Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Yo! Mark Perry! #3062340 01/29/09 07:03 PM
The Fishing Physicist Offline OP
YOLO
OP Offline
YOLO
Mark,

Could I get some feedback from you on three Daiwa made reels?

Team Daiwa® TD-Pro Baitcast TDP100H

Team Daiwa® TD-Pro Spinning

Cabela's Prodigy Spinning Reel

Thanks,
TFP

Above all else hold these two things in the greatest of circumspection; government and self.

YOLO=Schiefspiegler
Re: Yo! Mark Perry! [Re: The Fishing Physicist] #3063410 01/29/09 11:04 PM
Rick Paradis Offline
Sausage King
Sausage King
I saw him earlier, in the bakery department at Albertson's...

might be awhile

Re: Yo! Mark Perry! [Re: Rick Paradis] #3063498 01/29/09 11:17 PM
YOLO
OP Offline
YOLO
Originally Posted By: LegendRick
I saw him earlier, in the bakery department at Albertson's...

might be awhile

eeks

nuts
TFP

Above all else hold these two things in the greatest of circumspection; government and self.

YOLO=Schiefspiegler
Re: Yo! Mark Perry! [Re: The Fishing Physicist] #3063677 01/29/09 11:48 PM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
Originally Posted By: FishingPhysicist
Mark,

1. TD Pro 100H is a BPS exclusive. It is basically the Exceler with a black coating and more BB's. Overall its a VERY nice reel for the money. I had a few but honestly I wore two of them out fron shallow cranking but I am very hard on reels. The coating held up well I had 2 out of the 8 I had that gave me issues. Its a good weekend angler reel. Great castability, above average drag and a pretty comfortable reel to fish with. Nice multipurpose type reel but I would probably not use it for hardcore fishing. I spend 200 or so days a year on the water normally so I put a lot on my gear.

2 TD Pro Spinning reels- I only played with one that I had as a loaner. Pretty smmoth.Overall I was very impressed. Has the higher end features you see on more expensive Daiwa reels but still at a good price point. It really fits between an Exceler and a TDA spinning reel. I would not hesitate to use one as a primary reel.I just use the Steez 2500 exclusively for the most part in spinning applications.

3. Cabela's Prodigy baitcaster/spinning- The baitcaster versions were basically built on the TDA 153 frame and format under specs for Cabelas. Great reel overall and usually can find them on sale or on clearance. From working sponsor sales at Cabelas I have noticed they sell a lot of these with very little that get returned. The TDA family was designed to compete against the old Shimano green Curados and the same year the TDA debuted is the same year Shimano changed their Curado. Since then the TDA family has been a nice mid-level reel that is very popular. They sell a lot. Its a workhorse multifunctional reel that should give you very little trouble. Nice thing is lots of parts availability though I have seen few needing repair. The older Prodigy spinning reel is basically built on the old Daiwa Capricorn and another older Daiwa spinning reel that escapes my mind at the moment. These should have the Hardbodyz allow type frame and parts. The newer Prodigy reels should mimic the TDA spinning reel if memory serves me right. Both are above average reels. Great features and dependable. Again I would be comfortable using it as a daily driver.

Hope this helps. Thanks

Re: Yo! Mark Perry! [Re: Mark Perry] #3063921 01/30/09 12:27 AM
YOLO
OP Offline
YOLO
Originally Posted By: Mark Perry
Originally Posted By: FishingPhysicist
Mark,

1. TD Pro 100H is a BPS exclusive. It is basically the Exceler with a black coating and more BB's. Overall its a VERY nice reel for the money. I had a few but honestly I wore two of them out fron shallow cranking but I am very hard on reels. The coating held up well I had 2 out of the 8 I had that gave me issues. Its a good weekend angler reel. Great castability, above average drag and a pretty comfortable reel to fish with. Nice multipurpose type reel but I would probably not use it for hardcore fishing. I spend 200 or so days a year on the water normally so I put a lot on my gear.

2 TD Pro Spinning reels- I only played with one that I had as a loaner. Pretty smmoth.Overall I was very impressed. Has the higher end features you see on more expensive Daiwa reels but still at a good price point. It really fits between an Exceler and a TDA spinning reel. I would not hesitate to use one as a primary reel.I just use the Steez 2500 exclusively for the most part in spinning applications.

3. Cabela's Prodigy baitcaster/spinning- The baitcaster versions were basically built on the TDA 153 frame and format under specs for Cabelas. Great reel overall and usually can find them on sale or on clearance. From working sponsor sales at Cabelas I have noticed they sell a lot of these with very little that get returned. The TDA family was designed to compete against the old Shimano green Curados and the same year the TDA debuted is the same year Shimano changed their Curado. Since then the TDA family has been a nice mid-level reel that is very popular. They sell a lot. Its a workhorse multifunctional reel that should give you very little trouble. Nice thing is lots of parts availability though I have seen few needing repair. The older Prodigy spinning reel is basically built on the old Daiwa Capricorn and another older Daiwa spinning reel that escapes my mind at the moment. These should have the Hardbodyz allow type frame and parts. The newer Prodigy reels should mimic the TDA spinning reel if memory serves me right. Both are above average reels. Great features and dependable. Again I would be comfortable using it as a daily driver.

Hope this helps. Thanks

Thank you sir!

TFP

YOLO=Schiefspiegler
Re: Yo! Mark Perry! [Re: Mark Perry] #3064785 01/30/09 11:52 AM
9874opf Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
The older Prodigy spinning reel is basically built on the old Daiwa Capricorn and another older Daiwa spinning reel that escapes my mind at the moment. These should have the Hardbodyz allow type frame and parts. The newer Prodigy reels should mimic the TDA spinning reel if memory serves me right. Hope this helps. Thanks

Could you be talking about the Daiwa Theory? I've got a Capricon and Theory both 3500--only problem I've had is the bail on the Capricorn wont close by turning the reel handle all the time--kinda hangs up--sent it to SW Parts and they worked on it--it's a little better now but still hangs up quite a bit. I don't use spinning reels enough to really worry about it so I don't.

Re: Yo! Mark Perry! [Re: 9874opf] #3065018 01/30/09 12:38 PM
SkeeterRonnie Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
once you use a spinning reel a LOT, you will get in the habit of manually closing the bail with the hand, to reduce line twists.

Re: Yo! Mark Perry! [Re: 9874opf] #3065496 01/30/09 02:27 PM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
Originally Posted By: ensignjason
The older Prodigy spinning reel is basically built on the old Daiwa Capricorn and another older Daiwa spinning reel that escapes my mind at the moment. These should have the Hardbodyz allow type frame and parts. The newer Prodigy reels should mimic the TDA spinning reel if memory serves me right. Hope this helps. Thanks

Could you be talking about the Daiwa Theory? I've got a Capricon and Theory both 3500--only problem I've had is the bail on the Capricorn wont close by turning the reel handle all the time--kinda hangs up--sent it to SW Parts and they worked on it--it's a little better now but still hangs up quite a bit. I don't use spinning reels enough to really worry about it so I don't.

You would be correct. I could not remember that name to save my life yesterday. I even looked back in some old Daiwa educational material I have and could not find it. Thanks

Re: Yo! Mark Perry! [Re: Mark Perry] #3065816 01/30/09 03:35 PM
9874opf Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
No problem--I picked one up on clearance at Gander Mountain for $49.

Re: Yo! Mark Perry! [Re: The Fishing Physicist] #3067253 01/30/09 09:40 PM
Lynn Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I have three of the TD-Pro spinning reels, 2 2000's and 1 2500, and could not be more pleased with their performance. I got them on sale for $99 and at that price point, I consider them a great deal.

Hope this helps,
Lynn

Re: Yo! Mark Perry! [Re: Mark Perry] #3116072 02/13/09 08:15 PM
Z
zsan45 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Z
Hey Mark what exactly is the Daiwa Capricorn? I've only seen them at Dick's Sporting Goods but no where else. Daiwa's website doesn't seem to have anything on that model. They always are on clearance for $60.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide