Print Thread
Plumbing Under House...... #4210690 12/03/09 04:22 PM
T
TX Largemmouth Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
T
My house is pier & beam. There is a crawl space under the house that can be reached by through a removable panel on the floor of the hallway closet.
I have been down there one time (this past weekend) to try and find a water leak.

There is a water spigot that comes through the concrete perimeter beam. It is attached directly to the waterline coming into the house from the meter.
The only problem is that it connects to the water line under the house and the pipe goes straight up and then through the concrete beam to the spigot.

As best I can tell, the water leak is probably at the TEE where the spigots pipe connects to the waterline under the house.

I have been burned by too many plumbers to trust having another one come out so I want to do this myself.

I am assuming that I just need to take some sort of digging tool under the floor & dig down to the TEE and replace it.

I am okay with doing this, but I have one big problem....I hate spiders and can't stand being under the house surrounded by them.
Is there a full body suit with mask that I can buy so I don't have to worry about something biting me?
I know I am being a bit of p**** about this, but I can't help it.
There are a lot of other things I need to do under the house as well, but I can't get up the nerve to stay down there and work without worrying about getting bit by something poisonous.

I can't send the wife down there to do it since she is pregnant........ scared

Re: Plumbing Under House...... [Re: TX Largemmouth] #4210832 12/03/09 05:04 PM
W
waydon1 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
W
Go to a paint store and get a disposable paper suit the painters use to spray paint...Put rubber bands around the cuffs....Might try a bee keepers hood over your head....Or call a plumber....

Re: Plumbing Under House...... [Re: waydon1] #4211464 12/03/09 08:23 PM
C
COFF Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
C
Throw a couple of bug bombs in the crawl space about an hour before you go to work.

Re: Plumbing Under House...... [Re: COFF] #4211487 12/03/09 08:30 PM
David Lee Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
Man up and get to crawling.grin

Originally Posted By: FattyMcButterpants
Yes I did admit defeat. Good job back to back champion
Re: Plumbing Under House...... [Re: David Lee] #4211551 12/03/09 08:45 PM
W
Woolybugger Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
W
Long sleeves, jeans, boots, gloves, ski mask and spray a generous amount of Woodsmen's Off which has a higher concentration of DEET. Take a couple of big lights down there because the bugs run from the light.

If you thought healthcare was expensive, ... wait until it's free
Re: Plumbing Under House...... [Re: TX Largemmouth] #4212479 12/04/09 01:19 AM
L
LoneStarSon Online Content
Private Dancer
Online Content
Private Dancer
L
Originally Posted By: TX Largemmouth
My house is pier & beam. There is a crawl space under the house that can be reached by through a removable panel on the floor of the hallway closet.
I have been down there one time (this past weekend) to try and find a water leak.

There is a water spigot that comes through the concrete perimeter beam. It is attached directly to the waterline coming into the house from the meter.
The only problem is that it connects to the water line under the house and the pipe goes straight up and then through the concrete beam to the spigot.

As best I can tell, the water leak is probably at the TEE where the spigots pipe connects to the waterline under the house.

I have been burned by too many plumbers to trust having another one come out so I want to do this myself.

I am assuming that I just need to take some sort of digging tool under the floor & dig down to the TEE and replace it.

I am okay with doing this, but I have one big problem....I hate spiders and can't stand being under the house surrounded by them.
Is there a full body suit with mask that I can buy so I don't have to worry about something biting me?
There are a lot of other things I need to do under the house as well, but I can't get up the nerve to stay down there and work without worrying about getting bit by something poisonous.

In all seriousness, electricity running under the house is a bigger concern than spiders...You may want to turn off the power at the breaker box before going back under there...Also, watch for snakes...Just saying...

Re: Plumbing Under House...... [Re: LoneStarSon] #4212728 12/04/09 02:33 AM
RedRanger Online Content
burro desagradable
Online Content
burro desagradable
True, I have seen pics of plumbers that have died under house by being a little wet and getting shocked

As far as the repair, Home Depot / Lowes make Shark Bite / Gator bite fitting to repair water lines, they are like quick disconnect fittings.

I am not a fan of them, but the are legal by Plumbing Code, and fairly easy for a homeowner to install.

Re: Plumbing Under House...... [Re: David Lee] #4216205 12/05/09 12:13 AM
Kev Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: David Lee
Man up and get to crawling.grin
+1

Re: Plumbing Under House...... [Re: Kev] #4217206 12/05/09 07:26 AM
OldFrog Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Toss 4 bug bombs under there and go down tomorrow with lots of lights. Just turn off all your breakers when you toss the bombs. Some are highly explosive and a light switch or thermostat can blow it up.

Now, Donald...please pick John Bolton for your running mate.
Re: Plumbing Under House...... [Re: OldFrog] #4217806 12/05/09 04:15 PM
D
Duckcreek Davy Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
D
Bug Bombs....Bug Bombs...and more BUG BOMBS!

Dave Morris

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson,
Re: Plumbing Under House...... [Re: Duckcreek Davy] #4217984 12/05/09 05:24 PM
David Lee Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
Day labor.noidea

Originally Posted By: FattyMcButterpants
Yes I did admit defeat. Good job back to back champion
Re: Plumbing Under House...... [Re: David Lee] #4227243 12/08/09 04:03 AM
T
txcntryboy Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Ill do it...how far are you from arlington? Im hurtin for cash in a bad way

Re: Plumbing Under House...... [Re: txcntryboy] #4227260 12/08/09 04:08 AM
senko9S Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
ditto, ill help him and have a liscence, youll need 2 in case we need to kick one of us off of the current.

Re: Plumbing Under House...... [Re: TX Largemmouth] #4227659 12/08/09 11:48 AM
C
chuckwagon Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
C
Originally Posted By: TX Largemmouth

Your peace of mind is worth more than the money it will cost to hire a plumber. Call the plumber. State the problem. Get an estimate.

"Bite the bullet" and resolve to pay the plumber for the work.

If you think plumbers charge too much, ask how much YOU would charge to do the job.

You have probably put more worry into this than paying a plumber TRIPLE what it would actually cost.

Now....let your fingers do the crawling through the yellow pages instead of that SPIDERY crawl space!

Call the plumber and GITTER DONE!

thumb

****Sun sinking low....lines baited.....gentle south breeze blowing...you realize.........I AM! .
Re: Plumbing Under House...... [Re: chuckwagon] #4309897 01/01/10 02:37 AM
J
j.steve Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
I replaced all plumbing under my house and yes, I do have spiders but what i am terrified of is rattle snakes! I am real careful and thought I looked at everything. I was wiggling around and there was some leaves and my foot drug thru em and made a sound just like a rattler. I bumped my head on the floor joists 3 times before I kinda blacked out. I was groggy and I could swear I saw a horn sticking out of my forehead. Got out from under there and looked in a mirror. Yep, I had a knot sticking out like a freakin unicorn. Dang that hurt! I have beat a rattler out from under the house before though. My fat arse can shimmy perty quick if I hear one and caint see it. LOL.
You don't have snakes around do ya?

2 Thessalonians 1:6-10
In these verses, there are dire consequences for NOT obeying the gospel. What the world claims as "saved" isn't gonna cut it! Learn what it is, in an eye opening true story, "Muscle and a Shovel", by Michael Shank.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide