Forums59
Topics1,039,631
Posts13,968,090
Members144,210
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Semiconductor plants in Central Texas [Re: Texan Til I Die] #15046908 04/15/24 04:55 PM
T Bird Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Texan Til I Die
Originally Posted by Crowbar
The one in Taylor (not Austin) is absolutely massive and well underway. It is amazing the infrastructure they are putting in to support this campus. It is claimed it will the largest structure (square footage under roof) on the entire planet.

I still haven't figured out where they will get the water for that plant. Semiconductor plants require massive amounts of water and that area doesn't have any large lakes. I assume they have the logistics worked out, but I wouldn't be surprised if we hit a multi-year drought and find out that some local water district oversold and under delivered.

They're sucking more from Stillhouse & Belton under new agreement just approved. bang

Okie by birth, Texan by choice.
[Linked Image]
USAF "Thunderbirds" Alumni 1985-1989

Re: Semiconductor plants in Central Texas [Re: Mark Perry] #15046911 04/15/24 04:58 PM
BlueNitro Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I added Samsung as a client back in 2001 and we have been supporting Austin and now Taylor. That is one huge project and I only hope that I can get at least 1% of that money from Biden. Hell, he has been screwing me out of a lot more than that over the past three years.

We work at most of the major semiconductor facilities and it has been unprecedented with the amount of work that is being done. I have been in the industry for the past 40+ years and this has been one of the largest capacity increases that I have seen. Just hope it extends until I'm ready to retire (and all indicators point to it lasting for the next 5 - 10 years).

Add the pharmaceutical industry and we have been running at full capacity for the last three years.

LiftSaver Trolling Motor Mounting Bracket - Patent Pending and LiftSaver Transducer Pole Mount
www.liftsavertmmount.com
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Works with MG Xi5, Xi3 and MK Terrova, Ulterra, PD V2 and Riptides as well.

Re: Semiconductor plants in Central Texas [Re: Texan Til I Die] #15046967 04/15/24 05:53 PM
hopalong Offline
Pescador Loco
Pescador Loco
Originally Posted by Texan Til I Die
Originally Posted by Crowbar
The one in Taylor (not Austin) is absolutely massive and well underway. It is amazing the infrastructure they are putting in to support this campus. It is claimed it will the largest structure (square footage under roof) on the entire planet.

I still haven't figured out where they will get the water for that plant. Semiconductor plants require massive amounts of water and that area doesn't have any large lakes. I assume they have the logistics worked out, but I wouldn't be surprised if we hit a multi-year drought and find out that some local water district oversold and under delivered.

they can probably tap the edwards aquifer, if that is the plan it will really p.o. people come about august when it drops.

they don't rely on lakes like we do up here, the aquifer is the main source. water quality is excellent due to the limestone

Re: Semiconductor plants in Central Texas [Re: Techfisher] #15046980 04/15/24 06:00 PM
S
Sawhorse Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by Techfisher
I was accused of being xenophobic.

I’m not saying you were…but you probably were.

Re: Semiconductor plants in Central Texas [Re: Mark Perry] #15046994 04/15/24 06:07 PM
T
Techfisher Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Well sawhorse if I was doesn't mean I wasn't right. It's played out just like I said it probably would.

Re: Semiconductor plants in Central Texas [Re: Mark Perry] #15047017 04/15/24 06:28 PM
texcajun Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
It's about time. We were one of the leaders (if not the top dog) in this industry back in the 80's and 90's. The company I work for built the sputtering machines used to make IC chips and was damn good at it. They had well paying jobs for youngsters that didn't require a college degree. But as that technology slowly started eroding away, we got out of that business. Now we are strictly in the medical sector. Still paying well, just not in the semiconductor world anymore. It'll be nice to have those jobs back on American soil.

2002 Scandy White, 2002 Yamaha 90
Point me towards the water!
Re: Semiconductor plants in Central Texas [Re: BlueNitro] #15047027 04/15/24 06:41 PM
G
grandbassslayer Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
G
Originally Posted by BlueNitro
I added Samsung as a client back in 2001 and we have been supporting Austin and now Taylor. That is one huge project and I only hope that I can get at least 1% of that money from Biden. Hell, he has been screwing me out of a lot more than that over the past three years.

We work at most of the major semiconductor facilities and it has been unprecedented with the amount of work that is being done. I have been in the industry for the past 40+ years and this has been one of the largest capacity increases that I have seen. Just hope it extends until I'm ready to retire (and all indicators point to it lasting for the next 5 - 10 years).

Add the pharmaceutical industry and we have been running at full capacity for the last three years.

What line of work are you in?

Re: Semiconductor plants in Central Texas [Re: Mark Perry] #15047031 04/15/24 06:45 PM
machinist Online Sleepy
TFF Team Angler
Online Sleepy
TFF Team Angler
You see all of these large chip companies going in and we are already in a electrical power crunch. Where is the power to run theses places going to come from? Obama made EPA regs that shutdown our lignite plants. You can’t start them back up because they have been torn down. So where?

I fish on the edge and stay out of the middle

99 BassCat Jag w/225 Merc Optimax
Retired TXU Outage Manager
Re: Semiconductor plants in Central Texas [Re: Mark Perry] #15047146 04/15/24 08:11 PM
R
ReelBusy Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
R
Good to have technology within the TX borders, make seceding more successful.

wink

Re: Semiconductor plants in Central Texas [Re: machinist] #15047152 04/15/24 08:14 PM
hopalong Offline
Pescador Loco
Pescador Loco
Originally Posted by machinist
You see all of these large chip companies going in and we are already in a electrical power crunch. Where is the power to run theses places going to come from? Obama made EPA regs that shutdown our lignite plants. You can’t start them back up because they have been torn down. So where?

well, there you go again! hold it down or you will spoil the apocalypse. sheeeeeeeesh man! roflmao

Re: Semiconductor plants in Central Texas [Re: Mark Perry] #15047169 04/15/24 08:41 PM
W
Wylie Jeff Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
W
Worked 25 years in this industry. Degrees may get you in the door, but being able to fix stuff(thank you Navy electronics training) turned into a great paying JOB.

Keep looking forward. That’s why windshields are larger than rear view mirrors.
Re: Semiconductor plants in Central Texas [Re: grandbassslayer] #15047250 04/15/24 09:47 PM
BlueNitro Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by grandbassslayer

What line of work are you in?

I am the Director of Sales for a Quality Control company that supports both industries. We provide QAR inspection services during the installations of the process systems (gas, water, chemicals, etc.) and for the semiconductor industry we also perform the leak integrity and analytical testing for the process systems.

So to summarize, I am a high paid pimp that tries to keep a hundred inspectors and test techs actively employed. What services the inspectors/test techs perform is dependent on what the customer is willing to pay for.

LiftSaver Trolling Motor Mounting Bracket - Patent Pending and LiftSaver Transducer Pole Mount
www.liftsavertmmount.com
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Works with MG Xi5, Xi3 and MK Terrova, Ulterra, PD V2 and Riptides as well.

Re: Semiconductor plants in Central Texas [Re: BlueNitro] #15047253 04/15/24 09:52 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
T
You know that's going to end up in someone's sig line. roflmao

So to summarize, I am a high paid pimp

"If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Re: Semiconductor plants in Central Texas [Re: machinist] #15047571 04/16/24 10:03 AM
Q
Quillback Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Q
Originally Posted by machinist

That's something there is concern over. Server farms for AI also suck up power. As we're building this stuff we also need to build out the power gird to support it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide