Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
I am getting discouraged.. #3998555 10/01/09 05:59 PM
W
Whisker Wrangler Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
W
So I have been on a bad luck streak lately... and I dont mean only catch a few small fish here and there but not big ones... I mean a BAD luck streak... I cant remember the last time I caught a fish... yes seriously..

Now I know it probably isnt as much bad "luck" as it is just being in the wrong spots... I have been trying drifting lately and I havent caught a single fish doing it... I am going over tons of fish, at least my fishfinder says I am, and they are all concentrated right on the bottom or suspended right off the bottom... I am drifting fresh cut shad at Lake Somerville...

Maybe I just need to come up to Lewisville or Twak or something... I will hopefully be getting a guided trip soon for blue cats, so I know I will learn alot there...

I dont know, I get up early in the morning (5:30) and am soooo excited to get out to the lake, but then I get out there and spend 4 hours drifting what seem to be great locations and I dont even get a single bite!!!!!

What should I do?? I am DETERMINED to catch a blue while drifting... My goal is to catch a 20 pounder by the end of the year..

Fisheries Biologist in Training
Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: I am getting discouraged.. [Re: Whisker Wrangler] #3998594 10/01/09 06:09 PM
tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
WW your more than welcome to give me a call and we can go to lewisville and try to catch some. i wouldnt even make you bring your new boat, we could make do with mine.

I live with Fear everyday but sometimes she lets me go fishin
Lewisvillecatfish.com

PB 65#
www.lewisvillecatfish.com
Facebook.com/Tom Gravley
www.youtube.com/gravleybrats
Re: I am getting discouraged.. [Re: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish] #3998660 10/01/09 06:26 PM
T
teckk7 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
make sure you're going slow and letting out plenty...plenty of line.

Re: I am getting discouraged.. [Re: teckk7] #3998735 10/01/09 06:44 PM
B
big shaun Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
you think your discouraged? try having to do it from the bank, on LOP to boot... i've resorted to telling all the dinks i catch, to kindly ask their big brothers and sisters to eat my bait instead of him and his lil buddies... :-/

Big Shaun - "Speak softly and carry an ugly stick, you will go far"
Re: I am getting discouraged.. [Re: Whisker Wrangler] #3998761 10/01/09 06:53 PM
B
BAMAboy Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: Whisker Wrangler
...I will hopefully be getting a guided trip soon for blue cats, so I know I will learn alot there...

WW, if you decide to get a guided trip, let me recommend http://trophycatfishadventures.com/ if you want a trophy. They're great guys and specialize in big blues. They are also great teachers and you will learn alot and shorten your learning curve by years. Just pester the hell out of them with questions and they'll answer them.
Also for learning I can recommend
http://www.creatorsguideservice.com/
http://www.bobby-catfishing.com/
http://www.lancesguideservice.com/
You cant go wrong with any of these guys and it will save you money in the longrun.
I was fishing for kittys for a couple of years before I landed my first 20lber. I had said I would be satisfied with a 20lber until I caught one. Turns out I lied to myself. shocked You just keep wanting bigger. Biggest thing is just keep pluggin away at it. They'll be good days and bad days, it's all part of fishing. The longer you stay at it the more you learn. thumb

http://www.johnnysguideservice.com/
I have come to the conclusion that one useless man is a disgrace, that two become a lawfirm, and that three or more become a congress. John Adams
Re: I am getting discouraged.. [Re: BAMAboy] #3998771 10/01/09 06:55 PM
C
clayton-grapevine Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
violin hang in there WW it will get better.

Re: I am getting discouraged.. [Re: big shaun] #3998779 10/01/09 06:56 PM
L
Lewisville Catfishing Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
Try to focus on finding fish hanging around structure some if you aren't having any luck drifting in open water. Get a good map and look for dropoffs, humps, or possibly some main lake points that the wind is coming into and really pay attention to your finder and mark some fish before you decide to fish an area. I know it is hard to drive around looking for fish sometimes when you could be fishing, but it pays off at times.

I bet you could have caught some fish today fishing shallow with the south wind we had and clouds. Try to find some spots that look like good (bass fishing looking) spots with shallow timber. Good luck to you out there, it will get better the more time you spend out on the water. Just keep trying different techniques till you find something that works... it will make you a better fisherman as well.

E

Last edited by Crappie Terrorist; 10/01/09 07:04 PM.
Re: I am getting discouraged.. [Re: Lewisville Catfishing] #3998835 10/01/09 07:10 PM
B
Bigblue or Gaspergoo Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Hey WW let me ask u this how deep u been drifting? Whats the water temp on Somerville? Are u drifting wind blown points , or adjacent to some structure like timber? These r all big factors in your big cat quest.. It takes the lakes longer to cooldown in that part of the state than it does up here in the metromess.. Crappie terrorist is right watch your structure on your fish finder as well.. Find a pattern that works for u on that lake... Just keep on keeping on, it will happen! Im sure we will see a pic of u and a biggun soon! thumb

"The wife said shes gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time"! I'm sure gonna miss her...
Re: I am getting discouraged.. [Re: Bigblue or Gaspergoo] #3998905 10/01/09 07:24 PM
W
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
W
15-18ft out on the main lake. Kinda a flat I guess no structure. Water temp was 78 ish I think.

Thanks guys!! I will definately keep at it!

Re: I am getting discouraged.. [Re: Bigblue or Gaspergoo] #3998909 10/01/09 07:25 PM
D
Drawout Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
D
Take two weeks off to get your boat all rigged up,buy you a big dipnet and a quality cast net and then go back on the 15 th of october and start putting in some time on the water. Fresh bait will pay off for you.

Last edited by Drawout; 10/01/09 07:26 PM.
Re: I am getting discouraged.. [Re: Drawout] #3998928 10/01/09 07:30 PM
B
Bobcat John Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
I've had my share of bad luck streaks throughout my life. Just keep at it, Whiskers! cheers

Where on Somerville are you drifting? Are you concentrating on one area?

Re: I am getting discouraged.. [Re: Drawout] #3999172 10/01/09 08:24 PM
W
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
W
Originally Posted By: Drawout
Take two weeks off to get your boat all rigged up,buy you a big dipnet and a quality cast net and then go back on the 15 th of october and start putting in some time on the water. Fresh bait will pay off for you.

I ahve fresh bait. I have a nice dip net. And I can't wait to get back out there!!

Re: I am getting discouraged.. [Re: Bobcat John] #3999239 10/01/09 08:34 PM
W
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
W
Originally Posted By: Bobcat John
I've had my share of bad luck streaks throughout my life. Just keep at it, Whiskers! cheers

Ya concentating on one main lake area. Kinda flat area from 15-17 ft. Marked a bunch of fish. I'm not sure what do to.

Re: I am getting discouraged.. [Re: Whisker Wrangler] #3999397 10/01/09 09:07 PM
M
Mexicajun1 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Originally Posted By: Whisker Wrangler
Originally Posted By: Bobcat John

Ya concentating on one main lake area. Kinda flat area from 15-17 ft. Marked a bunch of fish. I'm not sure what do to.
Maybe the fish you are marking are NOT cats? Not familiar with that lake but a clean clear flat area maybe you should try just drifting the outside edge where it drops off into deeper water? I would think the bigger fish would be cruising around the edges and having access to deeper water. I may be totally wrong I'm by far NO pro. I think it's just your "New Boat Curse" brother lol. I had the SAME problem. Hell I fished out of a 1961 V-Hull with NO FISHFINDER, NO TROLLING MOTOR and caught so many fish it wasn't funny lol. Then we bought our "New to US" Carolina Skiff and fished the EXACT same areas in the new boat and couldn't buy a bite lol. Hang in there bro. Take a cheap bottle of wine out and Christine her over your favorite old fishin hole and maybe the Fish Gods will be kind to you on your next outting smile

Rob

Last edited by Mexicajun1; 10/01/09 09:08 PM.

One of these days I'm going to Land the BIG ONE!!
Re: I am getting discouraged.. [Re: Mexicajun1] #3999521 10/01/09 09:40 PM
F
Fishin' Nut Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
F
Are you holding onto your pole while drifting? My brother came out two weeks ago. I fish three rods, spool open, clicker on. His rod does not have a clicker. I outfished him 7 to 3 the first day. Sunday, he held onto his rod and outfished me 7 - 1. The bites that day were very subtle and by holding onto his rod, he caught more fish. My only fish came when I was holding my rod.

Originally Posted by OTFF
He is truly a sick individual.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide