Forums59
Topics1,039,956
Posts13,973,211
Members144,225
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Saltwater fishing gear for a total newbie? [Re: Osbornfishing] #15054798 04/23/24 02:31 PM
S
Sid Post Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Originally Posted by Osbornfishing
I use a 6500 Abu Garcia reel on a 6.6 ft med/hvy ugly stik rod. I have a bunch of them and use them in freshwater and the bay. They are fine for 99% of the fish in the bay. You may need something bigger if you fish the jetty. Good luck and let us know how you do.

banana fish fish fish banana

I'm thinking one of my larger Abu Garcia 6500's loaded with some braid and a new rod will be a great introductory option for me in the bay.

My Jetty experience in Galveston is not something I particularly enjoyed for reasons of the Jetty itself, people around me, and the atrocious parking situation. Pier fishing somewhere else though, is something I would like to try.

I will definitely be back to the Bay! Even if I don't catch anything big enough to take home, the action when you find those little guys is huge fun!

Re: Saltwater fishing gear for a total newbie? [Re: Pat Goff] #15054815 04/23/24 02:43 PM
S
Sid Post Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Originally Posted by Pat Goff
Your equipment is just tools in a toolbox. The real question is how are you planning on fishing? Which might be a hard question if you're just starting.
Boat, wade, bank?
Bay, surf, jetties?
Target fish? Trout, redfish, flounder or something bigger?
Artificial or meat slinging?

Wading is your cheapest entry. Like told, a wading belt for your net and stringer, wading boots and a shirt pocket will get you started.

If you're wanting to use artificial, you do not need a ton of choices, fish are not that picky. I use three plastics, hoagie super minnow in pumpkin/chartreuse when it's dark or clouded water, red flake/white tail when it's bright, and norton sand eel in tequila/chartreuse in clearer water. A spook type topwater, and weedless spoon when the redfish are in the gunk. That's all I carry. You'll figure out what works best for you.

I only use Oldham 1/8 oz screwlock jig heads, 20# braid on spinning rods, 15# ande back country on casting reels.

You might want a heavier head if you hit the surf,

The biggest thing people moving from bass to bay have figuring out, the fish are going to be way shallower than you can imagine.

You'll learn what water holds trout, what redfish like, and the particular spots that attract flounder.

Great post. THANK YOU!

Re: Saltwater fishing gear for a total newbie? [Re: Fishspanker] #15054817 04/23/24 02:44 PM
S
Sid Post Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Originally Posted by Fishspanker
Originally Posted by skeeter22
Rinse the reels off with fresh water after every use.

Also any hooks that got saltwater on them. I take my over the shoulder tackle box and throw the contents in the sink. Soak in soap and water for 30 minutes or so.Then rinse and a very lite spray with WD40.

Great tip there. Thanks!

Re: Saltwater fishing gear for a total newbie? [Re: lconn4] #15054825 04/23/24 02:48 PM
S
Sid Post Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Originally Posted by lconn4
Star Rods, Stellar Lite 7 foot, 12/20 test line, medium heavy... hard to beat it for around $100.. prefer spinning rod for all types of salt water fishing... from the piers, jetties, from my kayak, and even on party boats... with a 3000 size reel... I use it with a Shimano Stratic. Any longer and it makes them harder to transport inside a car and hard to use one on a party boat if it has an awning.. light enough to cast all day, enough spool capacity to not get spooled right away if you hang something big.

[Linked Image]

Dicks, Bass Pro, Cabellas, and several online stores will normally carry them... they dont seem to be as popular in Texas as they are in Florida.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/...3sroustllrltsp7frod/23sroustllrltsp7frod

Thanks! Lots of good info there.

Re: Saltwater fishing gear for a total newbie? [Re: Sid Post] #15055083 04/23/24 07:36 PM
J
Jim Ford Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by Sid Post
Originally Posted by FishDFly
Listen to the above.

Anything you need can be found at Cut Rate in Houston..

Cut Rate Sports in Houston came up as permanently closed so, I didn't catch it on my way out of town.

Did they move and I had a simple Google failure on my cellphone?

Cut Rate Tackle changed to Fishing Tackle Unlimited many years ago.

Re: Saltwater fishing gear for a total newbie? [Re: Sid Post] #15055095 04/23/24 07:50 PM
P
Pat Goff Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
P
You're way over estimating your equipment needs.
Nothing except a shark or a foul hooked porpoise will required that much line or rod. In the bay, now slinging out a dead chicken off the pier in the surf is a different setup, but after a half mile wade with a big reel and rod will have you cussing your choices.

Even a big ugly drum can be handled with 20# braid, 2500 reel and L action rod.
[Linked Image]

Pat Goff
Seadrift TX
[Linked Image]
Re: Saltwater fishing gear for a total newbie? [Re: Sid Post] #15058294 04/27/24 09:39 PM
S
Sid Post Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Thanks! For the Bay, one of my Abu Garcia reels with some braid on it and a Ugly Stick rod should work well.

The Surf fishing was from the beach with a little wading. I need a real saltwater rod for that to get my cast out to different troughs/guts depending on conditions. I'd rather be waist-deep in some shorts with an appropriate saltwater rod than spending good money on waders to use one of my existing rods or a cheap Ugly Stick.

~$200 at Academy looked like it would get me a great conventional saltwater Penn rod and reel that would throw heavier weights and baits than my freshwater gear. Chuck from TPWD was really awesome at showing me why a saltwater dedicated rod would be money well spent in the surf from the beach. It also demonstrated why I want a conventional (closed) reel over a spin-cast (open) reel.

If I was Pier fishing, my freshwater gear could be tweaked to work well with an appropriate rod.

I'm not going to trash a PREMIUM $200 freshwater rod which is spec'ed for light fish (Bluegill mainly) that lacks the strength for heavy surf and reasonable sized saltwater fish.

In terms of costs, one round trip's worth of gasoline will pay for a brand new Saltwater rod and reel so, in relative terms, I consider that to be a reasonable cost trade-off. The $100 combos I tried were simply rough and not something I would enjoy using long term so, instead of paying $100 plus $230 to get the better combo, I'm just going to get the better combo upfront for $230!

Re: Saltwater fishing gear for a total newbie? [Re: Jim Ford] #15058297 04/27/24 09:40 PM
S
Sid Post Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Originally Posted by Jim Ford
Originally Posted by Sid Post
Originally Posted by FishDFly
Listen to the above.

Anything you need can be found at Cut Rate in Houston..

Cut Rate Sports in Houston came up as permanently closed so, I didn't catch it on my way out of town.

Did they move and I had a simple Google failure on my cellphone?

Cut Rate Tackle changed to Fishing Tackle Unlimited many years ago.

Thanks! I'll shop them next time I go down to the coast.

Re: Saltwater fishing gear for a total newbie? [Re: Sid Post] #15059570 04/29/24 03:19 PM
C
COFF Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
C
If you are wading, you will want to consolidate to the bare essentials. I use a fanny pack as opposed to a wading belt. In the pouch goes a couple bags of soft plastics, a popping cork, and a waterproof plano box with terminal tackle and a topwater lure (typically a super spook). I will typically have a couple 2' and 3' leaders made up with swivels on the end for quick depth changes.

On the belt of the fanny pack is a pair of pliers and a plastic lip grip, both attached with lanyards. I don't carry a net, but can see the value in it. I've definitely lost a few fish by not having one.

If I am planning to keep anything, then a saltwater stringer - the kind with the smooth plastic cord as opposed to the braided rope. Stringer is 20' long and attaches to the belt with velcro that I can quickly remove. It only takes one 6' blacktip tugging at fish on your 10' stringer to make you learn that lesson.

Re: Saltwater fishing gear for a total newbie? [Re: Sid Post] #15059660 04/29/24 04:40 PM
P
Pat Goff Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
P
Nothing like a bull shark dragging you out to sea to make you reconsider life choices.

Pat Goff
Seadrift TX
[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide