Texoma Camp Site #581225 03/12/06 10:30 PM
F
fisher972 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
F
Greetings,
My church is planning a camping trip for the youth on a Friday afternoon- Saturday afternoon stay at the end of March. We are still deciding between Possum Kingdom or Texoma. If anyone had been camping these two lakes, Please give us advices as to where is the best camp ground location for kids and adult to enjoy bank fishing, camping, and FUN....

Re: Texoma Camp Site #581226 03/13/06 03:04 PM
C
Cajun Troy Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
fisher972,
I (wife and kids) have camped at Texoma for the last 3 years. We love it. We stay at Juniper Point campground. That is on the Texas side. Its on hwy 377 right before the bridge that goes across the lake.

http://www.reserveusa.com/jsp/commonpage.jsp?goto=/nrrs/tx/junp/newindex.html

You can book a spot online at ReserveUSA.com.

There are spots with electricity and water, and there are public bathrooms and showers.

We just reserved a spot ourselves. I usually walk right to the water from our campsite and fish. Ive always caught fish, pretty much every time Ive gone. Not a ton, and not big ones, but usually enough to keep me busy, and last year, enough to feed everyone.

You might want to check, but I dont think you even need a fishing license if you are fishing in the park. I think its a state park. Better check on that one.

The water in that area is really shallow so you can let the kids just walk out in the water and swim.

Its about $18 for the electric/water sites with a covered picnic table. This is on the east side of 377, as the park is on both sides of the highway.

There is a cool hiking trail on the west side. I tried to manage the trail on my mountain bike, but it got the best of me.

Also, there is a 10 pm "quiet time" rule, which is nice. My loud drinking days over past me, so I like that rule a lot. My quiet drinking days are still here though.

I live in Carrollton and its about 70 miles to the park from my house.

If you like to eat small whites, hybrids, and stripers, this lake is great as there is no min length limit. I like to keep a few to fry up that night, but never keep more than we can eat that night.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/annual/fish/limits_freshwater/exceptions.phtml#T

- For striped bass and hybrid striped bass, no minimum length limit and daily bag=10. Only two striped or hybrid striped bass 20 inches or greater may be retained each day. Culling of striped bass and hybrid striped bass is prohibited.
- For white bass, no minimum length limit and daily bag=25.

Have fun

Troy

eat, drink, and fish - cajun triathlon
Re: Texoma Camp Site #581227 03/13/06 03:06 PM
T
TheFirstNameThat Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
T
I'd recomend getting them reserved A.S.A.P.
I love Eisenhower State Park at Texoma. Since fishing without a license is fine in state parks, that's what I'd shoot for. THere is alot of bank space, but hefty walking up and down steep trails is usually required. I went to Eisenhower, which is a large park, on labor day weekend before and they were TOTALLY BOOKED!
I heard Possum Kingdom is beautiful, but I've never been there.

Re: Texoma Camp Site #581228 03/13/06 03:59 PM
F
fisher972 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
F
Thank you so much Troy and TheFirstNameThatWorked2 for giving me the extensive and much needed details. I know I'd come to the right place for these kind of questions. Thanx! God Bless <><

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide