Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
My TFF tuna trip report (11/05-07/10) #5498350 11/09/10 03:23 PM
SkeeterRonnie Online Happy OP
Super Freak
OP Online Happy
Super Freak
Anxiety, excitement, and an over-whelming sense that we were going to smash the tuna is what I felt the whole way down to Port Aransas. The TFF tuna trip had offish-ally started and I was on my way down to board the "Scat Cat" at Fishermans Wharf. Capt Ty, and Capt "Porkchop" were to be our ring leaders for the trip; and ring leaders they surely turned out to be! This was my first trip aboard this boat, and what a fine work of art she is! What a fine, stable fishing platform she is! The catamaran hull design really knocked the 6-8' seas down to nothing. I was VERY impressed with the ride of this ship! Did I mention how smooth the boat rode in rough seas?? WOW!!!

We departed bright and early friday morning to sporty seas (did I mention how well the boat cut through that nasty stuff?). It was a long boat haul out to Perdido (actually a little sweet spot a few miles off). The new moon really kept the dark seas to themselves. Every star in the sky was visible. I even saw a few shooting/falling stars... But of course my wish of the biggest tuna never came to fruition. I do believe I had the opportunity, if I hadnt quit casting so soon the first night with the poppers.

Shortly after sunset, we arrived at our little sweet spot. The captains new EXACTLY where to go and set us up for our first drift. I realized the bow was full of casting folks, so I quickly switched outfits to my jigging setup. I figured I would warm up with some blackfin, and donate them to the bait pile for chunking. Warm up I did, and quite well... I had forgotten how hard those little football blackfin can fight. I jigged for a couple hours, and became bored with the blackfin battles. I knew that the yellowfin tuna had turned on with all the commotion, so it was now time to switch gears.

After doing a quick tally on baits used for the best catches, it seemed to all point in one direction... the "maguroni" tuna candy lure!!!! It was unbelievable how that bait was the only one getting bit (besides a few high dollar shibuki's). I tied my maguroni(green) on my 100# flourocarbon leader and let it rip! I found a nice little corner at the back of the boat shared by myself and 2 other anglers. We worked very well together, and took our turns at casting. I found the maguroni would get nailed about 1 out of every 5 casts. There was a method to my madness- you HAD to cast out to the edge of the lights and just let the bait freefall on a tight line. The tuna would bite it, and you set the hook and they were on the line. It was amazing! I fished all 3 of my maguroni's, and lost all 3 on the boat hull. That hull really is sharp, and will slice 65# braid like butter with a hot knife! I realized you really need a good windon for the abrasion resistance.

After several hours, and losing my last maguroni around 3am friday night.... I decided to switch to the tuna hunter in black diamond. I had heard that we had close to a boat limit of yellowfin and only fish over 50 pounds would be gaffed. The maguroni's really kicked azz that night and put 90% of the fish in the boat IN ONE NIGHT!!( thats only 8 hours of fishing to get 69 yellowfin!) I was amazed at the productiveness of the maguroni. Only thing I can think of, is the glow belly really emphasizes the bait to become a fish catching wonder!!!!
Well, after switching to the tuna hunter- I did start to notice the BIG yellowfin were starting to surface and hammer the flying fish. Huge explosions were all around the boat. A few explosions and seen fish, were to be had off the back of the boat as well. At one point, I remember looking into the water, and seeing 5-7 HUGE yellowfin chasing 2-3 flying fish off the back of the boat. I was shocked in amazement. At this point, I started my popping escapade. No sooner than I casted and made a half-dozen pops, was I hooked up... A nice 70 pounder came to gaff..... ANd 5 casts later, another. I was beat down. I had caught my fair share of yellowfin and released quite a few little yellowfin that night. I was done. I was asked to keep casting, but told them that I was physically unable to reel in another tuna. I was beat down to nothingness!! What a rewarding adventure this had become! I decided to try and help some others, and asked a couple if they had caught any big ones yet. I found a nice gentleman(sorry, I am terrible with names), and he had only caught a few little 30-40 pounders. I told him to "watch this", and I casted out... a few pops- BAM!!! BAM!!! BAM!!! FISH ON!!! Another 70#er!! I handed him the rod and told him to "have fun"... After his battle, he thanked me and told me his hands were cramping and he didnt want another one... LOL!!

SHortly after, I went to bed (around 4am). I heard a few tuna hits the decks as I was sleeping. I found out that the biggest tuna had been caught shortly after I went to bed on a popper. DARNIT! I should have saved my energy for that bite. LOL! Congrats on that big fish, by the way!!!

The next day, after filling our yellowfin limits, we slow trolled all the way to our nighttime snapper spot. I got som good rest, and recovered slightly from the beating I took the night before. My arms were like jello!.

The nighttime snapper fishing was fun, and I enjoyed just being out there. I caught my limit of snapper, and quite a few beeliners that were more like freightliners. They were HUGE! I was dropping squid and blackfin chunks on circle hooks, with 16 ounces of wieght. We were fishing in ~200' of water and that was a workout in itself hitting the bottom and reeling back up.. LOL!!

I caught quite a few fish, and decided to hit the bunks. I slept pretty much until we hit the docks on return.

I had a blast!!! Absolutely the best trip I have ever been on in my life. I would like to thank TOO, the texas fishing forum, and the maguroni tuna lure for my best trip ever! What a wonderful trip!

Re: My TFF tuna trip report (11/05-07/10) [Re: SkeeterRonnie] #5498412 11/09/10 03:46 PM
trlrman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
great report !

Re: My TFF tuna trip report (11/05-07/10) [Re: trlrman] #5498438 11/09/10 03:52 PM
W
Wilson Biddy Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
W
thats the best writeup i've read yet. great report.

Re: My TFF tuna trip report (11/05-07/10) [Re: Wilson Biddy] #5498896 11/09/10 06:15 PM
TX Grizzly Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
good one Ronnie... but it reminded me that i have to replace a Shibuki of Joe's that i got cut off... frown

Bill
Re: My TFF tuna trip report (11/05-07/10) [Re: TX Grizzly] #5499192 11/09/10 07:45 PM
Super Freak
OP Online Happy
Super Freak
here's a good tip I learned on this trip fishing that back corner wink if you look at how the light hits the water, it creates a pie shaped portion of dark light at 45 degrees off that corner. thats where I got most my blowups or fish. i think the yellowfin hid in that dark spot as an ambush point. that was my secret fishing back there wink

Re: My TFF tuna trip report (11/05-07/10) [Re: SkeeterRonnie] #5499224 11/09/10 07:55 PM
M
moonriver Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
M
Got to be Lite-Liner who gave u the tip. He is the master fsihing big yft on the edge of the light.

Re: My TFF tuna trip report (11/05-07/10) [Re: moonriver] #5499253 11/09/10 07:59 PM
Super Freak
OP Online Happy
Super Freak
I knew from popper fishing about the edge of the light, but yes- brian educated me on technique with the maguroni lure and how to let it sit.

Re: My TFF tuna trip report (11/05-07/10) [Re: SkeeterRonnie] #5499299 11/09/10 08:09 PM
B
BAOSABI Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Great report Ronnie. Sounds like you guys had an excellent trip.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: My TFF tuna trip report (11/05-07/10) [Re: BAOSABI] #5499424 11/09/10 08:43 PM
Super Freak
OP Online Happy
Super Freak
EPIC trip. captain said we set a new record (30 years of history) with most fish caught.

Re: My TFF tuna trip report (11/05-07/10) [Re: SkeeterRonnie] #5500878 11/10/10 02:35 AM
K
Keystone Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
K
Thanks

Re: My TFF tuna trip report (11/05-07/10) [Re: SkeeterRonnie] #5501126 11/10/10 03:43 AM
O
Ox190 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
O
Originally Posted By: SkeeterRonnie
I knew from popper fishing about the edge of the light, but yes- brian educated me on technique with the maguroni lure and how to let it sit.

I was cracking up as I read that because your description of how to fish it was EXACTLY what he told me he did on the trip before.

"There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre." Louis L'Amour
Re: My TFF tuna trip report (11/05-07/10) [Re: Ox190] #5501496 11/10/10 05:39 AM
windfish1 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
It WAS epic. I think if I live a thousand years there will never be another trip like that. I am but a lowly newbie but I can't wait for the next one. I have a much better idea of what to get to be prepared. You guys were were all very generous and gracious with your help and I could not have hand picked a better bunch of guys to hang out with. You rock. cheers

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants" Albert Camus

"It's about freedom, dummy." Kathryn Lopez

Don't think you're on the right road just because it's a well-beaten path. - Author unknown

Re: My TFF tuna trip report (11/05-07/10) [Re: windfish1] #5501650 11/10/10 11:39 AM
Margarita Mojo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Just for grins I put a Shibuki out and fished it like it was a chunk. Just set it over the side and started to feed line out, about 5 min later the lined ripped out of my hand and had a nice blackfin on. Set it back out, this time it reached as far as I wanted it out, left it sitting there, few minutes later heard the clicker go off and fish on. Another nice BFT. Only did that 2 times and 2 fish on. Bill laughed about how it caught fish just free lining it out. I think the macaroni's work just as well and at half the price. I am gonna pick up a dozen or so prior to my next trip for sure.

Joe

Get your Frozen Drink Machine right here
www.margaritamojo.com

PPSEL Private Pilot Single Engine Land as of Dec 18th, 2009
A&P Aircraft Mechanic
Re: My TFF tuna trip report (11/05-07/10) [Re: Margarita Mojo] #5502132 11/10/10 02:41 PM
lite-liner Online Content
Capt. CUDA
Online Content
Capt. CUDA
shoot- you guys make it sound like I'm the guru of YFT! hmmm
I deeply appreciate the kind words, but I'm not that good.....
actually, The old salts like Bazztex, Snagged (the original),
TJ, Grescobia, Mcgolfer, those guys know what's up, & they're who I watched & learned from
Hell, half you rookies just bested my biggest tuna on your first shot! rolleyes
I have yet to beat my first YF @ 100#. as a matter of fact, I really need to work on patience & pacing myself. I worked it so hard the first night, that I really was not @
100%, mentally or physically, when the bigger fish started showing up late on the 2nd night.
your trip was awesome. pretty much the same bite as Quatro, W/ the bigger model fish.(take my word for it, Ronnie, it really happened that way! grin)
there was only 1 100# fish on our trip. did you guys get in the squids?
Who got the Wahoo?

[Linked Image]
Re: My TFF tuna trip report (11/05-07/10) [Re: lite-liner] #5502152 11/10/10 02:47 PM
Markk Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Capt Ty's son Tyler got the only wahoo on the troll out to rig the first day. He said the wahoo was ok but he really wanted a marlin! rolfmao When we trolled up a tuna the first morning, I think TX Griz brought it in. Tyler said that it was supposed to be "his" tuna! woot That kid is gonna be fishing machine when he gets older. I got a pic of him and Darell with the wahoo and need to send that pic to Ty. Anyone have the email for FW?

Last edited by Markk; 11/10/10 02:50 PM.

"I'd rather be a fence post in Texas than the king of Tennessee."

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide