Forums59
Topics1,039,326
Posts13,962,862
Members144,199
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Bowfishing with Pics including processing... [Re: USA-1] #2260526 05/13/08 03:35 PM
C
cajundave Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
I hunt with a Diamond but don't feel like taking off my hunting equipment.

What kind of spool do you use on front, arrows, etc?

That's why they call it fishing and not catching!

Re: Bowfishing with Pics including processing... [Re: cajundave] #2261031 05/13/08 06:07 PM
USA-1 Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity

Karios Texas Prison Ministry
http://www.kairostexas.org/
Evil succeeds when good men stand by and do nothing...

Re: Bowfishing with Pics including processing... [Re: fwbret/txfishes] #2262142 05/13/08 11:21 PM
M
MesquiteMan Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
Originally Posted By: fwbret/txfishes
mmmmmmm wild tilapia.......

you could hit them I bet Mark.

If someone does (cheap) guided trips for bowfishing tilapia, I'm the first on the boat.

How about free! Come on down to San Marcos and I will take you out for Talapia. I am serious on this. We shoot a bunch and have Talapia every week or so for dinner! mmmmm, blackened talapia. Nothing better!

MesquiteMan
Member, Texas Bowfishing Association
Fishing? Go with a Bow!
Re: Bowfishing with Pics including processing... [Re: MesquiteMan] #2262618 05/14/08 01:39 AM
USA-1 Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
Mesquite Man - Count me in. PM sent.

Re: Bowfishing with Pics including processing... [Re: Fish_Tx] #2291234 05/22/08 12:31 PM
Huckleberry Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I've eaten gar before and it was damn good! It was in Florida and we had a recipe claiming the meat would taste just like lobster. I can't remember how we did it, it was a long time ago but I think we broiled small pieces and dipped it in a butter like you would lobster.

Re: Bowfishing with Pics including processing... [Re: Huckleberry] #2292182 05/22/08 04:09 PM
S
Steve Watts Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
USA-1,
After reading your initial post with pics I had the boy bowfish for a gar and I tried the tin snip method - works great. Sounds like cutting fiberglass as you make the long cut down the middle. I noticed the meat was unusually tough as I was slicing it up. Decided to use this round for jugline bait but am wanting to try another for a fish fry. I used a spray nozzle from the hose to clean the fillets up and they looked like blue cat meat. Do you grind it up and make a ball to fry or use the nuggets from the fillet? Thanks for sharing this info.

"Why work when you can fish?"
Re: Bowfishing with Pics including processing... [Re: Steve Watts] #2294567 05/23/08 08:58 AM
L
lawmann Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
L
I cut it into pieces about the size of Mcdonald's chicken nuggets and then beer batter fry them. 6-8 pound longnose are the best I have found. The texture is not not like any other fish you have likely had. It is rather firm much like cooked chicken but not the same.

Re: Bowfishing with Pics including processing... [Re: lawmann] #2298370 05/24/08 12:54 PM
J
jt1 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Its sad that a person had to go through this much length to get a positive response about bowfishing. I bet if you were to just post the picks of the fish and nothing of the cleaning there would be people bashing this thread. USA-1,I enjoyed your story and am glad to see you've got the kiddo's involved. Keep up the good work.

2006/2007/2008 TBA Three Man Team of the Year
Re: Bowfishing with Pics including processing... [Re: jt1] #2299500 05/24/08 11:50 PM
C
Chippinslag Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
C
I'm USA-1's brother. The guy in the picture with the tin snips. Steve, I understand how you may have thought twice about eating it. I had the same reservations when I cleaned my first one. Not quite the same feeling or salivation you get when you clean crappie. The meat does seem like its gonna be tough but when you cook it it'll have the consistency of SUPER TENDER chicken. I make mine like Lawman does, with beer batter. McCormick makes one in a blue box. It says, "Golden Dipt Beer Batter" (yup they spell it Dipt). Absolutely AWSOME stuff as long as you don't use awful beer. Puts a beautiful almost fluffy golden crust on the fish. The beer I used was my very own homemade Kolsch, a light German beer. I've never found Kolsch in the states but you could probably substitute a good Wheat beer like Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat or one from Blue Moon. Don't use a dark ale. I recently had a fish fry and everyone that tried the Gar loved it. Even my wife liked it and when she first saw me thawing the gar meat she said she refused to,"cook that [censored]". I took offense but made her eat it anyway and now she likes it, just doesn't care to ever look at another Gar again.

Sometimes when you are cleaning a gar (dead of course) the muscle tend to fibrillate and contract in reaction to you cutting. As I was holding one of the removed filets it continued to wiggle a little bit. Creepy stuff. They are a little time consuming to clean because the hide is so tough and rigid and doesn't remove from the meat easily. That is why we stick with larger fish so that we get a larger meat payoff for the cleaning effort you have to put into it.

Re: Bowfishing with Pics including processing... [Re: Chippinslag] #2299573 05/25/08 12:22 AM
H
Hank1951 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
H
This was one of the most interesting threads that I've read on TFF in quite a spell!! I have also eaten some gar patties that were ground up with green onions, bell peppers & some fresh chopped garlic, then rolled in corn meal like salmon patties & then pan fried, man alive!! you talking about some fine eating now!!I had a work partner that was a lifetime black friend that would go home for supper & his wife would fry them up for mine & his supper with some fried taters & pork & beans with some sweet tea, I gained about 20 pounds while we worked together because one of us would have a feast every night for supper!! USA, I really enjoyed your thread, good job, that really enlightened my ideas of bowfishing, if everyone of them would do like you do, it would be a more accepted sport I think!!

Keep your powder dry & don't fire until you see the whites of their eyes!!
Re: Bowfishing with Pics including processing... [Re: Hank1951] #2302774 05/26/08 02:55 PM
USA-1 Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
Thanks Steve, jt1, Hank1951 and others.

Originally, I thought to just post the pictures of the catch and then wait for "others" to start asking what did you do with your catch (which I find it none of their business for asking). I then thought to follow up with the photos as proof to show the processing. Rather, I wanted it to be a positive post for us bowfishers. My brother returned back to New Mexico and fed samples to several people (around 20 people) gar meat and as far as i can tell, nobody puked (LOL)! They all seemed to enjoy it.

So folks, get you a small bow and keep it in your rod locker. It would be great if someday we can start sharing "positive" bowfishing stories and recipes instead of trying to carve out negative imagines based on emotions.

Re: Bowfishing with Pics including processing... [Re: USA-1] #2303093 05/26/08 05:47 PM
E
Evil Bowfisher :) Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
E
Nice post, USA-1!

Evil Bowfisher smile
Member, Texas Bowfishing Association
Re: Bowfishing with Pics including processing... [Re: Evil Bowfisher :)] #5080496 07/12/10 09:04 AM
D
Don Morey Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
D
Old post but it was a good read.

Re: Bowfishing with Pics including processing... [Re: USA-1] #5080943 07/12/10 02:24 PM
B
Bass_Bustin_Texan Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Originally Posted By: USA-1
Get you a bow that fits in your rod locker. When the bass slows down, catch you a gar or carp!! thumb

I usually keep one in my extra rod locker. It's a blast when the fishing gets slow! I've got a recurve that can be broken down without the string. It fits real nice and can be rigged up in about 1 minute!

You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish. ~Unknown

Open your eyes & look within, are you satisfied with the life youre living.

No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.
Re: Bowfishing with Pics including processing... [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #5082425 07/12/10 08:29 PM
C
carp_slayer Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
C
while bass fishing is fun and hard to beat i found i enjoy the payoff of a big flathead on a r&r much more. then i was drug out in to the river by my buddy with bowfishing on the agenda, i havent been r&r fishing since... we have gotten tons of gar from 6 inches to a little under 5 feet, and i think that that the easiest way to clean them is with a skill saw... i lay the fish flat on the belly and then i nail the head to a board, next i set the skill saw as shallow as i can and run it down the length of the body. flip it over and repeat. i finish it off by cutting the head off and removing the guts. now you can easily seperate the meat from hide without any bones in the remaining backstrap type fillet... i find that cutting it in to steaks about a half inch thick and tossing them on to the grill is the only way to eat them. it will be better if you marinate it in milk all day to draw the blood an gameyness out of the meat. as for the carp and buffalo... i need advice on what to do with them... also i am starting a guide service for bow fishing... anyone looking to be turned on to the extreme skill of fishing with a bow for the best rate just pm me...

carp_slayer
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide