Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: triton [Re: Darrell] #3400370 04/28/09 04:01 AM
Rugby55 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Kingwoodcat - I had either a 1983 or 1984 370V ( I can't remember the exact year), with an oversize 235 evinrude. I say oversize because I think it was rated for a maximum 200HP but the guy I bought it from put a 235 on it. Problem was, no one would insure it. But it ran 75 with just me in it and I could get 72 with a passenger. If I recall correctly, it was 19'.

As far as chine walking - when I took my TR 196 out for a test drive with the dealer (north texas marine), they not only warned me about the boat walking on me, but they showed me how to barely steer it so to correct it while going 70+. They also told me that all Tritons do this. I don't have a jack plate so maybe that makes a difference.

Anyway, I know mine walks, my two neighbors Tritons walk, and my friend in Ft. Worth walks. Maybe Triton makes models that don't walk but the few I"m familar with do walk. And Like I said earlier, I can drive it while it's walking, I just don't like doing it.

As far as rough water, it's funny - a couple weeks ago, a thread was posted with tons of comments on what boat best handles rough water. Hands down, Champion, Basscat, and Skeeter had the most positive comments. Not one person commented on Triton being good that I recall.

Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. Mark Twain.
Re: triton [Re: Rugby55] #3400410 04/28/09 04:11 AM
J
J.M.S Offline
Angler
Angler
J
I like my Triton. After a couple of trips you will not notice the chine walk and you will enjoy the ride. I have been in alot of boats and Triton seems to ride the best in rough water and Tritons have fast hull.

Re: triton [Re: J.M.S] #3402306 04/28/09 05:41 PM
B
Big CountryTR21 Offline
Angler
Angler
B
If you think a skeeter rides better in rough water than a Triton you need to get your head checked. That flat bottom bug boat is as useless as tits on bacon in rough water. I wouldn't trade my 2000 TR21 for a brand new loaded Skeeter. I know more people that have to re-seal the top cap of a Skeeter back by the motor every few months than I know that don't. You never see that with a Triton. As for the chine walking my sig has explained that for years. My back use to hurt so bad after riding in a skeeter in 3 footers and I have been in 8 footers in my trion with no pain and no fear. Heck Ken Cook said it himself the only way he has lasted in B.A.S.S for his thirty years is because he has been in a Triton since they came out. That shows you how much better they ride.

Only women and children are scared of a little chine walking.
Re: triton [Re: Big CountryTR21] #3402354 04/28/09 05:50 PM
S
Steve Schmidt Former RC Guide Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
The Ken Cook article is not the same B.A.S.S Ken Cook. As far as driving any boat it's setup and chime walking goes back to set up. Most of the boats on the TFF are slow compared to boy on Fast Bass and Scream & Fly..

[Linked Image]

Re: triton [Re: Steve Schmidt Former RC Guide] #3402688 04/28/09 06:39 PM
B
Big CountryTR21 Offline
Angler
Angler
B
Ken Cook said that on ESPN when he announced his retirement at the Classic

Only women and children are scared of a little chine walking.
Re: triton [Re: skeeter142] #3402689 04/28/09 06:39 PM
E
elkhartdom Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
E
I have a 1993 190dc Nitro with a 175 mariner on it, 4 blade 25 pitch prop, fully loaded it will do about 68 with two people in it according to gps. It has only chine walked on me once, and that was on rough water, 1 to 2 ft waves, cutting across the bow. little less trim and she smoothed right out. Going to have tri flex steering installed in her soon, only because the cables on her are 16 years old. the motor is just now broke in, has approx 130 hours on it, never had a prob with her. Is it really about the speed now, or is it about the stability and fishability of the boat. Mine is 19.6 long, and has an 86 inch beam and runs really good in rough water. I know the newer ones are alot wider, and go a hell of a lot faster but i dont think i need to go much faster lol

at the sound of my name, fish tremble
HI HO SILVER AWAY!!!ranger Z521,250 sho,black and silver
TD: BMET 6263
http://theboatcentertx.com
bmoet@facebook
"I humble myself before God, there the list ends" Sam Houston
Re: triton [Re: elkhartdom] #3405525 04/29/09 04:03 AM
T
triton26lf Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Big Country TR 21 - I usually don't pay attention to folks signature sayings but since you specifically made reference to yours ("Only women and children are scared of a little chine walking"), then you obviously wanted to emphasize your macho/tough guy mentality, or how you perceive yourself in your mind. I don't know you, maybe you are a tough guy, but I can tell you that your signature doesn't sit well with me ( and that is putting it nicely) because it is an insult to my dad, 2 of my friends, and to my wife.

My dad was a raider in the marines before they abolished that group. This was the marine equivilant to the green berets. He has two purple hearts. He is scared to death of chine walking so I have never gone fast with him in my boat. I have two friends - one served 2 tours in nam and one got shot as a cop. They always request that I go slow when I take them fishing. And then you insulted my wife, who has the highest threshold for pain of anyone I know. She has battled numerous physical obsticals that you would not believe. She is one tough person. So in my mind, you are putting them down because they don't like to ride in a boat that walks?

IN fact, you actually insulted all women when you make that stupid statement. I think you should remove it, but unfortunately I can't make you. Too bad.

"8 footers"? Come on - what lakes in texas have you been in 8 foot waves?

Finally, if you google "triton boat chine walking", you will find that triton boats X series, as well as most high speed bass boats like Allison, Bullets, etc. chine walk, but Tritons X series are notorious for chine walking. I know my two Tritons have all chine walked.

Re: triton [Re: triton26lf] #3405608 04/29/09 04:26 AM
B
bigtexnick Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: triton26lf

i heard amistad and texoma will make you think twice...

--Nick smirk
Re: triton [Re: bigtexnick] #3405737 04/29/09 05:13 AM
M
marlin hunter Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
Chine walk in a boat is not a set-up issue, it is a hull design issue. The boat at high speeds is seeking a surface to set on, if the hull is designed correctly it will set on the pad and you will not have to check the wheel to get the boat to stabilize. The Skeeters ride like the do because the engineers that redesigned the hull in the early 2000's were Jet Aircraft Engineers at Lockheed that were used to designing things that ran a lot faster than a boat.

Re: triton [Re: marlin hunter] #3406343 04/29/09 01:39 PM
T
Texas Fight Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
I have a 06 TR-21. Had a 01 TR-21 before that. My fishing partners have a 07 TR-21,20 skeeter iclass, and a 21 foot iclass with a 300 yam. The Triton will chine walk but the triton IS FASTER THAN THE SKEETER. If you dont mind getting passed on tournament day then go with skeeter. The 07 Triton with a 250 proxs is 7 mph faster than the 20 foot iclass with a yam 250. Oh and its a foot longer. Chine walking isnt that big a deal. You just barley move the hydraulic steering wheel left and right. I have done harder things to go faster!!! Also too I still havent seen that skeeter with the 300 yam open up yet. All I hear from him is how fast the 07 trition is.

Last edited by Texas Fight; 04/29/09 01:40 PM.
Re: triton [Re: triton26lf] #3406379 04/29/09 01:48 PM
J
JiggRip Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Big Country TR 21 - I usually don't pay attention to folks signature sayings but since you specifically made reference to yours ("Only women and children are scared of a little chine walking"), then you obviously wanted to emphasize your macho/tough guy mentality, or how you perceive yourself in your mind. I don't know you, maybe you are a tough guy, but I can tell you that your signature doesn't sit well with me ( and that is putting it nicely) because it is an insult to my dad, 2 of my friends, and to my wife.

My dad was a raider in the marines before they abolished that group. This was the marine equivilant to the green berets. He has two purple hearts. He is scared to death of chine walking so I have never gone fast with him in my boat. I have two friends - one served 2 tours in nam and one got shot as a cop. They always request that I go slow when I take them fishing. And then you insulted my wife, who has the highest threshold for pain of anyone I know. She has battled numerous physical obsticals that you would not believe. She is one tough person. So in my mind, you are putting them down because they don't like to ride in a boat that walks?

IN fact, you actually insulted all women when you make that stupid statement. I think you should remove it, but unfortunately I can't make you. Too bad.

Finally, if you google "triton boat chine walking", you will find that triton boats X series, as well as most high speed bass boats like Allison, Bullets, etc. chine walk, but Tritons X series are notorious for chine walking. I know my two Tritons have all chine walked.

WOW.....Do you allways walk around half cocked lookin for a reason to go off on someone, or are you really that offended? I don't think the guy has any ill will towards anyone with his sig. He didn't aim it towards your entire family i don't think....

Last edited by JiggRip; 04/29/09 01:49 PM.
Re: triton [Re: marlin hunter] #3407792 04/29/09 06:26 PM
F
furim2 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
Take that Skeeter, remove the set back plate, lower the engine, then see if it doesn't chine walk. Set-up issue is the problem. I've owned five TR21s and a TR22, none chine walked. But then, I am Race Boat Man.

Re: triton [Re: Darrell] #3407829 04/29/09 06:33 PM
B
BIG DOON Offline
Angler
Angler
B
popcorn

"giggity giggity goo"
Re: triton [Re: triton26lf] #3407853 04/29/09 06:38 PM
Tejasbasshunter Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
"scared to death of chine walking" "They always request that I go slow when I take them fishing".

It could also be the way you drive.

2013 Texas TBF State Champion

TFF Pledge-"Boom-Boom"
Re: triton [Re: Big CountryTR21] #3408044 04/29/09 07:02 PM
Joefishin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Big CountryTR21
If you think a skeeter rides better in rough water than a Triton you need to get your head checked. That flat bottom bug boat is as useless as tits on bacon in rough water. I wouldn't trade my 2000 TR21 for a brand new loaded Skeeter. I know more people that have to re-seal the top cap of a Skeeter back by the motor every few months than I know that don't. You never see that with a Triton. As for the chine walking my sig has explained that for years. My back use to hurt so bad after riding in a skeeter in 3 footers and I have been in 8 footers in my trion with no pain and no fear. Heck Ken Cook said it himself the only way he has lasted in B.A.S.S for his thirty years is because he has been in a Triton since they came out. That shows you how much better they ride.

I disagree from personal experience in both boats. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion though....

I owned an 01' TR-21 for a couple years. Loved tons of things with that boat and it was good, reliable, and fast. It was NOT a good rough water boat, it flat out stunk. The nose dip on the front end doesn't play friendly with big waves.

My buddies 07' ZX225 spanked my butt in rough water and top end.

I like Triton's don't have anything negative to say about them as a former owner. But let's be realistic here.

I have been in 04 and 05 X series boats though that handled big water pretty darn good. The 00's and 01's, not so much. In my opinion.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide