Re: James Watson…. [Re: sprigsss] #15035503 04/03/24 04:25 PM
S
SoonerDG Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted by sprigsss
Originally Posted by SoonerDG
MLF is a growing company, trying to find the right path forward to ensure the long-term success of the business. I realize that a LOT (not all) bass fishermen have no understanding at all of how to run a company, let alone build one from the ground up. So, they see these changes as an error in management. Unfortunately, companies sometimes have to make tough decisions to ensure the continued survival of the company. And these decisions are not usually popular. However, they ARE usually what's best for the company. MLF is still in its infancy. Everyone seems to forget the dozens of make overs to Bassmaster before the Elite series path stuck and became somewhat successful. The Bassmaster tournament series has changed ownership a number of times! Heck, it's changed ownership even since the Elite Series was founded. All in an effort to secure the company's long-term success. MLF will, most likely, find their feet. Having 2 professional tournament trails is a GOOD thing. It gives significantly more anglers the opportunity to make a living as a professional fisherman.

I personally like MLF. And I personally like the Elites. I can see that there is room for both, and the competition is good, and the significantly more opportunities are good. I also understand that tough decisions have to be made.

All that said, banning James Watson is just asinine. Did he go a bit over the top, of course he did. But a 2-year ban is just overkill. He's entitled to his opinion. And he's entitled to share it. But his opinion is only looking at the situation divided by him. And how it affects him. I get it, he's upset. I've had to make the tough decision of reducing headcount/resources and it's never popular with those it affects. And even those that weren't affected sometimes weren't happy because they don't understand how to run a business. But those who were able to remain and are now part of a company that came back stronger and more profitable are now very happy the decision was made. James should have been allowed to voice his opinions and everyone could just see what comes out in the wash. He's either going to be right or he's going to be wrong. Banning him is simply not the right thing to do. At least based on what's out there right now.

One thing I do know is that Boyd Duckett and the other owners know how to build a business. They've made themselves rich doing exactly that. Their decisions aren't always popular. But they're usually right. If everyone always agreed with what they did then they wouldn't be doing their job.

The "situation" will affect 35 current BPT Anglers, not Watson Only.

The new rules will also affect rookies. It will be much more difficult for rookies to maintain standing since they don't have a career average aoy standings. Its technically possible to finish 11th in AOY points and not qualify (although highly unlikely).

I completely understand that. And it's unfortunate that the decisions had to be made. But these guys are running a business. Not a charity for bass fisherman. It's not their job to make it easy for the rookies. It's their job to make sure there is a tournament trail for guys to fish for years to come! And I said Watson (and anyone else) should be allowed to share their opinions. I do not agree with him being suspended.

"Life is a matter of luck and the odds of success are in no way enhanced by extreme caution." - Erich Topp, German U-boat Commander, 1943.

When in doubt, set the hook.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: James Watson…. [Re: Strugglebus] #15035504 04/03/24 04:26 PM
S
SoonerDG Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted by Strugglebus
MLF is a growing company, trying to find the right path forward to ensure the long-term success of the business. I realize that a LOT (not all) bass fishermen have no understanding at all of how to run a company, let alone build one from the ground up. So, they see these changes as an error in management. Unfortunately, companies sometimes have to make tough decisions to ensure the continued survival of the company. And these decisions are not usually popular. However, they ARE usually what's best for the company. MLF is still in its infancy. Everyone seems to forget the dozens of make overs to Bassmaster before the Elite series path stuck and became somewhat successful. The Bassmaster tournament series has changed ownership a number of times! Heck, it's changed ownership even since the Elite Series was founded. All in an effort to secure the company's long-term success. MLF will, most likely, find their feet. Having 2 professional tournament trails is a GOOD thing. It gives significantly more anglers the opportunity to make a living as a professional fisherman.

I personally like MLF. And I personally like the Elites. I can see that there is room for both, and the competition is good, and the significantly more opportunities are good. I also understand that tough decisions have to be made.

All that said, banning James Watson is just asinine. Did he go a bit over the top, of course he did. But a 2-year ban is just overkill. He's entitled to his opinion. And he's entitled to share it. But his opinion is only looking at the situation divided by him. And how it affects him. I get it, he's upset. I've had to make the tough decision of reducing headcount/resources and it's never popular with those it affects. And even those that weren't affected sometimes weren't happy because they don't understand how to run a business. But those who were able to remain and are now part of a company that came back stronger and more profitable are now very happy the decision was made. James should have been allowed to voice his opinions and everyone could just see what comes out in the wash. He's either going to be right or he's going to be wrong. Banning him is simply not the right thing to do. At least based on what's out there right now.

One thing I do know is that Boyd Duckett and the other owners know how to build a business. They've made themselves rich doing exactly that. Their decisions aren't always popular. But they're usually right. If everyone always agreed with what they did then they wouldn't be doing their job.

Sorry, bud. That made way too much sense and was way too thought out and reasonable. You are about to get blasted.

LOL yeah, I know.

"Life is a matter of luck and the odds of success are in no way enhanced by extreme caution." - Erich Topp, German U-boat Commander, 1943.

Re: James Watson…. [Re: SoonerDG] #15035541 04/03/24 04:53 PM
S
sprigsss Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S

I completely understand that. And it's unfortunate that the decisions had to be made. But these guys are running a business. Not a charity for bass fisherman. It's not their job to make it easy for the rookies. It's their job to make sure there is a tournament trail for guys to fish for years to come! And I said Watson (and anyone else) should be allowed to share their opinions. I do not agree with him being suspended.

So you don't think its an issue that a rookie can potentially finish in the Top 20, but not make the 45 Angler field that gets to fish next year? Theoretically a rookie could potentially finish in 11th place in 2024 AOY standings, and if the 10 Anglers ahead of him are not in the Top 35 in Average Standings, he is out next year. Its an extremely flawed qualification system that seems to be designed to protect those already on the BPT.

Re: James Watson…. [Re: westxbass82] #15035546 04/03/24 04:57 PM
S
sprigsss Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
I don't have a problem with Watson getting suspended for the "fishing boat docks" deal. He had to have known that was going to happen. I have more of a problem with the events that lead to that. The previous fines James received were unjustified. He spoke the truth. Anglers supported him in private but no one stepped forward publicly. That's why I don't care what happens with MLF from here forward.

Re: James Watson…. [Re: westxbass82] #15035569 04/03/24 05:11 PM
S
SoonerDG Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Absolutely it sucks for the rookies. And it’s unfortunate that the company had to make this decision. But the likelihood of that happening is pretty small. It is designed to support the current BPT anglers and it absolutely should be. I don’t know if your job involves leading and managing people. But as a leader you ALWAYS take care of your people first. I mean should MLF go to these guys (who risked their careers to join a new company). And tell the “thanks to all you did but we’re gonna take care of the new guys now and y’all can go pound sand”

You need to quit with the “it’s not fair to the rookies” and understand the a business sometimes had to make tough decisions.

Re: James Watson…. [Re: SoonerDG] #15035625 04/03/24 05:58 PM
B
beartrap Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
Absolutely it sucks for the rookies. And it’s unfortunate that the company had to make this decision. But the likelihood of that happening is pretty small. It is designed to support the current BPT anglers and it absolutely should be. I don’t know if your job involves leading and managing people. But as a leader you ALWAYS take care of your people first. I mean should MLF go to these guys (who risked their careers to join a new company). And tell the “thanks to all you did but we’re gonna take care of the new guys now and y’all can go pound sand”

You need to quit with the “it’s not fair to the rookies” and understand the a business sometimes had to make tough decisions.

agree.....never have understood the animosity toward a group of anglers who in effect said..."we deserve a share of the huge TV and venue revenue because we are the attraction,not the owners" and when they were refused,they had the guts and Boyd's business sense to go out on their own and form MLF........

Re: James Watson…. [Re: beartrap] #15035630 04/03/24 06:01 PM
Mark Perry Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
Originally Posted by beartrap

agree.....never have understood the animosity toward a group of anglers who in effect said..."we deserve a share of the huge TV and venue revenue because we are the attraction,not the owners" and when they were refused,they had the guts and Boyd's business sense to go out on their own and form MLF........

I don't think it's animosity towards the anglers as much as it's more towards the management. Even Stevie Wonder can see some mistakes were made.

Re: James Watson…. [Re: Mark Perry] #15035636 04/03/24 06:09 PM
S
SoonerDG Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted by Mark Perry

I don't think it's animosity towards the anglers as much as it's more towards the management. Even Stevie Wonder can see some mistakes were made.

Lot of mistakes were made by BASS as well as they were getting established. And they continue even now. Along with one really big one that prompted the formation of the BPT.

Last edited by SoonerDG; 04/03/24 06:10 PM.

Re: James Watson…. [Re: beartrap] #15035638 04/03/24 06:12 PM
slim 285 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity

And it was Boyd’s business sense that let it be known that his intention was to put B.A.S.S. out of business by taking the so called stars of the show to MLF . The show was and is bigger than the players . Yes they all have the right to make a good living . And because of those words , there are some of us that would not piss down the throat of MLF if it was dying of thirst !

Re: James Watson…. [Re: westxbass82] #15035651 04/03/24 06:23 PM
D
Dale Gribble Offline
Angler
Angler
D

"agree.....never have understood the animosity toward a group of anglers who in effect said..."we deserve a share of the huge TV and venue revenue because we are the attraction,not the owners" and when they were refused,they had the guts and Boyd's business sense to go out on their own and form MLF........

This is a serious LOL , spoken like a disgruntled sales person that thinks a business's success is all him or her .....no risk no skin in the game and deserves the lion's share of proceeds

No one would argue that BASS had some serious snakes in the J M ownership era including him but Boyd D is a snake in his own category of snakishness and what Slim said is true he had one mission and that was to destroy BASS.

Re: James Watson…. [Re: SoonerDG] #15035656 04/03/24 06:31 PM
Mark Perry Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
Originally Posted by Mark Perry

Lot of mistakes were made by BASS as well as they were getting established. And they continue even now. Along with one really big one that prompted the formation of the BPT.

Not in such a short span of time. If one looks at it completely unbiasedly you have to admit there has been very little consistency year to year. Everything always goes back to the BASS comparison. Maybe more emphasis should be placed on building their identity and brand.

Re: James Watson…. [Re: Dale Gribble] #15035733 04/03/24 08:04 PM
B
beartrap Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by Dale Gribble

"agree.....never have understood the animosity toward a group of anglers who in effect said..."we deserve a share of the huge TV and venue revenue because we are the attraction,not the owners" and when they were refused,they had the guts and Boyd's business sense to go out on their own and form MLF........

This is a serious LOL , spoken like a disgruntled sales person that thinks a business's success is all him or her .....no risk no skin in the game and deserves the lion's share of proceeds

No one would argue that BASS had some serious snakes in the J M ownership era including him but Boyd D is a snake in his own category of snakishness and what Slim said is true he had one mission and that was to destroy BASS.

look at the big picture.... anglers do have skin in the game....they not only have entry fees ,their equipment cost travel expenses plus the cost of years of fishing experience they have to perform at that level plus they were financiing tournament winnings with their entry fees...I don't know what percent of the TV/venue income they were seeking but i seriously doubt it was a "lions share" but .they had a very valid reason for seeking a share of the TV and venue income......

Re: James Watson…. [Re: westxbass82] #15035792 04/03/24 09:48 PM
D
Dan21XRS Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
D
Well with MLF falturing, cutting cost it appears that the TV revenue just isn't there... Some keep saying it's the #1 viewed blah, blah, blah... If so they should be standing in high cotton and expanding to 200 anglers... Right???... Dan

"The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood"...
Lou Holtz
Re: James Watson…. [Re: SoonerDG] #15036211 04/04/24 04:11 AM
S
sprigsss Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S

I don’t think I will. To think anyone that finishes in the top half of the field can be cut is a seriously flawed system.

They simply have it bass ackwards.

They should pull the Top 35 from current 2024 AOY and then take the next 10 based off of average. Then Veterans can have a single bad year but let their long term consistency help them out. As it stands now First year Anglers can have a phenomenal year and beat the far majority of the field with no guarantee of remaining qualified. It’s ridiculous.

It’s even more ridiculous to think the only way a rookie can “guarantee” himself to survive is to finish in the Top 10 against the top fishermen.

No other circuit would ever have such a scenario where an Angler in the Top half of the standings would even be considered being cut.

Sorry, but it’s just 1 more thing they got wrong.

Re: James Watson…. [Re: westxbass82] #15036237 04/04/24 09:31 AM
W
wanta10lbbass Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
There's gonna be so much less to talk about in a few years when the BPT is gone.......
roflmao

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide