Page 1 of 2 1 2
Salt Water ettiquette? is there still such thing? #6246565 05/31/11 04:38 PM
C
conk Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
I am sure everyone out there has come across this scenario. You're wading a flat or polling along a when someone buzzes you or cuts between you and the shore. But i am wondering if this is as a big of problem on the Texas coast as it is say in Florida and some of the more pressured fishing spots?

Does anyone have any stories of this happening to them recently?

Also what are some things you like to do to show other anglers and boaters respect on the water?

Or, what are some of the ways that you have dealt (Hopefully legally!) with jerks like that?

Nicholas Conklin
nickjconklin@gmail.com
Re: Salt Water ettiquette? is there still such thing? [Re: conk] #6246816 05/31/11 05:34 PM
C
crawdaddct Offline
Angler
Angler
C
Me and a buddy were fishing in this cut one time when these kids came flying down the cut. As they passes, I yelled out for them to slow down. One of the boys shot me the finger and they all laughed. The thing was I wasnt yelling at them because I was fishing, I was yelling because there was a sunken barge on the right side at the mouth of the cut. Those kids hit that barge hard. One of the girls sitting on the front of the boat flew off the boat into the main channel. Of course she didnt have on a life vest. I started my boat and we went to get her. Thank goodness she came up and my buddy pull her into our boat. She was actually in better shape than the other kids who were beat up and bleeding from flying around the inside of the boat. Everyone was okay and I pulled them to the nearest dock which luckily was only about a mile away. It turned out only their motor actually hit the barge, the lower unit was gone.

Re: Salt Water ettiquette? is there still such thing? [Re: crawdaddct] #6248571 06/01/11 12:43 AM
L
LandPirate Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
Happens all the time. Too many weekend warriors who never bothered to learn proper etiquette or manners on the waters.

Mike
Buda/Port Aransas, TX
Re: Salt Water ettiquette? is there still such thing? [Re: LandPirate] #6249655 06/01/11 10:05 AM
P
Pferox Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
I fish Cedar Bayou over at Roseland Park in Baytown a lot, man those boats tear up and down that thing like it was a grand prix or something. Many of em are "fishermen".

Once in a while you will see a true fisherman, slow down and cut down the wake for those shore bound.

Duct tape is like the Force, it has a Dark Side, A Light Side, and holds the Universe together. Carl Zwanzig
www.mtpocketstackle.com
www.facebook.com/MtPocketsTackleCompany
Re: Salt Water ettiquette? is there still such thing? [Re: Pferox] #6250003 06/01/11 01:47 PM
A
Ambassador84 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
A
What really gets me is when the fan boats think they have to run there boats "wherever" they want. I chewed one fan boat driver up one side and down the other for running his boat through a protected whooping crane marsh on the Aransas Wildlife Refuge. A Game Warden was sitting across the parking lot listening to the whole thing. He talked to everyone on my boat, then gave the fan boat operator an $850 ticket. YESSSSSSSSSSS!

Man up. Fight the GOOD fight.

Re: Salt Water ettiquette? is there still such thing? [Re: Ambassador84] #6260391 06/04/11 01:21 AM
G
gofishnow09 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
G
The bad thing is; the boats are not the only ones to worry about. You can't get on fish anymore without people coming right up on you. I won't even fish sometimes because it is not worth the fight.

Re: Salt Water ettiquette? is there still such thing? [Re: gofishnow09] #6261153 06/04/11 12:50 PM
L
LandPirate Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
Danged Potlickers.

Mike
Buda/Port Aransas, TX
Re: Salt Water ettiquette? is there still such thing? [Re: LandPirate] #6263503 06/05/11 05:09 AM
T
Tha_Nightshift Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
It's not only boaters that can have a total lack of etiquette....

Just this morning at the Seabrook flats, a buddy and i were wading along with others there...we were working an area that was holding trout along with a boat that was just on the outskirts of the sweet spot....all of a sudden this idiot on a kayak comes paddling threw slinging lures....he actually drifted right over our lines with no regard to anyone around him...i wanted to tell him just what i thought about his dumb*ss ways, but i didnt want to spoil a good wade with the bs....as he stayed there fishing, i decided that i'd had enough...the next cast out was promply landed at the back of his yak....if you're close enough to cast on, then you're TOO DAMN CLOSE!!!....needless to say he ended up paddling away but not without giving a dirty look my way....

we have a BIG POND out there...aka ALOT OF WATER...dont mind letting a person slip in, but when you disregard everyone around you...hmm...you my boy might just be ATE UP WITH DUMB*SS!!!...

tight lines everyone....

oh and if you are the kayak guy that is reading this post...the next time you cross through the zone....my line is going straight in your yak!!...no bullsh*t!!!!

rod and reel is wanted up and down the coast for "assault with a deadly weapon" on the hardhead community
Re: Salt Water ettiquette? is there still such thing? [Re: Tha_Nightshift] #6263750 06/05/11 10:41 AM
F
fishin redneck Offline
Angler
Angler
F
Not totally dead .

To the guy that towed me back to the ramp at cow bayou after I picked up some water yesterday.
Thank's again . cheers

fish fish fish fish
Re: Salt Water ettiquette? is there still such thing? [Re: fishin redneck] #6269387 06/06/11 11:41 PM
cocodrie Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
4 of us were spaced out on a shore line this weekend and i was wading, walking and casting, not stopping and casting, but making a straight shot towards my buddy about 75 yards away to take him a couple cold beers from the boat, and this guy in a blue mosca comes putting up, cuts right between me and my buddy, narrowly missing where i'm casting, he power poles down, gets out, wades to deeper water and starts fishing. i couldn't believe it. there were four people in our wading line, all spaced out 50 yards working pockets shallow and deep and he seriously cuts right between us. i've never seen anything like it. i can't wait for it to get hot and dead wind so all the fair weather guys stay back in their air conditioned condos. i didn't mutter a word, or buzz his boat, or flick him off, but next time if i see him, i'm putting my power pole down inside his damn boat and we're gonna be fishing buddies for life!

sooooo, hey, guy in the dark blue 220 bay raider that was all by your self, in chest waders, a floppy hat, long sleeve green shirt fishing the allyns lake shore line that didn't show up until 10:30am... ah, its not even worth it...

Re: Salt Water ettiquette? is there still such thing? [Re: cocodrie] #6269784 06/07/11 01:46 AM
T
The Trout Scout Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
Quote:
next time if i see him, i'm putting my power pole down inside his damn boat and we're gonna be fishing buddies for life!

Dude that's classic.

It should be written down in a Fishing Bible or something.

Re: Salt Water ettiquette? is there still such thing? [Re: The Trout Scout] #6269960 06/07/11 02:25 AM
D
DEERSTRANGLER� Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
D
We'll being just a coastal angler for a couple of weeks a year for the last 34 years I've seen a good amount of good and bad on the coast. Fishing 4 day's a week on Eagle Mountain lake it sounds like the goobers here go on vacation and take their gooberish ways with them. I, like a lot of people have an Iphone. One of my favorite links that I have saved is this one. Punch in the offending boaters TX numbers and find his name and info out. When you can ask "hey mr.____. Is that a 1972 Cobra Hollywood?" They usually get weirded out enough to leave. It's worked for me several times.

Re: Salt Water ettiquette? is there still such thing? [Re: cocodrie] #6270159 06/07/11 03:16 AM
T
Tha_Nightshift Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
cheers well put, brother!!!!

rod and reel is wanted up and down the coast for "assault with a deadly weapon" on the hardhead community
Re: Salt Water ettiquette? is there still such thing? [Re: Tha_Nightshift] #6270632 06/07/11 10:34 AM
S
skinnerback Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
LOL yes, I can certainly tell a few stories on this subject too but will only tell one because it still makes me laugh. I was working as a deck hand one day on a small private charter offshore trolling for kings. We had two of the biggest men I've ever seen in my life aboard that day, they were brothers. Well the seas were really rough & the fishing was slow, but these two guys were really slamming back some beers. During the trip they began telling stories of all the fights they had been in & people they had knocked out in there lives. Well, as brothers do they ended up in an argument about who could whip who. They weren't mad at each other, laughing they began taking shots at each other. They were really knocking the heck out of each other in the jaw & laughing the whole time, I had never seen anything like this before & couldn't help but laugh & think about how much I would never wanna be in a brawl with these two. About that time, this yellow boat with 5 weekend warriors decided to cut right in close to our stern wrapping up one of our lines in their prop. Well, these were expensive artificials we were trolling so the captain lost his temper & started yelling at these guys. He was trying to get them to stop so we could try & get our lure back, but these guys decided to be disrespectful & called us out.....provoking a fight at sea. One guy shot the bird etc etc. Well this infuriated both myself & the captain, I was busy cranking in lines as we pulled up to their boat to confront them. You couldn't see the size of these two brothers when they were sitting down so I guess these guys thought they had the upper hand on us. Bout that time one of the brothers grabbed me & told the Captain, "hey man, we got this". As we pulled up next to these knuckleheads the brothers took their shirts off & stood up next to each other. I still have to laugh because they really looked like two coke machines with heads & arms. One of them said "hey, come here I want that lure back". Well that's all it took for them, they immediately slammed that throttle down all the way & hauled but. Guess they changed their mind about a physical confrontation LOL! Well we caught a few that day but nothing worth bragging about. We laughed the rest of the way in, some people are just a holes. You shoulda seen the looks on their faces though LOL!

[Linked Image]
Re: Salt Water ettiquette? is there still such thing? [Re: skinnerback] #6304657 06/17/11 01:31 AM
B
Beachbum552 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
B
I have been in the Salt marsh my whole life growing up, I had two Great Uncles that always had a place in Christmas bay. We were right on the mouth of Churchill Bayou and the bay. Now let me tell you something both my Uncles were longshoreman and tuffest old men you could ever meet, but nice as the day was long! As long as My Great Aunt was around, LOL! I seen them guys tie on 1 oz sinkers and go after water skiers, makes passes back and forth at half throttle! The whole time looking back at us youngens saying "Ya'll don't ever do this." If my Aunt was around though man they would tell the ole boys....Look here man let me teach you something..... and never had a problem.

Every since then I have always killed them with kindness and got my point across. Never had a problem, I'm a big ole boy too gurantee but I sure have learned the gift of gab over the years.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide