Forums59
Topics1,039,595
Posts13,967,223
Members144,208
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Out of all the possible ways to catch fish which is the most "FUN" for you. #4545006 02/28/10 06:36 AM
D
Don_Morey Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
1st I'm not a troll, not trying to start an argument, or anything else negative you pessimist out there can think of to complain about, although I'm sure there will be some.

With that said. I have fished many styles of fishing for many species and would like to know what has been the most fun for you?

Me personally: The most fun I ever had was when I was a kid with a hook, some line and a partial loaf of bread, free-lining for bream in NC with all my childhood friends. Just getting there was an adventure. There were no set rules, we got there when we got there, explored everything around us, you get the idea. It was the best.

I have cosidered getting some Ultra-Lite gear or a small wt.flyrod and go for some of those bream/sunfish I once loved to catch.

Re: Out of all the possible ways to catch fish which is the most "FUN" for you. [Re: Don_Morey] #4545088 02/28/10 07:47 AM
L
Lindsey Offline
Angler
Angler
L
I'll take fishing for specks under the lights at night. They are very plentiful, hard fighting, and can be caught a number of ways. Many times while while casting for specks along a dock, a stranger becomes a friend. Naturally, you start talking about fishing, then the conversation gets deeper. By the end of the night, which sometimes ends when the sun is coming up, you realize that you must get some sleep. But when you do decide to fall asleep, you can dream of the great memories of the night before catching fish and pouring out your soul to a kindred spirit.

I'm not a chick.
Re: Out of all the possible ways to catch fish which is the most "FUN" for you. [Re: Lindsey] #4545109 02/28/10 08:37 AM
A
Archie Bunker Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
Why would someone worry about being viewed as a troll or troublemaker for asking, on a fishing forum, what kind of fishing is the most fun? Really, why would the thought to issue a disclaimer before such a question even occur to someone? Are people really that high-strung these days? I've already gotten some lessons on the inability of many here to hang with satire and humor, but I had no idea that such an innocent question as yours is potentially troublesome, Don. It would not remotely occur to me to label your post as anything other than an angler asking a question.

I put topwater pike and bass at the top of the list. Smallmouth in clear water will shoot like a missle 20' to the surface to smash a Zara Puppy or TopKnocker. Both Edith and I find this to be about as thrilling as life gets.

Second would be fishing a spoon like a Silver Minnow or Mepps Timber Doodle (with twin tail grub trailer) on the edge of a weedline. Cast past or into the weeds, pull spoon over weeds at slowest speed that will keep 'er on top, then once you barely clear the weeds, let the spoon flutter down out of sight. You'll often see the tail swirl several feet away as the wake charges toward the falling bait. Man, they hit that thing HARD. The weedless spoon costs an occasional hookup, but that setup casts like a bullet in any wind and probes cover like none other. Weightless lizard is also spiffy if you don't have the spoon stuff.

Honorable mention goes to giant Trinity River alligator gar. When they tailwalk and drench my squealing guest amid a 20 minute epic battle, that never fails to being a smile to my face. Shad on a real sharp hook, steel leader, about 2' under a slip bobber. Hang on, Bubba.

I wouldn't, myself, never join a religion that restricted my diet; see, I don't want to get into heaven that way.
-William Fontaine de la Tour D'Haute Rive
Re: Out of all the possible ways to catch fish which is the most "FUN" for you. [Re: Archie Bunker] #4545169 02/28/10 12:13 PM
D
Don_Morey Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
Originally Posted By: Archie Bunker
Why would someone worry about being viewed as a troll or troublemaker for asking, on a fishing forum, what kind of fishing is the most fun? Really, why would the thought to issue a disclaimer before such a question even occur to someone? Are people really that high-strung these days? I've already gotten some lessons on the inability of many here to hang with satire and humor, but I had no idea that such an innocent question as yours is potentially troublesome, Don. It would not remotely occur to me to label your post as anything other than an angler asking a question.

I put topwater pike and bass at the top of the list. Smallmouth in clear water will shoot like a missle 20' to the surface to smash a Zara Puppy or TopKnocker. Both Edith and I find this to be about as thrilling as life gets.

Second would be fishing a spoon like a Silver Minnow or Mepps Timber Doodle (with twin tail grub trailer) on the edge of a weedline. Cast past or into the weeds, pull spoon over weeds at slowest speed that will keep 'er on top, then once you barely clear the weeds, let the spoon flutter down out of sight. You'll often see the tail swirl several feet away as the wake charges toward the falling bait. Man, they hit that thing HARD. The weedless spoon costs an occasional hookup, but that setup casts like a bullet in any wind and probes cover like none other. Weightless lizard is also spiffy if you don't have the spoon stuff.

Honorable mention goes to giant Trinity River alligator gar. When they tailwalk and drench my squealing guest amid a 20 minute epic battle, that never fails to being a smile to my face. Shad on a real sharp hook, steel leader, about 2' under a slip bobber. Hang on, Bubba.

Because I asked a question on what is the best american made fly rod and reel on tff and i was told i was a troll. i guess i just didn't feel like being slamed again for asking what to me was a serious question.

Re: Out of all the possible ways to catch fish which is the most "FUN" for you. [Re: Don_Morey] #4545186 02/28/10 12:40 PM
S
Steve ZX20 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Love to catch Reds on a Zara Spook jr. I have had them come out of the water and hit it going away. Just crazy, but then anything on a top water is thrilling. Heck I guess when you think about it just catching is GREAT!!

WEAR YOUR LIFEJACKET AND TAKE A KID FISHING!!!!

IN GOD WE TRUST
Re: Out of all the possible ways to catch fish which is the most "FUN" for you. [Re: Steve ZX20] #4545190 02/28/10 12:44 PM
K
Ken G Offline
Angler
Angler
K
ANYTHING on a Top Water bite

Re: Out of all the possible ways to catch fish which is the most "FUN" for you. [Re: Ken G] #4545212 02/28/10 01:06 PM
BBrown Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Flyrodding a popping bug for big bluegills in East Lake Toho in St. Cloud, FL during their spawning season......without a doubt!

BBrown.... Semper Fi!

Re: Out of all the possible ways to catch fish which is the most "FUN" for you. [Re: BBrown] #4545225 02/28/10 01:22 PM
F
FL-Fishlady Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
Fishing for Mullet with a rod & reel. Hooking them is a real challenge, but worth every minute of the fight!

FL-FishLady

Re: Out of all the possible ways to catch fish which is the most "FUN" for you. [Re: Don_Morey] #4545409 02/28/10 03:11 PM
R
roger t Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Great question with no wrong answer..to each his own. I may be showing my age, but I have fished from Canada to panama. I have done my share of trolling, downrigging & live bait fishing. Drifting live bait for reds on Calaveras or Braunig is hard to beat. When suddenly that rod tip is yanked down into the water & your reel starts screeming. That, to me is "my kinda fishing".
Roger
Drift fishing tilapia on Calaveras

Re: Out of all the possible ways to catch fish which is the most "FUN" for you. [Re: roger t] #4545461 02/28/10 03:40 PM
W
wannafish? Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
W
Top water

[Linked Image]
2009 Skeeter ZX20 Bay
2012 Veranda Pontoon
2007 Rinker 192
(2) 2011 SeaDoo's
Re: Out of all the possible ways to catch fish which is the most "FUN" for you. [Re: wannafish?] #4545637 02/28/10 04:43 PM
Happykamper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Giant peacock bass on a wood chopper, don't get much more exiting than that.

[Linked Image]
Re: Out of all the possible ways to catch fish which is the most "FUN" for you. [Re: Happykamper] #4545663 02/28/10 04:50 PM
Evan O'Brien Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Happykamper
Giant peacock bass on a wood chopper, don't get much more exiting than that.

i can see that becoming my favorite if i ever get to do it!

I love anything topwater - but getting blown up in the slop throwing a frog is hard to beat wink

REALTOR. Residential/Lake/Farm&Ranch/Hunting Properties
Evan O'Brien - Regal Realtors - texaslakesandland@gmail.com (214)642-6921
Re: Out of all the possible ways to catch fish which is the most "FUN" for you. [Re: Evan O'Brien] #4546412 02/28/10 10:03 PM
B
Ban-D Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
Buzzbait bass at night at a golf course is fun I work night shifts so in the summer after work we go out and throw a buzzbait all night

Re: Out of all the possible ways to catch fish which is the most "FUN" for you. [Re: wannafish?] #4546848 03/01/10 12:31 AM
C
chuckwagon Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
C

My best memories and way of catching fish was when I went fishing with Norris Glasson and my younger brother, Wayne.

I was 12 years old, Norris was 14 and Wayne was 9. We fished in two small lakes owned by Mr. Cline. This was in Charlotte, North Carolina.

We would go out with cane poles and South Bend casting reels on warm summer nights, taking a bucket of worms. After building a big campfire we would commence to catch bass, bream and catfish, stringing them up on sisal twine that we had rolled up from where surveyers had laid out a plan for a road.

Those were "the good old days" and I have tried many times to recapture that mood....feeling.... or whatever.

So far, I have not been able to do it.

Chuckwagon

****Sun sinking low....lines baited.....gentle south breeze blowing...you realize.........I AM! .
Re: Out of all the possible ways to catch fish which is the most "FUN" for you. [Re: chuckwagon] #4546958 03/01/10 01:02 AM
S
ScottEvil Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Flyfishing for Common Carp and Redfish. Hard to beat the adrenaline pumped runs of both fish

Bowfishing sucks
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide