Page 1 of 2 1 2
fishing piers #4123350 11/06/09 04:08 AM
E
eksda Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
E
ever since hurricane ike hit there have been no fishing piers that an elderly or a handdicapped person can safely use in the galveston area. we are not sur if any of the piers in galveston will come back especially those out in the gulf. the galveston fishing pier at 91st street and seawall drive is supposed to be rebuilt but the owner needs investors to reopen. right now we have to go to corpus christi in order to fish on a pier. we have tried the jetties but when you are in your 60s this is very dangerous as we have learned the hard way. it is a shame that here in the state of texas we have not built too many piers into the gulf. not everyone can afford a boat and with so many now getting the flesh eating bacteria wade fishing is no longer safe either. it would be nice if there was a place closer to home as it is now it cost us over 100 dollars each time we go and must limit ourselves to one trip a week

Re: fishing piers [Re: eksda] #4123823 11/06/09 01:23 PM
B
Bill171 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B

Re: fishing piers [Re: Bill171] #4125679 11/06/09 09:58 PM
A
AJ Perez Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
A
How much would it cost to build a pier in Galveston?

Like to buy the land, build the pier, build a parking lot, permits, etc?

Are we talking about 2, 3, or more like $5 million or more? To build something really nice, accessible by wheelchair, a nice store, good staff, 24 hour pier, just a really nice fishing pier in Galveston.

Would about $4 million be enough or does it take more than that?

Re: fishing piers [Re: eksda] #4126254 11/07/09 12:56 AM
W
way2slickrick Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
W
Originally Posted By: eksda
ever since hurricane ike hit there have been no fishing piers that an elderly or a handdicapped person can safely use in the galveston area. we are not sur if any of the piers in galveston will come back especially those out in the gulf. the galveston fishing pier at 91st street and seawall drive is supposed to be rebuilt but the owner needs investors to reopen. right now we have to go to corpus christi in order to fish on a pier. we have tried the jetties but when you are in your 60s this is very dangerous as we have learned the hard way. it is a shame that here in the state of texas we have not built too many piers into the gulf. not everyone can afford a boat and with so many now getting the flesh eating bacteria wade fishing is no longer safe either. it would be nice if there was a place closer to home as it is now it cost us over 100 dollars each time we go and must limit ourselves to one trip a week

Hi, you dont need to go all the way to corpus to fish a wheelchair accesible pier,, theres 18th street pier in bacliff right before hitting kemah, and also seawolf park in pelican island i think its called, if yall are weekend fishers then seawolf isnot where u wunna be at,, send me a pm if you want directions to 18th st pier,, let me know where yall are coming from

"Let's go Fishin"
"I'd rather be addicted to fishin than addicted to crack"
^^^Is what I tell my wife.
"Just because you drive your car fast...does'nt meen your car is fast."
Re: fishing piers [Re: AJ Perez] #4126267 11/07/09 01:02 AM
W
way2slickrick Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
W
Originally Posted By: AJ Perez
How much would it cost to build a pier in Galveston?

Like to buy the land, build the pier, build a parking lot, permits, etc?

Are we talking about 2, 3, or more like $5 million or more? To build something really nice, accessible by wheelchair, a nice store, good staff, 24 hour pier, just a really nice fishing pier in Galveston.

Would about $4 million be enough or does it take more than that?

sup AJ, you know ive been wonderin that myself,, it would be sweet to builda nice pier out in galveston or further down somewhere in port a or some,, did ya see hat pier that the guy posted above you??? now thats one sweet pier

"Let's go Fishin"
Re: fishing piers [Re: way2slickrick] #4126288 11/07/09 01:08 AM
F
fishingjb Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
Yeah but looks like sea wolf completly crowded

Re: fishing piers [Re: AJ Perez] #4127049 11/07/09 06:27 AM
E
eksda Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
E
jimmy bpught the pier last yr for 1.4 mil. on a saturday night it can pull in as much as 55 thousand dollars. i dont know how much it will cost to rebuild it. the one thing i do know is that i think that if you go on ebay you can find it for sale. a lot of us here in the galveston area feel like galveston is trying to get rid of the fishermen from there. there is also talk of of closing in rollover pass and filling it back in with dirt and sand again. i have gone to the web site for the pier by accident but dont remember how. i think i typed in galveston fishing pier or 91st street pier and got to it that way. also san luis pass pier not coming back either

Re: fishing piers [Re: eksda] #4127080 11/07/09 07:20 AM
A
AJ Perez Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
A
Oh yeah slickrick, that pier looks really nice. It looks like whoever built it really went all out to build a sweet looking pier. It's very nice.

$1.4 million is not too bad. I would buy a nice pier for that much. Is he trying to fix it or was is just completely destroyed or partially destroyed? Or does he just need more money to fix it?

If I built a pier or had it built I guess, either me or in a group of investors, I would want to really go all out and build the nicest and biggest pier anybody has ever seen. Just go all out with no expense spared. A nice super long pier, wide with a lot of room for people and a big T-head on the end lower to the water. Nice lights for night fishing, cleaning tables, a nice tackle and grocery store and maybe a little restaurant for people to eat and lounge and watch TV while taking a break from the pier. And a nice paved parking lot. And build it right in Galveston somewhere.

But for now it's just a vision I guess. Just wondering how much something like that would cost? I know at least several million dollars to start, maybe at least $5 million ball park figure to start building or it could go up to $7 million I don't know. To build something super nice.

I can see potential in building something like that in the Galveston area and I think people would go.

Like that line in that movie, "If you build it they will come."

Re: fishing piers [Re: AJ Perez] #4127096 11/07/09 07:38 AM
A
AJ Perez Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
A
I was looking at some stuff and I am thinking it's more like maybe $10 million dollars to start to build a really nice pier and could go up from there. I don't know. Just an idea for now.

Re: fishing piers [Re: eksda] #4127467 11/07/09 02:52 PM
A
aptech Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
the surfside jettys has a cemented sidewalk all the way to the end if you use the surfside side of it. take lots of tackle though and plenty of popping corks.

here kitty kitty kitty
Re: fishing piers [Re: aptech] #4127514 11/07/09 03:19 PM
C
cougar64 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Yeah in freeport they have a pier on the beach and down in matagorda they have some piers on the river. Plus a pier down in seawolf park but i know it can get really crowded. So there are piers to fish on that are pretty close.

Re: fishing piers [Re: cougar64] #4127571 11/07/09 04:05 PM
3245lubbock Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
from what i understand there are plans for some nice things to happen at texas City Dyke--it is going to happen but the Mayor has not told us when--could be a yearly membership and a day use fee--the problem is it is hard to keep clean everyone leaves such a mess--it cost more to maintain than to build!!!!

Re: fishing piers [Re: 3245lubbock] #4127841 11/07/09 07:09 PM
W
way2slickrick Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
W
dnt forget 18th street pier its wheel chair accesable,, the pier it, u might have to walk up the walkway to pay...its on the second story but it has no stairs to get up there its a walkway that winds up to there, not steep either

"Let's go Fishin"
Re: fishing piers [Re: way2slickrick] #4127936 11/07/09 07:56 PM
T
TheGoat Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
18th st pier sucks. I have not had any real luck there. Whiting, small strout, a bunch of hardheads, and the occasional shark. I got broke off by something huge one time, but that loc ness monster was never seen or heard from again.
I wonder though, with the cooler weather, if the flounder come in there. Seems like an ideal place for flounder fishing....

Re: fishing piers [Re: TheGoat] #4128687 11/08/09 01:57 AM
A
AJ Perez Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
A
Did anything happen to the Spillway Pier? The Spillway Pier in Bacliff, TX. I remember as a kid we used to go there a lot and was a great pier, especially at night. I wonder if it got destroyed by Ike or what happened to it.

Also out in San Leon, TX when I was younger, my parents and I used to stay at this place called Butlers on the Bay. It's a little bit south of Eagle Point. The owned a big house on the water and across the street they had kitchenettes you could rent out by day or week or whatever you wanted. And they had a small private fishing pier and my dad and I used to fish at night on it when we were spending time in one of the kitchenettes. And man so many nights we caught so many speckled trout on it. Sometimes you would just get tired of catching so many speckled trout after about 100.

I remember a guy named Terry that had a trailer there and would fish a lot on the pier whenever we were there and we fished many nights there. I know he had a wife and daughter and he was some kind of retired military. But lost his number and never saw him again so if you are out there Terry send me a PM. I know his name was Terry Vaughan or Vaughn I don't know how it was spelled.

Anyways, I don't know if that place and the pier were destroyed or what happened. I know Mr. Butler sold the place years ago and it had new owners. And I remember sometimes we would be out there fishing at night and Mr. Butler would wake up at like 3 in the morning and come out in his pajamas on the pier and fish for a few minutes and catch a few trout and go back to sleep.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide