great looking fish condo, keep it up!

Re: One down 19 to go. [Re: AgSellers04] #4071700 10/22/09 04:30 AM
T
TX0084 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
Originally Posted By: AgSellers04
Ban all hecklers and insulting critics from the TFF!!! we don't need em.

I have a wildlife management degree and am an environmental scientist for a large engineering firm and I can tell you that dropping trees into the lake is a great way to create habitat for all sorts of aquatic life. Concrete, wood, and PVC poses no detriment to the lake water.

Oh and remember, these lakes aren't natural anyway, they are here mostly so people can take long hot showers, fill their swimming pools and water the sidewalk. Look at the big picture and do your homework before you come on the forum to bash people and make a complete idiot of yourself.

Just thought I'd toot my own horn and climb on a soapbox.

Nice job BigJohn, I hope many of fish make a home out of your contribution.

Are you Rex's cousin by any chance?

I completely agree though. The comparison to dumping trash is absurd.

I have been meaning to sink a few myself. I just need to get around to it one of these days. As long as they stay at the bottom of the lake, you're not hurting anything.

Re: One down 19 to go. [Re: AgSellers04] #4072085 10/22/09 01:30 PM
ragin_cajuns Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Ban all hecklers and insulting critics from the TFF!!! we don't need em.

I have a wildlife management degree and am an environmental scientist for a large engineering firm and I can tell you that dropping trees into the lake is a great way to create habitat for all sorts of aquatic life. Concrete, wood, and PVC poses no detriment to the lake water.

Oh and remember, these lakes aren't natural anyway, they are here mostly so people can take long hot showers, fill their swimming pools and water the sidewalk. Look at the big picture and do your homework before you come on the forum to bash people and make a complete idiot of yourself.

Just thought I'd toot my own horn and climb on a soapbox.

Nice job BigJohn, I hope many of fish make a home out of your contribution.

So I should expect to see you posting in defense of people who litter our lakes next time someone posts about the trash around the lakes and what about the legality of it. Where are you dropping those items BigJohn? A Corp lake? Tell us please. Even if it isn't a Corp lake is it legal to drop whatever you want at the bottom of a lake - whether it attracts fish or not.

Oh and mister environmental scientist - I didn't even mention that it has a detrimental affect on the lake - you brought that up. I simply pointed out the hypocracy of those who litter the lake yet point fingers at others who litter. Read completely and comprehend the posts before you make yourself look like an idiot. Nobody said PVC ruins the quality of the water.

I guess you define litter as items you can see that don't sink to the bottom of the lake. Paper, bags, empty plastic bait containers = litter/you can see them. Cement, weighted down pvc, shopping carts, old chevy engines = not litter because it sinks and you can't see them.

Last edited by ragin_cajuns; 10/22/09 01:33 PM.
Re: One down 19 to go. [Re: ragin_cajuns] #4072172 10/22/09 01:58 PM
B
BigJohn Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
ragin_cajuns,

Thanks for the motivation in sinking many more of these PVC type brush piles and many more Christmas tree styles. I hope to drive you nuts by sinking them and every fish I catch off of them I will think of your stupid (oops I cant say that on here). So thanks for looking at this post but you just need to move on.

To everyone else thanks for the complements they are pretty easy to make and they do work. Best part is im building them to attract bass and the first batch is already holding fish, and by early Jan i should have the rest out, just waiting on the trees.

Re: One down 19 to go. [Re: ragin_cajuns] #4072295 10/22/09 02:36 PM
W
westtexgolfer Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
W
Originally Posted By: ragin_cajuns

I guess you define litter as items you can see that don't sink to the bottom of the lake. Paper, bags, empty plastic bait containers = litter/you can see them. Cement, weighted down pvc, shopping carts, old chevy engines = not litter because it sinks and you can't see them.

VERY WELL PUT BUDDY YOUR ALMOST RIGHT... YOUR LEARNING YAY!!!!

BIGJOHN THOSE ARE GOING TO BE GREAT FOR YOU and whoever finds them...

Re: One down 19 to go. [Re: westtexgolfer] #4072430 10/22/09 03:17 PM
ragin_cajuns Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: coryp

VERY WELL PUT BUDDY YOUR ALMOST RIGHT... YOUR LEARNING YAY!!!!

BIGJOHN THOSE ARE GOING TO BE GREAT FOR YOU and whoever finds them...

Wow thanks, I knew that if I just applied myself a little less and put aside any sort of moral/ethical standards that one might aspire to live up to that I could figure out the logic here. And to think that I currently go through all the trouble of taking my trash home with me on every fishing trip. It is such a hassle. Keeping it from flying out of the boat, keeping it contained somewhere so it doesn't fly out, then having to dispose of it when I get home. I'll just keep some lead weights handy and drop one into each empty worm bag that I am finished with and throw it overboard. Yesterday's litter is today's fish habitat.

Re: One down 19 to go. [Re: ragin_cajuns] #4072601 10/22/09 03:59 PM
T
TX Largemmouth Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
Looks good....

I guess you should go ahead and report my bass club since we put out a 16' trailer load of pvc structures in a local lake.

You might have a little trouble though, since we had permission from the C.O.E. Heck, half of them had old tires attached to them.
Call the C.O.E. and you will find out that you to can get permission to put "structure" in the lake...it is actually part of a conservation effort.

I guess I am not crazy enough to follow your logic that trash on the banks or floating in the lake is the same as structure designed to hold algae/baitfish/predator fish.

Fish and other wildlife can't get caught in a brush pile/pvc structure or ingest them like they can trash.

Please try to explain your logic....sane people have a hard time understanding irrational ramblings.

Re: One down 19 to go. [Re: TX Largemmouth] #4072759 10/22/09 04:41 PM
S
Slug-Go Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
No telling where these condos are going but if they are going in any body of water that the OP does not own, have some ownership/control rights to, permission from the owning body, etc then it is illegal.

Originally Posted By: rubberducky
WTF is wrong with you guys!

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/landwater/water/habitats/artificial_reef/rigs_to_reefs.phtml

take a look at that then come back and talk your bull some more

These 'reefs' are sanctioned by Parks and Wildlife Commission (legal) not private citizens who decide nilly-willy what to dump and where. This is hardly the same scenario. If you think there is a parallel between this discussion and your link then I ask you obtain several tons of material, take it to the coast and start dumping in the water. Let me know how it works out for you (after your release of course)

Thanks for tooting If the OP is dropping these in a body of water he has no ownership/controlling authority over (Corp, City, etc) or permission from a governing body then there is an issue. Regardless of detriment to the water it is someone elses property meaning no individual has the right to dump/drop/pollute (whatever term you want to use) in their water without their permission.

If these are being dropped in Corp waters I would suggest any interested party call the District Commander for the water body and get his/her take and the required permission (after all, if these condos are so great the Corp authority should have no issue with granting individual permission to every fisherman who wants to place structure).

Originally Posted By: TX Largemmouth
I guess you should go ahead and report my bass club since we put out a 16' trailer load of pvc structures in a local lake.

You might have a little trouble though, since we had permission from the C.O.E. Heck, half of them had old tires attached to them.
Call the C.O.E. and you will find out that you to can get permission to put "structure" in the lake...

Thanks for illustrating the point Largemmouth, you and/or your club obtained PERMISSION from the water's controlling authority. Had you not received permission then you and/or your club would be in violation of CEOs Rules and Regulations. Most Bass clubs I am familiar with require all participants adhere to local and state regulations (in addition to any tournament regulations), I interpret this to mean if you personally dumped structure without permission and that act is in violation of local or state laws (Corp water for example), then you fished the structure during a tournament you are in violation of the tournaments regulations.

My opinion is worth what you paid for it...

The phenomenon formerly known as Weather shall now on be called Climate Change.
Re: One down 19 to go. [Re: TX Largemmouth] #4073051 10/22/09 06:00 PM
ragin_cajuns Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: TX Largemmouth
Looks good....

Call the C.O.E. and you will find out that you to can get permission to put "structure" in the lake...it is actually part of a conservation effort.

I guess I am not crazy enough to follow your logic that trash on the banks or floating in the lake is the same as structure designed to hold algae/baitfish/predator fish.

Fish and other wildlife can't get caught in a brush pile/pvc structure or ingest them like they can trash.

Please try to explain your logic....sane people have a hard time understanding irrational ramblings.

It's always nice when others help you get your point across - you had permission so it was ok. I never said it was always illegal to sink a structure. There are approval steps to take like you have pointed out.

Thanks for seeing it as I do.

Re: One down 19 to go. [Re: rubberducky] #4073063 10/22/09 06:03 PM
ragin_cajuns Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: rubberducky
WTF is wrong with you guys!

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/landwater/water/habitats/artificial_reef/rigs_to_reefs.phtml

take a look at that then come back and talk your bull some more

rubberducky - your article has no bearing on this topic. Nobody said the structure that the original poster built was damaging the lake - you may have assumed I meant that, but I never said that.

Those reefs/rigs were sunk with the agreement/approval of government entities responsible for the waterway.

Good try though and good article.

Re: One down 19 to go. [Re: ragin_cajuns] #4073111 10/22/09 06:14 PM
T
TX Largemmouth Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
it's really funny how some people will bash bank fisherman for littering the banks or anyone for littering the lake but don't think twice about dumping needless objects in the lake. i guess since it is for their gain it is ok. seems some what hypocritical to me.

my garbage can outside is full but i have some more trash i need to put out. i guess i can just go dump it in my neighbor's yard, or maybe in the lake. heck it might attract some fish for you BigJohn.

Sounds like you think putting structures in the lake is the same as dumping trash in the lake........I must have missed the part where you typed that one should get permission first...... hmmm

Re: One down 19 to go. [Re: AgSellers04] #4073242 10/22/09 06:41 PM
W
whitneylakerat Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
W
AgSellers, sent you a PM

Re: One down 19 to go. [Re: BigJohn] #4073265 10/22/09 06:48 PM
DaveB Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: BigJohn
Building 20 of these and going sink around 20 christmas trees at the end of this year.

Nice condos BigJohn. thumb The pic above will not have the same effect as the pic below.

Keep on fishing.

Re: One down 19 to go. [Re: ragin_cajuns] #4073940 10/22/09 09:07 PM
T
TX0084 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T

Last edited by _Ryno_; 10/23/09 01:12 AM.
Re: One down 19 to go. [Re: TX0084] #4073957 10/22/09 09:12 PM
T
TX Largemmouth Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
woot

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide