimp and is also a really great way for being able to really "feel" when something bites down on it.

Even more importantly though, I just wanted to say that I was glad to see that you're praisin' our King above! He's the reason we even have the chance to see the beauty in fish(ing).

GENESIS 1:20-23 - "And God said, "Let the waters swarm with fish and other life. Let the skies be filled with birds of every kind." So God created great sea creatures and every sort of fish and every kind of bird. And God saw that it was good. Then God blessed them, saying, "Let the fish multiply and fill the oceans. Let the birds increase and fill the earth." This all happened on the fifth day."

Praise Jesus, for His faithful love endures forever! Amen!

Re: Please post your best Gulf (or Southern) Flounder Pics & Tips here. [Re: DoormatzAndBeer] #6447219 07/27/11 05:01 PM
C
crawdaddct Offline
Angler
Angler
C
My favorite time as a kid was going flounder fishing Mr. Levee. He had one spot we could arncor the boat just off a point. We would rig up a jig with a Chartreuse soft body bait. Put on an unweighted cork (not a popping cork) that would just keep the bait off the bottom. Add a peice of shrimp to the hook of the jig and work the cork slow. Pull towards you and let it fall back. We would fill the ice chest up every time we went. People would see us and start fish all around us, catching nothing. Last time out I found the point we use to fish on. Im going to try it out with my kids this weekend, if that storm stays away. Mr. Levee pasted away years ago, but I bet those flounder are still sitting on that point waiting for him.

Funny story, me and Mr. Levee were out there one day and he hooked the biggest flounder I have ever seen. It came up by the boat and we both couldnt believe how big it was. I was so excited that when I got the net and tried to put it under the fish, I hit the flounder and it came off the hook. He didnt yell or say anything, but he also didnt talk to me the rest of the day.

Re: Please post your best Gulf (or Southern) Flounder Pics & Tips here. [Re: crawdaddct] #6447476 07/27/11 05:58 PM
S
Slo_One01 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Don't have any "tips" for you. I just consider myself lucky when we caught them since i just started saltwater fishing about 10 months ago. Took a job relocation down here to the Beaumont area and BAM it was on.

Live shrimp, dead shrimp, jigs, even caught a couple on a spinner bait. Windy points, grass, next to the bank, over the rocks you name it. Seems like i just have to be in the right place at the right time.

Anyway here's the pics.BTW what is the difference between Gulf/southern?

Re: Please post your best Gulf (or Southern) Flounder Pics & Tips here. [Re: Slo_One01] #6448370 07/27/11 08:53 PM
D
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
D
Originally Posted By: Slo_One01
Anyway here's the pics.BTW what is the difference between Gulf/southern?

Nice pics. The difference between the Southern and Gulf Flounder is basically that you'll clearly see the 3 ocelli or "eye" type shapes forming a triangle on the Gulf Flounder. The Southern Flounder is more like one dark(er) shading all over and is usually bigger. I'll put up some pics to actually see it properly soon.

Last edited by DoormatzAndBeer; 07/27/11 08:55 PM.

Re: Please post your best Gulf (or Southern) Flounder Pics & Tips here. [Re: DoormatzAndBeer] #6448491 07/27/11 09:14 PM
TWINCITY Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I did not see what time of day/night did you fish?

Re: Please post your best Gulf (or Southern) Flounder Pics & Tips here. [Re: TWINCITY] #6448786 07/27/11 10:26 PM
D
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
D
Just the basics for Flounder...

GULF FLOUNDER:

WHY NOT A CUTE YOUNGIN'?

GULF FLOUNDER DRAWING:

SOUTHERN FLOUNDER:

GOTTA LOVE 'EM:

PEACOCK FLOUNDER (just for fun):

I wanted to keep it short, but I thought ya HAD TO SEE THIS!!!

Re: Please post your best Gulf (or Southern) Flounder Pics & Tips here. [Re: TWINCITY] #6448808 07/27/11 10:32 PM
D
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
D
Originally Posted By: TWINCITY
I did not see what time of day/night did you fish?

If you're asking me, I usually fish for Flounder and have had good success from around 11a.m. to 3p.m. Not to say that I haven't fished and had success much earlier or later though.

Re: Please post your best Gulf (or Southern) Flounder Pics & Tips here. [Re: DoormatzAndBeer] #6449174 07/28/11 12:17 AM
T
TXST-JAKE Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
when i was 12 i believe, it had been the first major time i went to rockport without everyone like cousins, grandparents, you know family that dont like to fish. just my mom, step dad and i staying at hunts castle in RP. we stayed the weekend, and i remember it had been kind of a skunking, untill the last day. we live about 4 1/2 hours away, and i dont recall, but something important had to be done the following evening. so why they were packing, i decided to go out one last time. we had bought a lot of soft plastics, and one pretty one in the bag, a chartreuse 3/8 bass assassin jig, had not seen water. i didnt even know how to jig, but i figured that shaking up and down whilst reeling couldnt hurt. and it didnt. [img:left]http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.157126604299926.33796.100000077625575#!/photo.php?fbid=103063836372870&set=a.157126604299926.33796.100000077625575&type=1&theater[/img]

Texas State University
B.S. and B.A. '19
Re: Please post your best Gulf (or Southern) Flounder Pics & Tips here. [Re: TXST-JAKE] #6450207 07/28/11 07:42 AM
D
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
D
^ Your pic(s) didn't come up. Try again though. I'd love to see 'em!

Re: Please post your best Gulf (or Southern) Flounder Pics & Tips here. [Re: DoormatzAndBeer] #6453053 07/28/11 10:53 PM
T
TXST-JAKE Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T

Texas State University
B.S. and B.A. '19
Re: Please post your best Gulf (or Southern) Flounder Pics & Tips here. [Re: TXST-JAKE] #6453182 07/28/11 11:34 PM
T
toomuchmoxie Offline
Angler
Angler
T
nice thread folks..thanks

22' Pathfinder - Stored in Port A
Stuck in SA
Always Planning The Next Trip

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index