Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Larry Nixon retiring... #14898133 11/14/23 07:43 PM
B
beartrap Online Content OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Online Content
TFF Celebrity
B
https://www.bassmaster.com/elite/news/larry-nixon-retires-from-bassmaster-elite-series/

here is my Larry Nixon story...

back in late 80's my fishing partner from columbus,Ga. Clarence Callier entered one of the BASS tournys as a no-boater on lake martin....Clarence had only been bass fishing a few years but had developed into a pretty good C-rig fisherman....first couple of days of the tourny, Clarence had good sacks of fish and was going into the last day in second place...He drew larry Nixon who also was contending for the win...Larry was catching fish on a crankbait just running the bank and the boat was just moving too fast for Clarence to fish the C-rig effectively and he hadn't caught anything....
after couple hours Larry offered Clarence one of his crankbaits and told him he would have to re-spool to lighter line for it to work....it was a bitter cold day,Clarence had been in car wreck previously and had broke his hands up so his fingers were numb and he was really struggling to re-spool his rod...Larry saw what was happening,stopped fishing and re-spooled clarences rod for him and tied one of his crankbaits on clarences rod....Clarence managed to catch enough fish to remain in either second or third place........Larry also finished high in the tourny....after the tourny,I walked over to help clarence get his stuff out of larry's boat and he introduced me to Larry..I was immediately impressed with what a down to earth and really nice guy he was....

FWIW...this was in mid 80's and Nixon was running a Nitro boat....he told us he was being paid $85,000.00 a year plus free boat to run the nitro and Rick Clunn was getting $125,000.00 plus free boat....I believe this was right after Bass Pro bought Nitro boats....keep in mind this was mid 80's and that was a lot of money and why some pro fishermen were paid very well even back then and able to buy ranches/hunting lands (Klein,ken cook,denny brauer,rick clunn,timmy horton plus others)....

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Larry Nixon retiring... [Re: beartrap] #14898158 11/14/23 08:07 PM
C
Coolarrow Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
I got to meet Larry at a tournament and was able to talk to him. Super nice guy. I have an autographed hat hung up in the closet he signed for me. Great fisherman.

Re: Larry Nixon retiring... [Re: beartrap] #14898240 11/14/23 09:24 PM
H
Houston Basscat Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
At what point does Gleason get another shot????

Re: Larry Nixon retiring... [Re: Houston Basscat] #14898257 11/14/23 09:50 PM
Chris B Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Houston Basscat
At what point does Gleason get another shot????

I think three or four more have to quit.

[Linked Image]
Re: Larry Nixon retiring... [Re: beartrap] #14898275 11/14/23 10:01 PM
rickys Online Content
Angler
Online Content
Angler
Oh man...I thought he was only two or maybe three down the list. Had no clue he was that far down. I would've thought Hallman might have saved him. I thought this one would go to another legend first and then down the list if a legend didn't get it. This stuff gets a little too confusing. They need to just put a simple list out there who's on the chopping block after every event etc... be a whole lot easier to keep up with. Some one has to have an excel spreadsheet for this.

Re: Larry Nixon retiring... [Re: beartrap] #14898294 11/14/23 10:24 PM
B
basscaster46 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted by beartrap
https://www.bassmaster.com/elite/news/larry-nixon-retires-from-bassmaster-elite-series/

back in late 80's my fishing partner from columbus,Ga. Clarence Callier entered one of the BASS tournys as a no-boater on lake martin....Clarence had only been bass fishing a few years but had developed into a pretty good C-rig fisherman....first couple of days of the tourny, Clarence had good sacks of fish and was going into the last day in second place...He drew larry Nixon who also was contending for the win...Larry was catching fish on a crankbait just running the bank and the boat was just moving too fast for Clarence to fish the C-rig effectively and he hadn't caught anything....
after couple hours Larry offered Clarence one of his crankbaits and told him he would have to re-spool to lighter line for it to work....it was a bitter cold day,Clarence had been in car wreck previously and had broke his hands up so his fingers were numb and he was really struggling to re-spool his rod...Larry saw what was happening,stopped fishing and re-spooled clarences rod for him and tied one of his crankbaits on clarences rod....Clarence managed to catch enough fish to remain in either second or third place........Larry also finished high in the tourny....after the tourny,I walked over to help clarence get his stuff out of larry's boat and he introduced me to Larry..I was immediately impressed with what a down to earth and really nice guy he was....

FWIW...this was in mid 80's and Nixon was running a Nitro boat....he told us he was being paid $85,000.00 a year plus free boat to run the nitro and Rick Clunn was getting $125,000.00 plus free boat....I believe this was right after Bass Pro bought Nitro boats....keep in mind this was mid 80's and that was a lot of money and why some pro fishermen were paid very well even back then and able to buy ranches/hunting lands (Klein,ken cook,denny brauer,rick clunn,timmy horton plus others)....

Bet few anglers get deals like that anymore.

I got all day Iā€™m retired
Re: Larry Nixon retiring... [Re: beartrap] #14898299 11/14/23 10:28 PM
Fish Killer Offline
Big Sexy
Big Sexy
Nixon was always one of my favorites. Loved to see him the last couple of years on the big stage again.

Enjoy your retirement, you defiantly have earned it!

LIKE the TFF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum

You want to make a difference in life? Take a kid fishing!
Re: Larry Nixon retiring... [Re: beartrap] #14898303 11/14/23 10:32 PM
R
Rescue Fire Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
Board Pro just texted me that he's retiring because of this Milkening fella.

Re: Larry Nixon retiring... [Re: beartrap] #14898320 11/14/23 10:51 PM
G
grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
The General was my favorite growing up, loved watching his videos on VHS. I hope they can work him into a broadcast booth.

Sorry, if my comment isnā€™t pertinent enough for you Beartrapā€¦ roflmao

Re: Larry Nixon retiring... [Re: grout-scout] #14898356 11/14/23 11:33 PM
Happykamper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Larry is as good as they come thumb

[Linked Image]
Re: Larry Nixon retiring... [Re: beartrap] #14898406 11/15/23 12:14 AM
D
Dan21XRS Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Met Mr. Nixon in 1996 at a boat dealers open house... He'd been my hero since he won the Classic on the Ohio River in 1983... Very nice guy... Dan

"The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood"...
Lou Holtz
Re: Larry Nixon retiring... [Re: beartrap] #14898461 11/15/23 12:51 AM
D
Dubee Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
D

He entered the invitational as a nonboater? And finished top 3?

Re: Larry Nixon retiring... [Re: beartrap] #14898520 11/15/23 01:49 AM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy

One of my all time favorite BASS guys. Super nice guy and great angler.

Re: Larry Nixon retiring... [Re: Dubee] #14898583 11/15/23 03:14 AM
B
beartrap Online Content OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Online Content
TFF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by Dubee

back then these were boater /non boater tournys ,,boaters competed against other boatersā€¦no boaters against other no boatersā€¦

Re: Larry Nixon retiring... [Re: beartrap] #14898668 11/15/23 09:26 AM
D
Dubee Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by Dubee

back then these were boater /non boater tournys ,,boaters competed against other boatersā€¦no boaters against other no boatersā€¦

I know there were boater/nonboater tournaments. I fished Redman. I never heard of a nonboater in the invitationals

Last edited by Dubee; 11/15/23 12:36 PM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide