Extreme Angler
Correction I looked up the snake and it was a rat snake

Re: Snakes are abundant! [Re: Denton Pond Jumper] #6106311 04/24/11 10:51 PM
R
Reaper9789 Offline
Angler
Angler
R
yup, went for some night fishing last night, as soon as i ge tout there was a 22"-24" water moccasin right in the middle of the path. i tried to shoo it with the net and he snapped at it.. i got back in the truck and left..

im really tempted to get a suppressor for my .22 so i can take care of these buggers without people getting angry about firearms..
i take my kids down there, i wont take the chance that they want to "get away" as opposed to striking and killing my children. no thanks bunny huggers, they are gunna die LOL.

you guys think rat shot should be fine for most small snakes right?
biggest snakes around here are 6ft black rat snakes, they can live. the moccasins only get up to 2.5 ft around here i believe.

Our Evolution will depend on our ability to add an "R" to the beginning of that word!
Re: Snakes are abundant! [Re: Reaper9789] #6106466 04/24/11 11:51 PM
C
catch'n??? Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
As soon as I moved to texas I went to bass pro and got some snake boots! I'm not used to water snakes just rattlers and have had my fair share of run ins with them in the 6 years I've been here. Peace of mind is a good thing while I'm out fishing and walking the banks, I also carry a Co2 BB gun pistol with me as well in case they get to close for comfort and chase at me! One shot to the head with that bb gun and he's done! Plus it has 14 shots in case I miss! lol usually I will leave them alone but I have run into some with an attitude problem, then I shoot them and continue fishing. Be careful fellas, GOOD FISHING

Re: Snakes are abundant! [Re: Marc] #6108231 04/25/11 03:12 PM
Chiz Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted By: Marc
Be very carefull right now....was fishing wax creek yesterday and had an emergency happen and headed straight for the bank....well I got up on the high bank clearing a squating place out and saw the sob as my left foot was stepping on it....now I'm not sure if any of yall have ever heard a small school girl hollar out....well mine was about twice as bad.....high stepping it like a mofo and having the emergency at the same time.....well hell Cecil got a laugh out of it any way....it was a mocisan....about two feet long.

I had waders on...not sure if it could have penetrated that or not....be carefull out there.

OMG, too funny!!!!!

Re: Snakes are abundant! [Re: Reaper9789] #6109831 04/25/11 09:18 PM
C
catcrap Offline
Angler
Angler
C
Originally Posted By: Reaper9789
yup, went for some night fishing last night, as soon as i ge tout there was a 22"-24" water moccasin right in the middle of the path. i tried to shoo it with the net and he snapped at it.. i got back in the truck and left..

im really tempted to get a suppressor for my .22 so i can take care of these buggers without people getting angry about firearms..
i take my kids down there, i wont take the chance that they want to "get away" as opposed to striking and killing my children. no thanks bunny huggers, they are gunna die LOL.

you guys think rat shot should be fine for most small snakes right?
biggest snakes around here are 6ft black rat snakes, they can live. the moccasins only get up to 2.5 ft around here i believe.

i kept a .410 with birdshot by the front door. that should be fine. and if it aint shoot that SOB one mroe time hahahaha

Give man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach man to fish, he'll sit on a boat and drink beer all day.
Re: Snakes are abundant! [Re: FishHarder] #6118990 04/27/11 08:15 PM
F
FWSoccerDad Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
F
Originally Posted By: FishHarder
I've never seen so many copperheads anywhere in Texas as I have around Rowlett Creek. They are more aggressive than moccasins and like to stay in paths for some reason. Most snakes will do their level best to get away from you.There is no reason to go apey with fear and get all waller eyed.

Copperheads generally are not aggressive snakes, no doubt about it. Water moccasins are another matter but, frankly, most people confuse water moccasins with water snakes, which look very similar. I used to think you could tell if it was a water moccasin by its aggressiveness but have since learned that water snakes are aggressive as well.

Re: Snakes are abundant! [Re: FWSoccerDad] #6125818 04/29/11 03:49 PM
T
Trent Osborne Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
410 Snake Charmer (410 shotgun pistol basically, single shot) That gets the job done for all the snakes I see out at the ranch which are generally water moccasins and the occasional rat snake because they were eating the turkey eggs

Re: Snakes are abundant! [Re: Trent Osborne] #6126233 04/29/11 05:54 PM
P
Piscatorial Assassin Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
Where is your ranch Trent,most people mistake the various Nerodia (Water snake) species for moccasins. Also, lots of snakes will eat eggs.

This is a general statement/question directed at everyone and no one in particular....

Don't we as outdoors men have a responsibility to preserving nature as best we can? I mean all of nature, not just the parts we like. Snakes, venomous or otherwise provide a very serious benefit to the environments here in Texas and elsewhere, primarily through rodent and other pest control. Some snakes even eat other snakes.

Shouldn't we do our best to familiarize ourselves with the creatures we may encounter in the field so we know how to logically and rationally deal with them instead of the knee-jerk schoolgirl reaction of "It's a snake, KILL IT!!!"? I can completely understand relocating if capable or killing a venomous snake in your yard or neighborhood, especially if their are kids/pets that may be bitten. But randomly killing every snake you see does no one any good. Know your species, just like duck hunters have to be able to identify ducks on the wing, and know which ones really pose a risk.

I think most of you who have this irrational fear of snakes will soon discover that the majority of snakes you come across are harmless.

Personally, I am deathly afraid of spiders, irrationally so, just cannot stand 'em. But I don't kill em. Only recluses and widows get my stompin' boot.... others get shooed or flicked away with a little whining, but they get to live. I know it's MY FEAR I have to manage and not any threat they pose.

/rant over

Brandon McHenry

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing. - Norman Schwarzkopf

Re: Snakes are abundant! [Re: Piscatorial Assassin] #6126448 04/29/11 06:51 PM
butch sanders Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
kill all snakes
if we haven't wiped out whitetsils, we havent even put s speck in the snake population

Re: Snakes are abundant! [Re: butch sanders] #6127172 04/29/11 09:54 PM
G
Gixxer1k Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
G
I grew up around ponds and pastures where there were plenty of snakes of all kinds (native to the area) and somehow, as an adult was still deathly afraid of them. I moved to my house about 100 yards off of the Trinity about 2 years ago and have had way too many encounters with them for my liking. Nothing like blowing a pile of leaves away to see that there are several leaves that are still there and slithering!

Well, after two years (it drives my wife crazy) I have become much more comfortable with them. Even handling the ones that are non-venomous and relocating them to the bushes. My thought is that if it is poisonous and in/near my yard, it loses it's head. If I am in his yard, i.e. the river or the banks, he gets a pass, so long as he is not a threat to me. Just my .02.

Re: Snakes are abundant! [Re: Gixxer1k] #6128361 04/30/11 03:47 AM
F
fish fear me Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F

Last edited by fish fear me; 04/30/11 03:49 AM.
Re: Snakes are abundant! [Re: fish fear me] #6128413 04/30/11 04:04 AM
D
Duckcreek Davy Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: fish fear me

A big ol' goodun!

Dave Morris

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson,
Re: Snakes are abundant! [Re: fish fear me] #6128449 04/30/11 04:19 AM
D
Duckcreek Davy Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: fish fear me

OK Seriously.

"When in water,cottonmouths usually swim and rest with the whole body floating buoyantly and head and neck held above the
surface whereas water snakes tend to swim with only their head resting on the surface and the remainder of the body
at or slightly beneath the water surface."

Source: The Venomous Snakes of Texas Health Service Region 6/5S: - Edward J. Wozniak DVM, PhD, William M. Niederhofer ACO & John Wisser MS.

Now look at this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO8pyZ5CvRc&feature=related

Should help I hope.

Dave Morris

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson,
Re: Snakes are abundant! [Re: Duckcreek Davy] #6128480 04/30/11 04:32 AM
F
fish fear me Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
That snake was swimming across the lake when I took the pic.

Re: Snakes are abundant! [Re: catcrap] #6128662 04/30/11 08:07 AM
*Mr. Fabulous* Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity

Last edited by DontCatchMuch*; 04/30/11 08:48 AM.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide